Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
79 registered members (36251, 20062007, albydooby, Akaitsuki, Álvaro, amyram, 23 invisible), 1,089 guests, and 520 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? #2783389 11/22/18 09:51 AM
Y
yarinch Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hey PianoWorld!
I'm still on an everlasting struggle with deciding which digital piano to get. I play mostly classical music and will be relying almost exclusively on headphones.
Last week I posted if I should get the CN37 over the CN27, and after everyone's kind help and a lot of researching I decided I'm better off with the CN37, since it has a much friendlier control system, more connections and some nice other features.

Now Black Friday is arriving. The CN37 got a major discount, which I'm really happy with. I'm not interested in the CA48 - it's like CN27 vs CN37 dilemma compared to CA58, so if I'm upgrading it's the Kawai CA58, which also has a nice discount, so now I really can't make up my mind - the Kawai CN37 ($1614) or CA58 ($2330)?

Regarding the action - the CA58 uses wooden keys. Seeing that both have the same key surface (Ivory Touch), does it really have much of an impact?
The plastic may allegedly be more prone to technical difficulties. I'm not sure how true it is, but it's certainly important because I only get 1 year warranty. In addition, the wooden keys are apparently much quieter, which is great considering I'm a headphone user with other people in my house.
Also, the Kawai CA58 has "Bass region counterweights", while the CN37 specifies "Counterweights" - does it make the CN37 superior in that regard?
Another thing is that the CA58 has the pivot points farther back, making it easier to play on the back of the white keys - how major is that difference?

Sound - the CA58 has a better one, but what exactly is the difference? It seems that both use the same sampling and recording with the same polyphony and Acoustic Rendering, so I'm not sure what difference it makes, especially using headphones.

These seem the only differences between the two - mostly the action and sound system. (I used Kawai's comparison chart for my data)
The CA58 seems like a nice upgrade, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $700 - that's a lot of money!
I live in Israel. I have nowhere to try these pianos, so I must rely on the internet on helping me decide.

Thanks everyone for your help and have a great Black Friday smile

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783400 11/22/18 10:23 AM
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Wow! Nice discounts! The CA58 and the CN37 are basically the same instrument. The differences, as you have pointed out, are a slightly superior speaker system on the CA58 and the action. The cabinet of the CA58 is also sturdier - and you may consider it "nicer". These two models will sound exactly the same with headphones as they use the same samples and sound engine.

But the wooden GF-C action on the CA48/58 models is superior to the plastic RH3 on the CN37. Only the GF-II on the CA78/98 might be slightly better. The GF action is arguably one the best piano action simulations on the market. If these differences are worth the $700 or not that is another question. But if you can afford it, I would suggest you take the CA58 because of the action, as it is one of the most important elements of a digital piano.

Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783401 11/22/18 10:30 AM
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The action in the CA58, the Grand Feel Compact, is a "higher end" action.

What he said ^

Last edited by johnstaf; 11/22/18 10:35 AM.
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783458 11/22/18 12:34 PM
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've played the CN27, 37 and 48. I liked the actions on all equally, but the wooden action is quieter. They all feel very nice. If you need the connectivity, the 37 is the way to go. Very good price for that now.

I wasn't keen on the Ca48 sound, the dynamics seemed almost too lively, but maybe that could be adjusted. Maybe not.

If you cannot access a dealer locally, I would buy a Yamaha or a Roland.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783509 11/22/18 03:46 PM
S
Szatanica Offline
S
I'm actually struggling quite similarly to you smile I've excluded CA48 because of it's lack of line outputs (which is super weird). In general I'm pretty surprised how bare this piano is...but getting back to the dilemma...

CA58 has couple more differences that could be important, but that solely depends on you. The amplification is much higher (100W) so the whole thing has more definition even if you don't play it loud. Also there are volume adjustment knobs on LINE-In, LINE-Out which in the situation of connection a PA system (or just outside speakers, or a mixer or whatever really) for example there are much more options to set up the whole thing . It also does not have an AC adapter hanging around (I guess it's build into the cabinet - am I right?), which is a nice feature:)

However if you play classical music then all these things might not present an immediate value, especially when the price difference is so big.

I would love to hear from those of you who actually can say anything about the key action difference between the two. I also wonder is such a difference that it is worth spending additional money on....

Also this is the music place I found in Israel that is mentioned on Kawai webpage, maybe this could help you out in checking out the instruments for yourself:
MAROM MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS LTD.
D'Mall; 1, Jabotinsky St., Ramat-Gan
Tel: +972-3-612-4466
URL: http://www.marom-music.com/

Last edited by Szatanica; 11/22/18 03:48 PM.
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: Szatanica] #2783675 11/23/18 09:02 AM
Y
yarinch Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks everyone for all your help!

After much research and consulting with various people, including the store owner, I decided to get the CN37. The CA58 is definitely nicer but $700 is a lot and I personally feel like it doesn't worth it for my needs.
I posted a comment on the Prices Paid thread. I'll be getting it in about a month. I'm super excited!

Originally Posted by Szatanica

Also this is the music place I found in Israel that is mentioned on Kawai webpage, maybe this could help you out in checking out the instruments for yourself:
MAROM MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS LTD.
D'Mall; 1, Jabotinsky St., Ramat-Gan
Tel: +972-3-612-4466
URL: http://www.marom-music.com/

Thanks. I did see them on the Kawai website. They are the official importers, but I ended up buying from somewhere else (a parallel importer), since Marom were 50% more expensive! I'm not sure why.
Both didn't have the CN37 on display so I couldn't check it out. There are a handful of places in Israel that sell instruments but for some reason, these are the only two places that sell Kawai digital pianos. The only large instruments chain is Israel sells only Yamaha digital pianos which is really weird, but since they are the only large chain they are really overpriced.
There is one place that is relatively cheap and sells instruments from all major brands (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Casio, Korg and some others).

Last edited by yarinch; 11/23/18 09:05 AM.
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783771 11/23/18 02:52 PM
S
Szatanica Offline
S
I have just tested the CN37. I really don't mean to spoil the choice (especially when it's such a individual thing), but the SK Grand sound is busted.:(( It has horrible sampling which in more intense playing cause awful and so present resonance issues, which are plain as day on both, speakers and headphones.Almost like there was additional noise introduced into the sustain notes. I would never be able to play that, I would go mad after 10 minutes. But that's me, I have a very sensitive ear. I also tested the CA48 and it has the same issue, so it's definitely the sampling, not the hardware.

However Yamaha is not perfect either, it also momentarily sounds overdigitised, like it has overtones which bring in chaos, but it is so much less apparent and less irritating. I think with really good quality headphones it can be very bareble.

On a good side, I loved the key action and I see not much of a difference (actually no difference, do me a blind test smile between 37 and 48 (but then again, I'm not a professional player), so paying additional $700 for ca58 has no point for me (maybe except those line in and out knobs). I do love the color and the tone of the grand as opposed to compressed Yamaha CLP645 and super flat Roland HP603, it's such a pity, that the sampling is crap. And apparently the servicing here in Poland (at least that's what the sales people say).

I'm really curious what will your feelings be after trying it so let me know!

Last edited by Szatanica; 11/23/18 02:54 PM.
Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783944 11/24/18 03:59 AM
G
GoldmanT Offline
G
I switched from CN35 to CA67 and the latter action is much quieter - the CN35 action has lots of thumpy bounce noise when the hammers return to position, which may bother some people, the CA67 has nothing like that, feels like everything is padded with felt.

I've never heard these resonance noises you talk about, nor have most people, at least not to the point of it being unplayable. I used to use long reverbs on the CN35 and the key fallback noise used to get mangled in the reverb, like some odd digital artefact, maybe that's what you were hearing? I ended up lowering the volume of the fall back noise in the Virtual Technician.

Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: GoldmanT] #2783950 11/24/18 04:20 AM
S
Szatanica Offline
S
Originally Posted by GoldmanT

I've never heard these resonance noises you talk about, nor have most people, at least not to the point of it being unplayable. I used to use long reverbs on the CN35 and the key fallback noise used to get mangled in the reverb, like some odd digital artefact, maybe that's what you were hearing? I ended up lowering the volume of the fall back noise in the Virtual Technician.

Could be. It’s a good descritpion - a digital artifact. It might not be resonance, it could be something else that causes this, I just ‚hear’ it as en excessive resonating sound - something like when you put a microphone in front of a speaker and the sounds just add up on each other causing distortion. But yes, I wll definitely play with virtual technician to check on that. I’d love to get a Kawai because the color of the sound is so much lighter and fuller to me then Yamahas, but then I really don’t want to struggle with a piano that requires tweeking of each tiny little element in order to NOT sound off...But ok, no more quessing. I’ll check and get back to you.

Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783955 11/24/18 04:46 AM
G
GoldmanT Offline
G
I'll try to recreate it on CA67 and record it if I can.

Re: Should I Get The Kawai CN37 Or Upgrade To CA58? [Re: yarinch] #2783967 11/24/18 06:39 AM
M
Markuska Offline
M
I think I am at quite the same situation atm, thinking about 37 or 48/58/67 something like that. The cool thing would be that I could spent the left money on lessons. I am glad that I have a store near having all of them on display so I can comparw🤔

Moderated by  Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
OT- A Christmas quodlibet called Yule Flip
by pianoloverus - 12/13/19 03:00 PM
Kawai CS8. Still a good purchase in 2019?
by cebeema - 12/13/19 02:31 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,643
Posts2,901,410
Members95,232
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission