2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (36251, David B, ebonykawai, AB99, BachToTheFuture, ChrisGoesPiano, Carey, 15 invisible), 416 guests, and 471 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best Music Software #2778482 11/05/18 04:33 PM
Z
ZanderChicago Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi everyone. Does anyone know the leading or most popular music software out there for recording, composing, autotuning etc. All categories. I'm thinking of starting a production studio and some point and and wanted to starting learning about music software. Thanks!

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778492 11/05/18 04:54 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There are many of them. Among the most popular :

Cubase, Logic Pro (MacOS only), Ableton Live, Pro Tools.

Ableton Live has a 30days limited demo.

I personally like another one, Reaper (60days demo available), more by its flexible logic than its content.

There is also a freemium product, Studio One... the prime version is free, but there is the Artist or the Pro version if you want more options.

Note: they are tools intended for recording and mixing. Composing (producing scores), will probably require another product (MuseScore... free, Finale, Sibelius, or Logic Pro).

Autotune will probably require another software (Melodyne is the most well known).

You may probably need other added software depending of your needs : virtual instruments, virtual effects...

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778565 11/05/18 08:12 PM
jackifus Offline
For composing with a score - Dorico, Finale, and Sibelius are the professional standards.

I use Dorico coupled with NotePerformer for playback.

cheers,

Jack

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600 | Sony WH-1000XM3 (using wired) for noise isolation
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778577 11/05/18 09:02 PM
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I use the free MuseScore program for notation editing. It has a playback function, but so far I just use that as a proofreading aid. There are people who have entered whole Beethoven symphonies in MuseScore and have them playing back. But for that there are tweaks beyond the information contained in the actual score.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778596 11/05/18 11:33 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
If you're on Windows 10 x64 platform go checkout Cakewalk by Bandlab. It is a free DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software that use to cost $$$

Worth a look in my humble opinion.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Also I look at https://www.tracktion.com/ Version 7 is free. They changed the name to waveform starting on version 8. It is now on version 9. Sale going on now and it is a great cheap sketchpad and the chord track is really fun tool. The one I wouldn't recommend if you never played with a DAW is Reaper. Not that it isn't a great DAW, it is just that it is a geek person's DAW or at least I think so. Saying that it does some things that other DAW's don't do and it is free to try and very reasonably price. Try Cakewalk by Bandlab, it is very feature rich and you have nothing to lose. I have been a Cakewalk customer for a long time so I am a little biased. But I also have several different DAW's (Samplitude Pro, Studio One 4, Tracktion Waveform, Cakewalk Sonar, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reaper, +++) They each have pluses and minuses to them.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778940 11/07/18 10:03 AM
C
ColoRodney Offline
C
Pro studios generally use ProTools. I use Digital Performer in my studio, and am very happy with it—very useful effects are included. For notation, Finale and Sibelius are the standard. Both are expensive, but there are inexpensive less-powerful variants.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778986 11/07/18 01:33 PM
I
IosPlayer Offline
I
Frederic L has named the big ones. Cubase is probably the most user friendly and forgiving.

If you are just out for creative fun with a great result at about 10% of the cost may I recommend the iPad iOS platform. Admittedly VSTs have better virtual instruments, but the DAWs and effects in iOS are pretty wonderful. Most here will probably turn up their noses at such a prospect, but iOS has evolved mightily in the past few years with a tremendous array of tools and connectivity. Staggeringly inexpensive, portable, affordable, short leaning curve, great tech help at audiob.us
Forum, no mouse, touch screen, intuitive and great fun. I have spent many all nighters ( often in bed) refining and mixing tracks.

Here is an example of what I, a mere beginner with no desktop experience, ( three months in), could produce. The better your studio skills, the better the result. Again, you can get better results from desktop, but how much better according to your hardware and skills, and at what cost? And which would be more fun?

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/synthony-no1-in-gminor

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070
1915 Steinway B, Kawai MP11se, Casio AT5
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778998 11/07/18 02:45 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
G
From reading forums and watching videos, here's my understanding of it, even though I didn't actually use most of these programs.

Ableton Live, FL Studio, Cubase and Studio One are mostly used for EDM production, but can also do everything else. FL Studio has (or had?) some issues with its live recording capabilities, so if that's what you're gonna do, I'd probably recommend picking up something else. The plus side of FL Studio is that you get life long free upgrades. You only pay once and get upgrades for all future versions for free.

Reaper has gotten more and more popular. While you still have to pay for future upgrades, their upgrading and licensing scheme is very friendly, and it has the least intrusive DRM protection of the bunch. If you bought your license some time around 2012 or 2013, you would still be able to get upgrades today (within two major version numbers). After that, you'd need to repurchase. The price tag is very low for what it offers, but if you earn more than a certain threshold, you need to buy a more expensive license (which is still cheap compared to the other programs discussed). Downside of Reaper is, while it does come with a basic package of plugins, it doesn't have much else going on. No advanced instruments or synths included, so you'd have to buy those yourself from third party developers, which puts the low price of Reaper in perspective.

If you want to go professional, you might want to consider that Pro Tools is often considered the "industry standard". From what I understand, people in, for example, Hollywood will expect you to have and be able to work with Pro Tools, because they'll send their project files and data in the Format of Pro Tools, and they'll expect your own project files back. This is slowly beginning to change though because more and more people feel like other programs are better, and they want to make the switch. Also you have to consider that Pro Tools requires an iLok, and there's plenty of people who had a bad time when their iLok had problems and they couldn't keep working for their clients and lost money. For many others, it works well though.

If you want to take a first look, you can't go wrong with Reaper for its low price. If you're determined to go pro right from the beginning, then I'd recommend checking out trial versions of some of the other programs.

Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779059 11/07/18 05:21 PM
J
Jasper E. Offline
J
As music notation software I use mup (Music Publisher from www.arkkra.com) for decades -- but I never type its input.
I really fancy the beautiful vectorgraphical postscript output, the macros that give some possibility of programming and the many parameters that are available.
However I dont type the files in that format. I have an own LR(1) music notation language and I compile from my own format.
Recently I have finished the compilation into ABC notation as well. The major goal was musicXML which I can convert from ABC smile

Kawai KDP-90
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779067 11/07/18 05:42 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FL Studio is quite different from other DAW. For exemple, a record on a track can control any instrument. On other DAW, it triggers the instrument associated with the track. Then coming from a « classic » DAW can be a bit difficult. But each cited DAW is quite powerful and reading the documentation seems highly recommended. The FL Studio demo is free for a unlimited time (but it can’t save file or something like this).

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Best Music Software [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779069 11/07/18 05:59 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
It really depends on the type of music. For most music, the industry standard (as already mentioned) is Pro Tools, but for classical music Pyramix is probably the most popular.

I use Pro Tools for film dialogue editing, and Cubase for orchestral mockups (using sampled instruments), but Pyramix for classical. Logic and Cubase are often regarded as direct competitors given their similar functionality. I like and use Logic, but I wouldn't want to depend on Apple for professional applications.

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission