2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oscar1
On the other side, to became a good piano player in communist block was a miracle. Most of the teachers were simply sadistic frustrated bitches who had their dreams crushed and they would take it on the kids making piano playing the least enjoyable they could. It produced quite army of kids that hated the instrument with a passion and begged their parents to cancel their lessons. But there were some good teachers, like my aunt, just very few sadly.

My wife who was in music school in Moscow and then East Berlin tells me of her teacher who would try to slam the fallboard on her fingers. She got very good at yanking her hands away from the keyboard when she would make a mistake to avoid them getting crushed. She was 6yo at the time.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
T
Well, I have two acoustic pianos.

H
H
Yeah well, In the 1900s we didn't have digital pianos and all of their variants; console, slim cabinet, slab home and slab stage. Neither did we have hybrid pianos, midi controllers nor keyboards. The art of piano playing is a live and well and as popular as ever. Acoustic pianos not so much, primarily because they're very heavy and impractical. People are also living in smaller spaces and more are renting. So having a large/heavy instrument within the home is not as practical as it used to be.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In the US people are NOT living in smaller spaces. The average home size in the US has increased radically. Around 400 square feet for a family was typically in US cities a century ago. Today single-occupant apartments are often twice that size, and single-family homes are mostly larger than 1500 square feet, and often 2x or 3x that size.

And digital pianos save only a small amount of space. Height doesn't really matter. Width doesn't matter much ... a digital slab might be 55" wide, while the biggest upright is only 5 or 6 inches wider. The only real difference is the depth. Around 12" for a slab, 18" to 24" for a digital console, and mid- or high-20's for an acoustic upright.

So I don't think space is the reason for the decline in piano uptake.

The big difference is price, both that of the piano and that of upkeep.

H
H
@MacMacMac I wholeheartedly agree. Cost of buying and maintaining an acoustic piano are the major reasons why many prefer digitals. Though weight, dimensions & portability are also valid reasons. But are digital pianos adequate enough to replace acoustic pianos in terms of sound and feel? I think the mid to higher end models are indeed adequate enough.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
I have an acoustic. I just bought a new grand.

Up until this point I have been using a digital. Digital sales must be going crazy if the acoustic sales are down. They start at a significantly lower price point. I got the Yamaha DGX-660 for $1000 and it has all of the bells and whistles.

I got this because of the price point and the price point alone. I had the space for a grand, but I didn't want to spend so much money or time and effort on an acoustic just to learn that I didn't want to continue with learning the instrument. That would entail even more money and work to get rid of it.

It is the perfect middle ground for new students. Realistically enough represented action and sound, at a practical price. Even as students progress, their budget may not and they can never afford to move to an acoustic, but that is okay because a digital is close enough. Some of the higher end digitals even have a great aesthetic appeal leaving no reason to ever move to an acoustic.

Q

Q
B
B
Originally Posted by halherta
@MacMacMac I wholeheartedly agree. Cost of buying and maintaining an acoustic piano are the major reasons why many prefer digitals. Though weight, dimensions & portability are also valid reasons.

I know that in Canada and USA, big houses and lots of space are the norm.

But across the pond, it's not just space: it's living in less-than-fully-soundproof apartments. That is, neighbours. Elderly retired people are the ones owning houses now (some still with their pianos.....); others are living in apartments or semi-detached houses (i.e. with just a wall separating one house from another).

That is the only reason why I can't have an acoustic in my apartment (flat). I have enough space, and cost isn't an issue, but I'm surrounded by neighbors. The only time I can play my piano is when I'm not at work - which is also the time when my neighbors are home.

When I was a student, I had to use the pianos in the practice rooms in the high school (where I was a boarder), and after that, in the Music Department of the university. I used to rush there after school or lectures to try to get the room with my favourite piano, before other students got there.

It would make no sense to buy a piano if I couldn't even play it properly (i.e. with the right dynamics, not at a constant pianissimo) at any decent time, let alone at the time of my choosing, which was why I went for a digital all those years ago.

Now I'm wondering how much I've also saved in maintenance & tuning costs etc (compared to an acoustic) over the eight years I've had it. I've not spent a penny on my digital since I bought it, and it still looks and plays like new.

OK, I did appropriate an old bedsheet to use as a drape over it, to protect it from dust when I'm not playing it........... grin

But are digital pianos adequate enough to replace acoustic pianos in terms of sound and feel? I think the mid to higher end models are indeed adequate enough.

Not once have I felt my digital lacking in any way - at least, when I'm playing it. (Though I still enjoy playing the acoustic grands in the showrooms whenever I'm downtown). OK, it doesn't look anything like a real piano, but looks aren't everything, as a sage would say......

When I was a student and using the best practice pianos whenever I could, there were lots of times when I felt the action wasn't totally even, or some notes were slightly out of tune (there were some heavy hitters among the students.......including me wink ) - even though all the pianos were tuned every six months -, or there was an annoying buzzing sound from inside the piano that I couldn't get rid of.

No longer do I have to put up with that thumb.

If music be the food of love, play on!
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
You make a lot of good points about the advantages of digital, bennevis, I'm sure it strikes a chord with a lot of the readers of this forum.

However, I have to admit that not a day goes by that I don't entertain the thought of springing for an acoustic grand (I probably will eventually, but it'll be a few years out). As nice as my digitals are, there's something about playing the real thing that just gets my heart going every time. One of these days I'll be fortunate enough to be in the one of ~3000+ households.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
R
R
Originally Posted by Gombessa
As nice as my digitals are, there's something about playing the real thing that just gets my heart going every time.

+1

Yes, a digital piano will never ever be the equal of an acoustic.
... there's something about playing the real thing that just gets my heart going every time.

Mac,

This is completely correct. The main reason is, even if you got with a top of the line Roland and spend over $7000, an acoustic has over 200 strings, each string is a very long speaker with a sound board as the amplifier. The sound resonates between the strings causing true over tones.

With digital, you have 2-12 speakers. They much simulate the sound of multiple notes instead of 1-3 speakers for each note being melded into one by the sound board. Then causing others speakers to resonate at their frequency to add depth.

Still, some digitals mimic this damn well. However, without the kinetic and pressure forces and hundreds of speakers, something will always be missing.

Q

Q
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
However, I have to admit that not a day goes by that I don't entertain the thought of springing for an acoustic grand (I probably will eventually, but it'll be a few years out). As nice as my digitals are, there's something about playing the real thing that just gets my heart going every time. One of these days I'll be fortunate enough to be in the one of ~3000+ households.

Besides the music store that I visited two weeks ago, my only experience with an acoustic piano has been as the audience at concerts and listening to recordings. However, since I can't dream to make music like professionals, the lack of personal experience with an acoustic piano makes the idea of an acoustic piano a bit abstract. You can't miss what you've never had. smile This may be how the acoustic piano will finally die out. More people will be like me (w/o any acoustic piano experience) than like you (yearning for an acoustic piano).

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
This may be how the acoustic piano will finally die out. More people will be like me (w/o any acoustic piano experience) than like you (yearning for an acoustic piano).

While this saddens me, I see the same situation play out here, on Reddit, and in real life day in and day out. I fear that you may be right (though the lifetime of acoustic grands are such that neither I nor my children will have to worry about the consequences here).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
B
Originally Posted by SilentQ
Mac,

This is completely correct. The main reason is, even if you got with a top of the line Roland and spend over $7000, an acoustic has over 200 strings, each string is a very long speaker with a sound board as the amplifier. The sound resonates between the strings causing true over tones.

If you can practice at home on a digital like you can on an acoustic - i.e. at a similar volume with no restriction, you'd go for an acoustic every time, assuming you can afford it. Unless you're after the bells & whistles, why would anyone prefer a digital?

Though I suspect that if you have a good digital with good speakers, and you put the volume control up to the same volume as you'd get on an acoustic, you'd get quite a decent sound experience (if not necessarily the playing experience). The vast majority of people playing on digitals play them at a completely unrealistic low volume (which mean that any resonances disappear into the ether), and many are shocked at how loud an acoustic is in the flesh (not on YT recordings) when they get to try one out.......

B
B
As an aside, I just came across this post - recordings made on the V-Piano by a PW member:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2788939/christmas-tunes.html#Post2788939

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission