2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
So, after weeks of research and testing out different models I decided on the Kawai CA 98. I live in Estonia and the local Kawai dealer only had the CA 78 in stock, and wouldn't get the 98 until late January. So, I ordered through musicstore.de

The piano arrived today. I set it up, and there is a problem. When I hold one key down, and try to press a key that's a half-step away, it does not make sound! Here is a short video of the issue:

I'm feeling incredibly frustrated about this. I really don't want have to send the piano back. I just want a piano that works! Please tell me that there is a way to fix this.

Thank you,
Joonas

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Did you call the dealer? Or Kawai service?

Last edited by TomLC; 12/06/18 03:12 PM.

Kawai NV10
G
OP Offline
G
I just got the piano a couple hours ago. I just sent emails to the dealer and Kawai support. I'm hoping that this is a software issue that I can rectify. I checked and I am on the most recent version 1.0.2

Has anyone here experienced a similar issue?

Last edited by greensoybean; 12/06/18 03:24 PM.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Did you tried a factory reset? It's definitely a software issue since the key is literally working.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
G
OP Offline
G
Just tried a factory reset twice. No improvement frown

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Tyr
Did you tried a factory reset? It's definitely a software issue since the key is literally working.

Nah, I suspect a mechanical issue. Something has slipped in transit.

But my guess is also irrelevant. Call the dealer, see what they recommend.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I would certainly try to involve the local dealer in the solution if at all possible.

Putting that piano back in the box and shipping it back will be …. let's say …. challenging.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
That behavior may happen if the flat cable connecting the keyboard (i.e. the sensor circuits) to the mainboard has one of its wires damaged or is not properly seated into the connectors. That may have happened during production or transportation. Contact the dealer and check if they can send a technician. If it is just the cable that would be an easy repair.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
I would certainly try to involve the local dealer in the solution if at all possible.

I bought some pianos at musicstore.de and never had a problem about fast response and help. Maybe they calling kawai directly so this can take some time because their technicians are really busy. ^^

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

It would be real tough for a mechanical issue to cause this. A depressed key would somehow have to block the sensors on an adjacent key. This sounds like electronics or software. Contact the dealer and Kawai, cc both of them. Let us know what they say.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyr
Originally Posted by dmd

I bought some pianos at musicstore.de and never had a problem about fast response and help. Maybe they calling kawai directly so this can take some time because their technicians are really busy. ^^

Well, if musicstore.de has access for "local" support technicians … great …. anything so you do not have to ship that piano back.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It amazes me that someone spends a large amount of money, receives a defective product, and then asks for help on a forum ... rather than demanding that the seller or manufacturer make good.

You paid money. That is, you've completely fulfilled your part of the bargain.

But the other party has not. So you are OWED a proper resolution. That is all.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It amazes me that someone spends a large amount of money, receives a defective product, and then asks for help on a forum ... rather than demanding that the seller or manufacturer make good.

I've already emailed both the dealer and Kawai support. It was after business hours when I discovered the problem so I've been waiting to hear back. I was hoping someone on the forum has experienced a similar problem and could point to a solution. I'll keep pestering the dealer and Kawai.

Well that's good. You are OWED a solution.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by greensoybean
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I've already emailed both the dealer and Kawai support. It was after business hours when I discovered the problem so I've been waiting to hear back. I was hoping someone on the forum has experienced a similar problem and could point to a solution. I'll keep pestering the dealer and Kawai.

Your only option at this point is to wait for Kawai's support and for the assessment from a technician. The problem you describe may happen if the flat cables running between the keyboard and the mainboard are not properly connected or one of their wires is damaged. If the technician says the problem was caused by transportation and not by an assembly error at the factory, then I would demand a new DP. If transportation caused that, then your DP must have gone through a lot already. Unacceptable either way.

L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Keep us posted, I am curious how Kawai will handle this?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
While I fully sympathize and hope Music Store and Kawai will be able to resolve this, I would also like to point out that it is never a good idea to buy internationally, whenever warranty issues may come into the picture. Which certainly is the case with (digital) pianos.

Sending a piano from Cologne in Germany (which is where Music Store is located) to Estonia is definitely an adventurous affair. Add to that issues of international law...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maurus
Sending a piano from Cologne in Germany (which is where Music Store is located) to Estonia is definitely an adventurous affair. Add to that issues of international law...

In some cases, there is no choice because the immediate country doesn't have the product or the manufacturer has specifically worked it out so that products for the local market are shipped from another distribution point. As an example, many countries in Europe are supplied by Amazon.com from Germany as their central hub. We have a 2nd home in Amsterdam and all items we order from Amazon are shipped from Germany. (Amazon NL only really has e-books.)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Which is why I would never buy a digital piano from Amazon, but always from a specialized dealer in my own country.

G
OP Offline
G
UPDATE:

tl;dr Returned piano after 3 months of back-and-forth for full refund. Would not recommend this experience to anyone.

-------

I emailed musicstore the day I got the piano with the issue I originally posted above. Over the course of the next 3 months, I endured an incredibly frustrating ordeal to get a resolution. They told me to contact Kawai, Kawai told me MusicStore has to process a warranty return, etc. I emailed them every 1-2 weeks and was usually ignored. Same with calling their company. I talked to several different people and it wasn't until the 3rd month that I got someone that seemed interested in helping out. More back and forth and waiting and they finally set up a pick up to send my piano back.

Fortunately, I hadn't fully unpacked the piano so repacking it was quite easy. About a week later I got a full refund for the piano. I was worried they would only give me a partial refund for some reason or another, but luckily that didn't happen.

One interesting thing, the original issue didn't occur consistently and started to happen less frequently as time went on. Probably a loose wire finding its connection? Who knows, it's now back in the piano realm to be with others of its kind. Even if the problem went away entirely, my experience with their customer service was so bad that I didn't want to risk dealing with them if there was a future issue with the piano.

All in all, I'm glad it's finally resolved for a full refund. I will forever now buy from a local dealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission