Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (AndrewJCW, BeeZee4, anotherscott, Ankee, 90125, Abdol, Antihero, Álvaro, Alex Hutor, 21 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? #2779806
11/10/18 01:47 PM
11/10/18 01:47 PM
F
Francois Gagnon Offline OP
Francois Gagnon  Offline OP
F

Hi!

My beloved Yamaha DC3's disklavier controller unit just exploded! It made a big "Pow!!" and then nothing.... I still hear the piano click when I turn it on, but there is nothing appearing on the screen and it's unresponsive. I've been using it mostly as a midi controller for the piano as I have my laptop connected to it anyways but I use it quite a lot with Sibelius and other software (I am an IT guy in addition to being an accomplished pianist, so I use both world together extensively...)

So.... I've read everywhere in the Yamaha world on the internet that the replacement unit, the DKC850, can only be connected to a Mark II disklavier through the MIDI port of the the existing unit that just blew. Is there anything else that I can use as a replacement unit? I've tried to find a used DKC100R but nobody sells them, understandably.... if they work and there is no replacement for it, why would someone do this unless the piano is totally destroyed?

My piano is an excellent instrument, the piano I dreamt of during all my years of study. It's action is fast, has a deep bass, even my piano tuner is in love! I don't want to sell it! But this really bugs me. It's a grey market piano, so Yamaha won't do anything to support it, which is really stupid as it's an excellent instrument so why would have someone thrown it to the garbage because it comes from another continent? (all that continent humidity thing is total bullshit by the way!)

So? Is there any replacement units somewhere, or is there anything that can upgrade it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2779918
11/10/18 07:40 PM
11/10/18 07:40 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Try calling Yamaha and asking them what they can offer.

Semipro Tech
Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: BDB] #2779948
11/10/18 10:39 PM
11/10/18 10:39 PM
F
F

Tried that... they sent me to heck. They asked me first for my piano serial number to "check the exsct device" I needed and then "Your piano is not supported"

... I already figured that one out . They didn't have to tell me.... I was not calling for support, I was calling to buy something at last...

So this is why I'm asking here in case someone had better luck or found a solution.

Last edited by Francois Gagnon; 11/10/18 10:42 PM.
Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2779993
11/11/18 05:53 AM
11/11/18 05:53 AM
T
tintinlad Offline
tintinlad  Offline
T

Hi,
Ive got a DKC-500R thats i don't use but i don't know if it would work on your piano. Try contacting adrian thomas he knows so much. .. He could advise you wisely...

http://www.adrianthomas.net/index.html

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: tintinlad] #2779997
11/11/18 06:42 AM
11/11/18 06:42 AM
T
tintinlad Offline
tintinlad  Offline
T

and the adding of a DKC850 in my case was a very very nice touch. .. maybe there is a way for you as well.

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2780055
11/11/18 11:32 AM
11/11/18 11:32 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Have you opened the electronics to see what you can find? Do you happen to know an electronics repair technician?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: terminaldegree] #2780087
11/11/18 01:08 PM
11/11/18 01:08 PM
F
F

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Have you opened the electronics to see what you can find? Do you happen to know an electronics repair technician?

I have not, maybe I should.

Maybe I was afraid it would void the warranty! lmao!

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2780102
11/11/18 01:44 PM
11/11/18 01:44 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
It sounds like it might be a blown capacitor. That seems to be the problem of modern electronics.

Semipro Tech
Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2804270
01/20/19 06:45 AM
01/20/19 06:45 AM
T
TonyDecap Offline
TonyDecap  Offline
T

My DKC100R also stopped working. I can switch it on and the LCD lights up, but no chars in the display, no play response, no midi-in/out functionality.

My main use is through midi, so the disk/play is not that important to me. But the Midi-in is most important.

I did not find a new or used DKC100R (I'm still in the market if someone can help me with this), and Yamaha service/help has been 0%, no answer what so ever.

But I know Wayne Stahnke, the inventor of the LX Live Performance piano systems, and he helped me with the schematics of my Disklavier MarkII. Having the schematics is not a real solution in every case, as in most cases you will need dedicated spare parts, and with the service of Yamaha, well, I wish you luck.

But for me, it provided a solution. In the schematics I noticed that the midi I/O circuitry from the DKC100R midi ports are the same as the rec/play data going to/from the DKC100R and the piano electronics. By connecting a simple midi connector to the 9-pin D-sub connector, the piano responds 100% to midi-in/out (with the 500ms. delay, no real throughput).

D-sub connections are: 1: P.SW(+), 2 P.SW(-), 3: GND, 4: REC+, 5: REC-, 6: PLAY-, 7: PLAY+, 8: PS+, 9: GND. So 4/5 is midi out, 6/7 is midi in. You can connect the two midi wires wrongly without risk, if not working, reverse the 2 wires.

So my piano is up and running again without the DKC100R (currently I still use it to switch the piano on/off, but this is probably a simple cross-wire connection in the same D-sub connector).

Of coarse, I understand that this is not the complete solution, because the DKC100R is also used to (re)program the disklavier system in various ways. If I had a working DKC100R then I could analyze the data that the DKC100R transmits during the different Edit/Setup functions. That could be put into a little processor box with a display and midi-I/O (which I have done hundreds of times for my various midi projects) and that box could end up as a perfect replacement for the DKC100R. But it would take some time and development cost of a few thousand US$. Maybe if enough people have this problem and chip in, we could get such a project on the road. Just saying...

As the DKC850 is a replacement for the DKC100R, but ONLY by use of the midi ports, this light be a solution if you need/want play functionality. However, I do not know if the DKC850 replaces also the DKC100R if you need to edit the MarkII's setup. That with my fix would be a complete solution, but probably not...

Any way, I hope that this information is helpful to someone.

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2805857
01/24/19 10:30 AM
01/24/19 10:30 AM
Japan
P
Pro-TAC Offline
Pro-TAC  Offline
P

Japan
The LCD of the DKC100 frequently breaks down due to capacitor leakage. If the capacitor(4.7μ35V--->4.7μ/50V) is replaced and the through hole is energized, it may be fixed.
And do the initialize for midi system parameter. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLocTpPgJmZFRsFv9

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2807471
01/27/19 05:37 PM
01/27/19 05:37 PM
T
TonyDecap Offline
TonyDecap  Offline
T

Hi Pro-Tac,
Thanks a lot, two new 4.7μ63V cap's fixed the display problem! I did not understand the "and the through hole is energized" part (probably because I'm a Belgian... but I do know a lot about chocolate and beer though :-), but it works.
My piano is out on rent, so I can not test it on the Disklavier itself, but I connected a small 4amp 5v power supply and the display shows welcome, bye screen and also OK when going into setup mode. I do get very strange chars when the disk is attempting to power up, with reboots all the time. But this is probably due to the not enough amps from my little power supply. I'll try it on the Disklavier asap.

As said, my Disklavier is out on rent with my fix which is a simple D-sub connector with 2 midi plugs sticking out. And as I suspected, the power up is a simple crosswire between P.SW+ and P.SW-. Just a caution: previously I stated that the D-sub connections are:
1: P.SW(+), 2 P.SW(-), 3: GND, 4: REC+, 5: REC-, 6: PLAY-, 7: PLAY+, 8: PS+, 9: GND.

But this is inside on the board side. The D-sub connector itself has the following connections:
1: REC+, 2: PwSup (from piano to DKC100R), 3: GND, 4: P.SW-, 5: PLAY-, 6: REC-, 7: GND, 8: P.SW+, 9: PLAY+

Re: Where can I get a Yamaha DKC100R or replacement? [Re: Francois Gagnon] #2807542
01/27/19 10:29 PM
01/27/19 10:29 PM
Japan
P
Pro-TAC Offline
Pro-TAC  Offline
P

Japan
>TonyDecap
Belgian beer is so tasty. I also like it.And sorry for my bad English.
Supply voltage to the controller must be 8-9 v.
Please confirm the conduction of the through hole on both sides of the board.
Sometime leaked liquid cuts the hole.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TkqLebAFdC6XbSyK7

Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hey! What if...? (another meta thread)
by malkin. 10/20/19 04:56 PM
MP7SE Additional sounds question
by varignet. 10/20/19 03:11 PM
Spartacus Love Theme by Grusin - Last version
by foster12. 10/20/19 02:47 PM
Your lie in April: helping or harming classical music?
by Ijustplaypiano. 10/20/19 01:33 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,634
Posts2,881,413
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission