2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
72 members (claburo, cfhosford, albydooby, Blague, Chewbacca, Charles Cohen, AjinoRegret, 15 invisible), 495 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
#2781988 11/17/18 06:54 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Of course, many great pianists, past and present, played a lot of Liszt's music. But I began thinking about pianists who played no or very little Liszt and came up with some. Most of these are just based on what I think they played. I didn't bother to check many of them on YouTube or other sources.

Can you add some to the Liszt? Any you think I should remove?

Rudolph Serkin, Peter Serkin, Schiff, Angela Hewitt, Glenn Gould(except for Beethoven Symphony transcriptions), Alexandre Tharaud, Rafal Blechacz, Murray Perahia, Edwin Fischer, Myra Hess, Artur Schnabe, lMitsuko Uchida. Radu Lupu, Friedrich Gulda.

Re: Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
pianoloverus #2781993 11/17/18 07:08 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Of course, many great pianists, past and present, played a lot of Liszt's music. But I began thinking about pianists who played no or very little Liszt and came up with some. Most of these are just based on what I think they played. I didn't bother to check many of them on YouTube or other sources.

Can you add some to the Liszt? Any you think I should remove?

Rudolph Serkin, Peter Serkin, Schiff, Angela Hewitt, Glenn Gould(except for Beethoven Symphony transcriptions), Alexandre Tharaud, Rafal Blechacz, Murray Perahia, Edwin Fischer, Myra Hess, Artur Schnabe, lMitsuko Uchida. Radu Lupu, Friedrich Gulda.

So what is your beef with Liszt? I sense some passive-aggressive thing going on. wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2781999 11/17/18 07:18 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

So what is your beef with Liszt? I sense some passive-aggressive thing going on. wink
Absolutely no beef with Liszt. There was a brief period when Perahia, perhaps under the influence/encouragement of Horowitz, started playing some Liszt and Rachmaninov but I think he plays little/none at this point and for quite a while.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/17/18 07:23 PM.
pianoloverus #2782054 11/17/18 11:47 PM
B
B
Perahia played some Liszt in his earlier years, including the B minor sonata (I read a review of his playing it at the Royal Albert Festival Hall a long time ago). Here is a live recording of the B minor sonata from 1983 (I’m not sure if he studied this piece with Horowitz but he could have since he saw a lot of him before Horowitz’s death in 1989):

https://youtu.be/W8hFgDtkY7I

pianoloverus #2782058 11/18/18 12:03 AM
I'll take the opportunity to mention a surprising one who did: Brendel.

The one time I went to hear him, I was shocked to see a Liszt Rhapsody on the program. (#11)

Any you think I should remove?

One that maybe should be removed is Schnabel.
Obviously he's totally not identified with any repertoire like that, and maybe didn't play any for the main 200 years of his career. grin
But, I saw it mentioned -- I think in Schonberg's book (The Great Pianists) -- that surprisingly he did play Liszt in the early part of his career.

pianoloverus #2782113 11/18/18 06:28 AM
B
B
Angela Hewitt recently recorded a Liszt album which included the B minor Sonata.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Mark_C #2782180 11/18/18 11:32 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I'll take the opportunity to mention a surprising one who did: Brendel. The one time I went to hear him, I was shocked to see a Liszt Rhapsody on the program. (#11)
Liszt is a very major part of Brendel's repertoire along with Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert although he may have played less Liszt in the last decade of his career.

pianoloverus #2782233 11/18/18 01:53 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Brendel also played a lot of other virtuosic stuff at one stage too. He even recorded Islamey in the '50s.

Last edited by johnstaf; 11/18/18 01:54 PM.
pianoloverus #2782463 11/19/18 07:19 AM
H
H
I've heard Richard Goode in recital several times. He has included Chopin in some programs, but never Liszt.

pianoloverus #2782475 11/19/18 08:29 AM
D
D
You can remove Uchida from that Liszt list. I attended this concert where she played the Hungarian Fantasy.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...al-festival-hall-schumann-quiet-elegance

Last edited by DazedAndConfused; 11/19/18 08:29 AM.
DazedAndConfused #2782477 11/19/18 08:43 AM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
You can remove Uchida from that Liszt list. I attended this concert where she played the Hungarian Fantasy.

Interesting. I love her old Chopin recordings.

DazedAndConfused #2782513 11/19/18 10:57 AM
OP Online Content

I can only remove Uchida if she plays more than a very occasional Liszt piece. Based on her NYC recitals for the last 15 years, YouTube recordings, and discography it appears she plays very little Liszt. I was careful in my post to allow for an occasional Liszt performance. Otherwise almost no one could be on the list.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/19/18 11:01 AM.
Hank M #2782515 11/19/18 11:05 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Hank M
I've heard Richard Goode in recital several times. He has included Chopin in some programs, but never Liszt.
I've heard him also and he certainly seems the type, based on his usual repertoire, who would avoid Liszt.

pianoloverus #2782522 11/19/18 11:21 AM
D
D
I've heard him also and he certainly seems the type, based on his usual repertoire, who would avoid Liszt.

Avoid? That is a loaded word. Are you sure there is no agenda?

It is a strange thread, hmm ... great pianists who play very little Shostakovich include Uchida. So what?

PS Blechacz has recorded Liszt, I am sure I have a CD but cannot check it now.

DazedAndConfused #2782551 11/19/18 12:54 PM
OP Online Content
Avoid? That is a loaded word. Are you sure there is no agenda?
It is a strange thread, hmm ... great pianists who play very little Shostakovich include Uchida. So what?
The thread may seem strange to you but not at all to me. Have you never thought about the repertoire of famous pianists?

Since virtually no one plays much Shostakovich your question makes little sense. I could have and have thought of starting a thread about pianists who play little Chopin, or Bach, or French composers, or mostly Austrian composers(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert). All of those choices would be significant IMO. As I said in my OP a lot of pianists play quite a bit of Liszt, so omitting him from one's repertoire is significant.

I am positive there is no agenda but even if there was one, so what? Your thinking about the word "avoid" is trying to read far too much into a word. Having heard Goode in recital and masterclasses his personality seems like someone who would not be interested in the most brilliant parts of the repertoire. My guess is he plays very little Rachmaninov or Prokofiev also.

pianoloverus #2782557 11/19/18 01:10 PM
OP Online Content
I checked Blechacz's discography and the only Liszt he has recorded are the 3 Concert Etudes. As I've said a few times this thread is about pianists who play very little Liszt. It's not about those who play absolutely no Liszt since almost no famous pianist falls in that category. Since a poster mentioned that Hewitt recorded an entire CD of Liszt, she should be correctly removed from my list in the first post.

pianoloverus #2782584 11/19/18 02:46 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Minor quibbles aside, I think that this thread is an interesting one. Given that Liszt's output was considerable and represents the height of a certain type/style of Romantic literature, it is somewhat revealing to consider which pianists essentially eschew performing much Liszt.

The other side of this coin is that it indirectly raises the question of certain pianists who specialize in the repertoire of specific composers - not to the exclusion of other composers - but who are nonetheless known for their specialization. I think of Schiff - Bach; Schnabel - Beethoven; (early) Ashkenazy - Chopin; Cortot - Chopin, etc. I am sure there are many others that could be added to this list, although it's not suggested with the intent to hijack pl's thread.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
pianoloverus #2782588 11/19/18 02:58 PM
M
M
This thread reminds me of my own piano teacher. She admitted to me that she rarely plays Liszt because Liszt is "just not her thing". She has DMA degree from a top conservatory so it's not that she is not capable of playing it. She told me she only plays pieces like Liebestraum, Sonetto 104 del petrarca, and a few more. However, she has taught many Liszt pieces to her college students over the years. Teaching these pieces really reinforce her thoughts about Liszt music so she never programs in her recitals. A few pieces that she could not stand include Dante Sonata and most of Hungarian Rhapsodies.

On the other hand, she has performed all major Schumann works many times, and that is even harder for me to understand why.

I guess everyone is different.

pianoloverus #2782599 11/19/18 03:47 PM
D
D

I am positive there is no agenda but even if there was one, so what? Your thinking about the word "avoid" is trying to read far too much into a word. Having heard Goode in recital and masterclasses his personality seems like someone who would not be interested in the most brilliant parts of the repertoire. My guess is he plays very little Rachmaninov or Prokofiev also.

Hardly. English is my first language, 'avoid' is a very common word that I have heard and read thousands of times to know that it is only ever used in conjunction with objects, people, concepts where there is a negative connotation. We don't ever avoid things / people / experiences where our feelings are positive or neutral.

Since virtually no one plays much Shostakovich your question makes little sense. I could have and have thought of starting a thread about pianists who play little Chopin, or Bach, or French composers, or mostly Austrian composers(Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert). All of those choices would be significant IMO. As I said in my OP a lot of pianists play quite a bit of Liszt, so omitting him from one's repertoire is significant.

What is the significance in your opinion? Is that not the crux of the matter? Clearly you have something in mind. So start, get the ball rolling.

Last edited by DazedAndConfused; 11/19/18 03:48 PM.
pianoloverus #2782610 11/19/18 04:33 PM
I don't find it strange either.
Sure, we could debate what we mean by "avoid," and if 'having a little Liszt' grin disqualifies a pianist from this, but it's still interesting and I think not very hard to say who we think belongs on this.

Other possible thread that this suggests to me -- not directly related, so don't ask me why.... ha
And probably far more strange:

"Pieces we'd like to play if we could, but don't because it would be too much work or we just know we couldn't really."

Well actually I know why this thread makes me think of it: I avoid Liszt because I know I'd suck. grin

But my answer to this other question would be Clementi's Sonata in F# minor.
I'd love to play it, but I'd never be able to do those 3rd's and 6th's in the last movement the way they need to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering advice. Beethoven op 26
by albydooby - 07/15/20 08:09 AM
Peter Martin plays Stevie Wonder
by Simon_b - 07/15/20 07:34 AM
Scarlatti Themed Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:08 AM
Scarlatti Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:07 AM
30 days until Recital #59!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,269
Posts2,980,873
Members97,771
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission