2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimM_980
Thanks for all the comments/advice. I have decided to keep it at 440. I am not ready to deal with a potential disaster. I called the manufacturer to see if the piano can handle lowering the pitch and the technician there told me it is a bad idea for the piano. He also said to ignore people on pianoworld forum because half the stuff on here is terrible information.

grin You have chosen wisely.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the comments/advice. I have decided to keep it at 440. I am not ready to deal with a potential disaster. I called the manufacturer to see if the piano can handle lowering the pitch and the technician there told me it is a bad idea for the piano. He also said to ignore people on pianoworld forum because half the stuff on here is terrible information.

C'mon! If half the information here is terrible, it means the other half is great! So at least you break even! laugh

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
The space-time continuum is safe! For the time being anyway....

How do you know that the technician at the manufacturer doesn't have half terrible information?

Could he give us a breakdown of how the half thing works, since he is an expert? I mean, is it the case that half the contributors here give all bad, and the other half all good, information? Or does every contributor give half good and half bad information? Is the information in each post half good and half bad, or is it the case that half of one's posts are all good, and the other half of one's posts all bad? Should I call the guy every time I want to post, to check the good/bad ratio?

There are of course other possible fractional variables and probabilities. But that's too much arithmetic for me.....

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Pianoworld also tells me that a manufacturers' technician says that half the information on Pianoworld is terrible, including the information that a manufacturers' technician says that half the information on Pianoworld is terrible, including the information that a manufacturers' technician says that half the information on Pianoworld is terrible...

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
IMO, this is a valuable lesson. It can be demonstrated that some portion of the information provided on PW is simply opinion unsubstantiated by fact. Other information is provided and butressed by verifiable data.

For the most part, opinions lacking supporting evidence should be ignored, unless they refer strictly to a subjective bias - “Red is the best colour.”

Information butressed by facts can be studied and then accepted or rejected. The best arguments occur n both sides provide valid and possibly contradictory evidence.

Just my opinion. whistle

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Having not tuned my 1945 (about) B.Brock upright for "about" 4yrs I found that the notes from A3 to A4 had dropped fairly evenly, and as A4 was just about 435, which is the lowest setting on my Yamaha (Ha! Ha!), tuner I thouht I'd stick to A4 at 435.
Seems to be sounding fine but then I'm no great pianist !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Then tell him to come on PW'S Technical Forum and set us all straight. smile

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
T
OP Offline
T
There are so many comedians on here. I'm starting to think the 50% estimate should be a little bit higher.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Said without a smiley, TimM_980?

Can I just kindly, gently, politely and wistfully suggest that it does not sit very well, somehow, for a person to join this forum a few days ago, post one question, get replies from some of the most experienced piano people around (I don't mean myself) and then to recount the disparaging comment of an un-named person that half the information in here is terrible.

It is not.

Experienced people have different views on things, and that is fine - many aspects of piano work are open to discussion.

You have joined here, and had the benefit of some very informed opinions.

I now challenge your source to identify himself or herself and state which of the advice that you have been offered here is "terrible". Rather as Joe suggests above.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You have never said why you wanted your piano to be at A432. You were asked at the beginning of the post. The reasons why others in the past who request this tuning are based on pseudoscience and stupidity. That is why you will not be taken seriously.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Said without a smiley, TimM_980?

Can I just kindly, gently, politely and wistfully suggest that it does not sit very well, somehow, for a person to join this forum a few days ago, post one question, get replies from some of the most experienced piano people around (I don't mean myself) and then to recount the disparaging comment of an un-named person that half the information in here is terrible.

It is not.

Experienced people have different views on things, and that is fine - many aspects of piano work are open to discussion.

You have joined here, and had the benefit of some very informed opinions.

I now challenge your source to identify himself or herself and state which of the advice that you have been offered here is "terrible". Rather as Joe suggests above.

Sorry I meant it in jest. I missed the smiley face part smile. I was trying to go along with the fun.

I said I appreciated the comments/advice. I should have kept my mouth shut about what the technician told me. I’m not sure if he said half the stuff, most of the stuff, or some of the stuff. I don’t remember the exact word. I’m new to piano technology and can’t tell what is good advice/bad advice, or who are the most experienced people around. I apologize for causing trouble.

The reason why I wanted to tune to 432 is because somebody said it sounds better and thought I’d try to see if it actually made a difference and then tune back to 440 when I’m done.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Whether tuning to another pitch sounds better or worse depends on your pitch sensitivity and what you are used to. I tuned a piano to 435 for a customer years ago, and to me it sounded worse, but it may have been fine to him. I suppose that after a while, if you are not especially sensitive, you will get used to any pitch.

There is software that changes pitch without slowing down the tempo, so you could use that to experiment. It is easier to do that than to retune a piano at a different pitch.

Semipro Tech
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry, I came on a bit strong. I am grumpy this week, having broken my ankle on Tuesday....

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Ahhh...who needs an ankle anyway?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pwg

Seriously though, sorry to hear that David. Hope the rest of you is okay.

Last edited by P W Grey; 12/09/18 06:48 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Sorry, I came on a bit strong. I am grumpy this week, having broken my ankle on Tuesday....

Sounds like it's time for you to switch from "impact" to "slow pull..." laugh

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! smile

Last edited by Ralphiano; 12/09/18 06:58 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
There are so many comedians on here. I'm starting to think the 50% estimate should be a little bit higher.

You probably had it right at 50%. The question is: Which 50% is right? and which 50% is wrong? Therein lies the challenge. You're on the right track. When you do not know how to proceed, what's wrong with calling tech services at the manufacturer? Throw your question onto a forum and often you'll get anywhere from a cacophony of uncertain sounds to a hopeless feeding frenzy - techs biting and devouring one another. Notwithstanding, after you've been reading PW Forums for a while, you'll learn to discern between the good and the bad. Stick around . There is value here. :-)

Best wishes,

Last edited by bkw58; 12/09/18 08:53 PM. Reason: add word

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralphiano

Sounds like it's time for you to switch from "impact" to "slow pull..." laugh

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! smile

Ditto. Ouch!

Last edited by bkw58; 12/09/18 08:51 PM. Reason: text added.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope you feel better, too.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Ahhh...who needs an ankle anyway?
True! I've got another!

Thank you for your good wishes folks. It happened in the supermarket filling state forecourt last Tuesday. I slipped on black ice on a metal manhole cover.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
What makes me grumpy, and I offer no excuse, is when people get swayed by ridiculous ideologies.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission