2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
H
H
47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus
Nicely played! I didn't know it yet.

48. MeganR - Prelude 1913
Nice Ravel smile It has a nice dreamy quality. I think the difficult part with this piece is to play it very light, because it's pp. But I think you did a great job!

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu"
Very clear melody! Very subtle dynamics, I like it!

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1
Great job in the dynamics, the tension builds up very nicely.

52. lvojnovic - K545, Sonata in C major, 2. movement
One of my favorite Mozart pieces! Nice contrast between the major and minor section. Don't be too scared to use the pedal a little with this piece. But very nicely played!

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza
Very nice! I think you had some great control over the sounds! Great use of all dynamics, great contrast between the A/B sections. Watch out for your left hand though, sometimes it gets rather heavy, distacting from the melody.

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1

Great! Definitely among my favorites too. I didn't know this piece yet, so it was a great introduction. Great atmosphere, worthy for a CD recording!

15. Monica K. - The Aviators

Lovely tune played with your usual elegant style and accomplished touch - great concept - happy for your family, especially your son.

17. Riddler (Ed) - Elegy

Uniquely compelling work played with your masterful touch (as always) - only wish it were longer - excellent selection and execution Ed!

18. PianogrlNW - Nocturne in C# Minor

Nicely done - a really good listen...enjoyed this a lot.

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
I particularly like and appreciate the fact that the participants in the ABF recitals are skilled and talented amateur pianists who really can play the piano and put much work and effort in their recordings, not pretenders like in some other forums. You are a great community.

05 Peterws – Circular Tip What a pleasant, merry little piece. That was really fun to listen to, it put me in a good mood. Unlike a Siciliano, though. The latter should be bitter-sweet, slower, and your composition does not really have the Siciliano rhythm as far as I can hear. I would call your piece a counterpart or complement to a Siciliano.

12 Jason Lenthe – Chopin Prelude F# major A very beautiful piece, fantastically played. There seems to be a small issue with two or three keys of your piano. The a#, f# and c# in the accompaniment seem to strike twice when you touch them softly. I have experienced that issue on some instruments for sale at my local piano dealer’s and he said that could easily be regulated.

21 Handyman – The way we were (Hamlisch) I like Hamlisch very much. Your rendition is very appropriate and well played with good dynamics. If we had the chance to do it all again, I think we would and we could, but I fear the outcome would be the same because the circumstances would not be any different.

24 snejana – Diabelli Bagatelle This is a very nice little piece of music. Good job. I only wish you could release the pedal more often when harmonies change.

27 Bsharp(C)yclist (Dan) – Heller Etude 46/11 Heller’s etudes are much more than just that, they are melodic pieces of music, full of beauty. So is this one. It is perfect for this autumn season when the leaves are falling.

38 Piano_primo_1 – Prelude E minor (Chopin) Such a sad piece. Chopin requested this to be played at his own funeral. I enjoyed listening to your recording. 30 takes – my goodness! You really put much work in it, and you are too self-depreciating in your comment, you did a good job on this very difficult piece. Yes, the sheet music looks simple, but there are so many subtle things in it that are hard to bring out. The rhythm of the bridging figures is quite difficult. As Monika said, a piece by Chopin that can be called “easy” does not exist.

39 Richard (zrtf90) – Chopin Nocturne C# minor I have listened to your fantastic, captivating rendition several times. You are playing this like a professional! Simply wonderful. And you have put so much work in comparing the various versions and putting together your own. I do not want to criticize anything, only because I am playing this piece myself from an IMSLP score that seems to be different from yours, I would like to raise the following issues, more as a question than a criticism.
I did not have a look at the study thread, maybe the issues have been addressed there, but I wonder if one should strike the c# at 0:35 and 0:37 twice. I have a score where the note should be held. The fourth left hand note in bar 28 should be g#, not a. The first left hand notes in bar 40 at 2:48, bar 42 at 2:50 and bar 44 at 2:53 should be d# and not d, according to my score. Then you are playing the whole piece piano without any considerable changes in dynamics. My score says “con forza” in bar 15, forte in bar 19 with dim. to pp in bar 21, forte again in bar 29, pp in bar 30, same in bars 49 and 50. Your runs at the end are perfect and wonderful.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Few more, not going in order...

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 That piece seems like a lot of work! Long, lot of fast arpeggios. It flowed very nicely, the melody stood out above the accompaniment well. Something to aspire to.

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2 Very pretty melody. Sweet song.

12. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13 I liked that prelude; one I’m not familiar with. Played well, very sensitively.

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song") Enjoyed the piece. I know nothing about Tchaikovsky. Thanks for the intro.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 Nicely played, good dynamics, steady pulse throughout. Time to get back to the piano!

34. Tyrone Slothrop - The Sick Doll, Op. 39 No. 7 Very good, intimate piece. Well played, LT! It seems you're got the dynamics down and the melody stands out above the accompaniment well. You're really coming along nicely...I really enjoyed this piece.

44. Schinl - Excerpt from Romanze (Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor) Very nice…part of big Chopin piece is better than nothing! You did it justice. Maybe you’ll tackle the rest some day, but be proud of what you’ve done so far.

46. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.36, No.3 1st mvmt Wow, great job, lot of quick movement there, beautiful piano, sounds great!

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus Good job, Claudemir, thanks for sharing.

48. MeganR - Prelude 1913 Hey, Megan! I like that piece too, I’ve toyed with it but never got it performance ready. Good job.

52. lvojnovic - K545, Sonata in C major, 2. movement This movement is probably less frequently presented than the first. Very steady, good job.

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza Wow, that is a powerful and dynamic piece! Great performance.

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1 That was really well played, very nice melody. I listened twice, forgetting to write my thoughts the first time, and liked it even more the second time.

It's funny, not having submitted to this one, I really feel left out, especially when it comes to the comments....a void has been created frown. Everyone did so nicely. I'll be back for the next one!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
17. Riddler- always a fun and delightful listen. This one seems a bit slower and serious. I can’t believe you picked this up by ear. Really, that’s amazing.

20. Ralph L- Nice job on a great song.

22. Balezin Dmitry- you have only been playing 1 1/2 years? Wow! Really nice job. I like the different s views on the you tube. (I’m on the road and have to use my iPhone so am unable to do comments but I would if I could).

6. Wouter- Nicely played. You have certainly come a long way in the last 7 years.

12. Jason- well you certainly don’t play this like an”ogre”. But I know what you mean. This is a very sensitive, contemplative work and that can be the biggest challenge. You do a fine job with it.

3. MarieJ- it’s amazing how many works Eiunadi has out there. I’ve never heard this one and frankly would not have guessed it was his. It’s very delicate, sweet and contemplative work. You play it wonderfully.

2. sma55- what a pleasure to listen to you play this beautiful impromptu. You obviously really feel this work. Well done. Nice recording quality too. The piano sounds great.

K
K

thank you very much for all the flattering comments on my piece, I wasn't really expecting that!

Here's my first batch of comments:

01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni)
didn't know the piece but seems flawless to me. Doesn't sound that easy. Very nice listen.

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3
my favorite piece from Schubert? Possibly! Very good performance.

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2
very atmospheric, very clean, I don't know the piece so I can't judge on the parts you've changed nor on the final effect that you want to achieve, but I'm sure you'll manage very soon!

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)
interesting "stream of consciousness" improv. I read in the other comments that you don't have much knowledge of theory. Do you possibly have perfect pitch?

05. Peterws - Circular Trip
is there really a sunny place at all in the UK? :P I really liked your composition, congratulations for your work.

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441
nicely done.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C
pretty much perfect.

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6
didn't know either the composer or the piece. The left hand might be awkward but you definitely make it sound easy!

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth
I recently had a shot at this piece and I can confirm that is easy to underestimate its difficulty. I feel that there's possibly still room for improvement on the triplet-quintuplet ascending arpeggio, but otherwise everything flows perfectly. Those mordents were quite a pain for me, you did a great job with them.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend
so sorry for your loss. Your composition is excellent.

11. sandalholme - Moment Musical No6
I don't know the piece so I'm not the most qualified to judge but I couldn't really spot any flaws in it.

12. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13
nice, very delicate sound

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221
never was into Purcell that much but this piece sounds very nice. Just by listening it's hard to tell there's such a mathematical mess behind, which, I guess, is proof that it works musically! And you've rebuilt the harpsichord yourself? Wow!

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song")
definitely a good choice for the season smile

S
S
14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song")
Really nice performance. So sensitively done. A bit depressing? Sure, but so what? Thanks for sharing it with us!

15. Monica K. - The Aviators
Very nice, Monica! I loved the sensitivity and delicacy of your performance. Definitely one of your best!

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Well played and interesting performance. I can’t say that I always agree with your choices in the ebb and flow of the dynamics, as they don’t always conform to conventional theoretical considerations concerning dissonance and resolution. But I do feel that you made the piece your own. Nice work.

17. Riddler (Ed) - Elegy
Wow! What an interesting, mysterious yet flowing piece. So very well played, Ed. And it’s so impressive that you learned to play it by ear. Great job!

Very nice performance. Your trills and runs flow beautifully. My only criticism concerns the 4 bar introduction. It’s just 2 bars repeated, right? Well, that’s the way you played it anyway—pretty much like a simple repeat. But I think it’s far more interesting if the repeated 2 bars is varied somehow. For example, you might consider making the repeat softer than, and/or of a different tone color (via the una corda pedal) from, the first 2 bars. While this may seem like a trivial detail, Chopin included that odd intro for a reason. And I myself feel that it sets the stage for the entire piece.

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786
Nice job on one of the lesser performed inventions!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by SMA55

Very nice performance. Your trills and runs flow beautifully. My only criticism concerns the 4 bar introduction. It’s just 2 bars repeated, right? Well, that’s the way you played it anyway—pretty much like a simple repeat. But I think it’s far more interesting if the repeated 2 bars is varied somehow. For example, you might consider making the repeat softer than, and/or of a different tone color (via the una corda pedal) from, the first 2 bars. While this may seem like a trivial detail, Chopin included that odd intro for a reason. And I myself feel that it sets the stage for the entire piece.

I completely agree that the repeat should be softer and have a different sound from the 2 opening bars.I did use the una corda pedal on the repeat but obviously it did not make a difference. I also slowed the tempo down near the end. This says to me that what I think I may be doing is not what the listener hears. Thanks for pointing out that subtlety.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni)
It's so beautiful. Pulled me in from the very beginning. I love anime and video game soundtracks. I hope to post something one of these days. I'm just pretty fickle when it comes to learning new stuff. Your pianoteq sounds great here and fits the music very well. Thanks for sharing this.
02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 (to do)
Thanks for sharing your video with this performance. It's a really great companion to your fine playing. You do a great job of bringing out the long melodies in this piece. It's a piece that will always be on my list to learn. What a great sound you're getting out of your piano. Not only does it really sing but the bass is so earthy and the middle range is striking. Nice job on this recording.
03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2
A great piece for late evening in autumn. I love it when music just hangs there. Peter Kater is another great composer for this kind of stretching of time. Einaudi is on my evening playlist but I don't think I've heard this one before. You should be proud of the work you put into this one, it sounds wonderful!
There's a huge range in here. I was not sure what kind of experience this was going to be when it first began. But there is certainly a journey worth taking with a full range of emotions throughout. I don't know the first thing about improvisation and don't really know what to do without my trusty sheet music. I have tried to take some inspiration from my son who makes up new music all the time. And I also do some of the duets with him from his books and I have to improvise sometimes (because my sight reading is so bad).
I wonder if you have any kind of concept behind what you have played here. Are there feelings or situations that produced this music? I'm fine enjoying it in the abstract but just curious. You've managed to have some contrast in this big piece but I would be curious to hear moments of open space too. What do you think? Maybe it's because your piece follows the Einaudi. I'm thinking "Spaces Above" or "Within Silence" from Kater/Guo, "Mystery" by Kater. These three are at least partly improvised. Do you start with an idea, melody or structure that you then extend or do you start fresh?

05. Peterws - Circular Trip Great work on this piece. I love the part at :55 the most. You have some nice transitions and a lively rhythm. On another note, when did pianoteq start sounding so good? I might have to give it another try sometime. I don't expect it to work out for Brahms but there's lots of music that it seems well suited for.

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441
I love the clarity of this recording along with a great balance that I can hear in that final chord.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C
This must be some very rapid progress. To be honest I was really looking forward to hearing the little prelude in C. I was actually super excited to hear it. I don't know why I love that piece so much. But for this piece from the WTC you have really nailed it for your experience level (or any level).
I know what you mean with your son adding some notes to your playing. Mine doesn't do that too often anymore but now that he's taking lessons it's usually him kicking me off the piano. When I play he's suddenly inspired to have his practice. What am I going to say no?

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6
Never heard this one or of this composer. Your excellent playing made for a great introduction to this piece.

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth
You have nice control of this waltz. I feel like you've brought character to it with your runs and ornaments. It's this kind of playing that I find quite difficult in Chopin. (That's why I barely play any Chopin)

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend
Such a distinct sound profile. Each of your chords as you progress to that 1:00 mark where the piece sort of "arrives," is just so beautiful. Even though the piece has real movement and doesn't stagnate, it has that kind of sound where it doesn't feel like it ever has to end. Certainly one of your best efforts!
I'm sorry to hear the circumstances related to this piece. With the work you did here I think it's a really special way of showing meaning in a difficult time

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1
I barely got this one in less than a minute from the deadline. I had always planned to submit this one but I had a lot of trouble with it (I guess there was also procrastination). So I actually recorded this performance 7 minutes before the deadline and just had to chuck it in there. That's why I didn't include any comments. So here are some notes:
Schumann's Op. 99 is one of my favorite works. Most of it I'll never be able to play. This first piece is a real joy to play. It was way harder than I originally thought. It's a perfect introduction to the set. At the end of the piece I always hear the next piece starting. This is a bit of a downer because I don't see me playing that one anytime soon!

S
S
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Originally Posted by SMA55

I completely agree that the repeat should be softer and have a different sound from the 2 opening bars.I did use the una corda pedal on the repeat but obviously it did not make a difference. I also slowed the tempo down near the end. This says to me that what I think I may be doing is not what the listener hears. Thanks for pointing out that subtlety.

Interesting that you used the una corda on the repeat. I actually did question whether you might have, because it kind of faintly sounded like it—but only on the first chord of the repeat. But don’t necessarily conclude that there’s a difference between what you think you’re doing and what is actually audible. It’s possible that your audience might have heard just what you thought you were doing, had they heard you playing live. The piano is an exceptionally difficult instrument to record faithfully, both in terms of its dynamics and its sound spectrum. For example, I myself have only inexpensive recording equipment. When I record myself using it, the resulting dynamic range of the recording is markedly compressed compared to what I hear while playing. So are my ears merely deceiving me? Well, I put it to the test. I have a friend who works at an actual recording studio. As a favor, he recorded me there, playing a portion of a piece I had previously recorded at home. The difference was like night and day. With the studio recording, those portions that I played pianissimo sounded pianissimo, and those passages I played forte sounded forte, unlike my unidimensional home recording. All of this is to say that it may not be your ears; it could well be your recording equipment and/or technique that’s the problem. Just a thought.

S
S

hyena:
24. snejana - Bagatelle
Nice! I do enjoy it with a bit less pedal though, since I think this is quite a rhythmic piece.I'd also suggest cutting the sound in the stops, thus releasing the keys & pedal for a short moment.

schinl:
24. snejana - Bagatelle
It sounds beautiful, almost romantic! I like it, and I think you brought new life to it.

Monica K:
24. snejana - Bagatelle: You might consider this heretical, but I actually liked this bagatelle better than most Bach. Then again, I have a preference for strong and pretty melodies, which this piece definitely has. I thought the tempo was perfect for the melody, in fact.

Jason Lenthe:
24. snejana - Bagatelle I liked your recording a lot and the mellow softness to it. Personally, I think offense of any purists is usually something to be proud of. This is art after all.

Balezin Dmitry:
24. snejana - Bagatelle
I love when slef-taught people play this well, because it makes me feel that I'll be able to play this well too. Nicely played

Riddler:
24. snejana - Bagatelle
Well done, very listenable. I am surprised to see that you are entirely self-taught. Your playing is even and smooth in a way that suggests a good teacher. Delightful composition.

Pianist685:
24 snejana – Diabelli Bagatelle This is a very nice little piece of music. Good job. I only wish you could release the pedal more often when harmonies change.

Huge thanks to those who listened to my submission and provided a very valuable feedback! I was quite nervous about the submission but this community always lifts you, supports you and encourages you to continue to improve.

@hyena and @Pianist685: Thank you for pointing to pedaling issues. It is one of the many struggles smile

@ schinl, @Monica K, @Jason Lenthe. I am relieved that my interpretation was well taken, and I am very happy that you enjoyed it!

@Balezin Dmitry.
It means a lot to me that I myself could inspire others. It feels a little intimidating to submit my recording and participate in the recital with so many talented piano players!

@Riddler. Thank you for the compliment. I frequently compare myself to other adults with similar number of year of experience, and I always feel like I lag behind. So, I appreciated your feedback that it looks like I have a teacher!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
16 Fishandchips

Strong sound here; Nice job with loads of dynamics. Loved it.

17 Riddler

Interesting song. It rings nicely on your piano and has good build ups. It's hard sorting out these things without music. But then, you can take some liberties I guess. Not sayin' ya did, mind . . . smile but i would've!

18 PianogrlNW

This is very popular on this site, and little wonder. One of Chopin's better pieces to my way of thinking. Your piano has a lovely ring to it and you always play it it so nicely!

19 Lithotriptor

Lovely Bach. Lovely Trills. Which I could do both! Magnifique!

20 Ralph L

Nice work, Ralph. You're playing that like a good 'un. Have fun.

It's wine o'clock . . . 'Bye!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
A few more, with a few to go -

02 – SMA55/Shepherd – Impromptu – You did so well with the long melody lines and the “busy” accompaniment – sigh. There are a couple of pop pieces like that I’d love to play but alas I haven’t got it figured out like you have. And nice drama/dynamcs, too. Well done.

03 – MarieJ – Snow – This was quite beautiful. You played it beautifully, too.

05 – Peterws – Sunniest - 😊 I don’t know why, but I think this is cheerful! Maybe that’s what you called it “sunniest” place. You seemed to be enjoying yourself 😊

12 – Jason Lenthe – Prelude – You are so right about the technical part not being the hardest part of a piece, but making it music. I thought you did particularly well starting at about 1:38 – those chords in the left hand under the high melody – you had that down. Good for you for staying with it so successfully
13. Sam S – Ground C minor – I’m partial to Purcell – lots of English country dances set to his music – and to harpsichord, too, so this was particularly pleasing to me. You played it so well – keeping track of all the voices, and the ornaments were just right. Terrific
15. Monica K. – The Aviators – Congratulations to Isaac, and to his great Mom! What fun news! You play this so expressively – the pause in the middle is great. And the ending is so triumphant and then in to awe and satisfaction and appreciation – perfect.

17. Riddler – Elegy – Really nice and moving, and the parts fit together so well. Some day I’m going to be able to play like you laugh

18. PianogrlNW – Nocturne – Such a nice touch, no accidental unevenness, which I can’t do :\ And nice shaping of phrases, in both hands. And the trills! I liked this a lot.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker

There's a huge range in here. I was not sure what kind of experience this was going to be when it first began. But there is certainly a journey worth taking with a full range of emotions throughout. I don't know the first thing about improvisation and don't really know what to do without my trusty sheet music. I have tried to take some inspiration from my son who makes up new music all the time. And I also do some of the duets with him from his books and I have to improvise sometimes (because my sight reading is so bad).
I wonder if you have any kind of concept behind what you have played here. Are there feelings or situations that produced this music? I'm fine enjoying it in the abstract but just curious. You've managed to have some contrast in this big piece but I would be curious to hear moments of open space too. What do you think? Maybe it's because your piece follows the Einaudi. I'm thinking "Spaces Above" or "Within Silence" from Kater/Guo, "Mystery" by Kater. These three are at least partly improvised. Do you start with an idea, melody or structure that you then extend or do you start fresh?

Thank you for listening so acutely and for taking so much time and trouble to write about your response to my music.

Are there feelings or situations that produced this music?

This particular one ? Not at the actual time of creation or before the event, not consciously, no, but when I listened to it later I realised I had captured certain associations unconsciously, hence the title. This happens to me quite often.

You've managed to have some contrast in this big piece but I would be curious to hear moments of open space too. What do you think?

Too many notes, too much energy, too much of everything ? I have had this response very often. I don't know, it's complicated. Whether the characteristic is positive or negative depends on how intrinsic it is to my musical personality. I don't want to change something only to find I have thrown the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. Rapid finger work is a way I can emulate the orchestral effects I enjoy, absolutely not a display of dexterity. On the other hand, there is such a thing as the physical yoga of piano playing, the syncretic balance of haptic, intellectual and emotional. There is also the pragmatic fact that what I post on the internet comprises around a 500th of my recorded output. Perhaps I am simply selecting the ones with a lot of action. In any case, I am giving the matter serious thought.

Do you start with an idea, melody or structure that you then extend or do you start fresh?

In generaI I never know what is going to happen. I relish surprise and serendipity and I am unsatisfied if what I have recorded does not force me to reach out into new regions of my musical landscape. Yes, of course, sometimes an idea or phrase will emerge at the start or during the process and I use it. Form yes, structure no, I don't like structure and it is a mystery to me why it is considered important. Form is a much deeper concept and for me is generated by a nest of mathematically chaotic feedback loops in the brain. You know, like one of those chaotic pendulum toys that were popular thirty years ago, completely determined yet unpredictable.

Rather a verbose answer, but I do appreciate your insightful questions, which deserve a considered reply.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Pianist685
...I would like to raise the following issues...

Thank you, Constantin, for your generosity and your close attention. I will also post a response in the Study Thread, I hope you don't mind, as some of the information might be helpful to others planning or working on this piece.

It should indeed be D#'s in 40, 42 and 44. Thanks for picking this one up. I just went back to the piano to look at this and discovered I'm playing them (and reading them as) Db (not D). I think I may have always done this, at least since changing over fairly early on from playing the whole passage in LH to giving the RH a greater involvement with the B# and G# before these low notes so that I could play the passage faster.

The D# didn't sound unfamiliar (though I quite like the Db's also, I must say) but I was working on Mussorgsky's In the Crimea and a Dvorak Waltz, both in Db, for the Slavic themed recital when I started this piece (which just didn't happen for me so expect one of them in Recital 53). That's probably why I'm still reading these notes even now as Db. This will probably take me some time to fix but I'm really grateful for this comment.

Bar 28 was a slip. M27 and 28 are the same in the LH. I practise those two measures playing the two RH voices individually against the LH, as well as HS, and an A would stand out quite clearly. I was probably distracted planning the following trill!

The C# should be played again according to Chopin's autograph and the manuscript from his sister's collection - the sources for the two Henle Urtext versions. Arrau, Pires and Barenboim all play it this way. Paderewski's edition (for the Chopin Institute) ties the C#, as does Cortot. I used to tie it as I started with the Paderewski edition but I have now changed it.

As to the dynamics, they are a work in progress. I started slowing this piece down around six or seven weeks ago and it will take me some time to soften the Pianos accordingly without ghosting too many notes. The Fortes are as loud as I want them for the con Forza passages but I do need to bring up the level for M17-20 and the add some appassionato in the reprise, where I feel the top E is the climax of the piece.

The forte in the manuscript is under the E in M18, the climax of the phrase, not under the G in M19 (as in Paderewski's edition). The F and PP in M29-30 are also Padereswki's and don't appear in the autograph.

It's great to get appreciation in these recitals, and I got a great slap on the back from you, thank you so much, but comments like this are invaluable. I know myself how much time, effort and many listens goes into making sure the comments aren't misplaced so thank you again for your time and attention. I'm so grateful.

Richard
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kalos Piano

interesting "stream of consciousness" improv. I read in the other comments that you don't have much knowledge of theory. Do you possibly have perfect pitch?

Thanks for listening. No, I do not have absolute pitch and in general my measurable musical abilities are very modest. Fortunately for me, the creative drive requires far fewer of these properties than most people imagine. The widespread notion that improvisation requires large numbers of prerequisite skills is one of the worst blocks to people enjoying their own music.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
21 Handyman

There's so many versions of this old masterpiece. And there were a few jokes about Streisand kicking about (UK humour) involving the relationship between her nose and a hairbrush.
'Nuff o' that. Darned nice song; you could've expanded it a tad, but never mind. Good work!

22 Balezin Dimitry

Very nicely played. That piano sounds as good as any digital I hear, and particularly suits this music.

23 AKC42

This tune kicks out not a few rounds a minute. Yes, there were one or two glitches, and maybe some hesitations. Time and practice! Always works. Have fun!

24 Snejana

Really nice sound hear, and lots of expression. A sensitive touch you have. And you put it to good use!

25 barbaram

A pleasant nostalgic feel to this tune; a much used chord sequence which never fails to induce such feelings. You played that piano very well, it sounded a treat.

I've had some muesli and a cup o' tea. Grief! This is bad . . . I should be out but i crashed my bike Thursday night coming back from the Gym which I use to avoid crashing my bike on the roads . . . Happy days!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Next 10 listen all cool pieces to hear!!

21. Handyman - The Way We Were Quite a moving piece , and played so well. This could serve as a prelude to a layered piano with strings to add the orchestral feel after the piano solo. I loved this- it was done so well. I don’t think any more needs to be said.

22. Balezin Dmitry - Primavera well played dynamics seemed even and fine , like the motif, maybe a little slower? would add emotive movement. Enjoyed the listen.

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13 I know this a challenging piece and you played this well.. I love Bach! Kudos to you Might need a little more evenness [at the end], but even that is good
! Enjoyed the listen !

24. snejana - Bagatelle Never heard this Bagatelle, (just the one by Beethoven) I liked this though and it was played evenly and enjoyed the listen … Definitely a good authentic piano recording sound of an acoustic !

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz nice delicate piece and played well with an even touch . Enjoyed the listen !-and the final note ! 

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues WOW , good composition , nice motif and a toe tapper of a tune. Can’t identify the genre though , but very well played and recorded !!!

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11) Actually the piano sound of this was authentic, the playing was even but too even as far as touch .. Otherwise enjoyed the listen !

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) gently moving piece ,well played and subtly emotive, Noted the vaulted arched picture as a backdrop in the video. Just imagine sitting under the vaulted arch with a gentle breeze as the piano is played somewhere within the building, heard at first faintly… The piano crescendo’s with the breeze becoming stronger , with the scent of flowers in it , until at last it is over, the breeze has died …! …Well, enough of that! Enjoyed the listen!!!! My imagination muse was burning in my ear on this !!!!

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good Cool well played toe tapper, liked to listen to this sort of a relief piece, Enjoyed the; listening and well played !

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Far away reverb feel to this but adds to the dimension of a listening experience. Well played and touch was excellent, as the thrills were played excellently. Anyway Enjoyed this , well done !!!!

S
S
20. ralph L. - Hallelujah
Nice playing, Ralph. I liked the first half of your arrangement. But I didn’t at all care for the cheesy accompaniment in the second half. Kind of left me scratching my head as to why you interrupted the beautiful flow with it. But perhaps that’s just me.

21. Handyman - The Way We Were
You made it abundantly clear that you love this song (and movie of the same name), and it shows in your playing of it. Nice work!

22. Balezin Dmitry - Primavera
You do a good job of getting to all the right notes. And as you say, you’re still working on the more subtle aspects of playing the piece. You haven’t been playing for very long, and I’m sure you’ll get there. But watching you play in your video suggests to me that you are likely not studying with a teacher. Why do I think this? It’s your technique of playing alone with your fingers without assistance from your arms, with your wrists rigidly locked. Playing in this fashion creates lots of stress which can impede your progress, as well as cause tendinitis other injuries. If I’m right that you don’t have a teacher, I urge you to consider finding one—if you’re serious about wanting to learn to play in a healthy fashion that will allow you to progress to your full potential.

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13
Given the short length of time you’ve been playing, this is a pretty darned good effort. Needless to say, Bach’s inventions are not easy! Keep up the good work!

24. snejana - Bagatelle
Pretty little piece which you play nicely. The thing I hear that requires the most work is your pedaling. As things are right now, you’re pedaling right through multiple different harmonic groupings, and the resulting sound is muddied by it. Listen to your recording and see if you can hear this. That’s the first step in remedying the problem—hearing it. Once you can hear it, try working on cleanly releasing the pedal after the end of each harmonic group, with at most only a slight overlap into the next one, in order to carry the legato effect. But again, nice work overall!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
20. ralph L. – Hallelujah – I liked this very much. I liked the way you intermixed the solo piano and the other backing – I thought it was very effective
22. Balezin Dmitry – Primavera – You kept the interest up all thru this with your varying dynamics and the way you shaped phrases. Well done.

26. Kalos Piano – Minuet – This was great! I sure think you achieved your goal 😊 And you played it well, too. Very creative, and it worked!

27. BSharp(C)yclist – Fluttering – oh, I liked this. I remember playing some Heller that I liked back in the day. This was a clean, uncluttered, lively little piece. Very nice.

28. JoBert – Moments – Congratulations on your youtube challenge! laugh You had some nice phrasing throughout this piece, and were definitely doing something right.

41. cathryn99 – Study in F – brava. My left hand has left the building on stuff like this, so it was fun to hear you play it. Have fun being back at the piano.

34. Tyrone Slothrop – Sick Doll – Well done, good dynamics and accents.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission