Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (BearLake, AnnInMiami, Animisha, Bett, ando, Alex Hutor, astrotoy, brendon, 16 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: cathryn999] #2781561
11/16/18 07:31 AM
11/16/18 07:31 AM
Croatia
L
lvojnovic Offline
Silver Subscriber
lvojnovic  Offline
Silver Subscriber
L

Croatia
Originally Posted by cathryn999
No 52 - Ivojnovic - K545

Hi Ivojnovic,
I know this piece quite well (been working on in for 30 years, haha!). First let me say this is remarkable playing for someone who only has 3 years experience, well done! I hope you don’t mind if I provide what I hope is some helpful feedback.

I like to think of this movement as a breather between the Allegro and the Rondo. Technically your playing is quite good, but remember it’s Andante, moderately slow. So think of it as a walk in the park... take it at that tempo. Even though Mozart should be played lightly and elegantly (and you do this well), it would be good to hear a little more rubato here and there. Heighten the tension in places. Also be careful of differentiating between the end of a phrase (play “up” into the end of a phrase) and “staccato” - they are different sounds, and sometimes your punctuation of a phrase sounds a little like staccato. You could soften (quieten) the left hand a little. There is a different “texture” that comes in to your playing between about bar 45 - 49, it’s really smooth and lovely. Whatever you’re doing in those bars, take it out to the rest.

So, I hope that is helpful. Again congratulations, K545 is much harder than it looks, and you have done better in 3 years than I’ve done in 30. Good luck with your recital, I’m sure you’ll go great, and remember above all else, enjoy it.

Cheers
Cathryn.

Thank you so much for your feedback.
I agree that it can be played a little slower, but my teacher wants me to play it this fast, so I am going with her suggestion. At the recital I will probably play it a little slower if my hands start to shake too bad (like they usually do with mozart).
It is funny that you say that about my ends of phrases, because my teacher says the same. I have multiple markings in the score with text like "soft" over those places. I am getting better but it is a work in progress smile

The left hand is the hardest part of this piece for me. It is really good now, a year and a half after I started this movement, but it tires easily, and I still have some problems with control, articulation and sometimes keeping tempo.
My teacher insists on strong articulation of the left hand part. I understand that the goal is to develop my control over my left hand. But, right now I can't at the same moment manage articulation and keep it quiet. She says it will come with time, that 3 years is a short time smile My digital piano is soft so it is a little easier on it, on an acoustic my left hand is louder, but luckily grand at the recital will be very soft.

Again, thank you smile

Kawai CN41
Kawai BL51
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781595
11/16/18 10:12 AM
11/16/18 10:12 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
These comments are in no particular order, I skipped around a lot, actually watched the YouTube versions first b/c I was at a computer (as opposed to listening in the car, which I do for some of the longer pieces when I can). Great job to everyone who participated. This is the first time I've sat out in a little while. Hope to be back to it soon. Here's a first batch of comments.

01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni) Well done, thank you.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C This nice little prelude is one of my go to warm up pieces, played when I’m burned out and don’t feel like thinking. Well done. Cool effect on the video.

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth Very well done, didn't sound like it was played by a beginner at all. Sometimes you just need a little more time. Glad you presented it.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend Very nice piece, well composed and played, dynamically intriguing. I enjoyed it!

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221 Soooo cool! It’s like a little time warp! It just needs to be played in a parlor with a bunch of socialites lounging around, by candlelight.

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786 Nice job on the Bach piece. Are you a urologist? (Username).

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues Pretty cool piece, nice that you were able to improvise / compose it yourself. Good choice of key also!

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11) Nicely played, like the hand crossing, good touch.

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) What a long and big piece, with so many delicate spots. Great playing.

31. Moo smile - Venetian Gondola Song Nice playing, Moo, I like those Mendelssohn pieces.

32. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1 Can’t beat Beethoven…great playing, good luck with the exam.

33. Keselo - The Sick Doll & The Doll's Funeral Very nice, slow, touching music. I’m really not very familiar with Tcaikovsky at all. One of my YouTube favorites, Kara Comparetto, is doing the entire Nutrcracker. Might want to check her out, if you're not familiar with her work.

35. Qwerty53 - Invierno Absolutely love it! So unique, interesting, different. Piazzolla was awesome. Is this the same version I heard a few wks ago? Sounded a little different. Excellent for 18 months. Keep it up!

38. Piano_primo_1 - Prelude Op 28 No. 4 in E minor This was one of my first “real” pieces also. You’ve got the notes. I’d work on softening the L hand chords a little more. Keep this one active, you’ll only grow to love it more over time.

41. Cathryn99 - Moszkowski - Study in F, Op 91 No 4 Fun etude, Cathryn, thanks for sharing it with us!

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales from the Symphony of the Night/Castelvania soundtrack How different, and intense! Great job. Even three octave spreads make me nervous, and what a tempo too!

43. sinophilia - Agitato Sorry that you weren’t pleased with your piece, but at least you submitted something (unlike me). I like the etudes, they are fun, if you don’t get too caught up in them. Good job.

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1 Wow, Liz, what a great performance, and a fantastic way to begin your forum recital career! This may be my on my hit list one day. I’m not really one in a position to give tips to you, but one thing that may help is intentionally softening the left hand accompaniment to make the melody stand out from the chords while maintaining a lower volume. This may allow you to widen the dynamic range. Thanks for sharing, it was really good.

51. Dario Sanchez Martinez - Fantasia K397 That was really good. I’m not a big fan of Mozart; I tend to lean towards the romantic era, so I’m not very familiar with this piece. However, by about a minute or two in, I found myself curious enough to first look up the level (on Piano Syllabus), then the sheet music and I began to follow along. Really a cool piece, and well played. Thanks for introducing it to me. I know, it’s famous, I should have known it already, but I just haven’t really paid that much attention to Mozart yet.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: cmb13] #2781619
11/16/18 11:15 AM
11/16/18 11:15 AM
Long Island, NY
A
AssociateX Offline
AssociateX  Offline
A

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by cmb13
These comments are in no particular order, I skipped around a lot, actually watched the YouTube versions first b/c I was at a computer (as opposed to listening in the car, which I do for some of the longer pieces when I can). Great job to everyone who participated. This is the first time I've sat out in a little while. Hope to be back to it soon. Here's a first batch of comments.

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1 Wow, Liz, what a great performance, and a fantastic way to begin your forum recital career! This may be my on my hit list one day. I’m not really one in a position to give tips to you, but one thing that may help is intentionally softening the left hand accompaniment to make the melody stand out from the chords while maintaining a lower volume. This may allow you to widen the dynamic range. Thanks for sharing, it was really good.

Thank you, yes I agree that the LH is a little too loud and drowns out the melody, and thats the problem I have with my piano - it has a very deep bass (its a 1912 Steinway Model O). I have to deliberately dampen my LH for all the bass notes and then when I get to a different piano for my meetups or for my piano lesson, the bass is hardly audible..lol! Ahh well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Completed:
1. Schubert -MM 3 and Impromptu 90/1
2. Bach- Prelude & Fugue (F min - WTC 2)
Working on:
1. Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 #2
2. Beethoven Sonata Op 2 # 1
My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781621
11/16/18 11:31 AM
11/16/18 11:31 AM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline

Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline

Silver Subscriber

As usual, am so much enjoying listening to all of these wonderful pieces! My first batch of comments:

01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni) Very expressive piece, well played!

02. SMA55/Shepherd - Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3 I can see why this is your favorite Schubert piece, very beautiful melodic lines that you played so well.

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2 So expressive and played with delicacy in the "sweet" places. Really enjoyed

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) Wow, so cool! I'm amazed by your ability to just "go for it".

05. Peterws - Circular Trip Great composition, wonderful playing. A couple of surprising bits, surprising meaning very satisfying to the ear. And I loved your ending!

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 A fun, upbeat piece. I do love baroque music, and am inspired now to add Handel to my "to do" list. Well done!

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C You played this piece beautifully, one of my favorite pieces to play, almost meditative.

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6 I do love a waltz! Love the drama (who would have expected a waltz to be so), fabulous playing.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781701
11/16/18 05:00 PM
11/16/18 05:00 PM
MeganR Offline

Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline

Silver Subscriber

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth Really a lovely waltz, played beautifully.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, this is a beautiful tribute indeed.

11. sandalholme - Moment Musical No6 As other commenters have noted, the dynamics in this piece are great, very expressive. Really enjoyed.

12. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13 Really nice, not at all "ogre-ific".

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221 Wow, this is great. Also enjoyed your explanation - happy to leave the counting to you!

14. dumka1 - "October" ("The Autumn Song") Great job with expressing the sometimes sad feeling of moving into the dark winter.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781702
11/16/18 05:12 PM
11/16/18 05:12 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
This batch has so many performers that I've followed over the years and it was such fun to listen to them all - what inspirations they are! Particularly the care and focus and love of learning they bring to their playing. What a fortunate soul I am to be able to "meet" them here on the forum!

52. hyena/Lvojnovic – K545 Nice tempo! Lively and cheerful in the opening, and nice dynamics for a little drama.

49. serge88 – Waltz – There were some very delicate parts to this, sort of wistful. Funny when we try something completely new and find we like it so much, eh?

48. MeganR – Prelude – I hear you about tearing something and kind of starting over, but it’s part of the fun to suss all this stuff out, isn’t it? And this seems to be a piece with those kinds of challenges. But it sounded good to me! Have fun working on it.

44. Schinl – Romanze – Another one in which the work is half the fun! You have some nice movement going on and a focused feel of being absorbed with your music. Well done.

43. Sinophilia – Agitato – You made it match its name 😊 Some good dynamics, and the touch is firmly just right. I’m continually impressed with your ability to learn and get all the parts of a piece, not just the notes. What a great journey to follow.

42. Mr Super-Hunky – Dance of Pales – Wow! That was terrific! You are another person I just totally admire for your journey in learning and playing. I loved the strutting feel of this, and the way it just moved right along.

39. Richard/zrtf90 – Lento – The perfect piece to listen to after Mr Super-Hunky – so calming and meditative. I know how much of yourself you put in to your pieces and it shows here – lovely.

38. Piano_primo_1 – Prelude – You had me from the first note 😊 You have played this with what I call “sensitively played block chords” which is really hard to do, but you’ve made this the epitome of well-played. I really liked it.

33. Keselo – Doll ☹ I agree with the slow tempo – it adds a whole dream-like dimension to the pieces. And I could see the ballerinas in my head dancing this – sort of Nutcracker feel to it. Very, very nice.

32. SwissMS/Doris – Sonata – How cool that this was recorded live during an “exam”! You’re a great performer – and it’s been so fun to listen to and follow you thru the years. This was so well done – have a great time at your actual exam.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I'm retired!
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781715
11/16/18 05:57 PM
11/16/18 05:57 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

01. SleepyBear - My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni)
Aw, very sweet and sentimental piece. And you played it so very well! And while I’m not so much of a lover of digital pianos and VST’s (Pianoteq in particular) as a substitute for real acoustic pianos, I have to admit that this version of Pianoteq and/or the particular settings you’ve chosen for it, do sound pretty darned good!

03. MarieJ - The Snow Prelude No.2
Great job, Marie! This is clearly not an easy piece, and I can definitely hear the challenges it presents on a couple of different levels. As I seem to say in every one of these ABF recitals, I’m not much a fan of Einaudi. But THIS piece, and your sensitive rendition of it, did manage to hold my attention all the way to the end. But even more important to me, your playing affected me emotionally. Again, very well done, Marie!

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)
This most recent submission of a portion of one of your improvisational sessions is definitely intense and high energy. And given that true improvisations like yours are done on the fly and reflect whatever it is that you’re thinking and feeling in the moment, it’s probably completely impertinent for me to offer any criticism. So the fact that my ears would have preferred to hear some breathing in the piece (in terms of the intensity letting up a bit, some sense of release and relief) is of course just my personal preference and likely irrelevant to your own objective in your improvisations. I agree with you, by the way, that modern piano lessons should include a component of instruction in improvisation. Unfortunately most teachers of classical music themselves have little to no experience with it. Thanks for sharing your work.

05. Peterws - Circular Trip
Yep, I get the full circle aspect of this trip. And it was a pleasant one for me (although I wish they still served peanuts during the flight). As always, I’m impressed with your compositional skills, Peter. Really well done.

06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441
Short but sweet. Nice job.

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C
Very nicely played! I like the dynamics you used, without which this piece can sound very dull and monotonous sounding. But you emphasize the tension and released, and in my opinion, that’s critical for this piece. For someone who apparently has only been playing 13 months, you have a very nice handle on things.

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6
Wow! Very impressive. You clearly are a highly skilled pianist, and you use dynamics and rubato to great advantage. Bravo!

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MarieJ] #2781718
11/16/18 06:02 PM
11/16/18 06:02 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by MarieJ

04. Ted Jones - "In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60) Ted, this piece does need a video - not of what you described as ‘ursine groping at the instrument’ laugh , but of water - waterfalls, waves, streams, downpours, kids playing under hoses. It has the same sense of variety and timelessness - loved it.

Thanks for listening. The amazing diversity of image and association in minds listening to the same sounds has led me to conclude that music is not a language and communicates nothing at all. Although not popular, the notion is difficult to refute. Pleased you enjoyed it.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781728
11/16/18 06:26 PM
11/16/18 06:26 PM
Australia
cathryn999 Offline
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Australia
No 51 - Dario Sanchez Martinez - Fantasia K397

Hi Dario,
Again, this is a piece I know quite well so I’m happy to provide some feedback which I hope you find helpful.

Firstly, this is not an easy piece to learn, and almost impossible to get a recording in one go - good on you for getting as far as you did! Overall your phrasing and dynamics are quite good, and good work on the cadenzas!

In the sections beginning at Bars 20 and 35 (forte, with the repeating Es (Ds at 35), something you can do there is make every second note an echo, or a ‘pulse’, of the first - so the emphasis is on the beat, the half beat is just an echo of the full beat. For an example have a listen to my recording at about 1:34. Can you hear the Es pulsing, rather than repeating? It gives a nicer texture (imo).

Also, in the following bars, bring out the bottom note of the RH chord, it’s quite a lovely progression - have a listen to mine at about 1:38 and 2:43 to see what I mean.

From Bar 29, I would like to hear more legato in the quavers of the left hand, and crisper articulation in the right (but that’s a preference thing).

In Bar 60, the 6th bar in the lovely little D major section, there’s a timing issue. You’re playing the notes as quavers - note the rests in that bar. It should be quaver, semiquaver, rest, quaver semiquaver rest.

Good on you for pushing through some off notes before the second cadenza and continue to play/record. That’s a hard section and it catches me every time. And again, good work on the cadenzas, much cleaner and clearer than mine.

Really well done Dario, Massive congratulations for getting this piece this far, I’m looking forward to hearing the final section (especially those great big chords at the finale), and I hope find this feedback helpful.

Cheers,
Cathryn

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55] #2781733
11/16/18 06:32 PM
11/16/18 06:32 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by SMA55

This most recent submission of a portion of one of your improvisational sessions is definitely intense and high energy. And given that true improvisations like yours are done on the fly and reflect whatever it is that you’re thinking and feeling in the moment, it’s probably completely impertinent for me to offer any criticism. So the fact that my ears would have preferred to hear some breathing in the piece (in terms of the intensity letting up a bit, some sense of release and relief) is of course just my personal preference and likely irrelevant to your own objective in your improvisations. I agree with you, by the way, that modern piano lessons should include a component of instruction in improvisation. Unfortunately most teachers of classical music themselves have little to no experience with it. Thanks for sharing your work.

However transient and personal the mental states of the act of improvisation itself, the recording of it still exists as a permanent artistic end product, and is open to criticism and opinion as much as sounds represented through pen and paper. Technology has simply enabled a new generating process for art, it hasn’t changed the deeper aesthetics of anything. Therefore, as more than a few listeners agree with you about the number of notes and their intensity, I might well give the matter serious thought. Thanks for listening and for your insight.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781753
11/16/18 08:04 PM
11/16/18 08:04 PM
S
schinl Offline
schinl  Offline
S

39. Richard (zrtf90) - Lento con gran espressione
Beautifully played.. quiet and elegant, like a nocturne should be. I'm curious what the difference between all the versions you tried?

40. thepianoplayer416 - Waltz #2
Did not know they made a piano solo transcription for this wonderful Shostakovich piece, it sounds great!

41. Cathryn99 - Moszkowski - Study in F, Op 91 No 4
Moszkowski is difficult, I think your tempo is fine, considering the amount of work this piece demands!

42. Mr Super-Hunky - Dance of Pales
Sounds like the left hand jumps had to be done blind.. always hate that! But you played with great gusto and the spirit of the dance came through very well!

43. sinophilia - Agitato
I'm glad you shared this with us, I think it's a great effort for only 5 hours work.

45. PianoVet - Bach Invention #14 in B-flat major
Love how the two voices mingle with each other!

46. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.36, No.3 1st mvmt
So enjoyable to listen to! You bring such life and humor to this piece.. I would listen to it over and over. So wonderful that your piano sounds so great right out of the box, too. Can't wait to hear it at the next recital when the piano is 'broken in'.

47. Claudemir Medeiros - Pela luz dos olhos teus
So idyllic and peaceful to listen to. Great job for only two years experience.

48. MeganR - Prelude 1913
It sounds good.. a little hesitant maybe, but with time I think it will flow better.

49. Serge88 - Waltz opus 69 no. 1 "L'Adieu"
You can't just play one Chopin... You start with a Waltz.. maybe sample a Nocturne later.. next thing you know a Prelude and even a Polonaise shows up on the piano.. why does anyone do drugs when you can just play Chopin?

50. AssociateX (Liz) - Chopin Nocturne- E Minor - Op.72 # 1
Pretty good for a third take.. I think it sounds great, with lots of emotion.

51. Dario Sanchez Martinez - Fantasia K397
Oh I love this piece, and you play it quite well. Maybe with more familiarity it would be up to tempo.

52. lvojnovic - K545, Sonata in C major, 2. movement
It's hard to calm the nerves when an audience is around, or when the record button is on. I think you did this well though, and it is enjoyable to listen to.

53. zsolpyW - Por Una Cabeza
Oh, I always loved this piece, beautifully played. Your piano sounds great with it too.

54. Pathbreaker - Op. 99 no 1
It sounds beautiful, I love it. Your right hand melody sounds so pretty.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781756
11/16/18 08:36 PM
11/16/18 08:36 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
Thanks schinl and Jason Lenthe. Before I played this I talked about Lawrence Welk having veterans from a particular service stand up when their march was played, and a Navy veteran did it during my set! It's also the most people singing at once that I've ever had, and I think all of them knew the words to every song. It was pretty amazing.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I'm retired!
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781765
11/16/18 09:35 PM
11/16/18 09:35 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Lexington, Kentucky
26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues: Love the punny title, love the melody, but that key signature... crazy I’m very impressed by your composing skills.

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11): This is very much my style of music; I’ll have to look Heller up. I enjoyed watching your video greatly; your playing both sounded AND looked smooth and graceful, which is hard to do with all that crossing hands action.

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780): I agree; trying to play big chords smoothly is very difficult. (I usually just cheat and pedal the heck out of them! whome ). I heard very few “warts” in your performance; you captured well the somber mood of the piece.

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good: Oh, this is a toe-tapping piece, for sure! I loved the easy feel you gave that walking bass line.

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2: If I could play like that, I would be delirious, not “OK.” laugh Your trills impressed me the most, perhaps because trills always give me the conniptions. You’ll ace those two exams with this performance!

31. Moo smile - Venetian Gondola Song: Isn’t it fun to revisit a piece? I always feel reassured that yes, I *am* making progress, even if glacially slowly. Did you have that experience? In any event, I thought you played this beautifully. I love the sad melody.

32. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1: What a great idea to do a mock exam! I’m impressed that you played this in one take... I sure didn’t hear any “warts.” (p.s. I enjoyed the visual effect in your video where you can see your face reflected in the music desk!)

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: hyena] #2781777
11/16/18 10:58 PM
11/16/18 10:58 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by hyena

... I did think there were a lot of notes, I'd love to hear some silences as well...

Me too, lots more of it I'm afraid - didn't we hear this same recording before, only with a different name? After so many minutes and ten thousand and one notes (and nary a theme to be found) it all tends to sound the same...this is actually your crazed cat chasing a frightened mouse back and forth across your keyboard, right? laugh

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781780
11/16/18 11:27 PM
11/16/18 11:27 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221
Sam, fascinating rhythm, as the saying goes. Music like this upsets my balance, makes me feel like I am going to fall over sideways, then suddenly props me up. Love that harpsichord sound! Thanks for sharing this with us.

15. Monica K. - The Aviators
Monica, I know nothing about the background of that piece but to me, it sounds like perfect music to portray the romance and adventure of flight in the day. Beautifully played, as always.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Fishandchips, love that composition! Excellent performance.

19. lithotriptor - Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786
Lithotriptor, that really takes some hand independence. Very listenable. Well done!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781783
11/16/18 11:43 PM
11/16/18 11:43 PM
Jason Lenthe Offline
Jason Lenthe  Offline

21. Handyman - The Way We Were Very elegant. Nice harmonies. Good stuff.

22. Balezin Dmitry - Primavera Very nice playing. This piece seems to have a nice pastoral quality that is very pleasant to listen to.

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13 I was looking forward to hearing your rendition with great interest as I have been playing this piece myself several times a day for that last couple of months. I've kind of become additcted to it and I plan to record it in the next month or so. I can also appreciate first hand the technical difficulties that this piece has that may not be apparent to the casual listener. You have to play arpeggios in counterpoint modulating to various keys. I hope your can understand that it would be hard for me not to compare your interpretation to mine. I would that say mine is more fiery and yours is more elegant with greater subtleties. There's not a single right way, though. I liked hearing your rendition a lot, and one thing I love about classical music how we can hear (or play) the same exact piece that is hundreds of years old over and over again and yet its never really the same.

24. snejana - Bagatelle I liked your recording a lot and the mellow softness to it. Personally, I think offense of any purists is usually something to be proud of. This is art after all.

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz That's a very beautiful piece and you played it very well. Super job!

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues Awesome stuff! Fun to listen to and high marks for creativity! And you even gave a us the score. I may even give this a go myself.

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11) Very nice piece and it has some great arpegio practice in it. I'm kind of fond of that sort of thing and I like playing arpeggiated music myself. I also listened to the Fur Elise. I don't think you would have erred in submitting that, but I can see it would be a tough call. The hardest part is the 2nd part in C major, isn't in? For being one of the most famous pieces of music ever, I find the back story around Fur Elise and mystery about who Elise actually was to be quite intriguing. I enjoyed listening to your recording of it.

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) Those bigs chords are sounding pretty smooth and deep to me. Very nice work!

29. Piano2138 - Feelin' Good Great performance that is true to the title. This must be a fun piece to play.

30. Sideshow - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 This sounds really great to me as it is. I imagine your exam will go very well.

31. Moo smile - Venetian Gondola Song It's great that you were able to dust off an old piece so quickly. And it sounds really great!

32. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1 I can only imagine how difficult it must be to play with someone looking over your shoulder specifically there to grade and judge your playing. Your playing was still top notch even under stress. Really nice job!

33. Keselo - The Sick Doll & The Doll's Funeral I feel so bad for that poor doll now. Listening to this, especially the funeral march, evokes some very vivid imagery in my mind.

34. Tyrone Slothrop - The Sick Doll, Op. 39 No. 7 It's a very interesting for a piece for a children's album, isn't it? I think you played this very nicely with lots of subtelty and sensitivity. Nice job!

35. Qwerty53 - Invierno Welcome to the recitals! I liked listening to your piece a lot. It was refreshing. I am not familiar with Astor Piazzolla.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Handyman] #2781786
11/17/18 12:02 AM
11/17/18 12:02 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by hyena

... I did think there were a lot of notes, I'd love to hear some silences as well...

Me too, lots more of it I'm afraid - didn't we hear this same recording before, only with a different name? After so many minutes and ten thousand and one notes (and nary a theme to be found) it all tends to sound the same...this is actually your crazed cat chasing a frightened mouse back and forth across your keyboard, right? laugh

Thanks for listening, excellent description, always good to hear an honest opinion.

Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781807
11/17/18 02:41 AM
11/17/18 02:41 AM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia

13. Sam S - Ground C minor Z.D221
That sound...reminds you of that fancy epoche. Not a fan, but still
with those trills it is impressive playing.

15. Monica K. - The Aviators
Impressive delicate sound, very soft and beautiful...enjoyable to listen to. Great playiing, wide range and just...well it's worth relistening.

16. fishandchips - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
I somehow started my way at the piano not with classical pieces, but your rendition makes me want to get to classical pieces as well. Just great.

17. Riddler (Ed) - Elegy (to do)
Very clear melody, so bright...and chords in the left have just the right softer sound, melody stays louder wich is hard for me to do (my left hand to strong and sometimes overtake the melody). Great playing

18. PianogrlNW - Nocturne in C# Minor (to do)
Oh, I've hear this one in the Pianist movie, am I right? Great sound and playing... will add to my to do list (when I reach this level)

20. ralph L. - Hallelujah
I like recognizable melodies... I might be not sophisticated enough for classical music, so I tend to like more POP piano, neo-classic is my thing. SO.... I LIKED very much what you did. Nice playing, clear and simple melody. You played smoothed. Great.

I just can't live without some music in my life
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781835
11/17/18 04:22 AM
11/17/18 04:22 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
06. wouter79 - Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441 To me, it’s all about the pieces that you play for yourself, just for fun. I enjoyed it!

07. Mosotti - Prelude in C Delicately played, with lots of light and shade - and after such a short time at the piano. Congratulations!

08. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6 A totally new one for me, and it was surprising - and delightful.

09. Jerzyk19 - Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth The months of practice certainly paid off - a beautiful performance.

10. Peyton - Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend How wonderful to be able to create this very moving tribute to your friend. While listening, I shared the sadness of your loss.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LIV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781839
11/17/18 04:51 AM
11/17/18 04:51 AM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia

21. Handyman - The Way We Were Very atmospheric I would say...Like all the soft notes and melodies. Nicely played.

22. Balezin Dmitry - PrimaveraShall I comment on this one??? :-)

23. akc42 (Alan Chandler) - Invention No 13
I liked the ending, it's much more of a stile I love: mellow and soft

24. snejana - Bagatelle
I love when slef-taught people play this well, because it makes me feel that I'll be able to play this well too. Nicely played

25. barbaram - French Movie Waltz
Melodies seems familiar, because it's a Walts I guess. Liked it.
Might even dance listening to it.

26. Kalos Piano - Minuet in B...lues (to do)
Some notes have a hint of "summer time" Like the blues...want to be able to play it someday. Great playing.

27. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11)
I was going to say...nicely played (of course, da...he's playing like 10 years or so). And then I looked at your data: "3 years". Well, that was just great for that kind of time. Keep it up.

28. JoBert - Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780) (to do)
I loved the second part (after a little break)...Love those low chords with smooth melodies. Great.

I just can't live without some music in my life
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Polished Ebony Finish
by Romar. 07/16/19 07:02 PM
1973 Mason & Hamlin Model A
by vickie1124. 07/16/19 06:12 PM
Digital Piano Headphones
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:53 PM
NAMM 2019 - New Releases? - What to expect?
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:47 PM
Kawai Bluetooth MIDI and Windows?
by magicpiano. 07/16/19 02:50 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,037
Posts2,849,121
Members93,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission