2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Boboulus, anotherscott, Calavera, chopinetto, AndrewJCW, 21 invisible), 793 guests, and 547 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Has the V-Piano been completely superseded?
pianissimoe #2785757 11/28/18 06:12 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for many of your helpful and comprehensive comments!

Prior to this post, I had contacted Roland to see what was going on with the V-Piano. You might be interested in their responses.

Are there any advantages to the V-Piano over the RD-2000?

The V-Piano has a different (more advanced) keyboard assembly, a few more editing options, and more models (different types of pianos) than the RD-2000.

It's interesting they are saying the V-Piano has a "more advanced" keyboard assembly. I wonder if that's a different way to say "the assembly is more complicated". It's not clear from their answer if they're claiming it's in any way more "authentic" or objectively closer to the physics of a real acoustic piano.

Has the V-Piano been discontinued?

Yes, we are no longer selling the V-Piano.

Have they officially announced this anywhere? I suppose the writing has been on the wall with lack of updates and the like. But I'm very surprised it still shows up as the first item, as if it's their flagship item, in multiple places on the website.

Will there be a new model of the V-Piano?

There is not a newer version of the V-Piano available at this time. There may be a new model in the future, but we have not heard of any plans for this.

This doesn't mean anything really, I suppose. smile

moe.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
pianissimoe #2785781 11/28/18 06:44 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianissimoe

Have they officially announced this anywhere? I suppose the writing has been on the wall with lack of updates and the like. But I'm very surprised it still shows up as the first item, as if it's their flagship item, in multiple places on the website.

Well, it's good you asked and didn't sit around waiting patiently for something to show up when it wasn't ever going to show up. smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
pianissimoe #2785834 11/28/18 10:15 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianissimoe

It is common for manufacturers to keep items "current" on the web site for a while after they are no longer in production, if there are still units available in the sales channel.

pianissimoe #2785870 11/29/18 03:57 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
[i]Are there any advantages

The V-Piano has a different (more advanced) keyboard assembly, a few more editing options, and more models (different types of pianos) than the RD-2000.

What is this? The V piano is supposed to have a phaiii keyboard. Is this an admission that it is, after all, a better keyboard than the other phaiii on the fp7f and HP pianos etc?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
toddy #2785873 11/29/18 04:17 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
[i]Are there any advantages

What is this? The V piano is supposed to have a phaiii keyboard. Is this an admission that it is, after all, a better keyboard than the other phaiii on the fp7f and HP pianos etc?

Or maybe it's an admission that the PHAIII as such is better than all later generations... wink
JK

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
pianissimoe #2785884 11/29/18 05:20 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Or maybe it’s a big pile of BS?

pianissimoe #2785892 11/29/18 06:50 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Jobert and Pete 14. I must admit that both of these hypotheses (the pha3 being the pinnacle of Roland DP keyboard achievement hypothesis and the big pile of BS hypothesis) had flitted across my mind, too. Now I'm keen to find out which is the truth.......but I already have my suspicions.

If it had been an improved PHAiii, something like the VPC1 for Ravenscroft modification, then we should surely have been told.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

pianissimoe #2785899 11/29/18 07:29 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It might have something to do with the electronics - not the keybed itself. I have a vague recollection of a separate processor or something, dedicated to the keyboard.

Greg

pianissimoe #2785906 11/29/18 07:41 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by sullivang
It might have something to do with the electronics - not the keybed itself. I have a vague recollection of a separate processor or something, dedicated to the keyboard.

Greg

This was certainly claimed for the generation of rd800 Roland DPs (it was called 'touch detection technology') but that's some years after the V Piano was launched.

toddy #2785907 11/29/18 07:42 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

It says that the V-Piano has a more advanced action than the RD2000. There's nothing there about whether it has a more advanced action than the FP7F.

IMO, though, the FP7F had a better action than the RD2000.

pianissimoe #2785924 11/29/18 08:36 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I these quoted claims come from marketing literature, then I have to go with pete14: maybe it’s a big pile of BS.

anotherscott #2785930 11/29/18 08:41 AM
D
D
I still have my FP7F hooked up to Pianoteq that I use in my office for lunchtime practice. It still works like new and I still prefer it's action to PHA4 and rate it as good as the PHA5 in my LX17.

So much for the theory that latest is always greatest, which brings us back to the OPs dilemma. Why should you not by an instrument that really works for you (and keeps its resale value) just because in theory it doesn't have the latest tech?

Last edited by DazedAndConfused; 11/29/18 08:42 AM.
DazedAndConfused #2785935 11/29/18 08:57 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
So much for the theory that latest is always greatest, which brings us back to the OPs dilemma.

Except that the OP no longer has a dilemma as Roland had discontinued the V-Piano.

Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
Why should you not by an instrument that really works for you (and keeps its resale value) just because in theory it doesn't have the latest tech?

As it's been throughout history, sometimes old has even better tech than new.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
anotherscott #2786030 11/29/18 12:41 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by anotherscott

It says that the V-Piano has a more advanced action than the RD2000. There's nothing there about whether it has a more advanced action than the FP7F.

IMO, though, the FP7F had a better action than the RD2000.

I tend to agree with you - the PHAiii is a really great feeling action and very responsive. But the point is that if the Roland representative is also agreeing that the PHAiii is better than the PHA50 (two generations later), this would be an extraordinary admission for a marketing person....even if it's a view held amongst some players of Roland pianos.

pianissimoe #2786217 11/29/18 08:44 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
To me, it seems that we tend to like the keybeds we are used to unless our current keybed is bad enough that we are looking for something more suitable. With that said, I do prefer the keybed on my V-Grand to some of the newer Roland DP keybds I have played. I assume that the keybed on the V-Grand and the V-Piano are the same. Bennevis might know, since he has played both products.

I have never even seen a V-Piano in real life, though I really would like to someday. I can say that the keybed on my V-Grand felt better to me for whatever reason than the other Roland products of the time that were available for me to try, that also had the PHAIII keybed. So, again an assumption - that POSSIBLY not all PHAIII keybeds are created equal (?). I seem to remember discussions here around the time that the PHAIV was introduced, saying that there were a couple of different versions of these keybeds.

I can't say that the PHAIII keybed on the V-Piano/Grand is better constructed or otherwise technically better than the newer keybeds (though that would not make much sense to me if it were true). I can only say that I personally like it better. The newer keybeds feel too "bouncy" to me, probably because I am used to my V-Grand.

In this forum, unless one of us works for (or knows well enough to get the real information, someone who does) Roland and is working in the area that deals with the keybeds in their products (they are a big company), we are on the distant outside looking in, and therefore know nothing of what goes on inside Roland with this stuff.

I remember working for Cisco Systems as a software engineer for a few years, and reading speculative discussions about their products in forums and often wondering whether I should say anything to correct all the misinformation or not. I decided not to because I didn't want to risk getting fired. smile

Since I know nothing of the innards of the Roland company and their engineering department, I can only comment with any certainty on what I personally like better and not as well (personal taste), while (hopefully) clearly stating that anything else I can say about any Roland product (that might otherwise be construed as fact) is purely an assumption based on nothing more than uneducated guesswork, making the probability of being inaccurate at or near, 100%.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
TonyB #2786220 11/29/18 09:00 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TonyB
So, again an assumption - that POSSIBLY not all PHAIII keybeds are created equal (?).

I've subtly wondered this about all manufacturers' actions at some point. Particularly striking is the Yamaha GHS between the P1x5 and DGX models. I think it's definitely possible that some keybed support (some may be steel-framed, others may be plastic or thinner or something else) may be different and that affects the feel/performance of the action...

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #2786230 11/29/18 09:24 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
I can't say that the PHAIII keybed on the V-Piano/Grand is better constructed or otherwise technically better than the newer keybeds (though that would not make much sense to me if it were true).

It makes sense if the new design were specifically created to be less expensive. And/or lighter in weight.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
So, again an assumption - that POSSIBLY not all PHAIII keybeds are created equal (?).

I've subtly wondered this about all manufacturers' actions at some point. Particularly striking is the Yamaha GHS between the P1x5 and DGX models. I think it's definitely possible that some keybed support (some may be steel-framed, others may be plastic or thinner or something else) may be different and that affects the feel/performance of the action...

I don't know if it was just the one unit I tried, but I thought the DGX660 played particularly nicely, it felt better to me than the (ostensibly) same action in the MOXF8/MODX8.

toddy #2786353 11/30/18 07:44 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jobert and Pete 14. I must admit that both of these hypotheses (the pha3 being the pinnacle of Roland DP keyboard achievement hypothesis and the big pile of BS hypothesis) had flitted across my mind, too. Now I'm keen to find out which is the truth.......but I already have my suspicions.

If it had been an improved PHAiii, something like the VPC1 for Ravenscroft modification, then we should surely have been told.

I think the notion that the PHAIII is better than the PHAIV is probably one of personal taste in actions. Just as many people have raved about the PHAIV in other threads. If you look at the evolution of the Roland PHA actions, it is clear that they get lighter e.g., the PHA50 action feels of similar weight to the Kawai Grand Feel action. That change is bound to delight some and infuriate those who prefer the weightier action. Is there anything more than weight creating a difference?

There is only one way to find out for sure and that is to find a store with the RD700NX, V-piano, FP-7F, HPi50 etc., and play these actions with the power button off. If then you feel a difference, then there must be one. Certainly, it should be possible with some scale weights to test the weighting of these actions too i.e., in order to rule out that being the main difference.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
pianissimoe #2786373 11/30/18 08:53 AM
This may be a silly question, but ... is the V-piano even being sold anymore? I've never seen one in shops.

MacMacMac #2786387 11/30/18 09:54 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This may be a silly question, but ... is the V-piano even being sold anymore? I've never seen one in shops.

See the OP's second post above. The answer is no.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to relax while recording
by Sebs - 01/17/21 12:12 PM
2020 Petrof P-125
by Drew92 - 01/17/21 11:57 AM
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,328
Posts3,047,937
Members100,098
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission