2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Kawai CA98
- Notes can be played 9-10 seconds after power on. MIDI events also start being sent at this time. The GUI is still booting at this time.
- GUI is available ca. 10 seconds later.
- So, around 10 seconds for sound, 20 seconds for complete GUI boot.

I don't have it with me now, but I remember Roland RD-800 takes under 10 sec to function. A lot quicker than I can find the page I want on my sheet music.

Now .. do you want to know how fast Pianoteq starts on my laptop? blush

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ericco
But I recently tried a very well-regarded piano at a shop and I had to wait more than one minute for the thing to "boot up". I prefer not to name and shame, [...]

I don't get it. You opened this thread for the express purpose to ask others to do exactly that: "name and shame" (or "name and praise") their piano models. So why do refuse to do the same for this particular model? confused

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
E
ericco Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you very much for all your answers! This weekend I'll start collecting the numbers, but I can already see some trends (e.g., slabs=around 3 seconds, console pianos=about 10 seconds, korg and dexibel=more than one minute).

I agree that this is not the most interesting topic, of course. But I find it more relevant than the silly "192 vs 256 voice polyphony", or the "quality of the finish". At the very least, this is an objectively measurable quantity of the user interface. Modern digital pianos are, indeed, computers; and today I can leave my laptop in standby for a week, then open the lid and start typing immediately, after less than one second. There is no excuse that a perpetually plugged computer cannot do the exact same thing.

Now I reply to some of the points that have been raised:

Originally Posted by peterws

Must admit the Dexis are slow at booting up. The thread's a good one for those concerned. The simple answer is . . . . . .don't switch it off.

How long do you usually leave it "on" ? I assume that the screen lights turn off after a few minutes, but then the computer is still on, and you can leave it so without a significant electricity consumption? (keeping RAM memory alive is extremely cheap energy-wise). Would it be OK to leave it *always* on? (except, say when there is lighting outside).

Originally Posted by siros

Now .. do you want to know how fast Pianoteq starts on my laptop?

What does it matter? You do not need to ever switch off your laptop or stop any running program unless it crashes. My laptop has now an uptime of several months, and my desktop of more than a year. Hibernation or "sleep" is a well-known thing since more than 15 years ago.

Originally Posted by JoBert
But I recently tried a very well-regarded piano at a shop and I had to wait more than one minute for the thing to "boot up". I prefer not to name and shame, [...]

I don't get it. You opened this thread for the express purpose to ask others to do exactly that: "name and shame" (or "name and praise") their piano models. So why do refuse to do the same for this particular model? confused

It was a white Dexibell H3, that I loved, and that I will probably buy after all, because the sound is lovely and the action feels very good in my fingers. I just did not want to start a thread by badmouthing a manufacturer (I still contend that the a startup time of more than one second is completely unjustifiable in 2018, and much worse than a badly finished wood that seems to bother many users here).

Originally Posted by Bambers
to collect these data.

ugh, this*. And no, not 'because latin', data in latin is the neuter plural past participle form of dare which is the verb 'to give'. Pluralising a word re-purposed into a collective noun meaning information on that basis makes no sense and hardly actually says it like that in general conversation! crazy

...offtopic, but no joke about this! I spent longer writing "these data" than on the rest of my message. Now, after much research, I'm firmly convinced that I was correct, and you will pry "these data" from my cold, dead hands!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by peterws

Must admit the Dexis are slow at booting up. The thread's a good one for those concerned. The simple answer is . . . . . .don't switch it off.

How long do you usually leave it "on" ? I assume that the screen lights turn off after a few minutes, but then the computer is still on, and you can leave it so without a significant electricity consumption? (keeping RAM memory alive is extremely cheap energy-wise). Would it be OK to leave it *always* on? (except, say when there is lighting outside).

It sometimes gets switched off when I go on holiday. Not bothered about the current, it's very small. Computer display goes off though. Sound is immediate of course, when I play. I don't even have a lid to open . . . . but there are headphones and Piano Glasses to contend with. It's enough isn't it?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
There will be no prying. And no cold, dead hands.
Now, after much research, I'm firmly convinced that I was correct, and you will pry "these data" from my cold, dead hands!
Data is plural. It's often used (or misused) as a singular, but it's never wrong as a plural. So, yes, you were right to say that you wanted to "collect these data".

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Kawai CA98
- Notes can be played 9-10 seconds after power on. MIDI events also start being sent at this time. The GUI is still booting at this time.
- GUI is available ca. 10 seconds later.
- So, around 10 seconds for sound, 20 seconds for complete GUI boot.

Just for comparison: A modern Windows PC boots up in 5-10 seconds from power off state: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-windows-10-boot-time,5810-4.html

[img]https://img.purch.com/image061-png/...Nzk5NDg1L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDYxLnBuZw==[/img]

Last edited by JoeT; 11/15/18 07:37 PM.

Yamaha P-515
For reference, my TV displays a picture after approximately 6 seconds, however the sound is audible after 2~3 seconds.

My shower takes around 10 seconds to warm up water to a pleasant temperature, however this time is reduced during the summer.

The washing machine takes around 30 minutes to complete a cycle, however this can be reduced using the "Turbo" function.

etc.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Originally Posted by siros

Now .. do you want to know how fast Pianoteq starts on my laptop?

What does it matter? You do not need to ever switch off your laptop or stop any running program unless it crashes. My laptop has now an uptime of several months, and my desktop of more than a year. Hibernation or "sleep" is a well-known thing since more than 15 years ago.

Well, it was supposed to be a little rib. But in fact, I do need to close programs not in use or even shutdown the laptop because I use it for work as well.
This might be the main reason I use Pianoteq almost exclusively now. Other VSTs are a bit slow to load and switch.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ok I love data so I’m game.

MAKE: Yamaha
MODEL: CLP-685
SECONDS FROM POWER-ON TO FIRST NOTE: 5 seconds
SECONDS FROM STANDBY TO FIRST NOTE: n/a

MAKE: Kawai
MODEL: ES110
SECONDS FROM POWER-ON TO FIRST NOTE: 3 seconds

I put n/a as I don’t know that either has a standby mode.

When I bought the ES110 I actually mentioned the wait time wondering why it wasn’t instant. I believe it was KJ who responded that the delay was due to waiting a bit for the amp to warm up to avoid a speaker pop, not for the software to boot.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
P
P
MAKE: Yamaha
MODEL: YDP-S51
SECONDS FROM POWER-ON TO FIRST NOTE: 5-6 seconds

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Fun thread

MAKE:Casio
MODEL: GP-400
SECONDS FROM POWER-ON TO FIRST NOTE: 12.5 seconds

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Casio Privia PX-800: 12 seconds (AiF sound engine, no separate standby mode available)

So, Casio has improved as that's an older model.

I'm slightly annoyed by my smart TV where the picture and sound do appear quickly, but unless I'm really quick I can't change the channel for several seconds as it starts "initializing" or whatever. Sounds similar to the recent high end Kawais: You can play but you can't change the sound as the UI is booting up.

And Data is singular, if we talk about Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek.

(And can be in other cases too. Such as in lower case.)

M
M
Hm, I would also be very interested in the power consumption of a kept on Dexibell. I was considering this one, but 40 loading time can feel like a year...

E
ericco Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Markuska
Hm, I would also be very interested in the power consumption of a kept on Dexibell. I was considering this one, but 40 loading time can feel like a year...

This information is readily available. According to the owner's manual that you can download from the website [1], the power consumption for the H3 is (max=32W, avg=15W, min=12W, stand by=0.2W) and for the H7 the numbers are slightly larger, except the standby which is also 0.2W. Now 0.2W is effectively negligible, it amounts to less than 1$ per year [2].

This is very good news. The idea is that, even if the piano takes one minute to boot, you are supposed to leave it perpetually ON, to no ill effect. And going from standby to full power should be instantaneous, just by pressing a key.

[1] http://www.dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-h3-2/?lang=en Go to the "download" tab, and find the pdf of the owner's manual. The power consumption is documented on page 58.

[2] https://www.howtogeek.com/231886/tested-should-you-unplug-chargers-when-youre-not-using-them/

Last edited by ericco; 11/17/18 09:33 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
MAKE: Kawai
MODEL: CN35
SECONDS FROM POWER-ON TO FIRST NOTE: 4,5 seconds

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Casio CPS-7 - about 1 second.
(Using it until my acoustic piano is sorted. Not something I'd like to do for too long, but it is amazing what can be coaxed out of it with a bit of exaggerated 'expression' - pity the tone is so awful, though, and the keys are so short but that's another story! At least it's quick to wake up, I suppose.)

Last edited by petebfrance; 11/17/18 12:41 PM.

regards
Pete
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission