Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
126 registered members (bennevis, Bobby Badd, Agent88, aeroseb, Balezin Dmitry, almo82, 32 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano #2778484
11/05/18 04:42 PM
11/05/18 04:42 PM
E
edwardmatt83 Offline OP
edwardmatt83  Offline OP
E

Hello,

My family is considering buying a Yamaha Silent Piano - specifically a B3 silent version. We currently have a Yamaha T118 upright that we bought about 10 years ago for $3700. We are dealing with the same shop we bought it from so they are giving us full trade in value for our old piano - so the B3 silent will be $9000-$3700 so $5300 + tax. We're under the impression that the B3 will be a slight step up from the T118 and offer us the silent feature which we really like.

We don't have a lot of space for a 2nd digital piano. 2 of our kids are taking lessons and it is hard to find practice time for them because we have younger kids that are sleeping when practice time is available. Also my wife can never practice because someone is always sleeping during her free time. And she can't stand the feel of digital pianos. The silent piano seems like the best option for us.

I'm just curious what others thoughts are. I can't find a lot of reviews on the B3 silent piano. We were able to try it out in the store and came away very impressed with it. Also does the price seem reasonable?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2778497
11/05/18 05:09 PM
11/05/18 05:09 PM
S
Snail Offline
Snail  Offline
S

I don't know where are you from.

In Europe b3 sells for around 5000€ . silent ads 1500.

Taxes included.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: Snail] #2778501
11/05/18 05:18 PM
11/05/18 05:18 PM
E
edwardmatt83 Offline OP
edwardmatt83  Offline OP
E

I'm in the USA - specifically Utah.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2778504
11/05/18 05:24 PM
11/05/18 05:24 PM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
8 Octaves  Offline

USA
Yamaha has eliminated the T line in the USA while re-introduced the B line from EU and Asia to the US. You are basically buying the same piano again. I would not call this a step up, more like a replacement. There is nothing wrong with replacing a relatively new 10-year-old Yamaha with the same thing plus silent feature as long as you are fine with paying $6000 for the silent feature. The silent feature is worth no more than $3000 in my mind, but of course, from the dealer's point of view, they obviously have to buy your current B3/T118 which is why you have to pay so much to add the silent feature. To actually step up, it would be the U1-Silent.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2778511
11/05/18 05:43 PM
11/05/18 05:43 PM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

8 Octaves  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83
We don't have a lot of space for a 2nd digital piano. 2 of our kids are taking lessons and it is hard to find practice time for them because we have younger kids that are sleeping when practice time is available. Also my wife can never practice because someone is always sleeping during her free time. And she can't stand the feel of digital pianos. The silent piano seems like the best option for us.

Years ago, I went to my dealer with the same problem. The sale person I met was more focused on having a happy customer than a sales transaction, and his advice to me was I didn't need silent practice for the children. Practice while the children are sleeping. Practice away he said. He had children too. Children are very flexible, and they will soon learn to enjoy the sound of piano playing while they sleep. Well, reluctantly, I tried it, and my children told me they sleep just fine. Now they are teenagers they have no problem with piano practice at any time of the day or night. The only problem now is the spouse who says, can you not play the piano right now? I'm trying to watch a movie! Turned out silent practice is not for children. It's for the adults!

Oh, that salesman who gave me the great advice, I eventually bought a new 6' Yamaha grand piano from him. I definitely appreciated the fact that he was not transactional, and gave me the opportunity to keep returning to the store.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2778552
11/05/18 07:43 PM
11/05/18 07:43 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
Lady Bird  Online Content
L

North Vancouver
The B3 is made by a Yamaha factory in indonesia .The cabinet is the
same as the old U1 .I have tried the new U1 and the B3 in the same
store .Of course I preferred the tone of the U1. I thought the touch or
action to be similar .The price of the new U1 has risen lately .
I also tried in the same store the regular U1 and the silent U1 and noticed the silent U1 seemed to be always out of tune ?This perhaps
was coincidence. ,I do not know .
I noticed a difference in the response of a silent U1 .I was playing without the silent feature. It seemed that the
regular U1 was much more responsive and sensitive when playing softly for example .So does the silent feature on these pianos affect
the action on these pianos? If so it would be the same for the B3 .
I just thought I would share my experience with playing these different pianos .
Another thing is that there have been major improvements in digital
pianos. For example the Roland LX 17 is made of wood and feels
very much the same as an accoustic piano when playing it .The keys are not slippery plastic either .From what I remember the price is about the same as the B3

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2778571
11/05/18 08:28 PM
11/05/18 08:28 PM
raleigh, nc
JazzPianoOnline Offline
JazzPianoOnline  Offline

raleigh, nc
In my opinion the B3 is a charming little upright. It has a warm sound that I find very approachable. To me it sounds nothing like the T series which i always found harsh. I think the B3 is an upgrade from the T series and along with the Silent feature provides you with A LOT of benefits beyond just being able to play silently.

The Silent features provides you with full MIDI access allowing you to hook up the piano to a computer/ipad to interface with teaching/sequencing/notation etc. apps that your kids will grow into and provide them the opportunity to do so much with music other than play acoustically (as if that wasn't enough!).

I have a silent piano and use it all the time with apps like musescore, notateme, piano marvel, note trainer, just to name a few.

AND if you buy the MDBT01 wireless MIDI interface you can do all of this wirelessly!

I am in no way affiliated with a dealer or Yamaha, just a very satisfied and enthusiastic user of their products.

I'm happy to help with anything as you make your decision!

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2779103
11/07/18 07:56 PM
11/07/18 07:56 PM
Kentucky
M
MH1963 Offline

Silver Subscriber
MH1963  Offline

Silver Subscriber
M

Kentucky
Please consider a different approach.

When my son was young, I tried to play very quietly. I worried about keeping him awake, since the only time I could practice was after he went to bed. I had a yucky old grand that sounded like a cat fight, and I was a beginner, so you know it was bad.

I asked him one day if I was keeping him awake. He astounded me with this. “No, Mom, I like it. I know when I hear you, that everyone’s home and things are okay.”

I guess that’s the 5 year old version of “All’s right with the world.”

So if you want a different piano, then get one, but it’s possible that those resting might not mind it, or just may become able to sleep without complete silence, which is a good thing. Just don’t practice the real poundy stuff late at night.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A
[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli
Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2779195
11/08/18 06:01 AM
11/08/18 06:01 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
I have recently tried playing Yamaha Silent upright, I think it was U1. After pressing down the pedal enabling Silent system something very wrong has happened to the keyboard. The range of motion of the keys became much smaller and the keybed became hard as stone. In my opinion it was awful, beware.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2779261
11/08/18 11:21 AM
11/08/18 11:21 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I have recently tried playing Yamaha Silent upright, I think it was U1. After pressing down the pedal enabling Silent system something very wrong has happened to the keyboard. The range of motion of the keys became much smaller and the keybed became hard as stone. In my opinion it was awful, beware.

I must say this is the first time I read about that problem in Yamaha, people always said that Yamaha never had that action problem with silent option. I am with one leg in Kawai shop for Kawai k500 aures, never heard for Kawai problems either. Now I must definitely try before buy silent piano.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2779280
11/08/18 01:03 PM
11/08/18 01:03 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
I tried the Kawai K500 silent during my search for a new piano. I was able to notice a difference between the feel of the keys when playing silent vs non-silent, but I would say it was slight and would have been acceptable for me. In the end I decided to go a different route, but it was not because I found the silent feature unacceptable.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: edwardmatt83] #2779325
11/08/18 03:34 PM
11/08/18 03:34 PM
A
Agent88 Online content
Agent88  Online Content
A

I've read that their grands have the only silent system that does not change the feel at all. Would be curious now whether anyone contradicts this. As I'm surprised to hear this about the uprights.

Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: slobajudge] #2779513
11/09/18 09:59 AM
11/09/18 09:59 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by slobajudge

I must say this is the first time I read about that problem in Yamaha, people always said that Yamaha never had that action problem with silent option. I am with one leg in Kawai shop for Kawai k500 aures, never heard for Kawai problems either. Now I must definitely try before buy silent piano.

I noticed this on Yamaha U1 and U3 models when trying silent models as well. I didn't find it as dramatic as Laraslov did but there was a reduction in the range of motion and accompanying reduction in dynamics available which rapidly confirmed my preference for a conventional acoustic.

None of the ones I tried were current models so it is possible the 'latest and greatest' silent systems work without compromising performance - you'll just have to try and judge each piano on their merits not what the advertising literature says :-)

Last edited by gwing; 11/09/18 10:01 AM.
Re: Considering a Yamaha Silent Piano [Re: slobajudge] #2779548
11/09/18 01:19 PM
11/09/18 01:19 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by slobajudge

Yes, better you try it first. I have a Yamaha silent U1 and IMO the silent feature definitely affects the touch negatively and also on acoustic mode.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Corea Mashes Scarlatti and Kern
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 02:29 PM
Used upright Wurlitzer vs. Guild
by Mikka.kate. 11/20/18 01:34 PM
Feature Heip
by kmdmb. 11/20/18 12:03 PM
VPC1 Does not play iPad
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 10:12 AM
Most new pianos sold?
by j&j. 11/20/18 09:25 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,430
Posts2,762,889
Members91,533
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission