Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Beemer, cathryn999, Beowulf, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, clothearednincompo, Alex C, Agent88, 17 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Overplaying #2778457
11/05/18 03:33 PM
11/05/18 03:33 PM
Houston, TX
T
tkdoyle Offline OP
tkdoyle  Offline OP
T

Houston, TX
Playing Schumann War Song (op. 68, no. 31) that has lots of fortes and staccatos. I find myself pounding at the piano to create the fortes and getting weighted down so that the staccatos are difficult; my hands tend to grip. My piano (Steinway L) has a heavyish action, and I'm on the comeback trail from years of no playing. Any suggestions to accomplish both forte and staccato without overplaying?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778478
11/05/18 04:27 PM
11/05/18 04:27 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by tkdoyle
Playing Schumann War Song (op. 68, no. 31) that has lots of fortes and staccatos. I find myself pounding at the piano to create the fortes and getting weighted down so that the staccatos are difficult; my hands tend to grip. My piano (Steinway L) has a heavyish action, and I'm on the comeback trail from years of no playing. Any suggestions to accomplish both forte and staccato without overplaying?
I have never played these pieces, but I checked out Clara’s edition of her husband’s work. There are no staccato marks in the piece. I think this may be a part of your difficulty. We tend to think of staccato as meaning ‘attack to note’ and then get off as quicly as is possible. Forunately, there are very few instances in piano music where this is the actual case.
[Linked Image]
Note the opening dynamic is only f. The sf refers only to the first note. The stress marks on the notes are there to say “These are an important part of the melodic arc. Don’t toss them off.” The upper notes in the right hand are essentially the melody of the piece and need a slight voicing emphasis. Practice slowly, releasing the tension used to play each note between each note. Feel what your body is telling you. If you practice these slowly and don’t worry about trying to play ff, you will find that the ff will occur naturally once you have the notes comfortably under your fingers.

Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778481
11/05/18 04:32 PM
11/05/18 04:32 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Later on, when you really have this piece under control, you may decide that the stress marks are meant to imitate gun sounds. This could be, though the Gatling hadn't been invented yet, so playing them evenly would be unrealistic - erratic gunfire and thus erratic playing of the octaves would be more appropriate. whistle

Re: Overplaying [Re: prout] #2778491
11/05/18 04:53 PM
11/05/18 04:53 PM
Houston, TX
T
tkdoyle Offline OP
tkdoyle  Offline OP
T

Houston, TX
Interesting. The old Schirmer edition I've been using (which, sadly, I was unable to attach) has staccatos on almost every third and sixth beat of most measures as well as beats 4-6 of measures 7 and all of measure 15...and it goes on from there. The preface does not mention the source of the articulation marks. What edition are you showing?

Re: Overplaying [Re: prout] #2778496
11/05/18 05:03 PM
11/05/18 05:03 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by prout
but I checked out Clara’s edition of her husband’s work. There are no staccato marks in the piece.

The Henle doesn't show any staccato marks either:
[Linked Image]

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778499
11/05/18 05:15 PM
11/05/18 05:15 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
The edition picture posted above is Clara Schuman’s edition of her husband’s work. There are many wonderful elements in this collection of pieces. They introduce just about every concept for musical playing. If one really digs into the markings as well as the notes, Schumann is telling you how he hears each piece. Look at this one. This is played p and clearly shows the phrase structure. It is composed in ABA. But notice the open/close hairpin in the middle of the 3rd system. What is a teacher going to tell you to do with that marking? This one marking makes all the difference in this piece.

[Linked Image]

Here is another. In measure three, how does one play a fp along with a closing hairpin? Again, if you know the conventions, these markings allow Schumann to show you how to interpret his musical ideas.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prout; 11/05/18 05:17 PM.
Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778541
11/05/18 07:04 PM
11/05/18 07:04 PM
Houston, TX
T
tkdoyle Offline OP
tkdoyle  Offline OP
T

Houston, TX
Great suggestions. Thanks! I always forget that there may be significant variations between sources. The Album for the Young is full of interesting pieces at all levels of difficulty. I would recommend it to anyone at the intermediate level. Even though it is labeled as a sort of early repertoire book, I have read that Schumann was a mature composer when he wrote these. Back to the keyboard!

Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778561
11/05/18 08:07 PM
11/05/18 08:07 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin
Regarding you original post and finding it hard to play staccato and forte. You might try imagining the key is a diving board. Put your fingers on the keys without pressing them. Now use your fingers to jump up off the keyboard, just as you would use your legs before diving. The higher you try to jump, the louder your staccato will be.

Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778677
11/06/18 08:40 AM
11/06/18 08:40 AM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
Also don't forget that power comes from the arm, not the fingers.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:
Chopin, Waltz in E minor (op. posth.)
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Mendelssohn, Op. 19 no. 2
Re: Overplaying [Re: tkdoyle] #2778679
11/06/18 08:48 AM
11/06/18 08:48 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
The marking of staccatos is an interesting topic. There are many levels and reasons for the markings.

Some staccato marks are meant as choreographic marks - that is, to indicate that you need to lift the hand away from the key in order to move it to play the next note. It is not necessarily short, just shorter than the indicated length. Brahms uses this a lot.

Some are meant to say “voice this note or these notes lightly, compared to the other lines.” Again, the note is not necessarily short. Debussy use this a lot.

Some are meant as slight ‘pings’, almost bell-like in touch. These notes are short, but usually held with pedal. Debussy use this as well.

Some are meant to be short and delicate. Chopin uses this a lot, with and without damper pedal.

Some are meant to be short and sharp. This is the least often seen.

Re: Overplaying [Re: prout] #2778684
11/06/18 08:59 AM
11/06/18 08:59 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by prout
The marking of staccatos is an interesting topic. There are many levels and reasons for the markings.

Some staccato marks are meant as choreographic marks - that is, to indicate that you need to lift the hand away from the key in order to move it to play the next note. It is not necessarily short, just shorter than the indicated length. Brahms uses this a lot.

Some are meant to say “voice this note or these notes lightly, compared to the other lines.” Again, the note is not necessarily short. Debussy use this a lot.

Some are meant as slight ‘pings’, almost bell-like in touch. These notes are short, but usually held with pedal. Debussy use this as well.

Some are meant to be short and delicate. Chopin uses this a lot, with and without damper pedal.

Some are meant to be short and sharp. This is the least often seen.

Wow. What a great list! I'm going to add this to my study binder. Are there any other levels/reasons that you can recall other than what you just listed? I've been viewing staccatos in only the last way.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Overplaying [Re: prout] #2778795
11/06/18 03:33 PM
11/06/18 03:33 PM
Houston, TX
T
tkdoyle Offline OP
tkdoyle  Offline OP
T

Houston, TX
This is a great list and reason for further study. It really may explain the markings on this edition of the piece as well as things to look for in future pieces. Thanks for this!

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission