2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 6 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
5. Peterws- What a fun, delightful piece. Really wonderful.

31. Moo.- Very nicely played. You really have great command of this piece.

32. SwissMs- Well done! It sounds like you were under some stress as playing but that does not come across in your playing at all.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack
Wow, very dramatic, very exciting. I don't know anything about the context but for me, it conjures up a vision from a horror movie I saw 50 years ago that ends with a merry-go-round in the midst of a gigantic fire. By the way, I saw your note about playing with a big separation between your hands and I immediately thought of this superhuman feat:

Helene Grimaud

44. Schinl - Excerpt from Romanze (Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor)
Quite a pretty piece of music. You are well on your way to mastering it. BTW, I always claim my rubato to be artistic license. (Works for me!) Thanks for sharing.

45. PianoVet - Bach Invention #14 in B-flat major
Well done. Tough to keep two lines going at full tempo like that.

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus
Claudemir, I don't think I've heard that before but it is a very appealing piece. Well done.

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu"
Serge, lovely piece, played with feeling and expression. Pianoteq did you well, you get a beautiful sound

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Another batch, working my way backwards in time toward those who posted their music early....

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786 Beautiful Bach, well played! Thanks for sharing this. I wish trills were as easy as you made them sound!

20. ralph L. - Hallelujah A lovely piece, and a very inventive use of your instruments and skills to create something special.

21. Handyman - The Way We Were Another creative adaptation! Nicely arranged and played.

22. Balezin Dmitry - Primavera I had never heard of Einaudi before I joined PW. This is a sparkling performance of a sparkling piece! (Hey, you played Spring, and I played Winter!)

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13 I loved hearing how well you play Bach! You returned to piano after even more years’ gap than me; isn’t it wonderful to play again, and learn again?

24. snejana - Bagatelle A beautiful Diabelli piece I was not familiar with; well played!

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz Very expressive playing of a very evocative piece.

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues What a neat composition! Loved the blues feel amid the minuet structure. I’m sure there was a lot more going on there structurally and harmonically than I am able to recognize; I just really enjoyed how you made it sound.

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11) Lovely piece; Heller is new to me. Thanks for sharing your beautiful playing.

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) I am very impressed with your playing!

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good Cheerful tune, played with just the right amount of attitude!

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Lovely. I really enjoyed listening to your sensitive playing.

31. Moo smile - Venetian Gondola Song Beautifully played!

32. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1 It’s Beethoven: a bit of stress seems fitting! Great focus under pressure. Good luck on your exam: you’ve got this!

33. Keselo - The Sick Doll & The Doll's Funeral I applaud your interpretive daring with your choice of tempo! Though I am applauding very quietly so I don’t disturb a recuperating doll or grieving/sleeping child. You played with great sensitivity.

34. Tyrone Slothrop - The Sick Doll, Op. 39 No. 7 Well played! Your hard work pays off. (Have a banana!)

35. Qwerty53 - Invierno (Winter, from Piazzolla's 4 Seasons of Buenos Aires). What else can I say except that I am glad to be among this company!

36. Ganddalf - Cadiz from Suite Espanola You played this wonderfully well, revealing the clever rhythms and harmonies that make this music so engaging. What is it about this music from the South that draws us northerners to play it?!

37. jotur/Cathy Turner - Veterans Day Medley You did this by ear? Well done! Nice transitions between pieces. A great set. (I never knew the Marines’ Hymn was by Offenbach! Wonder what his lyrics were….)

38. Piano_primo_1 - Prelude Op 28 No. 4 in E minor This is such a hard piece to play well, to get that beautiful “heartbeat” rhythm. You are well on your way! Thank you for sharing it.

39. Richard (zrtf90) - Lento con gran espressione Simply beautiful playing of a gorgeous piece. I think I will put it on repeat for the next hour…

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Another excellent recital - here are some brief comments.

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack (to do)

Sam

Thanks so much Sam. I've received lots of positive feedback over the years, but never left anyone speechless before! I'll interpret this as a new milestone in my piano journey. thumb yippie

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
54 Pathbreaker : This was a soft and delicate piece that just flowed effortlessly from your fingers. Very enjoyable to listen to and very well played.

49 Serge88 : You did a great job with this piece Serge. Your new teacher should be very impressed with your performance. Chopin has many beautiful compositions and I would love to hear you perform more of them in future recitals. Your even and balanced playing style is a perfect match for them. Nice job.

46 PikaPianist : Wow, what a polished performance this was. Everything sounded great, especially your new piano. Your clearly one of the more 'accomplished' beginners here and serve as an inspiration to the rest of us as to what we may be capable of with lots of practice and hard work. Excellent job!

43 Sinophilia : This sounded great to me and to 'skip it' would have been our loss! You get out of something what you put into it and your 5 hours of practice certainly pays off here. The rapid tempo can be challenging but I think you nailed it as it sounded smooth and fluid. Nice work.

38 Piano primo 1 Well, I'm probably not the best person to comment on the subtle nuances of a piece but could definitely hear the effort you put into this performance by controlling your pedaling as well as the dynamics of it. Soft, calming and certainly enjoyable to listen to. Nice job with this difficult piece.

32 SwissMSDoris : This sounded great Missy! Not my type of music to perform, (too difficult), but certainly enjoyable and relaxing to listen to and you did a wonderful job with this.. Hope all goes well with your performance of this piece in your upcoming exam. Wishing you all the best with it.

16 fishandchips : Crap man, get your arse back on the bench and start playing again! This was a wonderful performance that I enjoyed very much. Another one of my recital favorites. You have WAY too much talent to just casually play here and there. I mean it! Harness your potential and make the best out of the natural talent you posses. I would love to hear what you are capable of.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Sorry for the late response, I have too many other projects running right now and people waiting for me to pick up some more...

Originally Posted by hyena

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441
Great to hear handel! I love Handel piano, very underplayed too.

Thanks and glad you like it

Originally Posted by schinl

Not usually a fan of baroque, but I know how useful it is for progress. I think your teacher would be happy to hear you're practicing this for fun. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks !

Originally Posted by Monica
This was short but sweet! I loved the lilting feel you give the piece.

Monica thanks for listening and positive feedback!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz

A lovely little piece very nicely played - thoroughly delightful!

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11)

Unexpectedly enjoyable work, and very well played - like the sound of your DP!

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues A thoroughly enjoyable piece - catchy, bluesy, interesting. Thank you!

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11) That piece is a little gem, and it is a wonder it hasn’t been submitted before. Nicely played!

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) Loved the powerful dynamics in your performance, and the emotions they evoked. Thoroughly enjoyable.

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good A well-named piece - made me feel that way too. A confident, bright performance - well done.

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 A wonderful rendition ... of a wonderful work by a wonderful composer. Piano listening doesn’t get much better than this!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

31. Moo smile - Venetian Gondola Song Wow - a performance like that when you ‘quickly recorded an old piece’? Brilliant!

32. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1 Congratulations on several counts - a live recording, made under stress, in one take. Excellent - you’ll nail that exam!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
37. jotur/Cathy Turner - Veterans Day Medley

You played this 7 song medley from memory? Amazing! Over 5 minutes of continuous music, and very well played too! In the last Recital I had a hard time memorizing a 2 song medley...

Every 4th of July a local town brass band in our region plays the Armed Forces songs medley as part of their concert with the same recognition of prior and present service members who stand when "their song" is played - always a moving experience!

Thanks for choosing this medley and for your efforts to memorize and play it - both for us here and for the wonderful folks in the retirement/nursing homes where you so graciously volunteer to entertain.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

41. Cathryn99 - Moszkowski - Study in F, Op 91 No 4: This is a composer I wasn’t familiar with, but this piece sounds almost scarier than Bach to me. shocked Your playing sounded very smooth and confident despite the fast tempo.

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack: I think this piece may be the most technically challenging one you’ve recorded to date. It’s the perfect piece for both your Mighty Mason (I absolutely LOVE those deep bass notes heart ) and your signature bold playing style. You bring such a great energy to this piece. I loved it! thumb

43. sinophilia - Agitato: Oh, I think you’ve being overly hard on yourself! You do a good job of keeping all those right-hand chords soft and gentle, in spite of the fast tempo. I really liked your control over the dynamics and soft ritard. at about the 0:45 mark.

44. Schinl - Excerpt from Romanze (Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor): I’m a huge believer in rubato, so I forgive you for using it. laugh I think you bring an admirable delicacy to this beautiful piece. I’m also a big believer in tackling aspiration pieces, so I’d encourage you to keep on with it.

45. PianoVet - Bach Invention #14 in B-flat major: You play this with a nice, carefree energy, which is exactly what a Bach invention needs. I was particularly impressed by the section where both hands were playing in parallel. Nicely done!

46. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.36, No.3 1st mvmt: You play this so smoothly and effortlessly despite the challenging runs and ornamentations. smile Congratulations on your new piano... the Estonia was in my top 3 when I was piano shopping, and yours sounds wonderful.

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus: One of the things I like best about these recitals is being introduced to composers I wasn’t familiar with. You bring a nice, gentle swing to this catchy melody. Well-played!

48. MeganR - Prelude 1913: This is such a pretty little prelude. Great job on all the delicate high chords in the middle!

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu": I think one of the benefits of having a teacher is that they might stretch you to attempt pieces you wouldn’t on your own, and it’s a bonus when you end up liking it! You do a great job of emphasizing the melody over the left-hand chords, which is what I always find most challenging in a waltz.

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1: Well, the little I could glimpse of the sheet music was enough to scare me! I thought you did a very nice job on what looks like a very challenging piece.

51. Dario Sanchez Martinez - Fantasia K397: This is a great pedagogical piece–it has it all: fast runs, bombastic chords, slow, quiet passages full of emotion. I thought you played it wonderfully. I was particularly impressed by your smooth runs at about the 3:05 mark.

52. lvojnovic - K545, Sonata in C major, 2. movement: These fast pieces with nonstop action truly are the hardest to play publicly, because they’re so unforgiving of the slightest lapse. I thought you did a great job on this well-known piece, and I didn’t notice any huge unevenness in rhythm.

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza: This is a lovely piece, and you play it beautifully. I was particularly impressed at how you were able to make those huge leaps down to the lower bass without disrupting the rhythm/pace.

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1: You give this a pleasing, gentle lilt. It’s a complex melody that has some darker chord transitions halfway through, and you do a good job of conveying the change in emotion.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the comments so far. I've commented on some of the YouTube performances. I plan to listen to all of the pieces with streaming player over the holiday break here and will probably just post all my comments at one time.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to those of you responded to the veterans medley. And to those who mentioned the seniors for whom I play smile At the minute I only play for one group - I gave up a long-time venue when one of the (new every 3 to 4 months) activities directors decided she didn't like me putting a tent card on the piano in the assisted living area reminding them I was coming the next day (since the staff certainly didn't care enough to help them remember) and I hadn't realized there was (yet another) new activities director and hadn't cleared it with her - never mind that I'd been playing there for 7 years at the time, so she "fired" me from that side of the house. But, at about the same time, the longer-term (3 years or so) director of the memory care unit also left, one who had really appreciated folks who came to visit "my guys" and therefore her staff appreciated us, too, and the new person talked a good ball game but that was it, so I finally got so discouraged I couldn't deal with it any more frown So the one place I'm going has a - get this - front office/receptionist staff that actually cares and has me on the calendar, so even when the activities director changes, as it did again recently, they know I'm coming and have folks there, and some of the staff sticks around, and we have a blast. Whew!

So after the first of the year I'm going to try again to build up my schedule - there's some new places that have opened, including an adult day care, which is where I started - and see if I can figure out how to get around the staff-turn-over and staff-apathy issues, and I should start coming here more often again so I at least have you guys to be "my guys" where I get encouragement!

/end of rant laugh

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
21. Handyman - The Way We Were Great job with this wonderful song!

22. Balezin Dmitry - Primavera You did very well with expression in this piece - totally agree that getting the sound you want is as difficult as playing the "right notes".

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13 One of my favorite inventions, well played!

24. snejana - Bagatelle A lively piece, really enjoyed.

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz I loved how you played this waltz. I'm going to look into that collection, might be fun to learn some of these.

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues Wow, really enjoyed your playing and impressed at the creativity of the composition.

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11)Heller was new to me (as far as I remember) This is a really enjoyable piece, even for an etude, you played it well.

[b]28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780)
Oh, just gorgeous!

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
What the world needs now is a few more people like Cathy!

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
smile Thank you -

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Originally Posted by jotur
Thanks to those of you responded to the veterans medley. And to those who mentioned the seniors for whom I play smile At the minute I only play for one group - I gave up a long-time venue when one of the (new every 3 to 4 months) activities directors decided she didn't like me putting a tent card on the piano in the assisted living area reminding them I was coming the next day (since the staff certainly didn't care enough to help them remember) and I hadn't realized there was (yet another) new activities director and hadn't cleared it with her - never mind that I'd been playing there for 7 years at the time, so she "fired" me from that side of the house. But, at about the same time, the longer-term (3 years or so) director of the memory care unit also left, one who had really appreciated folks who came to visit "my guys" and therefore her staff appreciated us, too, and the new person talked a good ball game but that was it, so I finally got so discouraged I couldn't deal with it any more frown So the one place I'm going has a - get this - front office/receptionist staff that actually cares and has me on the calendar, so even when the activities director changes, as it did again recently, they know I'm coming and have folks there, and some of the staff sticks around, and we have a blast. Whew!

So after the first of the year I'm going to try again to build up my schedule - there's some new places that have opened, including an adult day care, which is where I started - and see if I can figure out how to get around the staff-turn-over and staff-apathy issues, and I should start coming here more often again so I at least have you guys to be "my guys" where I get encouragement!

/end of rant laugh

My sister worked in a care home for years; these places often change hands, usually passing into the clutches of the Money People who often are not familiar with, nor do they care, about the desires or requirements of the residents in Britain. Regular trips out get cancelled; main meal becomes little more than a pork pie, choices diminished, skilled staff replaced with cheaper foreign imports.

She had to leave, it broke her heart; the work became too intense and age was against her.

Sounds like the times, they are a-changin . . . Hope you get some new appointments soon.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni) Very expressive playing. Nice to hear this piece that is new to me!

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 Beautiful performance! Very moving with the images of many generations of family.

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2 Your love for this music shines through. Very peaceful feeling!

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) At the last minute, the many jangly thoughts resolve to a single grand ending!

05. Peterws - Circular Trip Very creative, very interesting to hear!

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 Handel on a Grotrian: lovely sound!

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C Nice job on one of my favorite pieces! Love the way you brought out the LH voices.

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6 Interesting piece by a composer new to me, beautifully played on a great-sounding piano!

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth Very musical playing; amazing for a so-called “beginner”!

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend A beautiful tribute. It reminded me a bit of Michael Nyman, whose work I also like a lot.

11. sandalholme - Moment Musical No6 Elegant and beautiful. Fleetingly familiar, or maybe not.

12. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13 No “ogre” at this keyboard! It’s coming right along, with moments of real beauty.

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221 325 years old! Very interesting rhythms and harmonies, and played beautifully. No, I wasn’t counting, just listening intently!

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song") Beautiful and not too sad, just wistful as I look out my windown: tomorrow the rains come and drive the red leaves off the trees.

In this recital we had your “Autumn” by Tchaikovsky, my “Winter” by Piazzolla, and Einaudi’s “Spring” by Balezin Dmitry. Who will bring us a Summertime, maybe some Gershwin next quarter?!?

15. Monica K. - The Aviators I really enjoyed your performance of this piece and the story behind it: both the British Airways video and your personal dedication.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 I agree with Mr Super Hunky that you should get back to the piano! This was beautifully played. It is one of my favorite pieces and you brought out so much that I love about it.

17. Riddler (Ed) - Elegy Very touching piece. What an ear you have!

18. PianogrlNW - Nocturne in C# Minor All I can say is: sublime.

Now I have listened to all 54 pieces in this recital and offered my brief comments to a wonderful group of performers!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Qwerty53

[b]04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)
At the last minute, the many jangly thoughts resolve to a single grand ending!

Thanks for listening. I like jangly thoughts, woolly thinking and grasshopper minds, and have trouble with endings and beginnings.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission