Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (akc42, bennevis, Beowulf, ando, airbeta, AZNpiano, Bett, agent8698, 18 invisible), 1,256 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Baldwin SF-10 grand piano #2787892
12/04/18 10:16 PM
12/04/18 10:16 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Good news!

Wanted this to be a continuation (and/or ending) to my search for an SF-10 back in August (i.e., five months ago) as I have now put down a deposit on a very nice grand that had been previously signed by Jorge Bolet in 1984 and here is the original thread:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2759001/baldwin-sf-10-search-other-info.html

The piano will be purchased in January as soon as funds are available.

Have added five (5) pictures of the SF-10 here:

https://imgur.com/a/3nkwAKA

The search has ended! smile

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2787967
12/05/18 06:34 AM
12/05/18 06:34 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Congratulations and post some more pictures once it is in your piano room.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2788034
12/05/18 10:41 AM
12/05/18 10:41 AM
Western New York State, USA
P
P3T3R Offline
P3T3R  Offline
P

Western New York State, USA
I'm jealous. Looks like a very nice instrument.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2788095
12/05/18 01:05 PM
12/05/18 01:05 PM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G

Congratulations! The SF-10 is a very fine instrument!

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2788855
12/07/18 05:25 PM
12/07/18 05:25 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Extra note:

Would like to post a few pics of the piano after it reaches the house (i.e., next year after the purchase and delivery has been scheduled) and this may depend on if I still have the new member account at that time.

Have a great day!

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2788918
12/07/18 11:15 PM
12/07/18 11:15 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Wanted to add here a great performance of Chopin's 4th Ballade by the now legendary pianist who had signed the piano I will soon be acquiring.

As it was Jorge Bolet who hand signed the plate on the piano while it was at the University of Cincinnati / College Conservatory of Music in 1984.

Even though Mr. Bolet indicated his personal preference for Baldwin pianos please note he happens to be performing on a Steinway grand in the recording below and the playing is always superb regardless of the chosen instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmy9xaXKdg

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2788987
12/08/18 08:55 AM
12/08/18 08:55 AM
Boston MA
M
martin snow Offline
martin snow  Offline
M

Boston MA
Congrats! I worked with Jorge Bolet as concert Piano tech. many times around the country in the mid 1980's when he was a Baldwin Artist, supreme artist, gracious, good memories.

Head Piano Technician and Restorer at Boston University School of Music since 1986. Tuning clientele in Greater Boston and South Shore. Restoring now just Steinway and Mason and Hamlin grands for sale. 617 543 1030.
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: martin snow] #2789227
12/08/18 09:34 PM
12/08/18 09:34 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by martin snow
Congrats! I worked with Jorge Bolet as concert Piano tech. many times around the country in the mid 1980's when he was a Baldwin Artist, supreme artist, gracious, good memories.

Yes, thanks!

As I also have memories as a teenager in the 1970's when my father took me to several "live" concerts at our local concert hall and got to see Jorge Bolet in person play both solo piano concerts and another performance of the Rachmaninoff 3rd piano concerto. Do clearly remember literally seeing the perspiration pop off of Mr. Bolet's brow (i.e., sitting in the front row) as he performed these incredible works!

It is indeed quite a privilege to be getting a piano that had been hand signed by Mr. Bolet.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2789425
12/09/18 02:13 PM
12/09/18 02:13 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

🎹
Congratulations on your selection. The SF-10 is a nice piano.

If I remember the other thread correctly, though, you were planning to buy online because you couldn't travel. Have you had the piano inspected by some objective 3rd party (preferably a competent technician)? If you haven't, then I would strongly encourage you to do so (for all the usual reasons).

P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2789430
12/09/18 02:29 PM
12/09/18 02:29 PM
Minneapolis, MN
D
DDobs Offline
DDobs  Offline
D

Minneapolis, MN
Yea! Enjoy.

Mason & Hamlin AA
Working my way through Faber-Piano Literature Book 3 and Piano Sonatinas Book 2
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: Retsacnal] #2789506
12/09/18 05:42 PM
12/09/18 05:42 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Congratulations on your selection. The SF-10 is a nice piano.

If I remember the other thread correctly, though, you were planning to buy online because you couldn't travel. Have you had the piano inspected by some objective 3rd party (preferably a competent technician)? If you haven't, then I would strongly encourage you to do so (for all the usual reasons).

Yes, as everything has already been inspected as you mention and there are no issues whatsoever with the bridges or laminations and so forth. Also, the piano has had additional Stanwood "PTD" (Precision Touch Design) modifications done to the action to make all of the keys more uniformly weighted and are at concert playing level:

http://stanwoodpiano.com/first.html

The piano has had action regulation and all of the key bushings were replaced and was given a new set of Abel hammers. Nothing else needs to be done.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2789687
12/10/18 07:15 AM
12/10/18 07:15 AM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Extra note:

Also, have purchased the SF-10 for $18K all inclusive as this includes the delivery and set up at my house as $1,500 was given as a deposit to hold the piano until January and the remaining $16,500 will be paid as the money is available. Hoping to have a relatively decent day for the move since the piano will be going just a little over 100 miles and will have to make sure the wooden wheel chair ramp is entirely clear of all snow and ice on the day of delivery. As the winter season has arrived! smile

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790333
12/12/18 12:42 AM
12/12/18 12:42 AM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Question -- (follows info below) --

Considering the following options:

1) Whole house humidifier -- installed with the HVAC system
2) Dampp-Chaser humidification -- added to piano
3) Dawson String Covers

Out of the three options above I am considering two of them -- 1 & 3 -- as I believe a combination of controlling the "whole house" humidification along with the string cover (to reduce potential rust on strings and other metal parts) may be the best way in keeping the piano in a more evenly regulated environment.

As of right now the humidity in my house is only 16% - 20% (far too low) due to the furnace heat running as this happens every winter and I have already tried running portable humidifiers (one that I have tried from amazon is advertised as a "whole house" unit) and it did not bring up my relative humidity level to the proper range -- i.e., between 40% - 50% -- as the best it did was to raise the 16% level to only 27% - 28% which was still too low. Unit required a lot of water even running continuously did not work very well since the heat from my furnace was drying up all the moisture I was attempting to add to the air!

This is why I will not be using a smaller portable humidifier in the piano room since they require far too much maintenance and cleaning with multiple filter changes at extra cost and purchase. Going to be looking at a whole house unit (perhaps an "Aprilaire") since it is the only humidifier that will be able to add enough moisture to the entire house and not just one room.

Also, as for the Dawson String Covers this is the only cover that may be worth trying since it has the extra "battens" (wooden dowels) that helps to prevent the cover from sagging onto the strings and is also made from 100% wool which is the best material to wick away moisture from the strings and soundboard to minimize rust:

http://dawsonstringcovers.com/

Question:

Which of the three (3) above options are you (i.e., grand piano owners) using as of now? Or, perhaps a combination, thereof?

Thanks!

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790339
12/12/18 01:12 AM
12/12/18 01:12 AM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by gp84
Unit required a lot of water [and] even [when it was] running continuously did not work very well since the heat from my furnace was drying up all the moisture I was attempting to add to the air!

Typing errors corrected above:

Added in the extra words [in brackets] that were missed, originally.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790361
12/12/18 04:26 AM
12/12/18 04:26 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
If your 'Amazon w/h humidifier' is requiring large amounts of water that doesn't mean that it isn't working, rather it means that it is working, a lot, but the task is too great for it. Maybe the answer is to turn the heat down and wear some extra clothes ;-)

As the whole house humidity is still very low I'd suggest getting that to comfortable levels before looking at local piano climate solutions. So turn that furnace down, or buy several of the Amazon humidifiers or a much larger model, and feed them ridiculous amounts of water.

Also, regarding the wool blanket, it isn't going to do any wicking away of moisture from the strings if it isn't touching them. And they shouldn't go rusty anyway unless the air is too humid, which isn't going to happen in your case. I have a r/h centering around 55% and no rust so you aren't going to get any at your levels.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gwing] #2790373
12/12/18 05:16 AM
12/12/18 05:16 AM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by gwing
If your 'Amazon w/h humidifier' is requiring large amounts of water that doesn't mean that it isn't working, rather it means that it is working, a lot, but the task is too great for it. Maybe the answer is to turn the heat down and wear some extra clothes ;-)

As the whole house humidity is still very low I'd suggest getting that to comfortable levels before looking at local piano climate solutions. So turn that furnace down, or buy several of the Amazon humidifiers or a much larger model, and feed them ridiculous amounts of water.

Also, regarding the wool blanket, it isn't going to do any wicking away of moisture from the strings if it isn't touching them. And they shouldn't go rusty anyway unless the air is too humid, which isn't going to happen in your case. I have a r/h centering around 55% and no rust so you aren't going to get any at your levels.

Thanks, for your reply!

However, do have concerns with developing rust on the strings and all other metal parts:

Have another issue during the summer when the relative humidity goes as high as 65% - 70% and this occurs even when I am running my central AC (air conditioning) -- as I live in an old house and the walls are probably not insulated very well and it also has old windows that have never yet been replaced.

Have not yet figured out how to take more humidity out of the air during the humid summer months and do not want to run a portable dehumidifier since there is nowhere to run a hose for the water drain off if I use one and continually emptying buckets of water from the unit is not what I had in mind!

Perhaps will just have to install the Dampp-Chaser system on the piano and be done with it?

Have not found any other solutions that are going to work in this old house.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790392
12/12/18 07:01 AM
12/12/18 07:01 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
How cold does it get outdoors in the winter where you live?
The reason I ask is the temperature disparity may be so great that achieving 40-50% relative humidity may be difficult without negative effects in your home. For example, when I lived in the upper midwestern US, if I tried to raise the humidity above 35% in the dead of winter (below zero Fahrenheit temperatures), the windows would start icing up and then the casings would get wet and start dripping down the walls.

In that case, I used a room humidifier to raise the RH part-way, and a full Dampp Chaser system with undercover, keeping the piano closed with a cover when not in use (not a string cover). I have not been able to get myself to like the look of a string cover when the piano is open, nor do I like the tone attenuation.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790423
12/12/18 09:35 AM
12/12/18 09:35 AM
Danville, California
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Furtwangler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Danville, California

Thanks, for your reply!

However, do have concerns with developing rust on the strings and all other metal parts:

Have another issue during the summer when the relative humidity goes as high as 65% - 70% and this occurs even when I am running my central AC (air conditioning) -- as I live in an old house and the walls are probably not insulated very well and it also has old windows that have never yet been replaced.

Have not yet figured out how to take more humidity out of the air during the humid summer months and do not want to run a portable dehumidifier since there is nowhere to run a hose for the water drain off if I use one and continually emptying buckets of water from the unit is not what I had in mind!

Perhaps will just have to install the Dampp-Chaser system on the piano and be done with it?

Some suggestions:

1. Move
2. Go digital
3. Marry a piano technician

Just a thought.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790441
12/12/18 11:11 AM
12/12/18 11:11 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.

Thanks, for your reply!

As you talk about furnaces and air conditioning I guess you probably live in the US, in which case my 'old house' is most likely considerably older than yours :-) My solution for that is to leave the windows of the piano room open in the summer, not to use AC, and not to heat it much in the winter either so that although the r/h drops a bit when the heating is on I don't have to do any more than stick a simple passive humidifier in the piano during the winter. A quick google indicated that steel doesn't rust until r/h gets to 80% so unless you start getting condensation from blowing hot humid air at a cold piano rusty strings really shouldn't happen. At least not in the climate we have here (UK).

I don't like complicated solutions to a simple problem ...

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790706
12/12/18 09:46 PM
12/12/18 09:46 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
The full Dampp Chaser will include a water tank for the humidifier and a couple of heating bars that act as a dehumidifier. These are all regulated by a humidistat that strives (and usually succeeds) at keeping the humidity under the piano at 42%, maintaining a healthy atmosphere for the soundboard so that it neither shrinks nor expands too much. Dampp Chaser can also be installed with an undercover which help keep the humidity even more tightly controlled. Your technician will be able to tell you if he/she thinks it's necessary.

A wool string cover is also a good investment. They help the Dampp Chaser do it's job, and they keep dust off the soundboard and protect the strings from corrosion, especially the copper-wound bass strings. I have a Dawson cover with the battens which I remove before playing and put back after. It's really not a big deal to take the cover off and put it back. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it and a minute to put it back. Some people leave the string cover on, but the wool really muffles the sound. Then again I don't put anything on the lid of my piano as I like playing with it partially or fully opened.

August Förster 215
Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: gp84] #2790727
12/12/18 11:25 PM
12/12/18 11:25 PM
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Do appreciate all of the replies, above.

Will probably ask my tuner / technician to see exactly what he recommends as I am thinking it would probably be a combination of the Dampp-Chaser system plus a Dawson String cover -- as this appears to be in line with AaronSF's comments above, also -- do believe both items should do the best job, overall.

Re: Baldwin SF-10 grand piano [Re: terminaldegree] #2791128
45 minutes ago
45 minutes ago
G
gp84 Offline OP
gp84  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
How cold does it get outdoors in the winter where you live?
The reason I ask is the temperature disparity may be so great that achieving 40-50% relative humidity may be difficult without negative effects in your home. For example, when I lived in the upper midwestern US, if I tried to raise the humidity above 35% in the dead of winter (below zero Fahrenheit temperatures), the windows would start icing up and then the casings would get wet and start dripping down the walls.

You are right that it is not really possible to achieve 40% - 50% relative humidity (RH) when it is very cold outside (at 0 degrees Fahrenheit) as I have already tried using a large room humidifier and the windows started to condense and ice up as it was not able to bring the RH above 26% -- as the room was at only 16% before using the humidifier.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
What should I read next?
by lunobili. 12/14/18 12:51 AM
VST - TruePianos vs AddictiveKeys from XLN Audio
by ManishP. 12/13/18 11:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,896
Posts2,771,051
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission