Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (Alex C, danlightbulb, beeboss, ahumdrumoflife, akc42, agent8698, Barrett Bonden, bennevis, brendon, 20 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help with Roland FP30 sound #2788613
12/07/18 05:49 AM
12/07/18 05:49 AM
D
Daniel_m Offline OP
Daniel_m  Offline OP
D

Hello,

I started playing piano on several acoustics for one year and then bought a Roland FP30 five months ago. I am not playing acoustics now. I bought the FP30 without testing because all the good comments and because the alternatives were not locally available. I knew that the sound were not going to be as good as the acoustic but I never expected such a big difference. I am disappointed.

Then bought also a Grado sr60e headphones. Disapponted again. The sound is even more synthetic than through FP30 speakers.

I have tried Pianoteq 6 to figure out weather the problems comes from the speaker/headphones or the FP30 sound engine itself. The result (using the Grado sr60) might be somewhat better but not huge improvement.

In conclusion: I think buying new headphones is worth a try. What do you think on Sennheiser HD599? Do you think I would need a headphone amp because of the FP30 low output power?

In the future I will ugrade to another piano with better speakers (I do not like external speakers because of the space).

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2788637
12/07/18 08:24 AM
12/07/18 08:24 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
I'm not a big fan of the external speakers on the FP-30, but I typically played through headphones.

As for which ones, I have a 20+ year old pair of AKG K240's that seemed to work quite well (I still use them now on my Yamaha NU1x). Now that the Roland is in my apartment for work, I am using a pair of Koss Porta Pro's. For me, both sound good.

I can't comment on the Sennheiser's, but I know the brand has a decent reputation. I didn't find I was wanting for a headphone amp, either.

I wonder what the difference would be if I bought a newer pair to replace my AKG's, but I'm happy with them.

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2788649
12/07/18 08:47 AM
12/07/18 08:47 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Daniel_m
I have tried Pianoteq 6 to figure out weather the problems comes from the speaker/headphones or the FP30 sound engine itself. The result (using the Grado sr60) might be somewhat better but not huge improvement.

Which sound pack are you using with Pianoteq? I like only Steingraeber E-272, Steinway B, or Bl├╝thner Model 1 myself. If you are using Pianoteq with Grado sr60s, then there are only 3 things in the audio chain - your computer running Pianoteq, an amplifier, if any, and the Grados. That your FP-30 generates MIDI for the computer does not really objectively enter into the audio tool chain, although you might adjust some parameters such as weight, etc. and see if that subjectively affects how you think of the sound. Since the Grados are 32 ohms, it's low impedance and no headphone amp is even needed. In this set up, it's hard to blame your FP-30 on sound. The only things that can be blamed are the computer and its audio converter (DAC), the Pianoteq software, the instrument you chose in Pianoteq, the amp, if any, or your headphones. You can also blame your own perception of the sound, as preference and perception change from individual to individual.

I am very particular about sound. Some might refer to that as being an "audiophile," although I just think of myself as being particular. I have an FP-30 right now driving Pianoteq through a long audio chain involving an inexpensive mini-PC running Pianoteq and my favorite Steingraeber E-272 soundpack, driving a Soundblaster X7 Limited Edition DAC, driving a Little Dot MKVIII SE headphone amp driving Sennheiser HD800 headphones. No problems.

Before you spend money buying different headphones, I would suggest you might download the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 4 to use with your Grades and see if it fixes it for you. (For piano use, be sure to set it for zero latency (no phase correction). Assume that for Pianoteq, you also installed the ASIO4ALL driver to reduce latency.) My HD800 broke and is currently off for repair, so I am using a cheap $50 pair of Roland-brand headphones, but with Sonarworks Reference 4, and these Roland headphones sound almost as good as my HD800. It's really amazing.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2788734
12/07/18 12:00 PM
12/07/18 12:00 PM
T
thickfingers Online content
thickfingers  Online Content
T

Bit early to say the Pianoteq hasn't solved your problem, unless you've been through it thoroughly, I'd say. Lot to check out. I'm on that road myself (waiting on some speakers arriving)...see the Georgian Contraption thread for description of my travails.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2788735
12/07/18 12:02 PM
12/07/18 12:02 PM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hello,

I started playing piano on several acoustics for one year and then bought a Roland FP30 five months ago. I am not playing acoustics now. I bought the FP30 without testing because all the good comments and because the alternatives were not locally available. I knew that the sound were not going to be as good as the acoustic but I never expected such a big difference. I am disappointed.

Then bought also a Grado sr60e headphones. Disapponted again. The sound is even more synthetic than through FP30 speakers.

In conclusion: I think buying new headphones is worth a try. What do you think on Sennheiser HD599? Do you think I would need a headphone amp because of the FP30 low output power?

In the future I will ugrade to another piano with better speakers (I do not like external speakers because of the space).

I considered getting Sennheiser HD600's for my MP7 a while back and came across impedance. The headphone amp built into the digital piano has to be powerful enough to power the headphones, or the sound will be bad. Worth checking into if you intend to upgrade your headphones. Best if you drop an email to Roland in your country and ask if the amp is powerful enough for headphones with 'x' ohms of impedance e.g., 300 ohms for the HD600.

You can always buy a headphone amp. If you consider doing this, it's a good idea to check out the various price brackets --- low priced ones not that great.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Doug M.] #2788740
12/07/18 12:07 PM
12/07/18 12:07 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Doug M.
Best if you drop an email to Roland in your country and ask if the amp is powerful enough for headphones with 'x' ohms of impedance e.g., 300 ohms for the HD600.

I have Sennheiser HD800 headphones (waiting to get them back from shop). They are 300 ohms. The internal amplifier in my FP-30 will only drive them to a relatively low volume. I tried. I do have a headphone amp though, which is what I use.

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2789140
12/08/18 04:41 PM
12/08/18 04:41 PM
D
Daniel_m Offline OP
Daniel_m  Offline OP
D

Thanks all for your advices.

I was playing with the default Steinway D piano. I tested the other suggested and seems to sound less synthetic but I am not happy with the sound yet. It might be that I just do not like headphones, because "in head" sound is too different from the real instrument. If that was the case maybe a pair of good speaker would fix it. Actually I still prefer the FP30 sound from the tiny speakers than anything else from headphones. I tried Sonarworks but the as soon as I start Pianoteq the active output channel in the settings goes away and nothing is available, so it does not work. I am using ASIO drivers. I would like to make sonarworks work before purchasing other headphones or speakers. Anyone had the same problem?

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2789144
12/08/18 04:57 PM
12/08/18 04:57 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I tried Sonarworks but the as soon as I start Pianoteq the active output channel in the settings goes away and nothing is available, so it does not work. I am using ASIO drivers. I would like to make sonarworks work before purchasing other headphones or speakers. Anyone had the same problem?

I have a different set up since I have an external audio interface (Soundblaster X7 Limited Edition) but when I have time, I will try to set it up as you have yours and see if it happens with me. In the meantime, have you tried to write to tech support for Pianoteq and Sonarworks? Both should answer you by Monday as I've done this myself for both. In particular, Sonarworks addressed my tech questions even though I was only a trial user.

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2789282
12/09/18 05:47 AM
12/09/18 05:47 AM
D
Daniel_m Offline OP
Daniel_m  Offline OP
D

I have sent them a message.

I think I have spotted where my problems come from. When I play single notes it sound really good, especially in Pianoteq, but when I play a triad in the middle of the keyboard, like A minor with no inversions and hold it for some seconds I can notice this typical synth sound that I think it is called flange or phase. I spent some years playing with synths and maybe my ear got sensitized to this sound.

I have not tried all Pianoteq packs. I can hear this especially in the default Steinway D

I would like to try a sample based piano sound. Is there any recommended I can try for free?

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2789303
12/09/18 07:55 AM
12/09/18 07:55 AM
T
thickfingers Online content
thickfingers  Online Content
T

Just a thought, may be dumb but I'm brave--this "held triad in mid/board", have you ever done that on a piano? Maybe your "test" would sound the same on it, but you never would notice because that kind of sound doesn't normally occur in "music".
My test will be what you've already obtained--realistic individual notes. I expect realistic piano music to naturally follow. My (possibly dumb) 2c.

Re: Help with Roland FP30 sound [Re: Daniel_m] #2789479
12/09/18 04:31 PM
12/09/18 04:31 PM
D
Daniel_m Offline OP
Daniel_m  Offline OP
D

Yes, I had the same thought, but I do not have an acoustic to try. Anyway, whatever it is, all I know is that playing acoustic pianos was very enjoyable and playing digitals (including Pianoteq) is just ok. Maybe the most unrealistic thing was my expectations on DP technology. I think they are fabulous for recordings and I admit I can be fooled on them but playing live is a different game. Some Pianoteq pianos sound nicer the FP30 but they are both miles away of the experience of playing an acoustic. I have to say the psicology might be playing a role here; I prefer the the touch of the wood and the looking of the acoustic to the plastic and leds of DP. It is an holistic experience ( touch, vibrations, sound, simplicity...)

One thing that keeps me away of headphones and external speakers is the lost of vibration (haptic feedback) through the keys. I have some of this with the built in speaker of the FP30. While not as nice as with the acoustic, it makes me feel more connected to the instrument.

I will continue experimenting with Pianoteq to see if the better sound is worth the lost the haptic feedback. The other option would be to go for something similar to FP30 but better, like Kawai ES8 (or ES9) or Yamaha P-515. I will try them in shops if I find them.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
What should I read next?
by lunobili. 12/14/18 12:51 AM
VST - TruePianos vs AddictiveKeys from XLN Audio
by ManishP. 12/13/18 11:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,896
Posts2,771,063
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission