Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (akc42, bennevis, Beowulf, ando, airbeta, AZNpiano, Bett, agent8698, 18 invisible), 1,256 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rude Customers #2787651
12/04/18 07:11 AM
12/04/18 07:11 AM
East Coast, Canada
Duaner Offline OP
Duaner  Offline OP

East Coast, Canada
How do "you" handle it when customers are just down-right rude to you?

I mean what has been your experience with this because I'm quite sure, although it wouldn't happen that often, this does happen to every tuner/tech from time to time. I just had that experience where a customer was complaining about fuzzy strings after I tuned the piano (long story). So, I went back ten days later at her demand and rechecked everything I did and all seemed very good. So she started "splitting hairs" trying to invent the "fuzzy" sound that I just was not hearing. So, I took all the panels off and put them on separately playing and searching for the fuzzy piece by piece. At one point she called me "Fonzy" (Happy Days) saying that when something didn't work right Fonzy's remedy was to start beating on it. I admit I nearly broke out in loud laughter when she called me Fonzy.....but the overall demeanor was not good really. Personally, I am satisfied that the piano is in great shape and in tune....nothing more I can do....signed: Fonzy.

Duane Graves
www.pianotuningfredericton.com

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Journal
Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2787656
12/04/18 07:59 AM
12/04/18 07:59 AM
Omaha, NE
A
adamp88 Offline
adamp88  Offline
A

Omaha, NE
Those are the kinds of clients I am somehow all booked up and unable to find time for in the future.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2787671
12/04/18 09:13 AM
12/04/18 09:13 AM
Lincoln, NE
T
That Guy Offline
Silver Subscriber
That Guy  Offline
Silver Subscriber
T

Lincoln, NE
Duane - Your post is very timely for me. Yesterday I tuned for a lady who never seems satisfied when I'm done. She a professional musician, singer mainly, so she does have a good ear but still, it's nerve racking every time I tune for her. The problem is, she keeps rehiring me!! Yesterday I suggested she look for another piano tuner, but we talked and redid some things and I guess she was satisfied. I just keep thinking she's going to hire someone else but keeps contacting me.

I think if she contacts me again a I'll give her Adams name... wink

So, hang in there Duane. You're not alone!

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
Re: Rude Customers [Re: That Guy] #2787687
12/04/18 09:50 AM
12/04/18 09:50 AM
Omaha, NE
A
adamp88 Offline
adamp88  Offline
A

Omaha, NE
Originally Posted by That Guy
DI think if she contacts me again a I'll give her Adams name... wink

I have the convenient excuse of being tied up with university work now, Scott. smile

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2787709
12/04/18 11:03 AM
12/04/18 11:03 AM
Hampshire UK
N
N W Offline
N W  Offline
N

Hampshire UK
I had a colleague (no longer alive sadly), who had one or two customers who always found something wrong. He decided to leave one unison out deliberately. The customer would hear it, of course, he would correct it and everyone was happy. I never dared try it but it might work for you.....:)
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2787746
12/04/18 01:06 PM
12/04/18 01:06 PM
Bradford County, PA
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member
UnrightTooner  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bradford County, PA
I've had some that were picky and usually can find the odd problem that bothers them, but not always. Never had a rude customer, though. But having worked on merchant ships, as long as someone doesn't pull a knife, I may not see them as being rude. I have decided that if I can't please a customer, I will just refund their money. Someday it may happen.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Re: Rude Customers [Re: UnrightTooner] #2787820
12/04/18 04:53 PM
12/04/18 04:53 PM
Lincoln, NE
T
That Guy Offline
Silver Subscriber
That Guy  Offline
Silver Subscriber
T

Lincoln, NE
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
But having worked on merchant ships, as long as someone doesn't pull a knife, I may not see them as being rude.

Yikes!! Now THAT puts things in perspective... crazy

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
Re: Rude Customers [Re: N W] #2787832
12/04/18 05:19 PM
12/04/18 05:19 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Originally Posted by N W
I had a colleague (no longer alive sadly), who had one or two customers who always found something wrong. He decided to leave one unison out deliberately. The customer would hear it, of course, he would correct it and everyone was happy. I never dared try it but it might work for you.....:)
Nick

Brilliant!
The picky customer gets to nitpick;
you easily solve the problem;
she feels good; you feel good;
...and smile all the way to the bank (or however it takes to get the funds through Venmo or whatever).

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Rude Customers [Re: UnrightTooner] #2787971
12/05/18 06:45 AM
12/05/18 06:45 AM
East Coast, Canada
Duaner Offline OP
Duaner  Offline OP

East Coast, Canada
I've had some that were picky and usually can find the odd problem that bothers them, but not always. Never had a rude customer, though. But having worked on merchant ships, as long as someone doesn't pull a knife, I may not see them as being rude. I have decided that if I can't please a customer, I will just refund their money. Someday it may happen.

....good answer....look for a knife....sometimes the knife is just in back of the lips and teeth.....and it's just as sharp.....

Duane Graves
www.pianotuningfredericton.com

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
Re: Rude Customers [Re: That Guy] #2787998
12/05/18 08:58 AM
12/05/18 08:58 AM
Bradford County, PA
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member
UnrightTooner  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted by That Guy
But having worked on merchant ships, as long as someone doesn't pull a knife, I may not see them as being rude.

Yikes!! Now THAT puts things in perspective... crazy

One time a shipmate was trying to intimidate me. I pulled out my knife, but not to use it on him. I was offering it to him, to use on me. It was a "put up or shut up" gesture. He quickly backed down. Then there was an incident that eventually led to a ride in a Brazilian paddy-wagon with army guards and assault rifles... But this is all pretty tame stuff compared to dealing with irate tuning customers! wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2788244
12/05/18 10:29 PM
12/05/18 10:29 PM
USA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bob  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

USA
Fonzi - funny! I've found that a picky client will usually check the piano carefully the first time I tune it, and never bother again. Then again, the most important part of tuning is that last pass, checking unisons, 10ths, 17ths, chords, etc. The last pass is supposed to catch any errors before the client does. Omit the last pass, and you haven't done a good job tuning.

Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2788399
12/06/18 01:14 PM
12/06/18 01:14 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
Greetings,
Those of us that are self-employed have as few of these customers as we can afford. Good, solid, constructive critique,("I think the bass is stretched more than I like"), is critical to our improving our skills, but there is a certain type of customer that has extrinsic reasons for complaint. It may be that that is the only way of approaching the world that they know, nothing can be perfect. It may be that they fear other's impression that they are not "discerning" if they don't, with "their" ear, catch something that the piano tuner, with "his" ear, overlooked. "Hah! Look at me: I am so good that I can out-hear a piano tuner !". Some customers need to be clearly in charge and you are to do whatever they say to do, which just might be something invented for the purpose of showing their dominance. . It happens.

Rudeness? That is a deal breaker for me. Payment for a tuning can't come close to the negative value of a dreadful appointment. My hope is I can reach the end of my career without ever having taken money from someone that was unhappy with my work. It has happened three times in 40 years, and I deserved two of them. I have handed a check back to a customer and apologized for wasting their time, and the relief I felt in the car was worth more than the money. This approach also helps keep the clientele "clean" of ugliness. The long range, pleasant plan is to have only customers I look forward to seeing, so quality can't be compromised for quantity any more than I can help it.

Back to my first sentence: when I started, I had to tune anything that didn't move just to have enough money (tunings=$ 9.00 at dealers, $ 14 in field) to live on. Rudeness was a minor annoyance and during the height of the cocaine use around Music Row in the 1980's, there was a lot of it going around with all that money. Had two kids to feed, had to put up with it. As experience, prices, and age increased, I have been able to gradually shape my clientele, and have reached the zero tolerance for rudeness. If I smell it over the phone, I can be pretty nimble on my feet and let them go on by.
Regards,

Re: Rude Customers [Re: Duaner] #2788533
12/06/18 10:02 PM
12/06/18 10:02 PM
USA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bob  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

USA
Yep, those clients that send up red flags over the phone...……..I usually make note of any client weirdness during the initial phone contact so I'm prepared and my client list is full of notes on all kinds of things. that help me deal with the client.

I always note if they are price sensitive. Tactful handling of price issues can be a win win.

We have all had those clients that seem impossible to please.

A Russian lady comes to mind. She plays at a concert level, but has a Wurlitzer spinet. She demanded I make time to tune her piano that day. (1st red flag). I get there, after tuning 4 pianos prior, and she says the piano isn't at her pitch. I check - it's right at A=440. She claims perfect pitch and wants me to try a bit flatter, so I set a temperament flatter, then a bit sharper, so I set a temperament sharper. After 10 minutes of this, she finally decides A=440 is best. I wanted to walk out, and I should have, but I stayed. So I tuned the piano, and she doesn't like it. The piano has voicing issues, and many false beats and overtones. I told her she has a starter piano, and that's what they sound like. She said pianos in Russia sound better. After tweaking a few notes, I gave her a small discount and got out of there, never to return. Glad that kind of thing happens a few times in a career.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
What should I read next?
by lunobili. 12/14/18 12:51 AM
VST - TruePianos vs AddictiveKeys from XLN Audio
by ManishP. 12/13/18 11:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,896
Posts2,771,051
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission