2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Drinkin' Smokin' Cussin' and findin' beautiful women.

Sounds a lot like my hunting camp in the wilds of northern PA...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
R
R

Thank's BillM!

You had a nice version of All of Me. I use to like to play this song myself when I was a young teenager. It's a classic jazz standard that I think is fun to play.

Originally Posted by BillM
RootSeventHird - nicely played. I was disappointed when it ended so suddenly. Your performance deserves a repeat or two.

#2780363 11/12/18 11:04 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Excellent -- another fresh round of submissions!

IosPlayer -- I very much enjoyed your rendition of "Lush Life" -- for me, I thought I heard the influence of Tristano quite distinctly here. I don't know a great deal about Lennie Tristano, but he was in general regarded as a superb teacher of Jazz, and what little I heard of him tells me he was a Jazz practitioner who believed in incorporating many elements of 20th Century Classical compositional techniques into the Jazz language. In that sense, I regard him as a precursor to Keith Jarrett's approach, although Jarrett of course became far better known. Your "Lush Life", as an example, tends to be punctuated with side comments of high intensity -- sharp dynamic contrasts; exploration of ranges both high and low; occasional pungent dissonances; deliberate disturbances of the rhythmic flow at various junctures -- all of which I thought enhanced the experience, and never detracted, at least for me. Very satisfying -- thanks for sharing it!

Riddler -- Well, for me, a straightforward cover of Strayhorn's Standard really works very well indeed -- I can't of another Standard that is so harmonically complex and arises from the language of Jazz so organically. For me, Harold Arlen is only other one I think of who provided many American Popular Standards directly out of Jazz/Blues language. In your hands, the really quite complicated progressions sounded unforced and natural, and that very much to your credit!

jazztpt -- Well, I thought your improv had enough internal structure to keep it focused for the bulk of its 3 minute length -- I was getting a little sense of desperation in the last 20 sec or so, but you ended it with grace and aplomb. And your sense of invention is, as always, fluent, lyrical, rhythmically charged without being overpowering -- wonderful to listen to, in brief.

RootSeventHird -- A very straightforward cover of "Stella by Starlight" -- the bulk of Jazzers just love the chordal progressions of this Standard, and this aspect you underlined very sensitively. Thanks for sharing it!

#2780370 11/12/18 11:24 AM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Tim, That is so kind of you to take the time to give such a thoughtful response. Lennie was all you describe as well as being a colorful fellow. He once got into an altercation with the often argumentative Charles Mingus. Mingus wanted to resort to violence. Lennie agreed, on one condition, that all the lights be turned out. Lennie was blind. It is heartening to hear your positive remarks as recently I have been under fire for my lack of talent and ability. Though pretty confident, it is always welcome to get some reassurance from outside my own skull. Thanks.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
#2780403 11/12/18 02:02 PM
R
R
Pianist685 Nice version of Smile. I didn't realize the original was like this. It made me listen to the original Charlie Chaplin orchestral version. It is so nice! It seems reminiscent of Victor Young's orchestral style.

jazztpt Island and The Causeway are such nice compositions and very well played. Your music really is an inspiration.

Tim Adrianson Really nice/accomplished playing. I especially liked the Marian McPartland. I use to love listening to her piano jazz radio program. She is probably one of the biggest influences in jazz piano.

Handyman Nice version of I'll be seeing you. It seems to use a rhythm pattern I mostly use. I learned it when I was an early teen and I still use it to this day smile

I will see if I can comment on the rest shortly smile

#2780614 11/13/18 11:47 AM
R
R
Riddler Nice version of Bewitched. I know coming up with convincing intros can be very hard. I think you did a great job! I also play this song.

You did an amazing version of Lush Life. I like playing jazz standards this way myself. At least I try smile

IosPlayer Extraordinary recordings of Lush Life and my one and only. I especially enjoyed your version Lush Life. Beautiful improvisations and playing. It is very accomplished. I can hear the Lennie Tristano influence. I also like playing these songs, but of course not nearly at the same level.

Beemer Nice playing! I have an uncle who likes playing the same way. He has the largest collection of popular sheet music (Readers Digest and others) that I have ever seen. It can be a lot of fun to just flip through those books and play a few songs.

#2780618 11/13/18 12:10 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
RootSeven, great rendition of Stella. Makes me wonder why I never played it. These standards offer such great opportunity for expression. How did folks ever create them. A gift of the muse.
I could feel the breath in your playing. I yearned for more space, but I wasn't the one playing!
Thanks for that. I will PM you,

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
R
R
Thanks IosPlayer!

Your feedback means a lot to me. Appreciate the time you took to listen.

Originally Posted by IosPlayer
RootSeven, great rendition of Stella. Makes me wonder why I never played it. These standards offer such great opportunity for expression. How did folks ever create them. A gift of the muse.
I could feel the breath in your playing. I yearned for more space, but I wasn't the one playing!
Thanks for that. I will PM you,

#2780851 11/14/18 09:50 AM
R
R
ladypayne great version of this land. It sounded like you were having a lot of fun at the piano.

jazztpt Congrats on let loose. It must feel amazing to be able to improvise like this. Your voicings and lines are really amazing. It's so nice.

#2780856 11/14/18 10:59 AM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I have enjoyed listening to the recent jazz pieces, but this is not a genre I have much experience either listening or playing. However I thought it an opportune time to dive in and get my feet wet. The biggest problem is that I don't know the blues and jazz pieces I have chosen from my book library so the tempo may not be appropriate. I am reluctant to listen to them online as I'm sure that the no doubt good performances would put me off posting. So here they are and I look forward to your comments: (Sorry the recording level on some might be a little too low)

Do you Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans

Deep Henderson

The midnight Sun will never Set

All about Ronnie

The Five Pennies

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2781313 11/15/18 01:36 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I came up with this today, just playing with minor chord progressions. Goes from Gminor to Cminor, and uses a couple of unknown chords , one is D, Eb snd G, another is F G and B

https://youtu.be/YEPPjOw1H1g

Last edited by LarryShone; 11/15/18 01:37 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
#2781578 11/16/18 09:11 AM
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Beemer – Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans This is the only piece in your second bunch of recordings I know. I am not a Jazz expert, either, but find your contemplative rendition quite appropriate and very good. I think I would play it in the same manner. Maybe I would try to put some more emphasis on the gently swinging accompaniment pattern (eights played as triplets). As far as the tempo of Jazz standards is concerned, there are a lot of examples where artists played up-tempo versions of slow songs and vice versa. As Cole Porter put it: anything goes. I cannot say much about the other pieces since I do not know them. One general thing: you have uploaded wav files which are always quite big (a lot of Megabytes). Mp3 files are much smaller without any considerable loss in quality.

#2781593 11/16/18 09:56 AM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Pianist 685,
Thanks for your comment about DYKWIMTMO piece and advice about swing. My last set of uploads were MP3 at 320kB/s but I was not happy with the audio quality. I have invested heavily in top quality gear, e.g two matched pair Neumann KM184 condenser mics and want to get the best recording I can.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/10102111021812--neumann-km184-nickel-stereo-pair

I do understand that the normal PianoWorld recitals only accept MP3 for various reason, but the Pianobar gratefully accepts any format provided it can be easily previewed. My understanding is that my WAV files on Box.com can be read by anyone without a Box/com account and that the file can be played by streaming, i.e. without needing to download it.

I tune my own piano, so maybe my ears are too sensitive to the quality loss of MP3 where data is discarded in the interest of smaller file size.

http://www.audioanimals.co.uk/news/quick-tips/why-wav-is-better-than-mp3

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2781597 11/16/18 10:14 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Beemer - Nice selection. Miss New Orleans is generally taken a bit faster, more a slow foxtrot but works at various tempos. Louis Armstrong/Billie Holiday did the first version in 1947. Five pennies is a lullaby so is spot on, it's from the Danny Kaye film of the same name, which was a Hollywood biopic of Jazz Cornetist Red Nichols from 1959. Louis Armstrong was also in the Five Pennies playing hmself. Louis' first appearance is set in the mid 1920s when he was in his mid 20s but in 1959 he was 59 smile
First saw the Five Pennies when I was 9 and loved it , perhaps the first time jazz registered with me.

Don't know the other tunes.

Jazztpt

#2781599 11/16/18 10:24 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
RootSeventHird - Stella, nicely played with a cheeky key change for the second time round.

Jazztpt

#2781615 11/16/18 10:58 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
LarryShone - those minor sounds, very mysterious, well done.

Jazztpt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazztpt
LarryShone - those minor sounds, very mysterious, well done.

Thanks. I do love improvising

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
R
R

Thanks jazztpt.

The song is usually played in B flat, but I like playing it in G. At some point I realized I can use the opening diminished chord as a connector. Since its the same chord in both keys smile

Originally Posted by jazztpt
RootSeventHird - Stella, nicely played with a cheeky key change for the second time round.

#2782602 11/19/18 03:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This Robbie Williams song popped into my head and I had a go at playing it, by ear.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
#2782783 11/20/18 10:56 AM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Larry,

Great that you got that "popping out of your head". I look forward to hearing more of you playing.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission