Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
97 registered members (ALEXANDER DYKER, Alex C, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, butchkoch, cliowa, Angelos58, cathryn999, 15 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Casio Ap-470 Review #2778999
11/07/18 02:49 PM
11/07/18 02:49 PM
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
I recently bought a Casio AP-470 and I thought it merited a review for the following reasons. One, people are more likely to post when they have a problem with their piano, myself included. Two, I have seen a lot of posts stating that a slab piano is preferable as you're just paying for some upgraded speakers and a built in stand. And, three because I love it.
Disclaimer, I'm very much a beginner. Currently using Alfred's Adult all in one book 2 and Fundamental Keys I've only played two other DPs I used a Yamaha P115 for over a year, which I never liked from the moment I first pressed a key and I had a FP30 which I returned due to hissing speakers. And reviews are subjective, so your mileage may vary, etc.

Casio pros:

Value for money is excellent.

Sound. I love the grand piano samples. In the following order, American, Modern and German. This thing sounds like a real piano to my ear. The effects such as string and damper resonance really do add a lot to the experience.

Action. Very good. Lovely finish on the keys. Not loud but with a satisfying little thunk. Plenty of space between the black keys ( compared to the Yamaha).

Speakers. There are four. And they are loud, clear and very good quality.

Build quality and design. Build quality is excellent. Solid with no faults. Love the design. The hinged speaker cover. The music rest at the right height. The solid pedals. The sliding key cover.

Extras. Love the audio and midi recording, the ability to use an Android app to control everything and the fact you can auto resume with your last settings.

Casio Cons:

USB Recording. Volume is too quiet and requires an external program to amplify recordings.

Sound. Bass end could do with a little bit more oomph.

So in conclusion, for the price paid. I love this piano. Had I been able to afford it, I would probably have bought a Kawai CN37 or a Yamaha CLP635. But as it is, I'm very happy with my purchase. Hope this review inspires someone to try out a Casio.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779166
11/08/18 01:24 AM
11/08/18 01:24 AM
R
redfish1901 Offline
redfish1901  Offline
R

I think Casio is doing a great job at the low end. Compared to some of the awful stuff at Guitar Center, Casio offers good value at their respective price ranges. Are they as good as Yamaha or Kawai? Personally, I don't think so, but Casio is competing seriously and I like that. Thumbs up!

Last edited by redfish1901; 11/08/18 01:25 AM.
Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779176
11/08/18 03:05 AM
11/08/18 03:05 AM
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
Forgot to add, I based my purchase on YouTube videos and o this review in a German magazine that someone might find helpful.

https://m.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/casio-ap-470-celviano-test.html

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779179
11/08/18 03:57 AM
11/08/18 03:57 AM
Paris, France
E
ericco Online content
ericco  Online Content
E

Paris, France
Originally Posted by Eirkey
Plenty of space between the black keys ( compared to the Yamaha).

What does this mean? Aren't the keys always the same size for all pianos?

(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: ericco] #2779180
11/08/18 04:04 AM
11/08/18 04:04 AM
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
When I played on the Yamaha P115, I had to turn my middle finger at an angle to play between the black keys without pushing a black key down unintentionally. On the Casio, there is more space, so I don't need to do this. So it would appear that the spaces between black keys on different manufacturers varies. ( The finish on the keys may also play a role.)

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779183
11/08/18 04:20 AM
11/08/18 04:20 AM
Paris, France
E
ericco Online content
ericco  Online Content
E

Paris, France
So it would appear that the spaces between black keys on different manufacturers varies.

This is only possible if either (1) the white keys are wider or (2) the black keys are narrower. The first case is unlikely, since your whole keyboard would be noticeably much larger than the others. So, are you saying that the black keys in your keyboard are thinner than usual?

I have never seen the AP470, but I have played the similar privia 870 and the keys looked normal size to me.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: ericco] #2779185
11/08/18 04:29 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Online content
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by ericco
So it would appear that the spaces between black keys on different manufacturers varies.

This is only possible if either (1) the white keys are wider or (2) the black keys are narrower. The first case is unlikely, since your whole keyboard would be noticeably much larger than the others. So, are you saying that the black keys in your keyboard are thinner than usual?

I have never seen the AP470, but I have played the similar privia 870 and the keys looked normal size to me.

Across different makes of piano or DP there are subtle variations, a mm or less in the key gaps due to spacing, positioning, width, also the slope of the blacks, and the cut of the edges.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779186
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
There is a third possibility. Which I think is the correct one. The blavk and white keys are neither narrower or wider. But the black keys are positioned slightly further apart on the keybed. This does not affect the width of the white keys as the black keys are positioned in an indentation in the white keys. So perhaps, a slightly deeper indentation.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779189
11/08/18 04:44 AM
11/08/18 04:44 AM
Paris, France
E
ericco Online content
ericco  Online Content
E

Paris, France
I understand. It may also be that the top of the black keys are rounder, so it is easier to play between them without getting stuck by a hard corner. In any case, I try to chose fingerings so that I never have to play between two black keys.

Thanks for your review!

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: ericco] #2779191
11/08/18 04:57 AM
11/08/18 04:57 AM
T
thickfingers Offline
thickfingers  Offline
T

Cheat, Ericco! I can't do that (any more).
BTW this thread is drifting from a review of the DP. My 2c.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779196
11/08/18 06:13 AM
11/08/18 06:13 AM
UK
jamiecw Offline
jamiecw  Offline

UK
The AP-470 is probably the best value for money at that price range - definitely a great DP at that price range, I had it and agree with the pros and cons. However, there's one thing, at least to me, that I just could not get on with and it had to go (yes I admit I am picky - very picky). The sustain volume remained way too high in my opinion (even when playing pianissimo) before it started to fade out. Yes real pianos have a long sustain no doubt but past the moment the string is hit and that sound is made the volume starts to depreciate not remain constant for a fair while before going down...for example you can check what I am talking about in my video below (at 2:07 the last chord is played and see how the volume stays relatively at the same level for about 8-9 seconds before it starts to fade - not at all realistically against a real piano)

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: jamiecw] #2779200
11/08/18 06:36 AM
11/08/18 06:36 AM
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
Great performance Jamiecw. Thanks for sharing. I'm obviously not advanced or experienced enough to have noticed this flaw. But even knowing this now, I'm still very happy with the piano. Every piano below a certain price point is going to have some aspects that could be better. For me, the most important things I looked for when purchasing were a decent piano sound quality, good action, good internal speakers and decent build quality and it fulfills all of that for me.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779205
11/08/18 06:49 AM
11/08/18 06:49 AM
UK
jamiecw Offline
jamiecw  Offline

UK
Great performance Jamiecw. Thanks for sharing. I'm obviously not advanced or experienced enough to have noticed this flaw. But even knowing this now, I'm still very happy with the piano. Every piano below a certain price point is going to have some aspects that could be better. For me, the most important things I looked for when purchasing were a decent piano sound quality, good action, good internal speakers and decent build quality and it fulfills all of that for me.

Hi Eirkey - understood, and I agree, it is a great DP. Like you I gave up the FP-30 prior but didn't feel I got much of an upgrade (minus the speaker system and the nice cabinet which as the extra two legs in front and the raising lid on the top - no DP has that at that price range). I just wanted to throw that out there since this will be read by many going and it's important to have as many facts as possible as these forums ultimately helps people looking for as much info as possible (since you are not getting that from the likes of piano sellers who only show positive things).

I've settled with PTQ and an SL88 (for practicing and recording) only because I am given total control of tweaking the sounds and velocities at my disposal and that somehow satisfies my pickiness I guess...and that is ultimately what everyone says on these forums, only you can get to decide what is good and what isn't... :-)

Last edited by jamiecw; 11/08/18 06:50 AM.
Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: jamiecw] #2779209
11/08/18 07:13 AM
11/08/18 07:13 AM
Paris, France
E
ericco Online content
ericco  Online Content
E

Paris, France
Originally Posted by jamiecw
The sustain volume remained way too high in my opinion (even when playing pianissimo) before it started to fade out.

Are you sure that this is not a tuneable setting? If I recall correctly, the Casio privia stage pianos allow to set the "decay time", maybe it goes with a different name on the Celvianos? Can you confirm, Eirkey? I glanced at the documentation of the AP470 and there are tons of settings for the sound, most of which have rather ambiguous names (for me).

Offtopic: I work in image processing, and I could not help but notice the "grain" editing of your video, jamiecw. Do you realize that thousands of researchers worldwide are working very hard to remove noise in videos, and then you are adding it for a cheesy effect? laugh But why stop here? You can also process your video to add vinyl cracks to the sound, and play it 10% faster so that it sounds a few tones higher, and thus more "antique". Bonus: the decay time will appear shorter that way.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779210
11/08/18 07:14 AM
11/08/18 07:14 AM
Ireland
E
Eirkey Offline OP
Eirkey  Offline OP
E

Ireland
I'm the opposite. I don't want to turn on a PC or connect external speakers or tweak settings. I just want to turn on the piano sit down and practice. And I agree, the more info provided by actual owners, the better. Be it positive or negative.

Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: Eirkey] #2779212
11/08/18 07:23 AM
11/08/18 07:23 AM
Hanoi, Vietnam
H
HoangCosmic Offline
HoangCosmic  Offline
H

Hanoi, Vietnam
I agree that Casio offers superb value for the price, their piano sound have definitely improved a lot over their previous generation, but their action, IMHO only good for beginner till intermediate, kinda bouncy, and become noisy after time, and their pivot is not so long either, making some passage hard to express, still a beast on their price tho

In 2 years: Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67
Re: Casio Ap-470 Review [Re: ericco] #2779217
11/08/18 08:03 AM
11/08/18 08:03 AM
UK
jamiecw Offline
jamiecw  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by ericco

Offtopic: I work in image processing, and I could not help but notice the "grain" editing of your video, jamiecw. Do you realize that thousands of researchers worldwide are working very hard to remove noise in videos, and then you are adding it for a cheesy effect? laugh But why stop here? You can also process your video to add vinyl cracks to the sound, and play it 10% faster so that it sounds a few tones higher, and thus more "antique". Bonus: the decay time will appear shorter that way.

Haha...here is a paradox, I long for a simpler time (says the one that employs VSTs with midi controllers and will probably never own an acoustic piano) :-)

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will Garriton cfx run on this laptop?
by Rohit04062. 11/20/18 07:22 AM
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,425
Posts2,762,788
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission