Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Angelos58, clothearednincompo, Beemer, cathryn999, Beowulf, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, Alex C, Agent88, 14 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Rickster] #2778103
11/04/18 02:45 PM
11/04/18 02:45 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
This is purely conjecture. Exam results tell a story .
Are you one of those teachers that hide behind exam results?

Not sure I'm following this thread correctly, and sometimes threads do tend to wonder on PW; but when I read these comments I thought about a story I saw on the TV new magazine program "60 Minutes" several weeks ago.

The 60 Minutes reporter was interviewing Paul McCartney, one of the former Beatles. What I found rather startling, but not surprising, was that Paul McCartney said he could not read or write music notation. He said he had the music in his head. He also said once the Beatles became popular as a band others would write and record the music notation to their many hit songs.

So, I reckon that Paul McCartney would likely not have passed any music exams. Yet, he is one of the most famous musicians of all time and a multi-billionaire as a result of it.

Music is more than any exam results, in my view. If you enjoy making music, whether you read music or not, it is wonderful thing...

Also, to keep my comments on topic, buy the piano you like best, and not one that someone else likes best. smile

Just a few thoughts.

Rick

I agree it's about making music but op said she felt her kids teacher was demanding a Steinways M for her boys to practice on.This now has
evolved into a battle ground of music teachers .Some feel that you absolutely cannot become an advanced piano pupil on an upright piano? I believe a grand would be best for advanced students but if not possible a good upright is possible for a pupil to become advanced as a pianist .I mentioned exams ,for many students they
are goals .All students need goals .,but this could be festivals ,venues to play at ,church concerts. Uprights or grands?Its what a family can afford and where they live .
I am retired now so I really should not get into battles with other piano teachers .At this stage in life I prefer peace of mind rather than arguing with egotistical music teachers .

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778130
11/04/18 04:01 PM
11/04/18 04:01 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I am retired now so I really should not get into battles with other piano teachers .At this stage in life I prefer peace of mind rather than arguing with egotistical music teachers .

Lady Bird, if it is any consolation, I recently retired from my job as a technical college instructor (October 1st, 2018). Before that I was on family medical leave to help take care of my wife of 42 years due to a serious illness. She has been disabled for many years due to her illness and I made her a promise years ago that I'd do everything within my power to keep her out of a nursing home. And, I intend to keep that promise as long as possible.

So, I do indeed know exactly what you mean regarding peace of mind and peace within our hearts; it is something that money can't buy. During difficult times we realize what is really important in life.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Lady Bird] #2778139
11/04/18 04:18 PM
11/04/18 04:18 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
This now has
evolved into a battle ground of music teachers .Some feel that you absolutely cannot become an advanced piano pupil on an upright piano?

If that is what you got out of this thread, you need to improve your English comprehension skills.

So you also resort to name-calling. Wow!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778147
11/04/18 04:27 PM
11/04/18 04:27 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Sorry for rattling your cage !

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Rickster] #2778163
11/04/18 04:53 PM
11/04/18 04:53 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver

Lady Bird, if it is any consolation, I recently retired from my job as a technical college instructor (October 1st, 2018). Before that I was on family medical leave to help take care of my wife of 42 years due to a serious illness. She has been disabled for many years due to her illness and I made her a promise years ago that I'd do everything within my power to keep her out of a nursing home. And, I intend to keep that promise as long as possible.

So, I do indeed know exactly what you mean regarding peace of mind and peace within our hearts; it is something that money can't buy. During difficult times we realize what is really important in life.

All the best,

Rick

Thank you I should have read that before that last comment I made .I
really should escape from situations like this rather than get into
this kind of arguing. .
I am thankful you told us this story it is moving and one realises what is important in life .Thank you .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/04/18 04:54 PM.
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Lady Bird] #2778238
11/04/18 08:37 PM
11/04/18 08:37 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri

All the best,

Rick

Thank you I should have read that before that last comment I made .I
really should escape from situations like this rather than get into
this kind of arguing. .
I am thankful you told us this story it is moving and one realises what is important in life .Thank you .

Agree-Rickster knows what is important in life!

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778243
11/04/18 08:45 PM
11/04/18 08:45 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
I am sorry AZN piano that this got so out of hand .In another
world we may have respected each other .
That last comment I made is insulting. Strangely enough I have
never said that to anyone before .Just recently learnt it on the
internet.!
I am new on the internet and piano world so this is a bit of a strange
place for me . Peace !

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778250
11/04/18 09:30 PM
11/04/18 09:30 PM
North of Los Angeles
L
Learux Offline
Learux  Offline
L

North of Los Angeles
[Linked Image]

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Lady Bird] #2778724
11/06/18 12:09 PM
11/06/18 12:09 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
hello my name is  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Originally Posted by hello my name is
My teacher never brought up "needing" a grand, ever.

Yikes!

I always bother my advanced students to upgrade to a grand piano if they are practicing on inferior uprights. You do realize that some advanced techniques are impossible to achieve on an upright.

I have had gr10 Royal Conservatoire students finish this grade very well on
an upright piano .It is possible for such advanced grade students to progress as long as the piano is reasonable. Of course a grand is better as long it is a reasonable length but some families are not able
to upgrade .

AZN- I have heard this, something about key repetition, but only on Piano Forum. What advanced techniques are you speaking of that are "impossible"? It's possible I never had repertoire that had any of those advanced techniques and was simply did not get that advanced yet! Or maybe that's why things were easier when I played my teacher's grand but I really did not notice much.

Lady Bird- I finished grade 10 in CM, perhaps similar repertoire requirements?

I think we ought to give Lady Bird the benefit of the doubt that she's not hiding behind grade results as it escalated from there. Grades are useful inasmuch as they give us a general idea of what kind of music the student is playing, which is important in this discussion of whether a "grand piano is needed ASAP" for this OP! Currently we have two possibilities, they may need it in the future when they get to an advanced level as certain repertoire may require it, or they may likely not need it at all. *need* being the operative word here. also perhaps we need to define *advanced*.

*group hug*

Piano Teacher in Training
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778730
11/06/18 12:25 PM
11/06/18 12:25 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

California
*edit*
The repertoire I was playing was likely Henle level 6, I searched some of the pieces I had problems with and they are 7s. (was it the piano all along???? ;P..... half kidding)

http://www.classicalmusicdb.com/levels/view/Henle/piano/6

Looks like many of these characterized as level 6 in Henle pieces are suited for RCM level 9-10-11. ABSRM appears to have a numbering scale closer to RCM.

It's likely I have never gotten to the level that AZN is speaking of where I would notice impossibilities on my upright smile It's also possible that if I had been a more serious student and had more years of piano lessons to go with her before leaving to college (i was one of my teacher's less serious students ... music was NOT in my professional or academic future.. I have only recently rediscovered it) she may have suggested a grand. I suppose I could always go ask her. Is this reasonable? Now I have an excuse to buy a grand piano?

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778777
11/06/18 02:38 PM
11/06/18 02:38 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
AZN- I have heard this, something about key repetition, but only on Piano Forum. What advanced techniques are you speaking of that are "impossible"? It's possible I never had repertoire that had any of those advanced techniques and was simply did not get that advanced yet! Or maybe that's why things were easier when I played my teacher's grand but I really did not notice much.

There are two main differences: sostenuto pedal and the escapement in the action. It is true that you may have never needed to use either in your repertoire. The third difference is a "real" una corda pedal on the grand piano.

But the bigger problem is the range of dynamics and tone colors. A grand piano sounds much more expressive. You can't hear that on most uprights. Thus, if you have to learn to play on a more artistic level, you must practice on a good grand piano.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778781
11/06/18 02:49 PM
11/06/18 02:49 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin

On a grand you can do faster trills and repeated notes as the key doesn't have to return all the way before playing it again. This makes soft trills and repeated notes possible, but the biggest difference is the una corda pedal, which uprights don't have. Grands also have longer key sticks than most uprights, which makes some awkward pieces easier, such as Chopin's 2nd sonata 1st movement, where the left hand needs to play near the fallboard.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: johnstaf] #2778787
11/06/18 03:09 PM
11/06/18 03:09 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Most people cannot trill or play repeated notes fast enough to make a difference, and the difference disappears if the grand is not regulated properly. Una corda is usually not a big deal; sostenuto may be more of a difference, but most people never use either of those pedals much. The difference in the length of the key sticks is usually significant only in spinets, which are not made any longer.

There are people who think that a better piano will make them play better, but that difference is marginal compared to the difference in native talent. I have known several fine players who first played on mediocre or worse pianos, including uprights

Semipro Tech
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778847
11/06/18 08:17 PM
11/06/18 08:17 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

A good working sostenuto may be a bad thing. The wise course may be to not make yourself dependent on it.

If you're going to have to play on whatever piano a venue may have, usually the sostenuto is the first thing they let slide when the maintenance budget gets tight. There are also many fine pianos that never had sostenuto in the first place.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: AZNpiano] #2778849
11/06/18 08:37 PM
11/06/18 08:37 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

California

There are two main differences: sostenuto pedal and the escapement in the action. It is true that you may have never needed to use either in your repertoire. The third difference is a "real" una corda pedal on the grand piano.

But the bigger problem is the range of dynamics and tone colors. A grand piano sounds much more expressive. You can't hear that on most uprights. Thus, if you have to learn to play on a more artistic level, you must practice on a good grand piano.

Wut, the left pedal on my Yamaha U3 is not a "real" una corda pedal?!?! O____O I've definitely used it before. Yep don't have a sostenuto.. interestingly though I really think the upright I had before this one (dunno what it was) had a sostenuto! Is it so unlikely?

I suppose for me those extra dynamics and tone colors will only be treats when I do get to play on a grand piano. Tomorrow will be one of those days, since I hear the piano at the venue for our choir festival will be a grand -- yippee!

Not likely to happen, but say I traded in my U3 for a baby grand, I'd lose out on the U3's bass sound cause those strings would be shorter, but would I gain the "grand" action and range of dynamics and tone colors or does it not work that way?

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778851
11/06/18 08:55 PM
11/06/18 08:55 PM
North of Los Angeles
L
Learux Offline
Learux  Offline
L

North of Los Angeles
Depends on the seize of your baby grand, But yes the grand action will be there. Easiest way to describe is, in a grand gravity will reset the hammer. In a vertical it is a combination of a spring and gravity. Combined with the longer keys in a grand you have much more control over dynamics

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778853
11/06/18 09:02 PM
11/06/18 09:02 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

the slight advantage in rapid repetition or trills mediocre baby grands might have seems to me poor compensation if they don't have the musicality of top tier uprights.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778855
11/06/18 09:16 PM
11/06/18 09:16 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin

Not likely to happen, but say I traded in my U3 for a baby grand, I'd lose out on the U3's bass sound cause those strings would be shorter, but would I gain the "grand" action and range of dynamics and tone colors or does it not work that way?

You need a good grand to replace a good upright. I would prioritise the action if I were choosing a piano.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778859
11/06/18 09:36 PM
11/06/18 09:36 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

Wut, the left pedal on my Yamaha U3 is not a "real" una corda pedal?!?! O____O I've definitely used it before. Yep don't have a sostenuto.. interestingly though I really think the upright I had before this one (dunno what it was) had a sostenuto! Is it so unlikely?

I suppose for me those extra dynamics and tone colors will only be treats when I do get to play on a grand piano. Tomorrow will be one of those days, since I hear the piano at the venue for our choir festival will be a grand -- yippee!

I personally do not care for the lack of sostenuto pedal, I have only encountered one piece where I would have really needed it. However there's a huge difference in action when I play with a grand. Not to mention the tonal possibilities, and when it comes to those it does not really matter what level the music is...

And yes, the real una corda works in a different way than the left pedal of your upright. If you do not know how I suggest you google...

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778874
11/06/18 10:50 PM
11/06/18 10:50 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
.........Yep don't have a sostenuto.. interestingly though I really think the upright I had before this one (dunno what it was) had a sostenuto! Is it so unlikely?............
When I was piano shopping, one store had some kind of recital going on (actually, it had just finished), with a number of children out and about. I stopped at one of the uprights and played a chord, but no sound came out. The person from the store stuck his foot on the middle pedal (yes, it had a middle pedal), pushed it, and voila, sound!

The middle pedal was a practice rail, which very much dampened the sound when engaged. The store engaged the pedal to discourage kids from pounding on the pianos.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: BDB] #2778964
11/07/18 12:30 PM
11/07/18 12:30 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by BDB
Most people cannot trill or play repeated notes fast enough to make a difference, and the difference disappears if the grand is not regulated properly. Una corda is usually not a big deal; sostenuto may be more of a difference, but most people never use either of those pedals much. The difference in the length of the key sticks is usually significant only in spinets, which are not made any longer.

There are people who think that a better piano will make them play better, but that difference is marginal compared to the difference in native talent. I have known several fine players who first played on mediocre or worse pianos, including uprights

As a music teacher you suggest a better piano. I have suggested grands and
uprights but then leave it for a family to decide It depends on them
and a technician to ultimately decide .As a teacher you work with
what you have .I had a grand for thier lessons .Some pupils are blessed to have good grand but WHY make people with just uprights
feel they cannot develope in music when they only have is an upright .
Good tone quality, trills ,playing rapid passages ,playing with dynamics ,playing Legato ,all this is still possible. You can still be an
artist ! The repertoire in advanced levels is usually wide enough to choose pieces that are fine for uprights as well .I am not talking about professional music diplomas .But you may be surprised there as a well .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/07/18 12:33 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: ConfusedinWalnut] #2778968
11/07/18 12:53 PM
11/07/18 12:53 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
I offer a slightly different point of view. IMO, and based on arguments first put forth by C.P.E Bach:

A musician who has learned to control, with finesse, the resonance and tonal colours of a finely regulated grand, will find it easy to make music on a poorly regulated, out of tune spinet.

A pianist who has learned to control the sound of a poorly regulated, out of tune spinet, may never progress to becoming a musician, having never experienced creating the sound of the music the composer intended.

At what point in the training and development of the piano player (I hesitate to ascribe to them the term ‘musician’ yet.) this factor becomes critical is a decision only a good piano teacher can provide.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: hello my name is] #2778969
11/07/18 01:00 PM
11/07/18 01:00 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Wut, the left pedal on my Yamaha U3 is not a "real" una corda pedal?!?! O____O I've definitely used it before.
You probably know this but....the una corda pedal works differently on a grand as opposed to an upright. On an upright, the entire action assembly moves closer to the strings so the hammers don't travel as far while striking them, thus creating a softer sound. On a grand, the entire action moves slightly to the right, so the hammers only strike two strings instead of three per note. When properly adjusted, both types of una corda pedals work just fine.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Carey] #2778981
11/07/18 01:24 PM
11/07/18 01:24 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
In an upright, the hammers move closer to the strings, while the rest of the action remains stationary. This adds a considerable amount of lost motion to the action, making it far more inefficient, although some old pianos had lost motion compensators which worked to lessen this.

On a grand, the action may be set up so that the hammers strike just two strings, or that they strike with areas that are normally between the strings. Actually, to get either of those methods to work properly is at least as difficult as adjusting a sostenuto pedal.

Semipro Tech
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: BDB] #2778991
11/07/18 02:33 PM
11/07/18 02:33 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by BDB
In an upright, the hammers move closer to the strings, while the rest of the action remains stationary. This adds a considerable amount of lost motion to the action, making it far more inefficient, although some old pianos had lost motion compensators which worked to lessen this.

On a grand, the action may be set up so that the hammers strike just two strings, or that they strike with areas that are normally between the strings. Actually, to get either of those methods to work properly is at least as difficult as adjusting a sostenuto pedal.
Thanks for the clarification. thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: prout] #2779007
11/07/18 03:12 PM
11/07/18 03:12 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by prout
I offer a slightly different point of view. IMO, and based on arguments first put forth by C.P.E Bach:

A musician who has learned to control, with finesse, the resonance and tonal colours of a finely regulated grand, will find it easy to make music on a poorly regulated, out of tune spinet.

A pianist who has learned to control the sound of a poorly regulated, out of tune spinet, may never progress to becoming a musician, having never experienced creating the sound of the music the composer intended.

At what point in the training and development of the piano player (I hesitate to ascribe to them the term ‘musician’ yet.) this factor becomes critical is a decision only a good piano teacher can provide.

He was no doubt talking about a clavichord and maybe a Forte Piano
In CPE Bach s times there were no uprights and grand pianos
were there Prout ?He was the one who wrote a well known book about the
basic approach to playing the Forte Piano well .
I agree a well regulated piano would be essential .Also if an upright
Is used it would not be a spinet .
My BIG reaction is really against the teacher suggesting this family get a Steinways M grand .A grand is best in advanced levels but those with uprights can develop into an advanced grade as well on
a resononable well regulated upright 48 inch tall .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/07/18 03:18 PM. Reason: Extra word
Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: Lady Bird] #2779028
11/07/18 04:13 PM
11/07/18 04:13 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario

He was no doubt talking about a clavichord and maybe a Forte Piano
In CPE Bach s times there were no uprights and grand pianos
were there Prout ?He was the one who wrote a well known book about the
basic approach to playing the Forte Piano well .
I agree a well regulated piano would be essential .Also if an upright
Is used it would not be a spinet .
My BIG reaction is really against the teacher suggesting this family get a Steinways M grand .A grand is best in advanced levels but those with uprights can develop into an advanced grade as well on
a resononable well regulated upright 48 inch tall .
C.P.E. was speaking specifically about the clavichordist being able to easliy transition to the harpsichord, but the harpsichordist is not able to make music on the clavichord because they have not learned how to control dynamics and tone.

I have nothing against well maintained and regulated full size uprights. They will provide a quality sound and the student can learn how to control the instrument and transition to a quality grand when her technique surpasses the capability of the instrument to respond to her musical desires. I am thinking specifically about the long, long decay times of a large grand and the ability the flutter pedal treble chord changes, creating a clear melodic line over a period of 8-10 seconds and still have the bass notes ringing. A large, resonant grand needs much, much less use of damper pedal to create musical lines and effects. In my experience, so many students overpedal. Also, repetition rates will eventually be limiting.

I would hope that the astute teacher would know which of her students has the potential to use the resources available in a large grand and will recommend its acquisition at the appropriate time.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: prout] #2779529
11/09/18 11:07 AM
11/09/18 11:07 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
and the student can learn how to control the instrument and transition to a quality grand when her technique surpasses the capability of the instrument to respond to her musical desires.

Whew. My upright is going to be good enough for several years/lifetimes then :-)

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: gwing] #2779532
11/09/18 11:40 AM
11/09/18 11:40 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by gwing
and the student can learn how to control the instrument and transition to a quality grand when her technique surpasses the capability of the instrument to respond to her musical desires.

Whew. My upright is going to be good enough for several years/lifetimes then :-)
You might be surprised. Changing pianos can change your approach to the type of music you enjoy learning and playing.

On my original grand, fast Mozart and Bach were my choices to learn as the piano was small, had hard hammers and poorly regulated action that was, nevertheless, regulated to the best of its capability. It was sold by my technician to a jazz pianist who also owns several larger S&S’s, who loved its action and sound for certain types of music.

My new grand is so resonant with such swirling sounds, I now tend to choose slow Chopin, Brahms and the like. No point wasting this piano on Mozart, though I did perform the Mozart Piano Quartets on it. I had to mute out the upper two octaves of duplexes to make the sound more appropriate for the era.

Re: Need Grand ASAP [Re: prout] #2779623
11/09/18 06:17 PM
11/09/18 06:17 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
I had to mute out the upper two octaves of duplexes to make the sound more appropriate for the era.

Very clever. cool

August Förster 215
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission