2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianosx
The ES8 does not have built-in Bluetooth MIDI, and I don't think just a USB connection will work, though I will try.

Bluetooth MIDI can be added relatively easily with an adaptor such as the Quiccosound mi.1 or the Yamaha version.

USB connection will work, however you will require an Apple Lightning to Camera adaptor.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
On sale again for $18. Updated to v1.1 to fix iOS 12 on 10/26, which shows the developer is committed to keeping the software up to date.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I recommend the Ravenscroft as one of the best ( for me the best) iOS pianos.
There was a problem with too much pedal noise, especially for recording purposes, but that has been resolved with a volume slider for adjustment.
At $18 an amazing bargain. There have been users who have reported crackling. It is a real issue but I have had no problem with it.

Here is a usage of it, played on a low cost Casio keyboard. No crackles. However, I did not have a sustain pedal so you will not hear much string resonance ( but it does have it). People have praised the Korg Module German grand and the newly released Model D Steinway. If you have the Beathawk app, the inapp acoustic grand is on sale for $6.

When you consider vsts are ten times the price of these and more you can understand how much you are getting for a really low cost. Add to that that the sound is only as good as your speakers or headphones and there is not much to complain about IMO.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/yardbird-suite-1

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Well I bought it...and I am about to ask for a refund. Why? CRACKLING definitely very much an issue (at least when used over BT on an iPad Air 2nd Gen.) - slider for the damper pedal - still way too loud, it's not subtle at all, as if someone is banging on your door outside. Worst of all, you still get a sound regardless how soft you press a key - e.g. 0 sound on lowest velocity is not there....in fact it is almost impossible to get anything below mp (p or pp even).

I wanted to see what all the rave was but I just can't see it...sorry...okay the sampled classic sound is nice (all the others - meh)....but what is the point when playability cannot match the samples?

Last edited by jamiecw; 11/08/18 07:39 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jamiecw
Well I bought it...and I am about to ask for a refund. Why? CRACKLING definitely very much an issue (at least when used over BT on an iPad Air 2nd Gen.) - slider for the damper pedal - still way too loud, it's not subtle at all, as if someone is banging on your door outside. Worst of all, you still get a sound regardless how soft you press a key - e.g. 0 sound on lowest velocity is not there....in fact it is almost impossible to get anything below mp (p or pp even).

I wanted to see what all the rave was but I just can't see it...sorry...okay the sampled classic sound is nice (all the others - meh)....but what is the point when playability cannot match the samples?

Well, I was hesitant to buy as I have it on pc and don't like the sound very much (tough it's pretty playable...). After your comment I won't get it, even on sale... Thanks!

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Yes, crackling has been a problem, though not for me. It sounds like a refund is in order. I do disagree about the dynamic range. I played this with RC275 on a crummy Casio keyboard. Please listen. Perhaps my notion of pp is different from yours, but I think I hit that and perhaps softer. I did not use a sustain pedal so cannot comment on pedal noise, but I thought it could be turned completely off. For me this app is a true beauty, but I have been getting a lot of heat on another thread for my views, so I am not trying to convince anyone!

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/yardbird-suite-1

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
S
S
Originally Posted by jamiecw
CRACKLING definitely very much an issue (at least when used over BT on an iPad Air 2nd Gen.) - slider for the damper pedal - still way too loud

Regarding crackling, what buffer size are you running? I'm running 128 on an iPad Pro 2nd gen without issues. Also what is being sent over BT - the MIDI? If so does it not give too high a latency and maybe this is contributing to the crackling. Regarding the sustain pedal, on my version you can reduce the volume until it is inaudible (under Options...).

S
S
Originally Posted by Smaug
I'm running 128 on an iPad Pro 2nd gen without issues

Correction - 256 buffer (the minimum). Also to reduce crackling have you tried reducing the polyphony in the Options? It defaults to 60, but maybe on an Air 2 you need to reduce.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm running 128 on an iPad Pro 2nd gen without issues

Correction - 256 buffer (the minimum). Also to reduce crackling have you tried reducing the polyphony in the Options? It defaults to 60, but maybe on an Air 2 you need to reduce.

Thank you for the advice and options. Yes 256 is the minimum default and currently set, pol. set to 60 & have decreased & increased but the crackling persists but so intermittent...There’s no latency at all...

Haven’t been able to ask for a refund as have not been billed yet...

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Hi Jamie, here is a thread from the audiob.us forum with an interesting workaround. If you are techy it may interest you. The post is by Janosax a bit down the thread. I never had real crackling issues, just made sure the CPU wasn!'t being pushed to hard on the RC interface. Audiob.us, if you don't know it, is a fabulous resource for iOS info.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20130/ravenscroft-275-piano-glitches

Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Hi Jamie, here is a thread from the audiob.us forum with an interesting workaround. If you are techy it may interest you. The post is by Janosax a bit down the thread. I never had real crackling issues, just made sure the CPU wasn!'t being pushed to hard on the RC interface. Audiob.us, if you don't know it, is a fabulous resource for iOS info.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20130/ravenscroft-275-piano-glitches

Cheers for that. Funnily enough I did try it under GBand the first night I got it and I still had the issue. It might be that it needs the latest and greatest iPad Pro, I don’t know but for the price tag I can’t waste more time testing what clearly does not seem like a finished product...PS tonight I also found out the presets don’t save...confirmed as per that thread.

I’ll stick with PTQ..

Last edited by jamiecw; 11/09/18 08:25 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
PS also found out the app consumed the iPad’s battery when not in use unless it’s forced closed (I suppose it does that so it runs in the background but not used it since purchased and it was consuming cells for the last couple of days)...😏

Last edited by jamiecw; 11/09/18 08:37 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission