Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (Akaitsuki, AaronSF, aimar, anotherscott, aphexdisklavier, Antihero, accordeur, Anglagard44, 28 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 540 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 #2781080 11/14/18 09:06 PM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 52nd quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital 52 Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #52 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 52 Zip 1
Recital 52 Zip 2
Recital 52 Zip 3
Recital 52 Zip 4
Recital 52 Zip 5
Recital 52 Zip 6
Recital 52 Zip 7
Recital 52 Zip 8

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781093 11/14/18 10:43 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:SleepyBear
Experience:about 4-5
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:My Heart Is Always By Your Side (Kokoro wa Itsumo Anata no Soba ni)
Composer:Naoya Shimokawa
Duration:04:40
Source of music:Sheet Music http://www.gangqinpu.com/html/30312.htm
Instrument used:electric keyboard
Recording method:pianoteq
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This piano piece is from White Album 2 (anime) and it represents the ideas of grey morality with cheating as the subject. The story basically puts a form of cheating into perspective, where it may seem justified. Let's say you're dating someone who emotionally manipulated you into a relationship, and then one day, your crush that you've known for years throws themselves at you; what would you do? As for the piece, it repeats on the second half and I improvised some arpeggios at the end. Overall a technically easy piece, but very expressive. Keeping this piece at an even pace is also a difficult challenge with some of the top notes of the chords needing voicing without losing tempo. There are some parts where I could've made the voicing stand out more.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781095 11/14/18 10:47 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:SMA55/Shepherd
From:Chicago originally, currently residing in St. Louis
Experience:Self-taught as a child, and then after a hiatus lasting many years, returned to piano 4 1/2 years ago and began taking classical lessons.
Video link:https://youtu.be/hC_ofGvRTVM
Title of piece:Impromptu in G Flat Major Op 90 No 3
Composer:Franz Schubert
Duration:07:04
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music
Instrument used:Steingraeber & Sohne D232
Recording method:Zoom H4n and converted to mp3 with Audacity.
Additional info:Schubert sure knew how to write a great melody. And this piece, with its long melodic lines, happens to be my favorite of all of his piano compositions. I myself find this piece to be very evocative, and it conjures nostalgic images in my mind. So the video accompaniment I used for my performance are a collection of images from my family's past. The resulting project is obviously very personal, but still I decided to share it here with my forum friends. I hope you like it.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781096 11/14/18 10:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, then self taught since December 2011
Title of piece:The Snow Prelude No.2
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:01
Source of music:'Nightbook' sheet music album
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:I'm really pleased to be the first to submit this overlooked 'Nightbook' gem to an ABF Recital. On his Facebook page Einaudi describes the 2009 album as "meditative and introspective", charting "an inward voyage through dreams and the shadows of the psyche". 'The Snow Prelude No.2' is both evocative and beautiful, but it presented me with major challenges: tricky fingering, complex rhythms, constantly changing dynamics, and a liberal sprinkling of fermata.

I eventually decided to make minor modifications to the score in a couple of my trouble spots - but only after noticing that in her solo 'Nightbook' CD album, professional pianist and piano teacher Hanna Devich had simplified these same sections. (I thought if she can do that, so can I.)

This piece really rewards serious effort. I'm enjoying the struggle/journey, coming closer to achieving the way it was meant to sound, but I'm not quite there.

Yet.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781097 11/14/18 10:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:About 65 years
Title of piece:"In the Dear Old Dumpy Days" (concluding 8 min of 60)
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:08:40
Source of music:Pure improvisation
Instrument used:Weinbach, 5'10", 1971
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Unashamedly nostalgic wallowing

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781098 11/14/18 10:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peterws
Experience:Don't go there . . .
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtD91NwArFA
Title of piece:Circular Trip
Composer:Peterws
Duration:01:56
Source of music:Sheet Music and Flat notation programme
Instrument used:FP50 plus Pianoteq Grotrian
Recording method:Pianoteq.
Additional info:Had this on my mind when I was in the process of finishing off Bach's Siciliano.
Didn't know what to call it . . . .I enjoyed the trip. It evoked something in me, I know not what. Make of it what you will! I could've done it slower, but . . . .no. That's not me . . .
Sausage and Mash plus Spaghetti (the healthy bit) for tea. Not recommended prior to gym cycle classes . . .

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781099 11/14/18 10:49 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:7+ years
Title of piece:Courante, part 3 of Suite HWV 441
Composer:Handel, Georg Friedrich
Duration:00:59
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:Handel composed thisaround 1705, he was still working in Hamburg and Italy at that time. But it was published only in 1733 when he was already a long time living in London.
My teacher didn't yet approve of my normal etude so playing here a simple piece that I played just for fun for myself.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781100 11/14/18 10:49 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Mosotti
Experience:1 year, 1 month
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTTzfsG43Y
Title of piece:Prelude in C
Composer:Bach
Duration:02:24
Instrument used:Kawai MP1SE
Additional info:Recorded at around 6 a.m. not completely awake yet, but also a perfect time because my son is not there to hit random notes in the bass while I try to play smile

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781101 11/14/18 10:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons as a child, 35 without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Petite Valse Op. 1 No. 6
Composer:Paul Juon
Duration:02:38
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with retrofit Pianodisc silent system / Galaxy Vintage D
Recording method:Silent system from MIDI out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, Savihost plugin
Additional info:I have just re-recorded this little sketch by the Russian-Swiss composer Paul Juon to replace my old 2013 tape recording on the IMSLP site. All in all, this miniature waltz published in 1898 is more difficult to play than it sounds. The left hand is quite awkward.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781102 11/14/18 10:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jerzyk19
Experience:2 years and 3 months.
As a child I used to play accordion for about 4 years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/0SNKDHT0lPU
Title of piece:Waltz in A minor B.150 Opus Posth
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:18
Instrument used:Roland LX17
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:Hello everybody.
This time I do not have anything new but as I do not want to miss recital I will post piece recorded in May this year. It supposed to be for the waltz recital at the beginning of this year but I underestimated difficulty of this piece and I was not ready for time at all. After practicing for about 5 months I was able to record it. I hope the you will enjoy it.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781103 11/14/18 10:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:bunch with some lessons years ago
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TsWHc1ZD8
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Fairwell to Summer and to a Friend
Composer:Original
Duration:04:30
Source of music:Original score
Instrument used:Young Chang grand
Recording method:digital
Additional info:While working on this farewell to summer, a good friend, fellow artist and incredible photographer, Ron Wilson, died in a crash on his way to an art show. So this piece turned into not only a farewell to summer but a goodby to my friend.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781108 11/14/18 11:08 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:sandalholme
Experience:Too many
Title of piece:Moment Musical No6
Composer:Schubert
Duration:08:31
Instrument used:Kawai ES7 using Pianoteq Petrof piano
Recording method:digital to pc
Additional info:Sat down to play this, not for this recital, and it was going well then I was interrupted at the end of the 1st section, Pianoteq somehow stayed open, so when I completed the trio and repeat of the first section I ended up with 1 midi file with a huge gap of silence in the middle. One note in the first playing of the second part of the trio section was really off so I substituted that bar from the repeat of the section. It felt that the performance was meant to be kept.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781109 11/14/18 11:09 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Video link:https://youtu.be/HqTXcwtrzjw
Title of piece:Prelude in F# Major, Op. 28 No. 13
Duration:03:20
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:When I started learning this piece, I thought the challenges would be purely technical...all the jumps and stretches in the left hand (and then eventually in the right hand). But it turned out for me the real challenge was playing sensitively. The pure technical aspects were surprisingly straightforward. I started out playing this piece like an ogre, but I think really came a long way (even if I still have a long way to go).

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781111 11/14/18 11:11 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:I can't remember at the moment!
Video link:https://youtu.be/_N6BLbPeDwk
Title of piece:Ground C minor Z.D221
Composer:Henry Purcell
Duration:03:12
Source of music:Miscellaneous Keyboard Pieces published by Stainer & Bell
Instrument used:Morley 2 manual harpsichord, 7 foot, 1969, rebuilt (by me) in 2017
Additional info:I love this piece! And its only about 325 years old, give or take a few decades. This is my first attempt at playing both manuals of the harpsichord. The upper keyboard is set to a single rank of strings with the mute on. The lower keyboard is set to 2 ranks of strings, so it is louder. I play the ground and the soft variations on the upper keyboard, and the loud variations on the lower.

The ground is a bit odd - it is a bass line that repeats over and over, but instead of being 4 or 8 measures long, it is only 3 1/2. This keeps things unpredictable, since the upper variations sometimes go past the end of the ground. Also, instead of repeating the ground 8, 16, or even 32 times, it repeats 11 times - brilliant!

After I told you all these numbers, don't sit there counting on your fingers. Leave the counting to me, and just listen!

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781112 11/14/18 11:12 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and an old as an adult, resumed regular lessons 3 years ago.
Title of piece:"October" ("The Autumn Song")
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:04:49
Source of music:Sheet music (the Schirmer edition of the "Seasons")
Instrument used:Baldwin Acrosonic upright
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:This is the same recording I submitted to the Slavic themed recital a couple of weeks ago. I was planning to record a different piece but I'm traveling next week and have a lot going on at work, and, most importantly, it's raining today, leaves are falling, so "The Autumn Song" felt like the right piece for this time of the year. As I explained in my comments for the Slavic recital, while not technically difficult, this piece is quite challenging musically in terms of the voicing, dynamics, the choices for rubato and, more generally, the big challenge is how to express its deeply melancholy mood without slipping into excessive sentimentality. There are some things about this recording I'm not 100% happy with, but it's close to what I was aiming for. I now play it mostly from memory and more freely I think, but unfortunately, have no time to work on a new recording. I hope this piece doesn't make you too depressed!

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781113 11/14/18 11:14 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:About 14 1/2 years, self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/QSNhl5t5qSs
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:The Aviators
Composer:Helen Jane Long
Duration:05:03
Source of music:Sheet music, purchased from musicnotes.com
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded with Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:I have been captivated by this piece ever since I heard the shortened version of it in the British Airways commercial, "To fly, to serve." (The commercial, which can be found here at https://youtu.be/a4JdQi60an0 , is incredibly moving and well worth watching.)

I only recently discovered that the sheet music for this beautiful piece was available, and I immediately became obsessed with learning it. The solo piano version lacks a bit of the powerful majesty of Long's recorded version, which includes strings, but it is still very pretty, I think. It also adds a bridge that is not in the recorded instrumental version.

I'm dedicating this performance to my son, Isaac, who is in his second year of a commercial aviation major at the University of North Dakota and who recently earned his private pilot's license.

I was running around doing errands and somehow managed to forget to have lunch, but I had a snack of Greek yogurt with granola mixed in at 4:00 pm.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781114 11/14/18 11:15 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:fishandchips
Experience:2 years
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-197203213
Title of piece:Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:37
Additional info:I recorded this a few months ago, and I've barely touched the piano since.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781115 11/14/18 11:16 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; four years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Elegy
Composer:Meder
Duration:02:07
Source of music:Play by ear
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavier
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:Elegy is an award-winning composition by pianist David Meder. I heard it played a couple of years ago at a piano competition and I was totally bowled over. No sheet music has been published, as far as I can tell, so this is my arrangement "by ear". I have not found any background about the inspiration for the song, but the title says a lot.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781116 11/14/18 11:16 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:PianogrlNW
Experience:I have lost track
Title of piece:Nocturne in C# Minor
Duration:03:58
Source of music:Henle sheet music
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:Thanks to the study group for inspiring me to learn this beautiful and mournful and nocturne.

Re: Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2781117 11/14/18 11:16 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:lithotriptor
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6v0JRbz2r4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2ibTCnfveKv4yInD2aYR0dByj9lMh9F3tjZfv8GMlFvN5PTOaOLSrCY6U
Title of piece:Invention No. 15 in B minor, BWV 786
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:19

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What does a big grand do for you in your home?
by Beemer - 12/15/19 12:52 PM
Played a Clavinova at the PianoBuddies recital
by Rickster - 12/15/19 11:53 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,673
Posts2,901,943
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission