2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (BachToTheFuture, CyberGene, Deltajockey, 3x4rt, Dazzie2, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, 10 invisible), 394 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How do you deal with volume over headphones?
#2779701 11/10/18 05:51 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all

Since trialing pianoteq ive become aware that i am struggling with volume issues over headphones.

Basically the crux of the issue is that to play over the full dynamic range of the piano, forte should be loud right. If it was a real accoustic, forte would fill the room with sound. Also playing loud would make the piano sound brighter.

However over headphones I cant achieve this, because having the earphones directly over the ears I cant have the volume high enough.

How does one deal with this issue? I played a real accoustic for a few minutes the other day and immediatly noticed this as the main difference.

In practice it means that i generally play at one volume all the time over headphones. Because even playing quietly on a real piano is quite loud, but over headphones playing quietly is too quiet. So I turn the volume up to properly hear quiet play, which prohibits loud play even more.

Re: How do you deal with volume over headphones?
danlightbulb #2779705 11/10/18 06:06 AM
J
Online Content
J
It sounds like you are experiencing the dynamic range to be too wide with headphones. Have you tried to decrease the dynamic slider in pianoteq? You could also try to set the velocity to a lighter touch. That will make you reach the brighter end of the sound more easily. Another option is to experiment with the hammer hardness at the softer dynamics (p, mf)

Last edited by johanibraaten; 11/10/18 06:07 AM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
danlightbulb #2779708 11/10/18 06:24 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I practice exclusively wearing headphones (AvantGrand N3) and I never encounter the issues you have.

I'm inclined to think you have the dynamic range setting greater than what it should be.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
danlightbulb #2779758 11/10/18 10:37 AM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I just read a paper on MIDI dynamic range calculations in DPs. Very interesting. The average dynamic range available is about 60dB, which is vastly greater than what a typical pianist playing an acoustic grand uses, which is about 25dB. This data can be confirmed by checking dynamic range databases for uncompressed recordings available on the internet.

Remember that a range of playing of 25dB requires 316 times the ‘energy’ input from you from softest to loudest.

I suggest, as others have, reducing the dynamic range to the level that mimics, to your ears, what you heard when playing the acoustic piano.

prout #2779769 11/10/18 11:31 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by prout
The average dynamic range available [from a digital piano] is about 60dB, which is vastly greater than what a typical pianist playing an acoustic grand uses, which is about 25dB. This data can be confirmed by checking dynamic range databases for uncompressed recordings available on the internet.

This is quite surprising and very interesting to know.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
prout #2779789 11/10/18 12:57 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I suggest, as others have, reducing the dynamic range to the level that mimics, to your ears, what you heard when playing the acoustic piano.

I suppose manually "adjusting dynamic range" most effective if the average "volume" is set to replicate that of our grand piano.

If we decide to play the headphones at lower "volumes" things get more complicated as we don't hear the same way (e.g. bass would need to be boosted re Fletcher Munson Curve). Maybe just running a bit of EQ bass boost at lower volumes makes things a bit more realistic.

Of course the VI recording mics are not so perfect and the VI producers likely use some compression to make the VI more usable. And the headphones are not so perfect. So nailing down dynamic range is tough. Regardless, headphone simplify a lot of acoustic & electronic issues so pretty good results are relatively easy (vs. loudspeaker setup).

danlightbulb #2779854 11/10/18 04:22 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the replies.

The issue lies in the fact that even when played quietly, a piano is still a loud instrument - sound still resonates around the room. You feel it in your body not just in the ears. I can't replicate that through headphones, so for quiet playing I still want the sound to feel quite loud. This then prohibits playing loudly because it would damage my ears.

Also Ive noticed that the high notes played loudly, sound louder than the bass notes played loudly. So to get bass resonance 'feeling' the volume needs to be higher, but then the treble is too loud. Can't seem to fix this with EQ because it doesn't apply at lower volumes, where the treble is then not loud enough.

danlightbulb #2779860 11/10/18 04:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well you could take another tack:

- Get some closed-back headphones that emphasize bass fq response. Some are designed with huge bass humps

- You could also run a transducer to vibrate the digital piano case a bit on lower frequencies

- You could run a dynamic EQ. That will adjust emphasis based on "volume". I think this free plugin does that but can't remember. There are other plugins that do the same :

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

danlightbulb #2779873 11/10/18 05:32 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by danlightbulb
Thanks for the replies.

The issue lies in the fact that even when played quietly, a piano is still a loud instrument - sound still resonates around the room. You feel it in your body not just in the ears. I can't replicate that through headphones, so for quiet playing I still want the sound to feel quite loud. This then prohibits playing loudly because it would damage my ears.

Also Ive noticed that the high notes played loudly, sound louder than the bass notes played loudly. So to get bass resonance 'feeling' the volume needs to be higher, but then the treble is too loud. Can't seem to fix this with EQ because it doesn't apply at lower volumes, where the treble is then not loud enough.
There are several factors involved in perceived dynamic levels. As newer_player mentioned, our hearing frequency response changes as the volume changes. In one respect, this should have no effect on how we hear an acoustic or a digital piano, if they both produce frequency matched acoustic output. Your ears evolved to have a a peak response between 3000 and 4000Hz, or about G7 to C8.

The other factor is that a piano, even a concert grand, produces very little energy below 100Hz, and next to no energy at all below 60Hz. An S&S D concert grand soundboard has a low frequency resonant mode of about 60 Hz, or C2. Below that the soundboard is incapable of producing significant response to the low frequency strings, so most of the lower frequency energy is lost to vibration and a little directly to the air from the string. This is easily shown on an FFT of a low note.

So, any attempt to EQ the DPs output will be unrealistic. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try it however. The result may be more satisfying, even if unreal.

Additional physical vibration is something, I gather, that some DPs are starting to offer.

prout #2779896 11/10/18 06:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[quote=danlightbulb]The other factor is that a piano, even a concert grand, produces very little energy below 100Hz, and next to no energy at all below 60Hz.

Indeed. A grand piano produces just a bit of these low frequencies, which I suppose we perceive with our ears and maybe feel with our body also. Headphones can't reproduce those low frequencies and "visceral sensations".

A transducer vibrating the case is used in some Yamaha AvantGrand pianos to provide some of those "visceral sensations" but I am not sure how much that really helps. You can DIY one with a little amp for the cost of a few light bulbs to see if it works for you.

A good loudspeakers/subwoofer setup can run pretty flat to 20Hz. It improves the piano experience but is expensive and requires a lot of set-up. Frankly, that effort makes a more meaningful difference for recorded music or action movies.

These days I just use some Japanese headphones with big 70mm drivers for good low fq response.

danlightbulb #2779914 11/10/18 07:32 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Just been messing around on the piano again.

I think the problem i have underpinning all this superficial stuff is that I dont know how I want my piano to sound.

I was just playing two pieces. I giorni which should sound very beautiful and warm, and The Entertainer which should sound old and western.

Ive been trying my hardest to find a pianoteq sound which makes I giorni sound good and I cant. Even the piano presets labelled as warm dont seem to sound right, because it sounds muffled, as if the piano has a blanket wrapped round it. But if i go for a brighter piano then it loses all the warm undertones and beauty that it should have.

With the ragtime piece ive been experimenting with the honky tonk sounds but as im not familiar with those types of pianos i dont know how it should sound. With a standard piano it feels like the ragtime is missing something.

danlightbulb #2779921 11/10/18 08:03 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dan ... you're hearing in Pianoteq what I've been hearing for years.

You describe it as being wrapped in a blanket.
I describe it as a piano that's just not "here". It's somewhere else.

I've never liked Pianoteq. I've had great hopes, but they've been dashed time and again.
Meanwhile I have a BIG bunch of sampled VSTs that sound better. Those are what I use.

After being disappointed with versions Pianoteq 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 I no longer expect anything good from it.

So ... have you tried any of the many sampled VST libraries?

MacMacMac #2779926 11/10/18 08:23 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

No because they dont seem to be available as demos, and are expensive. Do you know of any I can get in demo/ trial mode?

This is the kind of sound id like for ragtime:
https://youtu.be/EEfsLzwTCxM
Skip to about 1:20.

Last edited by danlightbulb; 11/10/18 08:26 PM.
danlightbulb #2779937 11/10/18 09:21 PM
K
K
I have the exact same issue and it’s why I finally bought a grand. At lessons I could never properly translate dynamics to the grand without a lot of practice on it after solely practicing on digitals. I’m playing more complicated classical works so this may not be a problem for everyone.

danlightbulb #2779969 11/11/18 03:04 AM
Well, most VSTs are no more expensive than Pianoteq. I don't know of any with a demo, but there are gobs of videos online to give you a feel for the sound quality.
Originally Posted by danlightbulb
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
No because they dont seem to be available as demos, and are expensive. Do you know of any I can get in demo/ trial mode?

newer player #2779989 11/11/18 05:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
[quote=danlightbulb]The other factor is that a piano, even a concert grand, produces very little energy below 100Hz, and next to no energy at all below 60Hz.

Indeed. A grand piano produces just a bit of these low frequencies, which I suppose we perceive with our ears and maybe feel with our body also. Headphones can't reproduce those low frequencies and "visceral sensations".

Naturally HPs can't make your body shake (though sometimes the HPs shake on your head. :D).
Mine can play frequencies down to 25Hz w/o much problems and the DT880 aren't even expensive high end.

As for the volume issues: yeah, if you have sensitive ears and good headphones, the high notes are going to sting at higher volumes. There is no way around that, because these notes sting on a real grand too. When my teacher digs into her grand, it is completely and entirely too loud for comfort.

Still not as bad as a piccolo in octave 2+ though... that's one mean S.O.B. mandating earplugs. >.<

IMHO, you have to do a translation in your head. Be aware that you are practicing on HPs and that they are quieter than the real deal and then adjust accordingly when playing the grand.

Only other options I see would be
a) get a good speaker setup
b) get an acoustic

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
danlightbulb #2780252 11/11/18 11:47 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Does anyone else get a rather harsh overtone around the range of a couple of octaves above middle C?

I hope it's nothing wrong with my ears. I get it off my acoustic a bit, I'm just thinking - is this what you describe as "sting"? That's a good description.

I don't get it from all pianos, but some recordings and pianos it is most prevalent. Sometimes even with just one or two particular notes. It kind of makes me want to roll off that particular frequency with a notch filter or something.

Other people don't seem to be able to hear it when I ask them, so I was worried it was something wrong with my hearing.

Zaphod #2780305 11/12/18 07:06 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Does anyone else get a rather harsh overtone around the range of a couple of octaves above middle C?

I hope it's nothing wrong with my ears. I get it off my acoustic a bit, I'm just thinking - is this what you describe as "sting"? That's a good description.

I don't get it from all pianos, but some recordings and pianos it is most prevalent. Sometimes even with just one or two particular notes. It kind of makes me want to roll off that particular frequency with a notch filter or something.

Other people don't seem to be able to hear it when I ask them, so I was worried it was something wrong with my hearing.

Yes, I also hear some "stinging" overtones on the CA98 (especially on the 5th octave and with headphones) and even on PianoTeq. Some overtones sound "stronger" on the acoustic grand I play in lessons, especially when the main lid is partially open (I usually play it just with the front lid folded back)...

prout #2780487 11/12/18 07:50 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
The other factor is that a piano, even a concert grand, produces very little energy below 100Hz, and next to no energy at all below 60Hz.

Yes, but we do hear something when we press keys in the lowest couple octaves -- we hear the overtones.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
JohnSprung #2780491 11/12/18 08:15 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
The other factor is that a piano, even a concert grand, produces very little energy below 100Hz, and next to no energy at all below 60Hz.

Yes, but we do hear something when we press keys in the lowest couple octaves -- we hear the overtones.

Absolutely, and it is precisely the relative amplitudes of the partials (overtones) that allow us to identify the notes as being C1 or B0, and not C2 and B1, even though the fundamental frequency is essentially missing in C1 and B0.

The point in this discussion, is that the neither the speakers nor headphones need to have extended low frequency response, because there is nothing to reproduce. I say that, but my headhones used for my DPs have good low frequency response.

Nevertheless, I clearly hear, with effort, the fundamental of C2 (~65Hz) and feel the fundamental vibration of C1 on my 7’ AG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission