Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (ando, akc42, amyram, AntonioC, 36251, AndrewJCW, amad23, 28 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
First digital piano #2778820
11/06/18 07:10 PM
11/06/18 07:10 PM
M
Marco Rossi Offline OP
Marco Rossi  Offline OP
M

Hello guys.
I have read already a lot about this topic in this forum and found already many great info to get guided in my first digital piano buy, but I still would like to post a quite generic question.
I was wondering if there is a well know standard good quality/performance digital piano. Like a reference one. Something that is considered a best-buy for beginners that are mainly interested in playing classical music, with a good grand piano sound reproduction and nice action with a budjet of 1500-2000ā‚¬. I am thinking between Casio Celviano AP700, Yamaha clp635 and Kawai CA48 or CN37. I think I will go for the CA48. Do you have any advice? Thanks a lot for your precious help.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778823
11/06/18 07:13 PM
11/06/18 07:13 PM
Not too far North of Los Angel...
L
Learux Online content

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Online Content

500 Post Club Member
L

You picked good instruments, now you have to go play them and decide for yourself which one you like best.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778824
11/06/18 07:22 PM
11/06/18 07:22 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
There is no standard. And if there were ... what difference would that make?
The best piano is the one you like. So, as Learux suggests, go play them.
Originally Posted by Marco Rossi
I was wondering if there is a well know standard good quality/performance digital piano. Like a reference one.

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778887
11/07/18 01:54 AM
11/07/18 01:54 AM
N
Nordomus Offline
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

I posted it in another topic but you might find it useful as well smile https://nebout-hamm.com/boutique/piano-roland-lx705/

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778909
11/07/18 07:34 AM
11/07/18 07:34 AM
Italy
A
Angelos58 Offline
Angelos58  Offline
A

Italy
Roland HP-605.

From Italy?

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778942
11/07/18 11:23 AM
11/07/18 11:23 AM
B
blank898 Offline
blank898  Offline
B

Everybody have ther picks.For me for this budget is Yamaha Clavinova
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CLP625B--yamaha-clavinova-clp-625-matte-black
But I played cheaper kawai, this one https://musicsquare.co.uk/160791_Kawai-ES-8-B-digital-piano-black.html and this piano sounds just beautiful, with great feel while played.

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778985
11/07/18 02:32 PM
11/07/18 02:32 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
First, to the original poster, I apologize for the following rant, but I'd like to help answer your question. See the bottom list of questions we have for you to help give you a guide of what to look for when you're trying out pianos.

OK, I hate to come and be negative and critical, but I feel like we need a better response for beginners when they come and ask what a good starter DP is and they get a chorus of "you just need to go try them and pick one you like." I will at least propose a possible solution rather than just be a critic and leave, however I don't know that I'm the best person to implement the solution as I'm basically a beginner myself.

I feel like this answer doesn't help and certainly doesn't answer the question. As a relatively new player myself, I had these same questions two years ago. The problem is, as a new player you don't know enough to make a good decision based just on "which you like best."

As a beginner you don't really know what makes a for a good piano. You don't understand how the keyboard response will impact your play. You may not know what constitutes a good sounding instrument. You may not understand what features are important and what aren't.

On top of that, often you're investing a significant sum of money (in this case potentially 2000ā‚¬!) and there are a lot of choices. You don't want to make a mistake on a purchase like this. It can be paralyzing when you don't know enough to make an educated decision. In my case, I did a bunch of research, bought an instrument and wound up being unhappy with it after I became more aware of what I really wanted once my playing had progressed to a point where I could make an educated decision. I felt like I wasted $700, and in this persons case they could wind up losing a lot more!

People come here for advice, and I'd posi that many people on this forum are in a better position to make an unbiased and helpful recommendation than a salesman who has a different motivation for providing advice. I'd like to see people make good decisions they are happy with, and we should take it as a mission to arm them with advice to help them past "go play with them and see what you like." Otherwise I feel like we're just throwing them to the wolves (sorry salesmen.)

So, maybe we can try to have a better response when asked this question, almost like a script. Here's my suggestion for what to do when a beginner asks for buying advice:
- Find out what level of experience do they have and how long they have been playing (i.e. are we convinced they will stick with it, so it may be worth spending more or less)
- Find out if there are any features that are important to them. This is often situational, so a better tack might be to understand their needs in light of things like do they have kids who they are trying to get interested,so perhaps having fun instrument sounds and apps might be useful. Do they need portability, is space limited, etc etc. I don't know all the questions to ask here, maybe we could come up with a standard list.
- Come up with a list of instruments to try. Talk about the pros and cons of each.
- List things that are important to think about when playing to instrument to decide which one they like the best. Some examples I can think of are what felt the best to your fingers (maybe have some basic things to try, like scales or chords? I'm not sure about this), what sounded best to your ears, how did you like the interface, did it look like it would fit in your home.

At this point, now we can recommend "go try these instruments and you have enough knowledge to decide!"

Anyway, that's my rant for today. This is a great forum, there are a lot of smart and helpful people here, let's be the place people come to for advice by being helpful!

Last edited by squidbot; 11/07/18 02:35 PM.

š’€š’‚š’Žš’‚š’‰š’‚ š‘Øš’—š’‚š’š’• š‘®š’“š’‚š’š’… š‘µ1š‘æ
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778989
11/07/18 03:22 PM
11/07/18 03:22 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Finland
And then we'll repeat the above process again and again every week as always a new beginner is asking for the right first piano.

And if they are considering something in the 500...1000$ range, we tell that they will outgrow a cheap piano soon and it's better to spend 2000$.

Or if they are considering spending 2000$, we tell that it's insane and a beginner should start with a cheap piano and first see if the hobby even sticks.

And some of us will absolutely love and recommend Casio and others will hate everything about them: the sound, the short sustain, the short pivot, the hollow and plasticky keys, the action becoming noisy over time, the "fake hybrids"...

And some will hate the Yamahas because of the hevy keys and the Rolands because of the metallic overtones or artificial sounding modelled pianos and Kawais for the (alleged) "lack of quality control" and Korg for the low polyphony and the Dexibell H series because of the awkward music rest.

So, what's left to recommend?

A Gewa? Oh, but no one has actually seen a one in the wild.

laugh

Re: First digital piano [Re: clothearednincompo] #2778992
11/07/18 03:34 PM
11/07/18 03:34 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Yes, but eventually we'll have a corpus that we could combine in to a "beginners look here for your first piano, then come ask" smile And honestly, I don't mind helping people even every week, that helps build a stronger community. I'd love to see more people active here and passionate about DP's to engage in discussion. This is one of my favorite forums!

As to what you love or hate, I address that, if we give pros and cons of each, we are providing info while still having the buyer make their own, hopefully more educated choice.

š’€š’‚š’Žš’‚š’‰š’‚ š‘Øš’—š’‚š’š’• š‘®š’“š’‚š’š’… š‘µ1š‘æ
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2778997
11/07/18 03:45 PM
11/07/18 03:45 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Finland
Sure. smile

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2779000
11/07/18 03:52 PM
11/07/18 03:52 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Or we could just say: Read the recommendations and considerations at pianobuyer.com. Larry Fine's work is a good resource.

Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2779001
11/07/18 03:53 PM
11/07/18 03:53 PM
48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
T
TheophilusCarter Online content
TheophilusCarter  Online Content
T

48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
squidbot, thanks for that. I'm newish around here, but as someone who has been very active on forums devoted to other instruments (bass is my main gig), I have always found it useful to have a wide variety off suggestions and recommendations from other players. Telling me "try it for yourself" is not helpful; I know, and I will, and I do. But I like to hear from everyone else, not expecting some universal, objective consensus, but just to get some opinions to give me a starting point. There's also the argument that this is, you know, a DISCUSSION forum, so discussing various things about pianos seems kinda appropriate ...

Decent upright bassist, aspiring decent pianist
Casio PX-160, Casio CDP-130
Roland KC-80
Pianoteq 6 Stage (used with Pearl MalletStation)
Re: First digital piano [Re: Chrispy] #2779011
11/07/18 04:21 PM
11/07/18 04:21 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by squidbot
Yes, but eventually we'll have a corpus that we could combine in to a "beginners look here for your first piano, then come ask" smile And honestly, I don't mind helping people even every week, that helps build a stronger community. I'd love to see more people active here and passionate about DP's to engage in discussion. This is one of my favorite forums!

As to what you love or hate, I address that, if we give pros and cons of each, we are providing info while still having the buyer make their own, hopefully more educated choice.

There is no one perfect beginners piano. The three pianos listed are perfectly suited to beginners irrespective of what kind of music they prefer or want to play. So the advice as given by others is to choose the one that the OP likes best. Or, as others have suggested, read the many reviews at various music stores, or even search the threads in this forum.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2779063
11/07/18 06:35 PM
11/07/18 06:35 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Speaking of cheap pianos ... I was at Costco this afternoon.
They had a P45 for $400. Not a great piano, but for $400 it was decent.
And there was an Artesia "Micro Grand" for $1300. How do you spell J*U*N*K ?

To the OP: Your list (AP700, CLP635, CA48, CN37) is a good one.
And if it were me buying from that list I'd choose the CA48.

Mind you, I've never tried A CA48 (but you SHOULD before you buy).
But I like it for the price, and for the fact that it's a Kawai not a Yamaha. (I've tired of the heavy feel of my Clavinova.)

Re: First digital piano [Re: Chrispy] #2779071
11/07/18 07:09 PM
11/07/18 07:09 PM
L
Learux Online content

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Online Content

500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by squidbot
Yes, but eventually we'll have a corpus that we could combine in to a "beginners look here for your first piano, then come ask" smile And honestly, I don't mind helping people even every week, that helps build a stronger community.

OP picked 3 good piano's, no need to overanalyze this. They all do more or less the same thing. I would say pick the one that feels best to you and you have a winner

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2779116
11/07/18 09:31 PM
11/07/18 09:31 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

Any book we might compile would only be valid until the next NAMM....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: First digital piano [Re: Marco Rossi] #2779126
11/07/18 10:32 PM
11/07/18 10:32 PM
A
Agent88 Offline
Agent88  Offline
A

The Piano Pirate says:

"Argh matey, ye pays yer money and takes yer chances, argh."

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heintzman & Co. project opinion
by D.P.. 10/15/19 05:56 PM
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why Iā€™m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,537
Posts2,879,486
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission