Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AssociateX, Bett, ando, baudelairepianist, BubbaMc, Brendan, 36251, 22 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784234
11/24/18 07:27 PM
11/24/18 07:27 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni)

Never heard this before, but I enjoyed it. It's pretty piece.

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3

Very nice. I saw a video of this played by Irina Lankova not too long ago. Lovely piece.

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2

Another great Einaudi piece. Well done!

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)

Nice improvisation, although I can't say I listened to all 8 minutes smile I wish I could make up cool stuff and play it.

05. Peterws - Circular Trip

Catchy tune. I liked the Audacity waveform smile

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441

Nice was new to me, well played.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C

Sounded very nice, but a little soft. I guess it was the recording.

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6

I need to listen to all your stuff in IMSLP, it was fantastic laugh I also enjoyed the piece you submitted in the other forum.

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth

I thought you played it well, enjoyed your YouTube video.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend

Posted on your YouTube page as well. I enjoyed your composition and performance, and beautiful tribute for your friend.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2784238
11/24/18 07:42 PM
11/24/18 07:42 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)
Nice improvisation, although I can't say I listened to all 8 minutes smile I wish I could make up cool stuff and play it.

Thanks for listening. The difficulties are grossly overrated, it's just a lifelong habit. Had I had more orthodox musical training in my youth I would probably be much closer to normal. Whether that would have been better or worse doesn't matter much now at seventy-one.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784246
11/24/18 08:02 PM
11/24/18 08:02 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

37. jotur/Cathy Turner - Veterans Day Medley
Good job with your Veterans Day medley! (I won’t offer any feedback more specific than that, in accord with your stated wish not to receive technical feedback).

38. Piano_primo_1 - Prelude Op 28 No. 4 in E minor
In your notes, under “Experience”, you wrote simply “9”. I don’t know if this means that you’ve been playing piano for 9 months, 9 years, or since age 9. And since I don’t know your experience level, it is difficult to know what kind of feedback to provide. So, suffice it to say that your submission was a good effort. I know that you mentioned problems with the left hand. One thing I think you should do is work toward bringing its volume way down to allow the right hand’s melody to take center stage. One other thing I will say: while the score looks easy, to play this piece convincingly requires a lot of finesse—a delicate touch, a superb legato, and a careful crafting of the piece’s very long melodic lines.

39. Richard (zrtf90) - Lento con gran espressione
l’ve heard a couple of your recital submissions previously and have been favorably impressed. With that in mind, and without any intention to offend, I suspect that perhaps you haven’t been working on this piece as long as the previous submissions of yours I’ve enjoyed in the past. And that being my assumption, rather than point to specifics, I’ll be more general here and say the following: At this point you have here a nice, slow, bare-bones version of this famous tragic piece, and in time I’m sure you’ll correct the erroneous notes, as well as flesh out the framework using rubato and other means of expression. But good work so far. I hope you’ll post your final product.

41. Cathryn99 - Moszkowski - Study in F, Op 91 No 4
Pretty darned good, if you ask me—especially given the circumstances you described.

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack
Nice execution of what sounds like a difficult piece.

43. sinophilia - Agitato
Not the catchiest of melodies, I agree. But you played it well!

44. Schinl - Excerpt from Romanze (Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor)
I think you’re pretty hard on yourself with regard to this piece. I think you do a really fine job with it, and I hope you return to it someday to finish it.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784257
11/24/18 08:24 PM
11/24/18 08:24 PM
Jason Lenthe Offline
Jason Lenthe  Offline

I finally had a chance to finish my listening and commenting...

01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni) Nicely done! The arpeggios at the end were perfect too.

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 Very well played. Great job!

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2 I enjoyed this performance very much. While listening, it painted a very clear picture of abstract ideas and feelings in my mind. Great playing here.

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) Lot's of really interesting material in there. I really liked the ending especially.

05. Peterws - Circular Trip Very nice piece. I especially liked the jazz and blues sounding ornamentation.

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 Very well played. I liked the performance a lot.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C I like the tempo...not too fast and not too slow. Good use of dynamics to build and release tension. Nicely done!

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6 Very delightful piece and very well played. Great job!

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth Really great! Very enjoyable.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend Wow! The emotion is this piece is appropriately intense and personal. I imagine that Ron would be really proud of this.

11. sandalholme - Moment Musical No6 Beautiful and stately. Great job!

12. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221 Wow! This is one of those rare instances where the instrument itself is at least as interesting as the piece played on it. While I prefer piano, I really like the sound of harpischord a lot and often practice baroque pieces on my digital piano using the harpsichord setting. I have to imagine that very few people could competently restore a musical instrument much less a harpsichord. That instrument sounds as good as any harpsichord I've ever heard. Truly your musical talents go well beyond being a superb player.

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song") Really quite lovely. It captures the intended feeling of the piece quite well.

15. Monica K. - The Aviators Great stuff! The main theme has a epic feel to it. The playing is smooth and clean and has good use of dynamics. Very entertaining and the dedication to your son is perfect.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 Very nice. Great use of dynamics to make it dramatic.

17. Riddler (Ed) - Elegy It's very impressive to have learned this piece by ear. It's very enjoyable to listen to as well.

18. PianogrlNW - Nocturne in C# Minor That is really quite a beautiful performace! You've done a fantastic job of really bringing this piece to life in vivid colors.

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786 Sounds great. Seems like this would be a fairly tricky piece to learn. Good job!

20. ralph L. - Hallelujah Very nice! I especially like the variation with the backing track.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Jason Lenthe] #2784264
11/24/18 08:37 PM
11/24/18 08:37 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Jason Lenthe

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) Lot's of really interesting material in there. I really liked the ending especially.

Thanks for listening. That pleases me because I have never thought myself much good at beginnings or endings.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784267
11/24/18 08:48 PM
11/24/18 08:48 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Thanks to everybody who have commented on my submission. I started listening to the recital but then house guests (actually, my parents) arrived, and I haven't been able to finish, let alone comment. Looking forward to listening to the rest, but with a professional conference coming up, I most likely won't be able to post specific comments. So far have enjoyed every single performance, with Sam's harpsichord piece being a hit, of course! smile

Last edited by dumka1; 11/24/18 08:49 PM.
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784322
11/25/18 01:51 AM
11/25/18 01:51 AM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Online content
AssociateX  Online Content
A

Long Island, NY
Thank you all for the comments on my Nocturne Op72/1, it was definitely a challenging piece for me, I heard it only a few times and decided I wanted to learn to play it as accurate as I could. Its my first piece I tackled as an adult returning to piano. I never learned any nocturnes as a child, I only got as far as learning 4 Chopin waltzes. I bought the score in late spring of this year and started working on it hard core this fall when I started piano lessons again. I am still annoyed by the flubs in the piece (the best YouTube recording of this piece is by Magdalena Baszewska, IMHO). I agree my piano made the bass notes sound too loud.

I heard the other performances and they were very lovely, I enjoyed listening... no time to comment on specific performances per se but the comments noted already are my thoughts as well. My only observation is that there were 2 versions of the same piece in this recital (Chopins C# minor nocturne, one of which was titled “lento con grande expressione” which could be confusing to those unaware that its the same as #18 (PianoGrlNW). I found both to be contrasting and enjoyable.

Last edited by AssociateX; 11/25/18 01:58 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Completed:
1. Schubert -MM 3 and Impromptu 90/1
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F min - WTC 2)
Working on:
1. Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 #2
2. Beethoven Sonata Op 2 # 1
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784421
11/25/18 09:48 AM
11/25/18 09:48 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Pianist685

06 wouter79 – Courante by Haendel I am quite a Haendel fan and liked your recording of this Courante very much. The tempo is perfect. The attempted echo effect at 0:45 is fine but you realized a bit too late that the repetition of the figure should be softer. Well, that does not matter that much since Haendel only had a harpsichord and was unable to execute such an effect.

Thanks Pianist for your detailed feedback! Yes you're right about the dynamic error there.

Originally Posted by SMA55
06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 Short but sweet. Nice job.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MarieJ
06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 To me, it’s all about the pieces that you play for yourself, just for fun. I enjoyed it!

Good to hear that you liked it!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #2784448
11/25/18 11:35 AM
11/25/18 11:35 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Thanks a lot to all the listeners and commentators on my contribution.
Originally Posted by Peyton
8. Pianist685- [...]And the recording is fantastic too. Am I reading this right that you used a plugin? It sounds like an excellent acoustic recording.[...]
The software ("Kontakt Player") on which the samples of the virtual piano are running cannot record anything, it is only a player, not a recorder. But I found in an old thread here on PW that one can plug in a small freeware programme ("Savihost") into the Kontakt Player that enables recording and it works very well. In fact, I have plugged in 2 freeware programmes, first Asio4all to reduce latency, second Savihost for recording.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Qwerty53] #2784530
11/25/18 02:52 PM
11/25/18 02:52 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song")

In this recital we had your “Autumn” by Tchaikovsky, my “Winter” by Piazzolla, and Einaudi’s “Spring” by Balezin Dmitry. Who will bring us a Summertime, maybe some Gershwin next quarter?!?

I noticed this, too smile. I also learned Mendelssohn's "Spring Song" this year, hoped to record it for the May recital but wasn't quite ready yet. Maybe for the next recital, although it won't be the right season.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784586
11/25/18 04:28 PM
11/25/18 04:28 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
41 Cathryn99

Lovely and lively, if that was unsteady, I'm a monkey's uncle . . .. That piano has a brilliant sound, entirely pleasant. Great work on the left hand! I feel a little sorry for it . . .

42 Mr Super-Hunky

What a dramatic entrance! And it doesn't stop there . . .I reckon we all turned our 'phones down pretty damned quickly ha ha! This must be the piece of the recital! A film score from a circus horror movie? Strange ending, but so effervescent all the way through.
One fault!
You have considered a few deliberate mistakes to give us lesser mortals encouragement . . .

43 Sinophilia

I think you pick some good pieces, it's nowhere near as bad as you make out. Most if not all here will enjoy that piece. It's different, lively, and you handle it well. And you only spent 5 hours on it? That is nothing compared to what I have to spend on most of mine . . . Be a little proud!

44 Schini

The beauty of this piece comes out well. Don't be over hard on yourself; these things take some time to come back, but they will! I'd consider this one of Chopin's nicer works (I'm not a fan) with many interesting bits in it. Well played.

45 Pianovet

Lovely Bach with plenty of bite. you piano has a great, earthy sound; I wish it was me playing it! Well played.

46 Pika Pianist

Love the sound of the typing . . .dammit, that was an ad . . .You were made for that piano. Light yet lovely sound. If you want more bass, you'll be able to tweak the audio input when you record. Sounds great. You too, need to introduce "deliberate mistakes" to prove you're human . . .

47 Claudemir Medeirus

Good steady playing of a pleasant song! Not heard before, sounds rather French; great job.

48 MeganR

Ah! The one with the nice sounding spinet. Sounds a complex tune, full of emotional baggage (the composer's) The best emotional baggage I heard today! You did a fine job with this.

49 Serge88

Sounds good, man. Your teacher will be happy with this great effort. The notes are all there; the expression will come with time!

50 AssociateX

You know your way around this well enough, and it's very pleasant to listen to. Your light and shade is nice. All in all, excellent work Liz. I got a sis called Liz . . . smile

Last few soon! I might play a bit now myself.. . . I got half an hour. 'Bye!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784639
11/25/18 05:53 PM
11/25/18 05:53 PM
K
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline
K

second batch:

15. Monica K. - The Aviators
very pleasant listen. Good thing that sometimes commercials, movies and tv shows let us discover new music smile congrats to you for the performance and to your son for getting his pilot license.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
I liked your vibrato and dynamics, added a little emotion and personal touch to the piece,

18. PianogrlNW - Nocturne in C# Minor
very nice performance, always nice to listen to this nocturne

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786
nicely done

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13
a couple of parts that could be improved, but still sounds very nice

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz
never heard this before, very cute piece and very nicely played

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11)
I should explore more stuff by Heller, I feel like there are some hidden pearls out there. Very good performance.

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good
very funny piece, well done

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
dreamy and relaxing, totally nailed it

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus
good stuff. Always curious to discover new Brasilian music. Good luck with Odeon wink

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784692
11/25/18 08:13 PM
11/25/18 08:13 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

45. PianoVet - Bach Invention #14 in B-flat major
Welcome to the ABF recital! I think you did a really fine job with this Invention. And all the more so if you’ve really only been playing 11 months!

46. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.36, No.3 1st mvmt
Stupendous! And congrats on your new piano—sounds lovely!

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus
Nice job on a cute little piece.

48. MeganR - Prelude 1913
Good work, Megan. And I think some more expression would take this piece to the next level.

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu"
Well done—especially for someone who up until now hasn’t played Chopin.

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1
I think you’re doing pretty well with this piece. In my opinion, the greatest thing you can do to improve it would be by working toward a more delicate touch with it—yes, certainly with your left hand, but also with your right hand.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784864
11/26/18 10:39 AM
11/26/18 10:39 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
I'm testing a new way of commenting the performances this time. Instead of giving short comments to everyone, I decided to select a limited number and try to go more in depth. And rather than commenting only the piece from the last recital I go back into the recital index and listen to previous performances as well. To those of you who don' t get any feedback this time, I plan to be fair and try to get back to you later.

This time I start with

First, a little about your history. I'm generally highly impressed by what you have accomplished. I enjoy very much your expressive style of performance. You really shine in your Chopin performances with a very light and transparent valse (Op.64/2) and great expression in the nocturnes where the technical obstacles do not seem to disturb you. I also liked your Grieg and Debussy. And your performance of Bach BWV847 was splendid.

You tend to play more rubato than I do myself in some of these pieces. This is not meant as criticism, but it shows that you have made chosen your style and stick to it.

Likewise I was impressed by the Schubert impromptu. Voicing was excellent and I think you have an eye for detail that many of us have a lot to learn from. I know that many pianists tend to rush this piece, but I think your tempo was very close to what was Schubert's intention. Your instrument is very well suited for this piece.

I want to challenge you. I would really like to hear you play a piece in the Vienna classical style, for instance a sonata movement of Mozart and Haydn. This is, of course, up to you. Whatever you choose to do I look forward to more performances by you.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784920
11/26/18 01:23 PM
11/26/18 01:23 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

51. Dario Sanchez Martinez - Fantasia K397
Kudos to you for undertaking this piece. It’s not an easy one—but then nothing by Mozart really is. I think what you’ve got here is a nice foundation for the tough work that still lies ahead of you in bringing this piece together to your potential. So keep up the good work!

52. lvojnovic - K545, Sonata in C major, 2. movement
Good job overall! I didn’t much care for the pauses between some of the early sections. Were these deliberate or merely inadvertent hesitations?

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza
What a lovely piece! And you play it very well. Congratulations! May I ask specifically what sheet music you used for learning it? I’d love to learn the piece myself. I really enjoyed your performance!

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1
Such a sweet piece. And wonderfully played, too. What a great ending to our recital. Well done!

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2784986
11/26/18 04:27 PM
11/26/18 04:27 PM
K
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline
K

third batch:

I feel like you follow a very strict timing and the overall feeling could benefit from more rubato and tempo variations.
There are also a couple of missed notes and a couple of "collecting-thought" pauses which I'm sure you'll be able to fix in no time with a bit more practice.
If I can offer a bit of advice that my teacher gave me at the time I learnt this piece (and which I didn't follow at first, but then one day I suddenly did it and I thought "oooh, now I get it"), try not to completely lift your left hand up when playing the chords, but rather kind of move very slowly and push back down when the keys are still a bit pressed. This should add lightness to the touch.
Overall sound is delicate as it should be for this piece and I believe you're on the right track to perfect it.

39. Richard (zrtf90) - Lento con gran espressione
definitely on my list of pieces that I should learn sooner or later, it's always a pleasure to listen and your performance was no exception.

40. thepianoplayer416 - Waltz #2
somehow this piece sounds very familiar but I had no idea that it was Shostakovich's. Was it possibly used for some movie soundtrack?
Thanks for this discovery and I feel you're on the right track to get to the "definitive" version.

41. Cathryn99 - Moszkowski - Study in F, Op 91 No 4
as you said, the tempo evenness could be improved, but I really think you've done most of the work already.
Sounds like a good exercise for scalar passages and trills, thanks for letting me find this out.

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack
always good to get used to play without looking at your hands wink good playing and very interesting track, thanks for posting

43. sinophilia - Agitato
you're being way too hard on yourself, I really liked your performance smile

45. PianoVet - Bach Invention #14 in B-flat major
very good, well done!

46. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.36, No.3 1st mvmt
excellent performance, very nice, delicate sound

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu"
very pleasant listen

sounds nice, well done

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza
very good performance of this evergreen piece

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1
didn't know this one, very pretty melody and very well played

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Kalos Piano] #2785161
11/27/18 04:42 AM
11/27/18 04:42 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pittsburgh,PA
Originally Posted by Kalos Piano

I feel like you follow a very strict timing and the overall feeling could benefit from more rubato and tempo variations.
There are also a couple of missed notes and a couple of "collecting-thought" pauses which I'm sure you'll be able to fix in no time with a bit more practice.
If I can offer a bit of advice that my teacher gave me at the time I learnt this piece (and which I didn't follow at first, but then one day I suddenly did it and I thought "oooh, now I get it"), try not to completely lift your left hand up when playing the chords, but rather kind of move very slowly and push back down when the keys are still a bit pressed. This should add lightness to the touch.
Overall sound is delicate as it should be for this piece and I believe you're on the right track to perfect it.

Very valuable advice ... especially -
"try not to completely lift your left hand up when playing the chords, but rather kind of move very slowly and push back down when the keys are still a bit pressed" thanks.

I'll keep at this piece to see if I can add the subtleties... Thanks!

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55] #2785168
11/27/18 06:13 AM
11/27/18 06:13 AM
Croatia
L
lvojnovic Offline
Silver Subscriber
lvojnovic  Offline
Silver Subscriber
L

Croatia
Originally Posted by SMA55

Good job overall! I didn’t much care for the pauses between some of the early sections. Were these deliberate or merely inadvertent hesitations?

One beat pause is, in my henle edition, between first and second part (page), and the same one beat pause is right before the minor section, but that was longer because of the page turn, sorry.
Or do you mean I have other hesitations?

Thanks to all of you that had comments on my playing! I really appreciate them.
My recital was a small amateur piano competition, and it went well. Mozart I played very good, some other pieces had some faults, but all in all I got the third prize smile

Kawai CN41
Kawai BL51
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2785186
11/27/18 07:49 AM
11/27/18 07:49 AM
Croatia
L
lvojnovic Offline
Silver Subscriber
lvojnovic  Offline
Silver Subscriber
L

Croatia
01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni) Lovely piece, nicely played. I would have played it a little softer, because some tones sound harsh, but I am not familiar with the piece so I might be wrong

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 I enjoyed your performance very much. Thank you!

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2 I love the ever changing rhythm patterns. To me the piece sounds very difficult to play. Great job!

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) Impressive hand independence. There are parts when I am convinced there are two pianists, but playing unrelated pieces. Interesting effect. Although it leads to a very chaotic sound.

05. Peterws - Circular Trip A fun piece. Would have liked to see the theme more developed, but I really enjoyed it.

Kawai CN41
Kawai BL51
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Ganddalf] #2785224
11/27/18 10:59 AM
11/27/18 10:59 AM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I'm testing a new way of commenting the performances this time. Instead of giving short comments to everyone, I decided to select a limited number and try to go more in depth. And rather than commenting only the piece from the last recital I go back into the recital index and listen to previous performances as well. To those of you who don' t get any feedback this time, I plan to be fair and try to get back to you later.

This time I start with

First, a little about your history. I'm generally highly impressed by what you have accomplished. I enjoy very much your expressive style of performance. You really shine in your Chopin performances with a very light and transparent valse (Op.64/2) and great expression in the nocturnes where the technical obstacles do not seem to disturb you. I also liked your Grieg and Debussy. And your performance of Bach BWV847 was splendid.

You tend to play more rubato than I do myself in some of these pieces. This is not meant as criticism, but it shows that you have made chosen your style and stick to it.

Likewise I was impressed by the Schubert impromptu. Voicing was excellent and I think you have an eye for detail that many of us have a lot to learn from. I know that many pianists tend to rush this piece, but I think your tempo was very close to what was Schubert's intention. Your instrument is very well suited for this piece.

I want to challenge you. I would really like to hear you play a piece in the Vienna classical style, for instance a sonata movement of Mozart and Haydn. This is, of course, up to you. Whatever you choose to do I look forward to more performances by you.

Wow! Thank you for your time and effort in providing such a comprehensive and generously kind commentary!

I do like your very original idea for listening and commenting. I, too, have been looking for a different way to make comments on people's performances. While I usually try to comment in some way upon everyone's recitals in order to provide some form of encouragement and/or feedback, I have to admit that sometimes it's just plain difficult to do so. So I think that, starting with next recital, I may try commenting upon only those performances that have left me with some real impression, or those for which I feel I have some useful feedback to give. I'll still listen to them all, mind you; I just won't any longer feel compelled to comment upon allof them.

Regarding your challenge, I may take you up on it at some point in the near future. I must say that I'm not especially enamored of much of the classical period's output (with a few exceptions). With respect to Mozart and Haydn in particular, I have played a few of their sonatas, but I never felt any real affinity for them, and thus I never felt my performances of them shone. And perhaps therein lies the real challenge for me: how to make a piece of music I don't especially love still sound interesting and fresh? We shall see...

At any rate, thank you again, Ganddalf. And I look forward to your future performances, too, as I've always enjoyed both your choices and your talent.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Verituner for Android
by Vlad Ants. 07/15/19 10:24 PM
Bass string recommendation for Steinway A?
by l8style. 07/15/19 05:38 PM
<7k Upright piano, advice please
by JoanneD. 07/15/19 05:16 PM
What to look for in a teacher
by ChiralSpiral. 07/15/19 03:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,025
Posts2,848,835
Members93,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission