Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (barbaram, Andrew_G, Alex C, beeboss, ahumdrumoflife, akc42, agent8698, Barrett Bonden, bennevis, brendon, 19 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help regarding practice@ #2788365
12/06/18 11:20 AM
12/06/18 11:20 AM
Romania
O
Ovidiu M Offline OP
Ovidiu M  Offline OP
O

Romania
Hello guys! I have about 1 hour per day on average for practice and i dont know exactly how should i plan in order to make the most of it. I have three areas i want to constantly improve: sight reading, playing by ear and learning new pieces. How would you plan your week if you were me? Or any other idea would be great.
Thank you!

Last edited by Ovidiu M; 12/06/18 11:21 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788369
12/06/18 11:28 AM
12/06/18 11:28 AM
S
SilentQ Offline
SilentQ  Offline
S

Depending on your level, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on sight reading. It will come with time.

Learn to read your pieces as you play them, perhaps, but only being played can help you sight read. The more pieces that you learn, the more keys in which you can properly play, the more hand positions that you learn will all help you naturally learn to sight read.

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788440
12/06/18 03:11 PM
12/06/18 03:11 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
I disagree with the advice above about not needing to sight read. Regular reading of new material every day does have great benefits.

If you have only one hour and want to practice all the things you say I would split it like so (not necessarily in that order):

10 minutes sight reading something below your level
15 minutes playing by ear
30 minutes pieces
5 minutes have fun

Although one hour is really short for all those things...

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Bach French Suite no. 2 mvt. 4
Debussy Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
Field Nocturne no. 10
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Qazsedcft] #2788458
12/06/18 04:18 PM
12/06/18 04:18 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I disagree with the advice above about not needing to sight read. Regular reading of new material every day does have great benefits.

It all depends upon the OP's level of achievement. A relative beginner might have difficulty finding relevant material every day for 10 minutes of sight reading without having to invest in a number of books. Once read, pieces are no longer sight-read. IMSLP is great source for materials at many levels, but there may be comparatively little for some, depending upon their individual level.

If you have only one hour and want to practice all the things you say I would split it like so (not necessarily in that order):

30 minutes pieces
5 minutes have fun

It one has only one hour daily, it might be better use of ones time if (some of) these activities were practiced on alternate days. That should be for the OP to distribute as s/he feels best.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 12/06/18 04:20 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788487
12/06/18 06:14 PM
12/06/18 06:14 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

I guess my question is, why specifically sight reading? Unless you're a session musician, or have a reason to be able to play by reading right away, that will get better over time. Especially with learning new material.

I probably look at things a bit fuzzily though. I don't really see any of those as actual goals themselves, but tools to reach actual goals. And without knowing the goals, it's hard to really say anything about how they would best serve.

Like the sight reading, I personally don't see or have ever had 'Playing by ear' as a goal. Or desire. I did, however, want to learn songs and the only way I could learn them was by ear. So I would pick out songs and learn them by ear. And over time, playing by ear got a lot easier.

Even learning new songs might not be the actual goal. That might even be a means to an end. For example, of all the new songs I have learned to play since starting on Piano, not one is one that I had in my list of songs I would like to play. That is not to say that I do not enjoy them, and I do like playing them, but learning those new songs were not my goal. My goal is to play other songs which require a good bit more capability than I have at the time. So, learning those new songs is not the goal itself, but becomes just a foundation to reach my goal.

That's just how I tend to look at things. *shrug*

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788514
12/06/18 07:56 PM
12/06/18 07:56 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted by Ovidiu M
Hello guys! I have about 1 hour per day on average for practice and i dont know exactly how should i plan in order to make the most of it. I have three areas i want to constantly improve: sight reading, playing by ear and learning new pieces. How would you plan your week if you were me? Or any other idea would be great.
Thank you!

Don't overthink it. As long as you consistently practice for 1 hour per day - any reasonable mix of time for the above three activities is fine. Important thing is to make sure you practice 1 hour *every* day - the exact composition of time is not as important as you may think smile.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + Embertone Walker D Full/Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788569
12/07/18 01:16 AM
12/07/18 01:16 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T

Toronto, Canada
I started getting into piano in my mid-30s after playing recorder and violin earlier in life.

In the beginning I started learning on my own and didn't really have a structured approach. I went online to look for pieces a typical student would play at various levels and get on the bandwagon on my own. I didn't a maximum time of 1h/day and divide the time into scales, work on an old piece, learn a new piece sort of thing. Instead I usually stick to a minimum of 10m/day. Depending on the repertoire I'm working on and my physical condition that day, my practice can go as long as 2h. Some of the time I'd be working my way at a piece that is at an advanced level like a movement out of Bach English or French Suite.

When it comes reading to music, I do read to a certain extent but not very proficiently. I tend to work on my pieces slowing until I get the notes into my head and rely on my memory to do the rest. My sight-reading has gotten progressively better but still not at a level I can run a piece through the first time without repeating it 10 more times to get the notes memorized.

For the first 6 months instead of getting a beginner's book and work my way up the ladder, I'd pick a piece like Minuet & Trio out of Bach French Suite #3 in Bm and work on it for a few weeks. I'd use the easier beginner pieces as warm-ups. Instead of playing 10 or 15 easy pieces one after another, I'd be working on an intermediate or more advanced piece and just focus on 1 piece for a few weeks. My logic was once I mastered a movement out of a Mozart Sonata, I'd have little difficulty with playing easier pieces like Christmas songs you hear year after year. I do believe in building a strong foundation in the first year. The day I had no energy after work I'd avoid the advanced pieces and play a few pieces below my technical level to keep my fingers going.

The last piece on my list was a piano arrangement of a waltz by Dmitri Shostakovich just over 5m. The first few months I found the piece a bit challenging with the L making big jumps. I wasn't ready for a piece at that level and started learning other pieces. After a while I learned the parts and found some of it rather repetitive. I am now able to play it reasonably well from top to bottom.

The first year and a half, I was practicing my keyboard at home practically 7 days/wk trying to catch up to my close associates who took piano lessons. After I discovered many pianos sit at home as pieces of furniture, I started taking a more leisurely approach to playing although I still play regularly at least 4 days a week. The latest drop out was the son of a family friend. The young man was on the Yamaha music program for piano for 2 years and now the piano sits at home as a piece of furniture too. I was aware even if I have a teacher, I would go out of my way to find music I enjoy than just the pieces assigned by the teacher. Otherwise playing music would become an academic exercise that I wouldn't enjoy.

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788580
12/07/18 02:17 AM
12/07/18 02:17 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online content
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
15 minutes playing exercises
15 minutes reading/sight reading (I was taught to play every piece 3-4 times)
20 minutes working on repertoire pieces
10 minutes playing by ear

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788602
12/07/18 04:11 AM
12/07/18 04:11 AM
England
Lillith Offline
Lillith  Offline

England
I wouldn't get too fussed about structuring it all.

Main thing is to enjoy it.
If you're doing something you don't look forward to, however structured and well thought out, you'll end up packing it in smile

White Roland FP30
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Qazsedcft] #2788624
12/07/18 06:46 AM
12/07/18 06:46 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
500 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

30 minutes pieces
5 minutes have fun

Actually you must ensure you timetable 4 minutes and 43.21 seconds per hour having fun.

Having too much time having fun is very dangerous and is what causes most people to stop.

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2788955
12/08/18 04:22 AM
12/08/18 04:22 AM
Romania
O
Ovidiu M Offline OP
Ovidiu M  Offline OP
O

Romania
Thanks you guys, alot of helpfull answers around here.

Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2789774
12/10/18 12:13 PM
12/10/18 12:13 PM
Romania
O
Ovidiu M Offline OP
Ovidiu M  Offline OP
O

Romania
Eventually i found the best solution....that is 2 hours per day....a little extra effort but its worth it. One hour for repertoire and 1 hour for sight reading/ear training. Its seems like solid training so far.

Last edited by Ovidiu M; 12/10/18 12:14 PM.
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: Ovidiu M] #2789804
12/10/18 01:30 PM
12/10/18 01:30 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
We each march to our own drummer, but I think that one hour devoted to sight-reading and ear-training in a two hour practice session is too much time devoted to those two skills.

For me, I would spend more time on repertoire and more time on technique at the expense of some of your sight-reading and ear-training time. I find this somewhat an unbalanced use of time, but, if this works for you, who am I to contest it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Help regarding practice@ [Re: BruceD] #2789805
12/10/18 01:33 PM
12/10/18 01:33 PM
Romania
O
Ovidiu M Offline OP
Ovidiu M  Offline OP
O

Romania
Thank you for chimiming in....Giving that i didnt provide details regarding the interest in sight reading ear training i must shed some light in here. Im interested mainly for church hymn playing...So i need alot of practice for those 4 voices choral hymns.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
What should I read next?
by lunobili. 12/14/18 12:51 AM
VST - TruePianos vs AddictiveKeys from XLN Audio
by ManishP. 12/13/18 11:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,896
Posts2,771,063
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission