Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Angelos58, clothearednincompo, Beemer, cathryn999, Beowulf, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, Alex C, 15 invisible), 1,374 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: Jitin] #2764605
09/10/18 07:09 PM
09/10/18 07:09 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
S
Scruff Bucket Offline
Scruff Bucket  Offline
S

Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks Lotus1.

If I can clarify, Roland has designed an excellent line of digital pianos with their hallmark, excellent sounding piano voice modelling. The action on the FP-90 is also excellent, making this keyboard really top-notch. I don't have anything against the (slightly) lighter touch actions like the FP-90 has -- it is actually easier to play it after having been conditioned on Yamaha's action! And switching back to playing the Yamaha from the FP-90 involves just a tiny effort to flip the "Yamaha muscle memory" back on and then you are on your way!

Before the P-515 came up, I was considering the P-255 and FP-90, but I decided to try the newer, though less-feature-filled P125, as it had the midi/audio-over-USB which I wanted to try. When the P125 proved inadequate, the sales person let me rent an FP-90 for consideration until the arrival of the P-515 which looks to have added more features: the midi/audio USB is back, 16 track recorder/re-recorder/sequencer, more XG instruments, wireless (Wi-Fi) LAN ability, and 50 Classics -- maybe not so great, but noteably missed since our Clavinova days!

Thanks, Lotus1 for the link to the other thread. As I read both these threads, I have to admire the passion of some of the posters to inform the rest of us about certain DP brands! Thanks guys! We were never on a quest to find the ultimate DP. And now after a little research and learning about available features on the new DP's, we rather would prefer a portable DP that is readily movable if we ever need, and that could be a great, compatible companion for our acoustic piano, with a few fun features and abilities included! But who knows, I still need to try the P-515 first! ...

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: Scruff Bucket] #2774608
10/22/18 12:40 PM
10/22/18 12:40 PM
E
Eunhogim Offline
Eunhogim  Offline
E

Hi Scruff Bucket,

Did you receive your new p515 yet?
I have very similar setting at my home with one grad piano (6'1) and Roland FP 30. I also have three kids who are starting to learn piano and practicing on both acoustic and digital pianos depends on the time of the day. I really like FP 30's action, but compare to the real grand piano, it feels too light expecially on action. I am using headphones for the FP 30 when I get to do my practice, so the amplication of the FP30 has not been a big problem.
I saw some reports that new NWX action is much heavier than Rolands PHA50 or PHAIII. I would like to hear your update on new Yamaha p515.
Thanks.

Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: Jitin] #2775284
10/24/18 06:39 PM
10/24/18 06:39 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
S
Scruff Bucket Offline
Scruff Bucket  Offline
S

Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi Eunhogim. Sorry, I don't check these posts often. Unfortunately and apparently, the P-515's release has been delayed all over (US and Canada, anyways). I spoke with the dealer this past Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018) and he told me from his conversations with Yamaha Canada, he would probably receive shipment of it in a couple weeks or so! Here's hoping! ...

I haven't been able to try any of the NWX Clavinova's yet, as this dealer does not carry cabinet/large-format Yamaha pianos, but their business hours are more favourable for me. The other Yamaha dealer around here does have extensive Yamaha inventory (acoustic, Clavinova, etc.), but has business hours are much less convenient for me!

I will update soon after I can actually touch it! smile

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; 10/24/18 06:46 PM.
Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: halherta] #2777808
11/03/18 12:04 PM
11/03/18 12:04 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by halherta
Yeah, If you use Pianoteq or any other VST (including QSynth with YC5 soundfonts [https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/] ...both can be had for free free) on a laptop/PC, the USB connection sends the MIDI signals from the piano to the Laptop/PC and receives USB audio from Laptop/PC to the Piano's onboard speakers. No need to attach speakers to your laptop, nor use the Piano's line In connection...if it has one. The only digital pianos that I'm aware of that do this are the P-515. P-125/121 and the Studiologic Numa compact 2x.

I have a Yamaha P-515 and I just came across this post.

I would like to explore this option.

It would seem that I need a cable with the same USB end on both ends of the cable in order to connect my computer with the USB port on my piano.

Correct ?

Last edited by dmd; 11/03/18 12:04 PM.

Don

Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course - Completed Chapter 5

Pianoteq, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: dmd] #2777821
11/03/18 01:03 PM
11/03/18 01:03 PM
Ottawa, Canada
H
halherta Offline
halherta  Offline
H

Ottawa, Canada
Yes one USB cable. Plug one side in the P-515 and the other in the PC. The PC should detect a midi controller and a sound card (audio out/in) interface if you have the correct Steinberg driver installed.

Select the digital piano sound card as the output in your DAW / VST/ Pianoteq and audio (from your PC) plays through the P-515's speakers. Also be sure to select the digital piano's midi device as the midi in into your DAW/VST/Pianoteq. And you should be done. I was able to do this under Linux. However after a while, the audio interface crash. I'm assuming tha this is a Linux driver problem. You should have better luck under windows but I never tried. Oh BTW I tried this on the P-125 not the P-515. But both have USB Audio and midi over USB functionality.

For more info and location to download driver for windows check this document: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/1094839/computer_en_rm_m0.pdf

Yamaha P-125, Roland GO:Piano, Pianoteq 6, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: Jitin] #2777834
11/03/18 02:11 PM
11/03/18 02:11 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Halherta: Thank you for your help on setting it up. Got it working well.

Don

Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: dmd] #2777841
11/03/18 02:37 PM
11/03/18 02:37 PM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Online content
EVC2017  Online Content
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
Originally Posted by dmd
It would seem that I need a cable with the same USB end on both ends of the cable in order to connect my computer with the USB port on my piano.

Correct ?

Incorrect if I understood it right. The P-515 side has a type B connector on the rear side. That is the one you must use to connect to the computer. The type A it has on the top is probably meant to connect only a USB flash drive to record songs and for software updates.

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/03/18 02:40 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: EVC2017] #2777844
11/03/18 02:49 PM
11/03/18 02:49 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by dmd

Correct ?

Incorrect if I understood it right. The P-515 side has a type B connector on the rear side. That is the one you must use to connect to the computer. The type A it has on the top is probably meant to connect only a USB flash drive to record songs and for software updates.

Yes …. you are right about that.

At first, I thought I would attach to the USB port on the top of the piano.

The USB to HOST port is on the back of the piano with a different type of connector port.

Luckily I had one of those cables on my Focusrite Audio Interface which I am not using at the moment.

Don

Re: Yamaha p515 vs Roland FP90 [Re: Jitin] #2779014
11/07/18 03:38 PM
11/07/18 03:38 PM
America
J
Jitin Offline OP
Jitin  Offline OP
J

America
I finally recieved the Yamaha P515!

I had not tried the piano, and bought the piano based on my good experiences with Yamaha, having a P155, which I still own for 8+ years.
I had tried the CLP645 which has same action and sound engine as P515, prior to P515 coming out, except CLP is in upright digital piano style, I just preferred the portable style of piano, so when the P515 came out I was super excited.

The piano sounds amazing and looks beautiful. The action is far superior to the GH and is butter smooth. It is easier to articulate pieces softly, like Clair de Lune which I am about half way learning.
Doing runs up and down the piano is also easier than my P155's GH action, with more control. Especially when the runs require pressing multiple quater notes at same time and while continuing playing sixteen notes in same hand.

Speakers: more than sufficient for home playing and very robust, no distortion even at 80 percent volume.
Build quality: steller, appears very good, buttons feel nice.
Looks: I think it is very handsome looking piano, way better in real life than on pictures.

Pedal: I really liked that there is a material under the pedal that prevents it from slipping, which I was trying to figure out how to over come on my current p155's pedal, though both are FC4.

The user interface is also every nice looking with blue backlit buttons and tiny screen.

I will continue to explore the instrument since I just got it today and provide updates! I am very Excited and Happy so far ! Definitly upgrade to my p155, and I think best in its class in market right now.

Last edited by Jitin; 11/07/18 03:39 PM.

P155
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission