2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone, I am on the market for a new digital piano.
At home I have an acoustic grand, but I would like to get a good quality stage piano/controller for VST's, headphone practice, band rehearsals etc... Even if I am still not sure whether to go with a real stage piano (Kawai MP or Roland RD line) or with a controller (Roland or Studiologic), my budget is around 1500-2000€.
Since I haven't been following the various companies' gear talks for the last years, have there been rumors/indications/announcements about new major releases at NAMM2019 in the digital piano department that would make me want to wait a few more months before buying? Or should I just go and pull the trigger already?
I would like to add that I am in no rush and have no commitments that force me to have a piano as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance!

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
There's is no correct answer.

Even if something is announced at winter NAMM in late January, it may take a while before said model(s) become available.

We have some speculations here every now and then. They are just more or less educated guesses of course as any inside information is kept inside.

It's not so long since Roland introduced the RD-2000, so that's probably with us for a while. Of course they might upgrade the lower RD range with something within your budget. Roland's FP models are still quite new.

We have sometimes speculated on a Kawai ES-9 or ES-8 SE, but is there really anything revolutionary Kawai might add? A hypothetical Responsive Hammer 4 action? (We now have Responsive Hammer 3.) Some of my guesses for such a model were e.g. the Spatial Headphone Sound (SHS) and Bluetooth. I've seen a rumour for a Kawai ES-120, but your budget allows something fancier.

Yamaha's P-515 is still quite recent. Maybe they could come up with some cheaper new P model that would actually replace the old P-255. Who knows?

Casio? Meh...they do update the sounds every now and then and so far have have had only minor changes to their action. Nothing big. And you are used to a real grand, so maybe a Privia isn't close enough. Though many are happy with it.

There's still time before NAMM to try out the current models. Some other brands would be Korg, Dexibell, Kurzweil and Studiologic.

P
P
I am in the very same position at the moment.
I finally want to replace my trusty Kawai MP8 simply because i want something just a bit lighter and faster.
I recently noticed that there are some nights i experience the MP8’s action as heavy..... other nights not so much..
I know the VPC-1 because a friend has one, but i would surely bang my head against the wall if Kawai showed a VPC-2 at last, with the GF-C action and just maybe a pitchbend/modulation solution and the superiour pedal of the MP11 SE.

I can wait for half a year, but knowing the VPC-2 will simply something that will never materialise leaves only the MP11SE to choose.
But it has an action that appeals the least between GF-GF2-GFC to me personally. The original MP11 is quite a bit lighter than the MP8 or even the VPC-1 (which is lighter than the MP8).
Therefor the Grand feel (original) is the one i’d rather avoid.

I really cannot wrap my head around Kawai.
I truly dig their actions from the MP9000 and onwards, but despite the fact that i am ready to spend money i simply cannot choose the best action in a mobile package.
Why did they abbandon the philosophy of the best actions in the MP9000, MP9500, MP8, MP82,.... ??
And ‘stilll a very good action’ is a rather moot point.... the MP8 also has ‘still a very good action’ compared to all other brands in my opinion.
I wish i could know some Kawai details about 2019....would make things so much easier.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I agree with the answer by clotheared. The other thing to factor, is that even if there is something new in the range you are looking at, you might not like it! On the other hand it’s now just weeks away so waiting might be ok according to your circumstances.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you guys for chiming in.
About the MP series, I was kinda drifting away from it because of its very heavy weight.
Inspired by clotheared's reply, I was actually checking the release dates of two of the models I was thinking about buying (RD-800 and Studiologic Numa Concert), and found out that both are 3-4 years old. This might indeed play in favor for waiting a few weeks longer and make a more aware decision.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
At this point you might as well wait, I do think that the actions these days are so good that even if they come out with a new one how much improvement will you get?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission