2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ralph L.
Experience:Almost 2 years
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/XZ6Y91WdyuI
Title of piece:Hallelujah
Duration:02:16
Source of music:Further tweaked from a version in Britain's got talent show. Used keyboard to create backing in the 2nd half, then played piano on top of it.
Instrument used:FP-30 and yamaha e353
Technical feedback wanted:Yes

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Handyman
Title of piece:The Way We Were
Composer:Marvin Hamlisch (music ); Alan & Marilyn Bergman (lyrics)
Duration:03:08
Source of music:Sheet music - Alfred Greatest Hits
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:DP to Audacity on laptop via Behringer Audio Interface
Additional info:"If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me would we, could we?"

This is a common question most of us ask ourselves from time to time, but in this case it's taken from the lyrics of the bridge of this gorgeous title song from the popular 1973 movie "The Way We Were", a romantic drama of a caliber they just don't seem to make anymore.

In my arrangement of the simple version of the song found in one of the Alfred "Greatest Hits" songbooks I quote this part of the lyrics at the beginning (as an intro) and at the end (as a coda) to highlight it and sort of wrap the body of the song in it. The song itself is a masterpiece in the very best tradition of the bittersweet romantic ballads that came out of American movies over many years and decades. It is an amazingly beautiful piece of music from a great songwriting team - one of my all-time favorite songs.

The movie was one of the best of it's era and starred Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford. They were both in their prime as entertainers at that time and were running on high octane talent (this was long before they foolishly went far astray into the wild and wacky world of dubious political commentary). She sang the title song at the beginning of the movie and I strongly recommend that you search for this on YouTube. It's a wonderful vocal performance (as so very much of her singing is) and it's accompanied by some great still shots of her in all of her unique attractiveness thru her career.

Here are the song's complete lyrics:

Memories light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories of the way we were.
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another for the way we were.

Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me would we, could we?

Memories may be beautiful and yet
What's to painful to remember
We simply choose to forget.
So it's the laughter we will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were
The way we were.

Hope you enjoy!

Lunch was a scrumptious Philly cheese steak sub with fried onions and marinara sauce at the local Italian Bistro, with pepperoni rolls and a tall, frosty root beer on the side.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Balezin Dmitry
Experience:1 Year and 10 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15D7qsRwMMY
Title of piece:Primavera
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:04
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Casio CDP-130
Recording method:Recorded to LINE IN of my Ritmix RR-980...then changed gain in Audacity and trimmed scilence
Additional info:Well. the piece isn't so difficult to play (hitting the right notes) but it's all about subtleties...needs a lot of dynamics control. So, I still have planty things to work on

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:akc42 (Alan Chandler)
Experience:Just over a year after 56 year gap - to Grade 3 as a child
Title of piece:Invention No 13
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:33
Source of music:Henle
Instrument used:Kawai CA67
Recording method:Piano internal recorder then Audacity
Additional info:A learnt new invention after I got to really appreciate Bach with invention No 8 (last recital)

Attempting to get expressiveness in the playing balanced with the evenness that should be with Bach. One or two minor glitches. I love playing this piece with the "Church Organ" sounds of the CA67, but this is a piano recital...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:snejana
Experience:4 and a half years (self taught)
Title of piece:Bagatelle
Composer:Anton Diabelli
Duration:00:54
Source of music:The Young Pianist's Library: From Bach to Bartok, Book 1A
Instrument used:Casio PX-700 Digital Piano
Recording method:GarageBand on Mac
Additional info:This is my third recital for which I decided to record a piece by a Baroque composer. My favorite composer from the era is Bach (that is unlikely to shock anyone :)), but it is hard to find pieces of Bach on my level. I originally intended to learn Bach's Prelude in C major (which is actually far above my current level), and I made it only 3/4 in with the final sections being too challenging at this time. But then I found this Bagatelle by Diabelli from a book a had for a couple of years, but mostly forgotten as I was working on the easier pieces. The only bagatelle I knew of is Beethoven's Fur Elise, and I figured this would be a good candidate. I REALLY enjoyed learning it! Unlike the previous recital, where my choice of contemporary music sounded more difficult than it was due to heavy use of patterns, this bagatelle is the opposite. It might not sound hard at all, but its interweaving melodies in both hands can be quite a dare. I took a liberty to make tiny adjustments by changing the tempo from fast to very mellow; by deviating from suggestions of where the phrases have to be repeated, and modifying the suggested dynamics. I hope this will not offend Diabelli's fans! This is my favorite piece from what I have learned to play so far!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:barbaram
Experience:Back at it 5 years as an adult, hard to believe!
Title of piece:French Movie Waltz
Composer:Catherine Rollin
Duration:01:38
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CS8
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This is a fun piece from Catherine Rollin's "Dancing on the Keys 2" collection. The whole collection is pretty nice - pieces in various dance styles at an early intermediate level.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Kalos Piano
Experience:3 and a half
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPRrwtHG1lk
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:Minuet in B...lues
Composer:Paolo Calio
Duration:01:49
Source of music:my own composition
Instrument used:Roland FP30 plus Pianoteq D4 Blues
Recording method:built-in keyboard midi recorder plus Pianoteq
Additional info:I wanted to write a piece in the style of the minuets by Petzold/Bach, but bluesy. Here's the result. And yeah, I baiscally chose the key of B just for the sake of the title smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:3 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjxFTzKeUc
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtA0GATaWUp9IFOd6_qktBw
Title of piece:Fluttering Leaves (Op. 46, No. 11)
Composer:Stephen Heller
Duration:01:21
Source of music:RCM 6 Etude
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Same as usual. Audio out from the AvantGrand N2 into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. The audio file is then extracted and noised removed using Audacity. It's then added back into the video file using ffmpeg.
Additional info:I went back and forth on what to submit. I had submitted this first, then had a descent audio recording of Fur Elise, but changed back to this. I did record a video of Fur Elise last night (night before deadline), but I've decided to stick with this. It's a nice little etude, hasn't been submitted before, and will hopefully expand the ever growing list of different recital pieces at PianoWorld. The etude is short, so it will only consume a minute of your time, thanks for listening smile Besides, anyone can go to my YouTube channel to see the video I did last night. And it needs works anyway, haha.

I'll most likely do this piece for my RCM exam, which I'll take sometime next year. When recording this piece, I blended the sound with Pianoteq Model B Gentle setting. Let me know if it sounds weird. I often blend sounds for something different at times.

Heller wrote some really nice pieces. I hope to explore more of his work. I found the below thread on PianoStreet helpful in learning more about Heller.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,10505.0.html

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/JsoD4MY8lWA
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Moments Musicaux No. 2 (Opus 94, D 780)
Composer:Franz Schubert
Duration:06:37
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV10 with Pianist Mode "Rich"
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:The main challenge in this piece, at least for me, is to play the big chords smooth and steady, without ghost notes or uneven chords. This is made especially difficult when playing the prescribed p and pp. I'm still far from getting those done to my satisfaction. Nonetheless, even with these warts and irregularities, I thought it was ready for recital time.

Hope you like it!

(EDIT: Well, it seems that I did something right, because when I uploaded the piece to YouTube, I got a copyright complaint, that I was using copyrighted music from someone else. laugh I've disputed the claim, of course, and the dispute as already been settled, so everything is fine.)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:2 years 9 months
Title of piece:Feelin' Good
Composer:Christopher Norton
Duration:00:51
Source of music:RCM Celebration Series Level 2 - Piano Etudes
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to MIDI, rendered with Garritan CFX, normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:I love Christopher Norton's music. His pieces are fresh, educational and for all levels. For sure I will learn other pieces composed by him. Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sideshow
Experience:12 years (10 year lessons)
Title of piece:Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:56
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Feurich 179 grand
Recording method:I used an olympus recording device. It's OK but it lacks a bit in the high tones I think, the tone could be more clear, but I guess you can not expect a professional recording device for 150 euro :-)
Additional info:Preparing this piece along with 3 others for my demo exam in november 2018 and my yearly exam in june 2019. (both are public exams, so yeah, nerves...)
Playing the left hand elegant and correct, was a challenge for me in this piece.
If I would play the piece like this on my exam, I would be OK with it, but I hope it still 'grows' a bit.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Moo smile
Experience:14 years of lessons
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5js5J0lhbJM
Title of piece:Venetian Gondola Song
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:02:12
Additional info:I did not have any pieces ready for a recital. I have quickly recorded an old piece I've learnt.

There are four Venetian Gondola Songs that Mendelssohn wrote in Songs without Words. This one op 19/6 is his first and it is quite famous.

The piece is difficult as you have to project the melody in the right hand whilst playing accompaniment also in the right hand. This is a common feature in Mendelssohn so I think learning other pieces has helped. You also have to keep the accompaniment quiet.

I played this in mid 2015 in my last piano exam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNNN5GYAaIc

I recorded it again in Jan 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=1&video_id=X9Lq57wfvfE

I have not worked on it since but I have put the links if you are interested in the comparison.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:~10 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1V4Fjt5HA&feature=youtu.be
Title of piece:Sonata in F Minor "Allegro" op.2 #1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:56
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 214VC
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:This recording was made in a live "mock exam" in preparation for my ABRSM 8. This was my second piece after the technical tests (Scales, arpeggios, etc) and the Bach Gigue. So, it is definitely a recording under stress! An unfamiliar teacher was busily making notes as I played. It is one take, and has a few warts, but overall, I was pleased with how I played. May the real exam go as well!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Keselo
Experience:Nearly 2 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSHjbA71f8
Title of piece:The Sick Doll & The Doll's Funeral
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:06:47
Source of music:Sheet music published by Peters.
Instrument used:Steinbeck 130 Upright
Recording method:Two microphones connected to a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, audio captured through Audacity.
Additional info:Normally, I wouldn't submit two pieces, but I've done so now because I feel like these two pieces just must be played together. I adore both pieces, especially when played super slowly as I've done. The Funeral March especially, you normally don't hear played as slow. Perhaps there's a reason for it, and you'll be bored to bits listening to it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tyrone Slothrop
Experience:8.5 months
Home page link:https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tyrone_Slothrop
Title of piece:The Sick Doll, Op. 39 No. 7
Composer:Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:45
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-30 digital keyboard and Pianoteq STAGE/Steingraber E-272 software
Recording method:MP3 audio export file from Pianoteq STAGE
Additional info:I learned this piece back-to-back with my Tchaikovsky piece submitted for last month's Slavic Recital: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ital-october-15th-2018.html#Post2772574. I found The Sick Doll was considerably easier to learn and play than Morning Prayer, probably because of Morning Prayer's SATB form and constant harmony - just seemed like a lot of which to keep track. By contrast, The Sick Doll didn't have any any features that present difficulty and is also played at a pretty easy-going tempo. I did find The Sick Doll to be good practice for learning to bringing out the soprano melody and work on my dynamics in general. This said, now it's back to non-Slavic composers for me. I have in my possession a nice edition of Tchaikovsky's Op. 39 now, so maybe I will come back to it at some point in the future and work on some of the other Op. 39 pieces.

And a message to the poor doll's mom- your doll is in a better place now!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Qwerty53
Experience:18 months (six months with my current wonderful teacher); plus some lessons more than fifty years ago
Title of piece:Invierno
Composer:Astor Piazzolla
Duration:04:51
Source of music:Learned from sheet music, played from memory.
Instrument used:"Mister Upright," a lightly used Yamaha YUS5 that followed me home 4 months ago.
Recording method:Zoom H1, Audacity
Additional info:First time submission to an ABF Recital. I really appreciate everyone who shares their music. This piece still needs work, and the piano needs tuning, but it is what I can do today. I feel so lucky that my fantastic teacher, knowing I love Astor Piazzolla's music, encouraged me 3 months ago to believe I could learn this wonderful piece.
Invierno (Winter) is part of the suite called Four Seasons of Buenos Aires, premiered by Piazzolla and his quintet in Buenos Aires in May 1970. Lately the suite is often programmed with Vivaldi's Four Seasons, frequently using an arrangement by Leonid Desyatnikov (commissioned by Gidon Kremer for Kremerata Baltica) that -- much more than Piazzolla's original -- incorporated quotations from Vivaldi into Four Seasons of Buenos Aires. Although I prefer it without these rather literal quotations, I recognize that improvisation and the contributions of individual performers are part of what makes Piazzolla's music exciting. I am not there yet -- my recital submission is straight from the sheet music -- but this is a big step in my musical adventure!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Title of piece:Cadiz from Suite Espanola
Composer:Isaac Albeniz
Duration:03:52
Source of music:Sheet music plus
Instrument used:Yanaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I'm growing increasingly fond of Spanish music and continue finding new gems almost every week. Some time ago I listened to the Suite Espanola and decided to start studying at least a couple of the movements. "Cadiz" didn't sound so difficult, so I started with this one. It turned out to be considerably more tricky than I first thought, and I'm afraid that my performance suffers from technical shortcomings. The piece is extremely transparent, so every flaw becomes evident to the listener. I hope that you forgive me this and that I have been able to express at least a fraction of the beauty of this music.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:jotur/Cathy Turner
Experience:Couple of years of lessons in my early teens, 35 years off, playing for dancing and senior living since 1995.
Title of piece:Veterans Day Medley
Composer:Various
Duration:05:43
Source of music:Mostly by ear
Instrument used:Casio PX-160
Recording method:Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I present here the hymns and marches of the armed forces of the United States, in the order in which they were founded, with a couple of extra tunes thrown in at the end.

U.S. Army, founded June 14, 1775. The Caissons Go Rolling Along - Brigadier General Edmund L Gruber

U.S. Navy, founded October 13, 1775. Anchors Aweigh - Charles A. Zimmerman

U.S. Marines, founded November 10, 1775. The Marines' Hymn. Music: Jacques Offenbach. Lyrics: Thomas Holcomb

U.S. Coast Guard, founded August 4, 1790. Semper Paratus. Captain Francis Saltus van Boskerck

U.S. Air Force, founded as the Army Air Force July 2, 1926, as an independent entity September 18, 1947. Wild Blue Yonder. Robert Crawford

+ 2 more tunes

Most of these have gone thru various changes in their lyrics over time so the composers/lyricists are not the complete list.

I call this my Lawrence Welk set because his orchestra used to play this medley and have the members of each service who were in the audience stand up during their hymn/march. Brought the house down. Still does in senior venues. I get a little misty myself.

These are very simple versions which I tried to keep in fairly singable keys with some kind of transition between them.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Piano_primo_1
Experience:9
Video link:https://youtu.be/tHug-f5QZbo
Home page link:https://wp.me/p5jsTm-2d
Title of piece:Prelude Op 28 No. 4 in E minor
Composer:Frederick Chopin
Duration:02:36
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:PX 100 thru Pianoteq
Recording method:direct to laptop pianoteq
Additional info:Although this may sound naive to the master of music and piano,
this beautiful piece is by far the hardest piece
I have attempted to play.
The reason I found this difficult was because of the necessary pedaling [ soft and sustain] and the dynamics. -Which I realize are a fair to poor here.
The soft pedal and sustain are essential to keep it from sounding muddy and the dynamics are also hard to imitate well from hearing while playing the piece.
The ebb and flow of the emotion it creates/evokes is dramatic and of a grand , sad passing of life [event?].

I did my best at this; and it took quite a while ,
maybe 30 recordings because of the subtle chord-note-
changes . One has to read the score unless he has a super- memory.
The tempo was hard to maintain steadily, which
you will hear in this rendition.
I [in error] increased the tempo slightly during the
piece.
But nevertheless, I am satisfied because this really was more of a challenge than I anticipated and imagined.
The satisfaction I assume comes from the fact that I tackled the difficulty that originally I had thought would be an easy piece, and that satisfaction is proportional.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Experience:More than it sounds, less than it feels.
Title of piece:Lento con gran espressione
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:50
Additional info:Chopin: Lento con gran espressione (Nocturne No. 20, Op. posth.)

I've been participating in the Study Thread for this piece and responded only recently to the suggestion of submitting it to this recital (just shy of three weeks ago as I write).

This is not a difficult piece as Chopin Nocturnes go and it's very easy to memorise. None of the difficulties are such that they can't be overcome with slow and careful practise.

The biggest challenge for me here was deciding on the version to use. I've never learned a piece before that has so many published versions yet so few the same. I haven't even stayed with one version in its entirety but patched together extracts from various published editions. There were up to fourteen sheets for this at one time on my piano rack, many parts excised by coloured pencil and others double outlined as firm. It's only having memorised extracts individually that I've joined them together, and only since it was suggested in the thread that it be submitted, so I don't actually have a complete copy on paper just yet of the final version I'm playing.

The trills are among the most critical I've had to deal with as I feel they're vital to the character and the performance and of this piece. While the runs in the coda look like hard, they're actually just regular scale runs with flexible timing and the focus on different end notes. Not difficult for someone who regularly works on scales (as opposed to playing them often).

There's a central section that in all the recordings I've listened to are taken at twice the pace that's written, largely based, I think, on the scherzando passage in his 2nd Piano Concerto - but it's only from recording myself early on that I realised why I needed to follow suit - the pace lags just when it needs to pick up. The judicious use of the otherwise unoccupied RH helps maintain the rhythmic energy in this section.

There is, on top of all this, the fact that Chopin's own autograph is marked as being in cut time, takes the middle section in 3/4 time for the RH and 4/4 time in the LH, only later joining both staves in 3/4 before taking the reprise in common time (though marked a tempo primo) while in another manuscript the piece begins in common time but reprises in cut time!

I chose a gentle pace to afford more leeway in the 'gran espressione' and I think it's better than rushing anywhere. Once I'm more used to the piece I'll be able to adjust the tone to suit.

Many thanks to Craig for the idea of starting this piece and the participants in the thread who've contributed ideas. It's been a joy to research, to work on and to share the effort with others. I've not been able to enter recent recitals because of unexpected issues in the face of impending retirement. I expected a quiet year and it's not turned out that way. This piece has kept me at the piano instead of taking days off from indolence.

My gratitude, as ever, goes to the team who provide this wonderful opportunity to motivate our practise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission