2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (Beowulf, David B, Back Room Studio, Carey, Brendan, Damien PG, 36251, computron, 13 invisible), 372 guests, and 397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trying To Begin (again) - Need Advice
#2786056 11/29/18 03:05 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone - first let me thank all who will reply and offer their advice to help me. Believe me, it is appreciated!

My goals are to learn about the piano, know how to competently play songs, and above all else - have some fun! I can tell you right off, that if I am not having fun, I will not stay with it. As an adult (51 years old), there are plenty of other things I have to do in my life that aren't fun, so if learning to play the piano is another one, I know I will not want to continue.

I have attempted to learn piano in the past, but with a busy life (long hours at work, younger kids at the time, spending time with the wife, friends, etc) it was hard to find enough time to get to the keyboard regularly. I am a bit older than I was the last time I tried and the kids are older too, busy with their own lives, so they don't demand as much of my time as they did in the past. I find myself sitting on the couch in the evening, just wasting time watching tv. Why not try to restart my goals on the piano & do something productive instead of sitting in front of a tv?

I am a mostly self-taught guitarist who has played guitar, on and off, for a long time, since I was a teen. My first guitar course was on cassettes, so I am no stranger to learning music on my own! I am not a beginner with music theory, notes, scales, etc., but I have learned almost all of it over the years, on my own. I always wished I chose to learn the piano instead of guitar, but it wasn't really an option for me because the cost would have been too high for my parents back then. I chose guitar because it was cheaper, at least I thought so back then (what did I know?).

With all the background above, I need some advice and comments on my "plan" to start learning piano:

1. I am looking at the Yamaha P71 weighted action digital piano. It is $399 on Amazon. From what I read online, it is the same as the P45. Both models seem to have great reviews and it is probably more piano than I need for my limited goals, but I read that a new student should buy the best they can afford. This one might be the one for me, but I am open to comments and suggestions.

2. I want to buy a good, sturdy stand for the piano. I found a Knox Gear Z style stand for $58 on Amazon. Good reviews saying it is sturdy.

3. I need suggestions for a good sturdy bench. I am a big guy - 6'2", 225lbs, so I don't want a scissor bench. I want something that feels comfortable and rock solid. I found a Premium Antique Piano Bench by Griffin on Amazon for $65. It looks okay to me, with good reviews, but what do I know? I would love some suggestions.

4. I did read that I probably will need to upgrade the sustain pedal that comes with the piano. Is that something I need now or can I hold off? I don't think they are really expensive? Any suggestions for a guy with big feet (size 12) - being sturdy and not moving is most important. And, if it matters, the piano will be in a room with carpet on the floor.

5. Last and most important, how should I begin learning? There seems to be plenty of free videos on Youtube and I am sure I could learn things randomly as I find new free videos. That is kind of how I learned guitar and it is NOT an efficient way to learn. I was forced to learn guitar as a teen, using free stuff I could find, because I was paying my own way to learn the guitar. Fortunately, I am able to cover the cost of learning piano now, so I have more options. I already know many will suggest a one-on-one in person teacher, and I understand the benefits, but that isn't very convenient for my life schedule. I want to learn any time I have free time, mostly in the evenings. So, I think online will work best for me, at least until I get to an intermediate level (if I ever do). I found several different options by searching using Google, and of the sites I looked at, Playground Sessions seemed like a good pick for me, given my goals. But, I would like your more experienced thoughts on lessons for me situation and goals.

Well, what are your thoughts? Did I miss anything? All comments about my plan are welcome and appreciated!

Last edited by Colorado Mac; 11/29/18 03:06 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Trying To Begin (again) - Need Advice
Colorado Mac #2786069 11/29/18 03:37 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I started piano from scratch in my sixties. It can be fun, but it’s difficult and hard work, taking a lot of practice to get to playing some decently rich pieces. You have to enjoy the process, even on your off days, long hours alone, to get to the final fun and enjoyment of the reward. You can doodle around having fun early on, but that’s not going to get you far.

The P71 is probably OK for a beginner, but the drawback is it doesn’t provide the most rewarding experience towards your fun goal. Problem is if at the start you spend more and don’t stay with it, it might not resale at the price you bought it. Anyway try it, in a store and see, it’s decent for a beginner, and be prepared to spend again and more after several months to enhance the experience.

I started by learning right off a piece of music way beyond my beginner level, but which I really wanted to play. This was my fun goal, it kept me going and was enjoyable although a slow laborious progress. At the same time I used some adult beginner (method) books which helped with the former and opened me up to the whole process of learning piano. Eventually I got a teacher, and really discovered how to play properly!

I do other things too, as you say so much to do so little time, keep them going and maybe piano will also become one of your fun things to do.

spanishbuddha #2786094 11/29/18 04:19 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I started piano from scratch in my sixties. It can be fun, but it’s difficult and hard work, taking a lot of practice to get to playing some decently rich pieces. You have to enjoy the process, even on your off days, long hours alone, to get to the final fun and enjoyment of the reward. You can doodle around having fun early on, but that’s not going to get you far.

The P71 is probably OK for a beginner, but the drawback is it doesn’t provide the most rewarding experience towards your fun goal. Problem is if at the start you spend more and don’t stay with it, it might not resale at the price you bought it. Anyway try it, in a store and see, it’s decent for a beginner, and be prepared to spend again and more after several months to enhance the experience.

I started by learning right off a piece of music way beyond my beginner level, but which I really wanted to play. This was my fun goal, it kept me going and was enjoyable although a slow laborious progress. At the same time I used some adult beginner (method) books which helped with the former and opened me up to the whole process of learning piano. Eventually I got a teacher, and really discovered how to play properly!

I do other things too, as you say so much to do so little time, keep them going and maybe piano will also become one of your fun things to do.

Thanks for your feedback!

Why is it that you say the P71 doesn't provide the most rewarding experience towards my fun goal? I am not doubting you - I simply want to learn why you feel it is the wrong choice for me and what you think would be a better option.

Having years of experience with guitar, I do understand what you are saying about the many hours of hard work to make progress. I am ready for that and am not afraid of it. I guess what I meant in my original post, is that I want the whole process to be enjoyable, I don't have any particular level I need to get to with my playing, as long as what I am learning and doing is fun and I am moving at my own pace without someone pushing me to go faster.

Last edited by Colorado Mac; 11/29/18 04:26 PM.
Colorado Mac #2786166 11/29/18 07:42 PM
F
F
If you're not sure if you will stick with it then by all means go for the entry level piano. If you find piano isn't for you then you won't be out much cash. It is always easier to upgrade later. While more expensive piano's will offer much more by way of expressive actions and "voices" (the different instrument sounds) you don't really need that as a beginner. At this point you will be learning fingering technique, some music theory, and trying to play some simple songs. Remember Digital Pianos are essentially consumer electronics. They are mostly out of date by the time you open the box and will never have a real good resale value vs. initial cost.

There is a Z type bench available if you feel it is needed but the only time I've ever heard of a scissors type bench giving way was with a person who weighed 400+ pounds.

Alfred's All-in-one Course is popular on this board (I use it myself) so that may be a good place for you to start. Don't just breeze through the early lessons by moving on after you feel you are "good enough". Make sure you understand it first. I speak from experience here.

Finally if you can afford/find time for it take lessons. A good teacher will help you make the most of your practice time and help keep you from developing bad habits. I found that lessons also help me stay the course. When I first started I would be practicing away and then go "Oh that's shiny" and suddenly a couple of days had passed without my practicing. Then I would jump back in for a while and the something else would distract me and a week or more would pass. Etc. Having something I want to accomplish by the next lesson definitely helps keep me on track. Good Luck!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Colorado Mac #2786190 11/29/18 08:41 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi,

I restarted in my 60s. I learned that there is no rush, and the trick is not to play notes, but to hear the music clearly in my mind, and then play it. I learned to enjoy every musical sound I play, no matter how simple. When I play like this, the fun and interest never fades, as I learn how to create different rhythms, tones, and contrasts. I am in no rush, because there is no place to rush to.

I began by watching the videos by Illinca Vartic on YouTube which set the foundation for my musical journey. I watched many others for other ideas and I still study what different musicians have to say.

I decided to follow the Russian Piano Method because I noticed that the approach encourages equal dexterity, flexibility, and skillfulless in both hands. It felt complete. For three months I followed Vartic's musical course, but then went out on my own. I found a complete set of videos for the Russian Method on YouTube and I just follow it. I follow the book very slowly, repeating pieces hundreds of time, always going back to the fundamentals as I learn to project my feelings into the piano.

I also used the Suzuki book, because Jenny MacMillian gives excellent tutorials on YouTube. PianoTV also has many tutorials for beginners as well as a $90 beginners course which you can purchase without subscription. I prefer this business model.

You can also find complete demonstrations for other more popular methods such as the Faber Adults music books. I much prefer Faber to Alfred's.

My approach is very simple. I watch, I listen closely, and then I play. It's very relaxing. No pressurer, no stress, no commitments, other than to learn to play music in my own time and my own way.

I hope this helps.

Colorado Mac #2786193 11/29/18 08:43 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Re: Ilinca Vartic's online course, it can be found here.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Colorado Mac #2786259 11/29/18 11:58 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
Hello everyone - first let me thank all who will reply and offer their advice to help me. Believe me, it is appreciated!

My goals are to learn about the piano, know how to competently play songs, and above all else - have some fun! I can tell you right off, that if I am not having fun, I will not stay with it. As an adult (51 years old), there are plenty of other things I have to do in my life that aren't fun, so if learning to play the piano is another one, I know I will not want to continue.

you know that all depends on your definition of fun. I think for most of us it is not fun that keeps us going, but more the fight with ourselves to overcome the obstacles we find learning piano puts up against us. Personally when I learn a piece to some sort of proficiency, (when it should be the fun part), I completely lose interest in the piece.

Important you should prepare yourself for the difficulty of coming from another instrument, because the skill isn't transferable. You will have to start almost at the bottom of the ladder like anyone else. Keep in mind it's going to take a long time, as long as it has taken for your guitar playing to reach its current level. That might also be a factor in how or what you choose to learn. Playground Sessions won't be able to answer your questions, or tell you that your posture is wrong, or even explain what is going on in an accomplished players mind. You can get by without a teacher there is no doubt, but if you can afford it then it is a much more efficient method. I also would recommend Alfred's All In One, it is not perfect but the initial structure contained in the book is just what the beginner needs and usually desires. It won't turn you into a great pianist but will introduce the basics and keep you motivated until you are ready to move on.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Colorado Mac #2786286 11/30/18 02:34 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Starting piano as an adult 10 years ago I never considered myself a total beginner. I learned to read the Treble Clef from playing a recorder and later the violin in high school. I also picked up the Bass Clef playing timpani (kettle drums) with the school band. Many years ago I didn't have the confidence to get into piano playing because of L-R coordination After I got my Yamaha PSR-520 61-keyboard I haven't stop playing.

I find a lot of people stopped playing because music has become an academic exercise. The only repertoire they played were the ones assigned by their teachers and works by Classical composers who lived ages ago.

There are over a million songs you can find online that would last you a lifetime. In the beginning I played mostly Classical music. I found YouTube videos from students at various conservatory levels and certain pieces would always come up like Bach Invention #1, 8, 13, Minuet in G from the Notebook from Anna M Bach. These are short pieces from 1m up to 3 at most.

I went to a piano store and got arrangements of Pop tunes by the Beetles, Abba. Certain songs uploaded online by students would come up all the time like Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven", Freddie Mercury "Bohemian Rhapsody", Billy Joel "Piano Man", and Yiruma from Korea "The River Flows in You". These may not be the easiest to learn but you can have fun playing. 1 place I'd go to periodically is 8notes.com. They have a good selection of piano pieces at various levels. You can read a sample score, listen to the playback before deciding to download a piece.

About 10 years ago, I went to a Radio Shack store for their bankruptcy sale. They carried a Concertmate 61-keyboard with a set of songbooks. In the clearance sale, the books with L chords were sold separately for a few $. When you get older, playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Twinkle Little Star" or "Chopsticks" might look silly (childish). But easy arrangements of songs like "Yellow Rose of Texas", "When the Saints Go Marching In" & "Hava Nagila" are in the Concertmate songbooks and fun to play.

Good luck...

Colorado Mac #2786297 11/30/18 03:43 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

Why is it that you say the P71 doesn't provide the most rewarding experience towards my fun goal? I am not doubting you - I simply want to learn why you feel it is the wrong choice for me and what you think would be a better option.

I didn’t say the P71 is the wrong choice. But just as with guitars, low end to high end, the experience can be different, for example the sound or tone, the action feeling, etc. Pop into a store if you can and compare just to get an idea.

Richrf #2786341 11/30/18 08:00 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Richrf
Hi,

I restarted in my 60s. I learned that there is no rush, and the trick is not to play notes, but to hear the music clearly in my mind, and then play it. I learned to enjoy every musical sound I play, no matter how simple. When I play like this, the fun and interest never fades, as I learn how to create different rhythms, tones, and contrasts. I am in no rush, because there is no place to rush to.

I began by watching the videos by Illinca Vartic on YouTube which set the foundation for my musical journey. I watched many others for other ideas and I still study what different musicians have to say.

I decided to follow the Russian Piano Method because I noticed that the approach encourages equal dexterity, flexibility, and skillfulless in both hands. It felt complete. For three months I followed Vartic's musical course, but then went out on my own. I found a complete set of videos for the Russian Method on YouTube and I just follow it. I follow the book very slowly, repeating pieces hundreds of time, always going back to the fundamentals as I learn to project my feelings into the piano.

I also used the Suzuki book, because Jenny MacMillian gives excellent tutorials on YouTube. PianoTV also has many tutorials for beginners as well as a $90 beginners course which you can purchase without subscription. I prefer this business model.

You can also find complete demonstrations for other more popular methods such as the Faber Adults music books. I much prefer Faber to Alfred's.

My approach is very simple. I watch, I listen closely, and then I play. It's very relaxing. No pressurer, no stress, no commitments, other than to learn to play music in my own time and my own way.

I hope this helps.

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
Colorado Mac #2786381 11/30/18 10:37 AM
R
R
I am a 47 year-old that started playing in September 2017. I don't know enough about the items to advise what to buy but I can tell you what worked for me in terms of practise and motivation.

Initially, I used Alfred's and while it was good, it wasn't really focused enough for me. I found a really good teacher and mentioned that I would like to do the ABRSM grades. This works for me since it gives me something specific to aim for, gives me a measurable sense of improvement and keeps me motivated. I passed my Grade 1 in March and got a merit on my grade 2 last week so it's the right method for me.

On top of the grade pieces (and similar to previous posters), I bought a few pieces that were above my level but which I would use as longer term projects. As such, I've been dabbling with some Einaudi pieces as well as a couple of pop songs and the formerly mentioned "River Flows in You". They're pretty difficult but I do enjoy trying them out and even though it's slow, I do notice a gradual improvement. My teacher also knows about these pieces so if I ever have specific questions around them, she is more than happy to help.

The only thing I can say about the piano is that, as I was improving my Grade 2 pieces, I found that the sustain pedal on our digital piano was starting to limit me. The pedal used to move around and it wasn't graduated like on an acoustic piano, it was either on or off. My girlfriend is studying Grade 6 now so we finally took the plunge and bought an upright piano.

Obviously different methods work for different people so this may not be your bag but it's certainly working for me... Roll on Grade 3 grin

Colorado Mac #2786391 11/30/18 10:58 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
The fun in it, to me and many inquisitive individuals, is in the learning, discovery, and improvement. If you find learning and discovery, and improvement to be fun, and love music, you'll be successful. If these things seem like a chore, you won't. However, there no is way around putting in the time, and if you don't have the patience for hours / week, for several years, then I would expect you to give it up. Life is short, do it if you think you'll like it and can tolerate the grind.

There are online teachers who may post video lessons for you, and that may work for your schedule. There is so much to learn and so much to learn from, including all-in-one beginner books, scales, chords, exercises, sheet reading, repertoire, pop, jazz, classical, that one could never master it all without serious dedication. I'd suggest deciding on an ultimate goal and finding a path that will get you there, and allow yourself to meander while continuing on the path.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Colorado Mac #2786415 11/30/18 11:52 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, it is exactly the dialog that I wanted to learn from. I will respond to some of the comments made above, and hope you all have some follow ups to my comments.

I understand the comments suggesting I find an in-person piano teacher. I don't discount the benefits of live lessons. At this point, a live teacher isn't a viable option. My work schedule & responsibilities make it impossible to schedule live lessons on a particular day & time each week. Trying to do so is a sure recipe for failure. Since I am brand new and don't yet know how seriously I will take playing, I want to take the first month or two and try to learn some on my own. Take my time and ease into it. I looked at the Alfred's All In One - Adult Level 1 book on Amazon and there seems to be plenty of very basic stuff I can work on for awhile. I am still interested on thoughts from you, on what online resources would make the most sense for me, at my level right now?

I get that the Yamaha P71 (same as P45) is a beginner instrument. But that is exactly what I am - a beginner. When I asked opinions about whether it was a good choice, I meant - is it a solid beginner instrument? I own several very expensive, very fine guitars that I acquired over my many years of playing. But when I first started, I bought a cheap beginner guitar that wasn't very good and made learning harder than it should have been. At that time - the early 1980s, there really weren't any very good beginner guitars, so beginners struggled with their cheap beginner instruments until they could afford a quality instrument and had become really serious about their guitar playing. Now, there are very good quality beginner level guitars available for reasonable prices - Squire is a name brand owned by Fender that makes really great beginner guitars, for example. So, I guess what I am asking is, would the P71 be a like a Squire?

I have always enjoyed the learning part of music, when playing guitar. I would imagine that it would be the same while learning to play piano. My goals are pretty modest - become a decent piano player of popular songs, etc. and enjoy the process.

Last edited by Colorado Mac; 11/30/18 12:02 PM.
Colorado Mac #2786468 11/30/18 02:01 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, it is exactly the dialog that I wanted to learn from. I will respond to some of the comments made above, and hope you all have some follow ups to my comments.

I understand the comments suggesting I find an in-person piano teacher. I don't discount the benefits of live lessons. At this point, a live teacher isn't a viable option. My work schedule & responsibilities make it impossible to schedule live lessons on a particular day & time each week. Trying to do so is a sure recipe for failure. Since I am brand new and don't yet know how seriously I will take playing, I want to take the first month or two and try to learn some on my own. Take my time and ease into it. I looked at the Alfred's All In One - Adult Level 1 book on Amazon and there seems to be plenty of very basic stuff I can work on for awhile. I am still interested on thoughts from you, on what online resources would make the most sense for me, at my level right now?

Without a live teacher, I'm thinking the most important thing is to watch the Youtube videos on piano technique which you are unlikely to get in the Alfred book. I did that, but until I had a teacher give me feedback, I don't think it worked. Still, your mileage may vary. I suggest videos out of Pianist Magazine on Youtube, and ones like this one, and this rather amusing one by Zach Evans.

I'm guessing one of the best resources for Alfred though is the thread on this forum for camaraderie, support, and mutual problem solving.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Colorado Mac #2786485 11/30/18 02:40 PM
P
P
I get that the Yamaha P71 (same as P45) is a beginner instrument. But that is exactly what I am - a beginner. When I asked opinions about whether it was a good choice, I meant - is it a solid beginner instrument?
It's not so much a question of whether it's solid, but whether you will enjoy playing it, primarily as it relates to its action, or how the keys feel when you press them. Even among similarly priced, entry-level digital pianos there are vast differences not due to quality but their design/mechanics. That's why it's a good idea to go to a couple of stores and try out as many keyboards in your price range as you can. The goal is just to see what your reaction to playing each one is; you're not trying judge whether it's closer to a real piano or if you can play repeated notes rapidly or anything like that. Instead, you're just trying to see if you prefer one over another, and to what degree if so. This should take only a minute or two on each one. You don't need to play a song. You don't even need to turn pianos on, which might in fact be the best way to test how they feel.

In my case, after wandering around a music store and then a best buy for 20 minutes, I found that I really disliked the feel of the yamahas (p45, p115), whose keys felt like they simply had little pieces of foam beneath them providing resistance, reminding me of they keys on the $60 hollow plastic keyboard (my starter piano) I'd just sold. On the other hand, the Casio PX-150 I ended up buying felt VASTLY superior, as though there was a relatively complex and sophisticated mechanism attached to the keys. Point is, there may be digital pianos you love and ones you dislike. Or you may not notice any meaningful difference between them, and you can choose solely on price/appearance etc! Just about anything from Yamaha, Casio, Roland will be high quality and have good resale.

pelanglo #2786519 11/30/18 04:03 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by pelanglo
I get that the Yamaha P71 (same as P45) is a beginner instrument. But that is exactly what I am - a beginner. When I asked opinions about whether it was a good choice, I meant - is it a solid beginner instrument?
It's not so much a question of whether it's solid, but whether you will enjoy playing it, primarily as it relates to its action, or how the keys feel when you press them. Even among similarly priced, entry-level digital pianos there are vast differences not due to quality but their design/mechanics. That's why it's a good idea to go to a couple of stores and try out as many keyboards in your price range as you can. The goal is just to see what your reaction to playing each one is; you're not trying judge whether it's closer to a real piano or if you can play repeated notes rapidly or anything like that. Instead, you're just trying to see if you prefer one over another, and to what degree if so. This should take only a minute or two on each one. You don't need to play a song. You don't even need to turn pianos on, which might in fact be the best way to test how they feel.

In my case, after wandering around a music store and then a best buy for 20 minutes, I found that I really disliked the feel of the yamahas (p45, p115), whose keys felt like they simply had little pieces of foam beneath them providing resistance, reminding me of they keys on the $60 hollow plastic keyboard (my starter piano) I'd just sold. On the other hand, the Casio PX-150 I ended up buying felt VASTLY superior, as though there was a relatively complex and sophisticated mechanism attached to the keys. Point is, there may be digital pianos you love and ones you dislike. Or you may not notice any meaningful difference between them, and you can choose solely on price/appearance etc! Just about anything from Yamaha, Casio, Roland will be high quality and have good resale.

Thanks for your insights - they make sense to me. I am going to try to get down to the local Guitar Center later today to see how each model in that price range "feels."

Colorado Mac #2786522 11/30/18 04:28 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Coming from the guitar you should love the piano / keyboard as well. You can get a lot more notes in with a lot less effort in my opinion! I have over the years spent a lot of time playing popular music (my era is 60s and 70s, but older stuff is really nice too) as well as classical. But 'popular music': I guess it depends on how you play guitar - my method is chord-based but playing the tunes as well (if it doesn't fit easily in the original key, just transpose), so moving that to the piano was quite natural and relaxing (no need to stand or have the guitar digging you in the ribs!). In 'my day' there was no internet so I bought song books (with the songs I liked) that contained piano arrangements and chords written on the top and basically 'bashed' through them. To start off with I stuck to 'easy' keys (C and G) where possible.
It's useful to get scales and arpeggios to get the fingers accustomed to the instrument, and perhaps pick up a book of piano chords (although I never really got along with that last one, I'm very short on patience, just started looking at it after many, many years). Others can advise on lessons no doubt, I can't.
Can't comment on the other items, but I recently bought an M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal and am rather pleased with it. Stays put better than the Casio thing I had before - it arrived with a sort of plastic cover on the pedal itself (presumably to protect the 'chrome finish' and I've left that on - grips nicely!) Mind-you, my shoes are size 9.....
There do, however, seem to be lots of courses on the internet, so others may be better placed to advise on them.

regards
Pete
Colorado Mac #2786625 12/01/18 01:52 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
About those moving pedals - I wrapped bungee cords between the footings of my x-stand and have the pedal up against them. Keeps the pedal in place no matter where I have the stand/keyboard. And I think a different pedal than the one that comes with keyboard is worth the price of admission.

And I'm with the folks who encourage trying out different keyboards. They are such a personal choice.

Have fun!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Colorado Mac #2786645 12/01/18 05:19 AM
M
M
I actually preferred Suzuki 1 to the Alfreds (I have both) but that was just my personal choice. My first piano (DP) was the Korg B1 - bought on impulse. I just decided at my age (late 50's) it was now or never. I don't regret it one bit. It's hardly the last word on pianos, it kind of feels like an acoustic action and I don't feel it's holding me back. It has no connectivity with a computer though. I've been on an upright acoustic. It's different but not something I couldn't get accustomed to over a few weeks, maybe less. After I'm done with the Korg (after 2 or 3 years) I'll sell it and take the £200 or so loss. It still only works out at around £75 per year. Pretty cheap for a hobby.

Colorado Mac #2786691 12/01/18 10:23 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I went to the local Guitar Center last night, to take a look at their digital pianos. They had several Yamaha models there, including the P-45. I fooled around on it for a bit, mainly trying to get a "feel" for it. It seemed like a good, solid choice for a beginner. The salesman, doing what they are supposed to do, showed me a higher (and more expensive) model - the P-125. The P-125 felt much better under my untrained hands. When I got home, I watched a few Youtube videos reviewing it and I really like that you can attach your iPad to the piano it adds a ton of options for sound, etc. So, I think it may be worth the extra $200, to get the newest Yamaha in this price category, with a better feel and options.

Unfortunately, Guitar Center didn't have the Casio PX-160, so I didn't get to check that one out in person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has Rolands V Piano modelling improved in the last 10 years?
by MelodicRevengexX - 09/25/20 07:37 PM
Are you allowed to advertise your piano here?
by Learux - 09/25/20 06:31 PM
Schimmel K122 vs. Grand piano?
by alikat1234 - 09/25/20 05:37 PM
Digital/Electric/Sta
ge/Synth Piano Buyer

by throwawayquestion - 09/25/20 05:31 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,821
Posts3,006,887
Members98,665
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission