Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (bennevis, akc42, Beowulf, ando, airbeta, AZNpiano, Bett, agent8698, 17 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options #2788691
12/07/18 10:21 AM
12/07/18 10:21 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Hi everyone, new member here, first time post. I'll give an executive summary, and then some background/detail. Really appreciate any help here.

I have a Yamaha P60 full size keyboard that I got in college when I was moving often and needed portability. I'm now settled, have a home, with some space, and the black plastic thing on a black metal frame is a bit of an eyesore in the fairly "formal" room where I've set up my music corner. I've also been irritated by the single pedal, that's not at all like a piano pedal, and slides around the floor as I'm playing. The P60 has a "decent" action for a keyboard, and sounds "fine" but I'm kind of ready for something more substantial, aesthetically, and functionally.
Sure, I could hop on Craigslist and buy a used upright for <$500, but in my time I've played plenty of cheap uprights (and grands) with both worse action and sound than my P60. I don't want to get something big, heavy, hard to sell and move that I'm going to want to upgrade in a few months. I'd like to buy something that will work for me and my family (I have two young boys who I hope will share my love of music) and be a sort of "lifetime" investment.

But I'm not settled in on exactly what I want yet, and need some direction.

Right now, I'm assuming I will need an upright format, though I have a large room, and could conceivably rearrange it around a compact grand.

"Action" is slightly more important to me than overall sound quality, I like to have some good dynamic range (something the P60 really lacks).

I see a few options.

"Digital" piano: CLP-685 looks like it's at the top of the market here, as far as the action goes. The "AvantGrand" NU1X looks like a contender as well, though I can't find much commentary directly comparing these two. In either case,I see the "pro" of something that doesn't need tuning, having the ability to adjust volume, and different voices.
The con for me is I'd always feel like I had something "fake", something that will be technologically obsolete, and not quite the lifetime/heirloom investment I'm hoping for.

Acoustic Piano: Here's where I get really confused. With digitals, it's easier because I see basically newer=better, and for the 2 that are really in my head, a price range of $6-8,000... Acoustics, we go from nearly free Craigslist clunkers, to more than the value of my house for a professional concert grand.. Just to be fair, I'd say it's reasonable to pick a price range comparable to the digitals I'm considering. This seems to get into a mid-range Yamaha upright (B2, or P22, etc) or an Essex, or an entry level Baldwin.
OR perhaps a low/mid range used grand.. Or a higher end used upright. We don't seem to have many piano stores in my area.. I know of a Yamaha dealer, and a Steinway gallery, both of which have some used pianos in stock.

Now for the background:

I've been playing piano since I was ~5, but have had various stages of disinterest, or just not having time or inclination to mess with it. I have no imagination of being a professional musician, but don't imagine myself a beginner... From middle-high school my main instrument was organ (we actually had a full size church organ in our house) and at one point I could actually make my way through Tocatta&Fuegue in D Minor. My skills have regressed since then, but things seem to be coming back somewhat quickly.

Now, I enjoy piano, but my all-time-favorite instrument is the pipe organ... I won't be getting one of those in my home anytime soon, so here the digital piano option has some appeal, but modern digitals seem to have a thousand other features I don't care about at all...
If I had a huge house and an unlimited budget, a concert Steinway and a pipe organ would suit me fine. I don't care about having 100 other "voices", metronomes, recording, graphic equalizers, etc...

How strongly should I consider the idea of a "compact" grand, and is it reasonable to get a "lifetime" heirloom quality grand <$10,000? I don't really have a hard budget, I'm more trying to explore what my budget should be to get something I'll be happy with... If it means delaying a purchase 2-5 years to get something I'll keep for 30 years rather then be bored of after 2, then I'll do it.. However, I'm not really in a position where spending more than $10k seems like a smart thing to do in the forseeable future, and I'd much rather be comfortably below that.

A grand would also mean a major "redecorate" of a room that right now has a music corner, and repurpose it as a "music room" with a conversational corner..

I've always liked Yamaha instruments, though I've read some pretty compelling reviews that indicate the Essex is a better made piano. I know Steinways are spectacular, but I'm always wary of "budget" brands from premium manufacturers.

I'm sorry for the rambling... I'm hoping to get to the Yamaha dealer this weekend to get a side by side comparison of digital vs acoustic, and may even check out the Steinway gallery over lunch today. That should start to answer some questions..

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788709
12/07/18 10:50 AM
12/07/18 10:50 AM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

With either the Yamaha or Kawai grand being10-15 years old and not being used in an institution you would be fine.
Actions on these grands are very good. Yamaha has somewhat a brighter tone compared to Kawai.
However you would have to stretch your budget maybe slightly over 10k.
Just try a few C2, C3 Yamahas and RX2, RX3 Kawais.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788751
12/07/18 12:26 PM
12/07/18 12:26 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
You sound like a candidate for a Hybrid. You'll get an adjustable action, state of the art digital technology and access to other sounds if no other way than through MIDI. You're price will be about the same as a decent entry level small grand or maybe even less.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788763
12/07/18 01:17 PM
12/07/18 01:17 PM
S
SilentQ Offline
SilentQ  Offline
S

Hello,

I will start by saying that I have tried some of the organ voices on a digital and they just do not sound proper. Perhaps they would sound better if they were really high end digitals, but of that I am unsure.

Do not discount the idea of a quality upright at a good price. A local dealer has some uprights that I was quite inclined to buy even going in with the desires of a grand. Check out some of the prices on both his line and the Lomence line. Just keep in mind that this is a Canadian dealer and all prices are CAD.

http://www.jdgrandt.com/

Terribly sorry if links to stores are not allowed. I do not work for him or receive commission. I just had a very good experience with this dealer.

Q

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788779
12/07/18 02:28 PM
12/07/18 02:28 PM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
I'd also suggest a quality used upright which should be well within your 'comfortable' range and rewarding to play for many years - plenty of time to crystallise your thoughts around that 'heirloom quality grand' and whether you really want such a thing.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788781
12/07/18 02:34 PM
12/07/18 02:34 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
For that kind of money, and if an heirloom is fairly important, I would go with a U1/K300 or U3/K500. I think you are off on the upright prices - a B2 is less than $6K new in my area which is not to far from you (MSRP's are quite a bit higher than actual prices on the street). I think the K300 is around $7K new and should be similar for the U1. Being a thrifty guy, I would go make friends with my local RPT and 1) ask him if he knows of any newer used ones for sale, and 2) if he will be able to inspect used one that you find. Just talk to him or her, then can give you lots of information. He may even know of a local higher end upright that you can snag for $8K.

Actually, if I was in the young family stage, I would just find a really nice used Yamaha or Kawai upright for $3-4K...Good Luck!

Progman
1997 Baldwin 'Classic' Console
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788797
12/07/18 03:20 PM
12/07/18 03:20 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Thanks for the opinions here. So far my research has consisted of online, and it seems the piano industry uses the same irritating "retail" price markings of the guitar industry, and none of the local dealers mention prices for used or new pianos on their websites, so the MSRP is all I've had to go on so far.

I'm curious as to the response someone more knowledgeable has on this comparison of Essex vs Yamaha
http://www.artist-pianos.com/about/blog/yamaha-vs-kawai/
I see this happens to be an Essex dealer but found it a pretty compelling sales-pitch. Then again, I know cars, and a little about guitars, and nearly nothing about pianos.

From a brand standpoint, especially if I start looking at used options (which I will do), is there a standout brand, or short list of "top tier" brands to limit my search to? I have a pretty good impression of Yamaha overall. I know Steinway is outstanding, but likely not feasible in my price range. I know of Esses and Boston only due to their relationship to Steinway.
I'm familiar with Baldwin but not sure how they stack up against similarly priced instruments from Yamaha, etc. Yamaha, Steinway(&relatives), and Baldwin are really the only ones I'm familiar with, but I'm sure I'm missing others, that I may rule out simply based on lack of familiarity.

As I said, right now I'm more focused on getting a particular piano that I'll be happy with for some time. I know I've played various entry level pianos (Sammick etc) over the years that I wouldn't trade my P60 keyboard for..

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: SilentQ] #2788813
12/07/18 03:42 PM
12/07/18 03:42 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
For starters you should thoroughly read the Piano Book, the Piano Buyer, and other books by Larry Fine(see link in left hand column) as by far the best source of unbiased information about pianos and piano pricing. Your postings on this thread show misconceptions about several things in addition to MSRP and Essex.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: SilentQ] #2788816
12/07/18 03:45 PM
12/07/18 03:45 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by SilentQ
Do not discount the idea of a quality upright at a good price. A local dealer has some uprights that I was quite inclined to buy even going in with the desires of a grand. Check out some of the prices on both his line and the Lomence line. Just keep in mind that this is a Canadian dealer and all prices are CAD.http://www.jdgrandt.com/
IMO this is a bad idea since the OP is unlikely to travel to Canada to try out the pianos, and it's almost never a good idea to buy a piano, especially one of little known quality, without trying it out personally.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788819
12/07/18 03:51 PM
12/07/18 03:51 PM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

Yamaha C series are surely a safe bet unless it is not an institutional piano. Simply because of the consistent build quality
With grands 5' 8" and above sizes should be considered. There are some good ones as the 5'6" Estonia. But that is an exception.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788826
12/07/18 04:11 PM
12/07/18 04:11 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Yamaha U1, Kawai K300 and the taller U3 and k500 uprights are dependable instruments and known to last .They are made in Japan which has a long traditional of piano making .The Essex is supposed to be designed by Steinways but is made in China .They generally are not as well regarded as a Yahama U1 .These are all uprights .
The Boston uprights are good uprights ,also designed by Steinways but made in Japan by Kawai except for the shorter institutional model which is made in Indonesia. Boston pianos are more expensive than the Essex .The Yamaha P22 is now made in indonesia. Also some of the Kawai K300 are made in Indonesia and
some are made in Japan.
A good upright is better than a mediocre or bad grand piano .If you buy a used piano you could also look for a good German piano .
Best wishes .

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788866
12/07/18 06:06 PM
12/07/18 06:06 PM
So. Calif.
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber

So. Calif.
Mackguy,

You are in an enviable position. A young guy, two young boys, and a wife that is apparently supportive of having a grand piano in her living room. smile. I have a Kawai NV-10. I like it a lot as it is a very good hybrid subsititude for a grand piano. It has the same action as the Kawai GL30 and GX1. (Both 5’5” grands). So I highly recommend it. However, if I could I would trade it in for a Kawai or Yamaha, Boston, etc. grand piano, even smaller than 5’5” in a heartbeat. Get the real grand and you won’t regret it.

Kawai Novus NV10
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788897
12/07/18 07:47 PM
12/07/18 07:47 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted by mackguy

"Digital" piano: CLP-685 looks like it's at the top of the market here, as far as the action goes. The "AvantGrand" NU1X looks like a contender as well, though I can't find much commentary directly comparing these two. In either case,I see the "pro" of something that doesn't need tuning, having the ability to adjust volume, and different voices.
The con for me is I'd always feel like I had something "fake", something that will be technologically obsolete, and not quite the lifetime/heirloom investment I'm hoping for.

CLP-685 does not have the top of the market action. In fact, it has one of the worst actions IMHO, very initial touch-weight heavy and feels unnatural. You should search for/ask in the DP forum about CLP-685 and of course try it out yourself. The top of the market actions would be Yamaha AvantGrand N1/N2/N3/N3X and Kawai Novus NV10. Re: NU1X - note that it has upright action and not grand action and has a loud note issue that some people find objectionable but some are fine with (there is a long thread in DP forum regarding this). The action in latest Roland LX-706/708 looks good on paper though I don't have any opinion to share as I haven't yet played these - but they are in your price range and you should check these out. Among these choices, I would recommend Kawai Novus NV10.

Re: acoustic vs. digital, that is a very hard and personal choice - good luck! smile. But, if you like pipe organ sound, perhaps a digital piano has more to offer as you can get both piano and pipe organ sounds with a DP?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Embertone Walker D Full/Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788906
12/07/18 09:54 PM
12/07/18 09:54 PM
North Tx
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
dhull100  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
D

North Tx
It is important to take your time and get a feel in person for what's available. I have played the latest Yamaha and Kawai top of the line hybrid pianos and do not find them compelling, though the actions feel fairly nice. But you do not have anything near the control over produced sound compared to a grand piano (or upright). Simply one person's opinion. Don't decide based chiefly on what you find in forums, though they are helpful. Let us know your thoughts as you play them.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2788942
12/08/18 02:19 AM
12/08/18 02:19 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
There are good Chinese pianos as well .These include Ritmuiler, Kaiserberg and Hailun as examples .You need to take time playing all of these .Do not rush into buying. Always have a piano technician check any used piano before you buy .The Yamaha P22 is still also highly regarded.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789185
12/08/18 06:30 PM
12/08/18 06:30 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Hi everyone,
Thanks again for the thoughts.

I have actually visited a piano gallery and given a cursory look at a few options. I looked at the NUX1, CSP-150, and CSP-170 digital options.
Of those I liked the NUX1 but it lacks a pipe organ sound, and some of the educational features which are the main appeal of a digital to me, and costing substantially more than the CSP series was a negative.
Between the 150 and 170 is a $1,000 difference.

For acoustics I sampled a new 5’8” Pearl River that the dealer would sell for $8,500 (I think), a used (age unknown) Kawai GM1 4’10” grand for $7,350, and a 1988 Yamaha G2 which they would sell for $8,675.
The Yamaha is in a medium/dark wood finish that I prefer over “Ebony”.
Delivery is included in those prices. I didn’t have a chance to get into what (if any) warranty was offered on the used pianos, nor did I have the opportunity to fully inspect them due to kids going crazy, so I’d need a 2nd trip solo to fully evaluate. Also need to check a few other local places.

Now: my conclusion was I really liked the G2, and the price seems “reasonable”. I like that it is wood finished not black, it had a nice action and sound. Assuming everything else on it holds up to a more thorough inspection is there any reason to NOT pursue this model/age in that price range (I think there may be some room left in that price, but it’s marked at $10k)

I like the digital and may go that way but only as a steppingstone, so going as cheap as possible, while getting the features I want would be the plan. CSP-150 or perhaps going cheaper.

Thoughts?

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789215
12/08/18 08:28 PM
12/08/18 08:28 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Both Yahama and Kawai make good uprights and grands .If however you are thinking of the piano becoming an heirloom you really need to get something newer than than from1988 .Pianos age just like people, they become in need much work to keep them going and then most become useless .
Perhaps a new Essex or Yahama B2 or B3 would be much better and you would have a warranty. These are uprights ,but you could later trade them in for a grand .An Essex upright would be way better than the other brand you mentioned.
Also the Yamaha B series although made in Indonesia is made by a Yamaha factory there .So quality control one would expect to be good .
Please Google Piano Brands Piano Buyer . Best wishes.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 12/08/18 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: Lady Bird] #2789225
12/08/18 09:25 PM
12/08/18 09:25 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Both Yahama and Kawai make good uprights and grands .If however you are thinking of the piano becoming an heirloom you really need to get something newer than than from1988 .Pianos age just like people, they become in need much work to keep them going and then most become useless .
Perhaps a new Essex or Yahama B2 or B3 would be much better and you would have a warranty. These are uprights ,but you could later trade them in for a grand .An Essex upright would be way better than the other brand you mentioned.
Also the Yamaha B series although made in Indonesia is made by a Yamaha factory there .So quality control one would expect to be good .
Please Google Piano Brands Piano Buyer . Best wishes.
To me "heirloom", implies a certain quality. Since Essex is not of that quality, it's not a good choice for an heirloom piano.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789245
12/08/18 10:46 PM
12/08/18 10:46 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Neither is a 1988 Yamaha piano .What I said is he could trade in a new
Essex in a few years time for a newer grand or better upright !An Essex is certainly better than a PR grand !

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789247
12/08/18 10:47 PM
12/08/18 10:47 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Neither is a 1988 Yamaha piano .What I said is he could trade in a new
Essex in a few years time for a newer grand or better upright !An Essex is certainly better than a PR grand !
What heirloom quality can you get for $10,000 ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 12/08/18 10:49 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789315
12/09/18 09:11 AM
12/09/18 09:11 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
500 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southwest
This is just my humble opinion. Is your heirloom piano one that will last long enough for your children to learn piano and still be playable for their own children to start lessons on? Or is an heirloom piano one which your children and grandchildren will regard as the family treasure, never to be sold, and when completely restored will enchant family members with its gorgeous sound.
The second scenario is pretty much restricted to big expensive Tier 1 pianos, which just don’t fall in your price range (darn it). The first one can be found with advice and inspection from a qualified piano technician. Besides the initial purchase price, the piano should get regular tuning, regulation, voicing, and always be placed in a comfortable indoor environment away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Best of luck in your piano search.

J & J
Yahama C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano salesman is my best fan!
[Linked Image]
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789316
12/09/18 09:13 AM
12/09/18 09:13 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Can you be more specific regarding concerns with the 1988 Yamaha?
My understanding had been that Yamaha were solid quality instruments.

Everything I’ve been able to find on the G2 sounds like it’s a solid (if not exceptional) grand, and the price is at least in the right range (I can find them listed from $5500-$16,000)

Can you also clarify comments regarding Essex? Almost everything I’ve read on this board has been negative towards Essex, in relation to Yamaha, but you’re indicating they are superior?

I do plan to visit the Steinway gallery this week to see what used options they have, and may try to find another dealer or 2 at least.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: j&j] #2789320
12/09/18 09:30 AM
12/09/18 09:30 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC

This is a great question, and worth clarification.

My oldest son today is just under 5 years old, so I have no good way to gage his interest in learning piano for a lifetime, and a grand piano is rather a large burden to expect the next generation to carry on if not even interested.

So my definition would be more in terms of something that, properly maintained, will work well for the rest of my lifetime, and be something children remember fondly, even if they choose to liquidate it via estate sale.

Recognizing price constrsints, a “dream” piano (9’ Steinway) isn’t remotely feasible, but I want something good enough to not feel held back by an inferior instrument. I.e. if circumstances change, and I reach a point where spending $30-50,00 on a piano is reasonable I may choose to trade up, but never feel like I “must” trade due to having a junk piano.

Example: my grandfather had a Yamaha guitar that he bought decades ago (well before I was born). While I’m sure he would have loved a Martin guitar, he kept the Yamaha because it suited his needs and was still playable and souded great.
These days my uncle has the Yamaha (along a collection of more premium guitars) and treasures the Yamaha not because it’s terribly valuable, but because it was his dad’s. And though it’s surely worth less than $500, it still plays and sounds great.

Originally Posted by j&j
This is just my humble opinion. Is your heirloom piano one that will last long enough for your children to learn piano and still be playable for their own children to start lessons on? Or is an heirloom piano one which your children and grandchildren will regard as the family treasure, never to be sold, and when completely restored will enchant family members with its gorgeous sound.
The second scenario is pretty much restricted to big expensive Tier 1 pianos, which just don’t fall in your price range (darn it). The first one can be found with advice and inspection from a qualified piano technician. Besides the initial purchase price, the piano should get regular tuning, regulation, voicing, and always be placed in a comfortable indoor environment away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Best of luck in your piano search.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789322
12/09/18 09:37 AM
12/09/18 09:37 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
500 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southwest
Yamaha and Kawai make several different tiers of pianos that range widely in price and quality. A 1988 piano has 30 years of wear and tear on it so it’s value depends on the mileage. Was it played frequently and regularly maintained or was it used and abused by kids running toy trucks over its keys and moved by family members to an unheated garage?
Check out the other dealers, narrow your choices between two or three pianos, then get a piano tech to give you a full report on your top two choices.
There are strong brand preferences here on the forum but only you can decide what piano you’ll fall in love with and buy.

J & J
Yahama C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano salesman is my best fan!
[Linked Image]
Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789329
12/09/18 10:06 AM
12/09/18 10:06 AM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

Mackguy, IMO used pianos whether from an established brand or from a reputable dealer, still must be inspected by a qualified technician.
As for your last visit, again IMO the minimum size you should be looking in grands is 5'8" and bigger.
Also G2 series is strippied down version of the C series.
I highly recommend the C series. Or RX series for Kawai.
1988 is a little bit old considering your children's age. IMO you would be safer with a piano around 15 years old.
It might require to stretch your budget a bit. But this has always been the case here. Each of us started with a lower budget than what we actually ended up.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789355
12/09/18 11:36 AM
12/09/18 11:36 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Well you bring up an interesting point on G vs C series that I’ve been researching some.
While information is somewhat unclear to me, my best determination is that there was not a concurrent G2 and C2. The G2 was made from ~1947-1994, and in 1994 waa replaced by the C2, which introduced a few new features and increased size to 5’8”

So the G2 should have been the top/only compact (<6’) in 1988.

Based on this site they seem to indicate that age Yamaha G2 should be $10-15,000 but not sure if this site is reliable.
https://www.craftsmanpiano.net/buying-a-used-piano-and-the-price-you-should-expect-to-pay/

I like this particular G2 because it is the dark wood finish which I strongly prefer to the standard black.

[Linked Image]

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789358
12/09/18 11:46 AM
12/09/18 11:46 AM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC
Just for reference, here’s the room I’m working with.
It’s ~12’x24’ so size isn’t a huge constraint, and my wife is very supportive of making it a “music room with a sitting area” rather than current sitting room with a music corner

[img]https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/6lcoBt7iqdh7yFgKR2I27oTKOv6X1CjweDrESEqPhsQ[/img]

[img]https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Zl7CHIKOH8qe09JeLbEs2O72H862bYsQqkUzbjGAe1D[/img]

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789369
12/09/18 12:10 PM
12/09/18 12:10 PM
Lexington, NC
M
mackguy Offline OP
mackguy  Offline OP
M

Lexington, NC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789388
12/09/18 12:52 PM
12/09/18 12:52 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Since digital pianos have become better as instruments there is this very weird thought process that a good accoustic upright is not worth buying .It goes further Instead of paying a little more say $12,000or even up to 14,000 where I could buy a new Yahama U1 or a Kawai 300 or perhaps even a U3 or U5 all Japanese made instruments which would last until my children are adults I will rather buy a Yahama grand from 1988 .
I used to teach the piano and had a good Kawai grand piano and a
Yahama U1. I sold the grand recently .It was 47 years old .It was still a good piano but had MANY problems .If I thought it worth it I would have had it rebuilt it but decided to sell it and the Yamaha U1 which was made in 1984 .They had aged .
Since we are both retired and we both play we decided to treat our selves and we bought a new Sauter 130 upright which we both love .
I wish you well with your piano hunting but please do not be fooled into thinking a 1988 glamorous looking Yahama is going to be musically functional in a few years time without major work done which is going to cost $$$ .Also do not just think you can just sell it then because we went through that process and the piano sold for very little.

Re: (sort of) first time piano buyer, with too many options [Re: mackguy] #2789405
12/09/18 01:37 PM
12/09/18 01:37 PM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

Sorry my mistake. I confused it with GC2.
G is the series is the series before C series which is replaced by C series.
That G2 looks gorgeous.
Have it checked by a unbiased technician. And if he/she approves go for it. You won't regret a minute.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
What should I read next?
by lunobili. 12/14/18 12:51 AM
VST - TruePianos vs AddictiveKeys from XLN Audio
by ManishP. 12/13/18 11:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,896
Posts2,771,051
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission