2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 105 of 302 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 301 302
J
J
As far as I'm concerned, the problem of distortion is also in the headphones, even if the sound is a little better.
As far as the technical aspects are concerned, I do not understand it, and I have to trust Kawai, even though I do not understand why a sampling problem does not affect ALL NV10s, but only a few.
In any case, it will be necessary that the problem be solved, because I do not think that the people affected by this problem will give up to obtain satisfaction after an investment of 8000 euros to satisfy their passion.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Is it safe to say we’re all still buzzing over the NV10?

F
FSi Offline
F
Oh Dear, what have I done...😩

We live in a country with no Kawai dealership.
Passing all the hurdles of inter continental transport and taxes, I have ordered my NV 10 from a neighboring country.

This would be my second attempt to own a piano this season.
The first being a CA 97 dropped and damaged by the airways supposed to deliver.
(Case severely damaged and does not start up . . . Not even a light - Airline insurance = 45 days until they reply to your claim)

This time via road transport for 2400 km to it's new home.
You guys tell me that I have ordered a "super expensive hummingbird" 🐦

I need a drink, seriously

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSi

OK! You have ordered a super expensive hummingbird! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSi

You may have ordered such a bird. smile
Not all NV10's are affected (my personal impression, and only from this thread here, is, that it's a minority, but a non-negligible minority). And some of the affected ones can still be tamed with the built-in equalizer (Tone Control).
So cross your fingers and hope that your's is fine. And have that drink while you're waiting...

Do you know when it will be delivered?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats FSi!

Hopefully it arrives in good shape. Do you know if it's being shipped pre-assembled or new-in-box(es)? I've had an unfortunate instance of shipping damage on one NV10 I ordered before, and my dealer believes it has something to do with how they package up the legs. Hopefully you don't have any delivery issues (and that you have proper shipping insurance in case you have trouble with cross-border warranty issues).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
FSI, Welcome to the Forum and our little group of NV10 owners. You can get good advice, if you need it, with assembly. Or maybe regulating the sustain pedal from some of the “experts” that hang out here; like Gombessa and JoBert.

It seems like a 1500 mile truck ride is long. However, these pianos are shipped all over the world without a problem. Let us know when you get it and maybe send a picture? Congrats! yippie

Last edited by TomLC; 11/26/18 12:18 PM.

Kawai NV10
F
FSi Offline
F
Thank you. Will definitely ask for assistance 😊

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSi
Thank you. Will definitely ask for assistance 😊

I’m sure they don’t mind my offering their time and knowledge. wink

Kawai NV10
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jgbs
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Hello everyone.
The Kawai technician I've been harassing for several weeks, called me this morning to tell me that Kawai had received enough complaints from around the world on the NV10 but also on ca98 and had found the problem of distortion. This would come from sampling and a new version should be available quite soon, even if it seems like a very big job.
I hope this information will give hope to those who, like me, were very disappointed.

This sound like good news! What I do not get is why the Kawai technician saying that the problem relates to the samples. I have a CA98 and have never noticed distorted sound or problems with the
samples - there are indeed a couple of notes that sound a bit louder and brighter, but that is likely just the result of the timbre and tuning of the acoustic SK-EX. The same happens with acoustic pianos and sample-based VSTs.

I also do not remember the NV10 owners complaining about distortion or buzzing through headphones. If there were problems with the samples, those could be even more noticeable through headphones than through the speakers. So, I am not exactly sure what a "sampling" problem means. Maybe Kawai is referring to a some sound processing issue before the sound is converted to analogue and amplified.

I am also not sure if the flash memory bank holding the samples can be updated by the end-user. If such an update ever happens, that would probably be the first time that a digital piano gets a sample update. Such updates are usually reserved for synths and for stage pianos from niche brands like Nord and Dexibell. To get the samples updated on a DP one needs to buy a new model...

BTW: is this info coming from Kawai Germany, whom I believe represent Kawai in Europe? Or from a local distributor in France?

This is an objection that I also expressed, but the Kawai technician is formal and he says he holds this info from Kawai Japan. I should receive a USB stick containing the new program ... Wait and see ...

I hope this is true and it will improve the overall sound. Currently none of the samples are satisfying for me. They sound bland and muddy af. Currently the sound seems to be more muffled than before one or two weeks without changing any settings. Maybe some sort of sound inertia or whatever.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello FSi, welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by FSi
We live in a country with no Kawai dealership.
Passing all the hurdles of inter continental transport and taxes, I have ordered my NV 10 from a neighboring country.

May I ask where you are based (is it really Swakopmund, off the coast of Namibia?), and the processes you went through in order to purchase the NV10, please? Am I correct in thinking that your purchased the instrument from South Africa?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
O
Had my second hands on-experience with the NV10 today. Played it extensively, and compared it with other DP's from Kawai and several acoustic pianos which were also in the shop.

The action is mindblowing. Not just compared to other DP's, but compared to quite a lot of mid-tier acoustic grands as well. This is really an amazing feat of engineering from Kawai.

But I still think the onboard sound from the speakers is underwhelming for a DP this expensive. It just can't compare to how a good acoustic piano generates sound, be it upright or grand. I don't think it's close at all. I actually still prefer the sound and "sonic feel" of the CS10 and CS11, probably because of the sound board. With headphones I handily preferred the NV10.

My dream digital instrument, which I guess will never materialize, is a VPC-1 kind of keyboard with only the NV10 action, midi out and nothing else. But offering such an instrument would jeopardize sales of the NV10, so I guess it won't happen for five years at the very least...

Last edited by oivavoi; 11/27/18 03:05 PM.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by oivavoi
My dream digital instrument, which I guess will never materialize, is a VPC-1 kind of keyboard with only the NV10 action, midi out and nothing else. But offering such an instrument would jeopardize sales of the NV10, so I guess it won't happen for five years at the very least...

Well, Kawai could make an VPC-like NV-10 controller. It would likely be $10k or $11k versus $12k list for the NV-10. Does that work for everyone seeking a piano-controller only model? At that price, how many people would just pay the extra 8% for the built-in sound engine and speakers?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
O
O
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by oivavoi

Well, Kawai could make an VPC-like NV-10 controller. It would likely be $10k or $11k versus $12k list for the NV-10. Does that work for everyone seeking a piano-controller only model? At that price, how many people would just pay the extra 8% for the built-in sound engine and speakers?

I agree, at that price point there wouldn't be any point in not getting the NV-10. Personally, if I get the means in the future, I could be willing to pay up to $6k for a "VPC-10" I think. Hopefully it would also be neater and lighter than the NV-10.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
S
S
A new Yamaha N1 can be found for around $5k in Europe. That's basically a controller with a good hybrid action and minimal sound.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After more than 6 months of testing and experimenting with the NV10, i sell it to another person.

It's a great instrument and it has a wonderful playing experience but i can't dive into the build in sounds. I tried everything to tweak the sound (pianist or sound mode) but it doesn't satisfy me in a sense that i can live with that. I'm just also not interested in building a VST setup, so i can't justify the price to my expectations for this instrument. I need a simple instrument with good speaker setup, with a bunch of build in sounds with distinct and (good sounding) samples that are different enough to fit different types of songs. Both aren't the strength of the Novus for me.

With that in mind i visited my local dealer and tested the NU1X which fits my interests the most. It's simple. It sounds great via Speakers and headphones. The action is good and the loud note issue wasn't appearing, even after smashing the key like an olympics game on the good old C64. Plus it costs half a novus.

But good news: My dealer is close to the european Kawai location in Krefeld, Germany and said that Kawai is planning a new sound chip and samples for the novus instead of using the same like the CA98. I don't know if that's true but he talked about it without asking for knowing future improvements. So it seems there is something on the horizon for NV10 users.

Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
But good news: My dealer is close to the european Kawai location in Krefeld, Germany and said that Kawai is planning a new sound chip and samples for the novus instead of using the same like the CA98. I don't know if that's true but he talked about it without asking for knowing future improvements. So it seems there is something on the horizon for NV10 users.

Well, that is unlikely to be good news for current NV10 users. When hardware is changed, it rarely is good news for current owners as updating hardware is rarely done except for defects - it's not as easy as applying a software patch. An NV10SE or NV11 would only be good news for future buyers.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Hello everyone.
The Kawai technician I've been harassing for several weeks, called me this morning to tell me that Kawai had received enough complaints from around the world on the NV10 but also on ca98 and had found the problem of distortion. This would come from sampling and a new version should be available quite soon, even if it seems like a very big job.
I hope this information will give hope to those who, like me, were very disappointed.

This sound like good news! What I do not get is why the Kawai technician saying that the problem relates to the samples. I have a CA98 and have never noticed distorted sound or problems with the samples - there are indeed a couple of notes that sound a bit louder and brighter, but that is likely just the result of the timbre and tuning of the acoustic SK-EX. The same happens with acoustic pianos and sample-based VSTs.

I also do not remember the NV10 owners complaining about distortion or buzzing through headphones. If there were problems with the samples, those could be even more noticeable through headphones than through the speakers. So, I am not exactly sure what a "sampling" problem means. Maybe Kawai is referring to a some sound processing issue before the sound is converted to analogue and amplified.

I am also not sure if the flash memory bank holding the samples can be updated by the end-user. If such an update ever happens, that would probably be the first time that a digital piano gets a sample update. Such updates are usually reserved for synths and for stage pianos from niche brands like Nord and Dexibell. To get the samples updated on a DP one needs to buy a new model...

BTW: is this info coming from Kawai Germany, whom I believe represent Kawai in Europe? Or from a local distributor in France?

The buzzing is still there with headphones. At this point I have just learned to ignore it and pray that kawai finds the issue and is able to fix it. I suspect that many people dont even realise that they suffer the issue. It took me a long time to notice it (a few months) because it is quite subtle and only on certain notes/combinations but once you hear it, you cannot unhear it unfortunately. It is good news that they might have recognized the issue.

Last edited by abarax; 11/28/18 08:50 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by abarax
The buzzing is still there with headphones. At this point I have just learned to ignore it and pray that kawai finds the issue and is able to fix it. I suspect that many people dont even realise that they suffer the issue. It took me a long time to notice it (a few months) because it is quite subtle and only on certain notes/combinations but once you hear it, you cannot unhear it unfortunately. It is good news that they might have recognized the issue.

Could you give us an example of a particular note combination where the buzzing is strongest for you with headphones? I am going to be going to a dealer soon to test out the C98 and NV10 and want to check if this issue is unbearable for me.

[Linked Image]

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Tyr

Well, that is unlikely to be good news for current NV10 users. When hardware is changed, it rarely is good news for current owners as updating hardware is rarely done except for defects - it's not as easy as applying a software patch. An NV10SE or NV11 would only be good news for future buyers.

If Kawai isn't being completely silly, they better have a solution for current customers.

Page 105 of 302 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission