Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Anticlock, cmb13, 90125, Artur Gajewski, AZNpiano, AprilE, AssociateX, 12 invisible), 882 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778651
11/06/18 06:38 AM
11/06/18 06:38 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Its difficult not to compare yourself to others, but you will be happier if you can manage to do it. There will always be people that play better than you.

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: Sam S] #2778655
11/06/18 07:05 AM
11/06/18 07:05 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by Sam S
Its difficult not to compare yourself to others, but you will be happier if you can manage to do it. There will always be people that play better than you.

Sam

...... and there will always be those that state ‘I wish I could play the piano’, but never take the plunge. That should be our comparison group😊..., those that ‘wish’ rather than ‘do’.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778664
11/06/18 08:04 AM
11/06/18 08:04 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

G

Owen Sound, Ontario
Originally Posted by ZanderChicago
This guy claims to have just started taking piano lessons and can play these pieces. All under a year of starting. I say NO WAY. What do you all think? Is it possible?

You have heard the one about the Tortoise and the Hare, yes?

Nothing is flawless here. All is rushed and melodic and amateurish tone quality. Expected of course, but overall seems impressive at this distance, admittedly.

At least compare apples to apples if you're going to compare at all. This Hare is focused on playing only and these snippets are from all his practice playing these pieces, I assume by rote and memory. Can he read what he plays? Has he any theory, even the most basic or posture, fingering training? If not, when is he going to learn this other stuff? It's an individual choice if he does at all and no harm in whatever choice is made, so long as it is in keeping with the desired outcome.

When they are doing great at one year, I like to see what they are doing at 5 years, then 10. Things usually start to level out by then, but we're not all out for the same things either. Some are quicker than others and that is just life. It is not a race. Stay your course and be confident in the method you are using.

Tone quality will come from playing experience and the lack of it shows, no matter how quick the progression seems to be.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: pianoloverus] #2778807
11/06/18 04:46 PM
11/06/18 04:46 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by squidbot
And edit, meant to say this but forgot, I think he's way to early to be playing Op 66. I think he's setting himself up for a lifetime of playing it poorly. But that's just my opinion.
It may be too early for this piece. but playing it poorly at this stage does not mean he can't play it much better later on.

It's an interesting question and you're probably right, I may have been hyperbolic. I guess you could "unlearn" what you've done, but man it would be hard to do that for a whole piece. In one of the pieces I'm learning now I'm just trying to undo a few months of playing fingering a certain way for one measure and it's really, really difficult to change at this point.

I will say that I'm surprised his teacher supported him learning it. For a couple of months I was playing Chopin's black key etude, but purely as a technical exercise, playing it extremely slowly and only one bar a week. It was my teacher's suggestion (I'm not a huge fan of Hanon type things), but he cautioned me about trying to think of it as something I'd turn in to repertoire. I'll probably revisit it in 10 years or so smile

Last edited by squidbot; 11/06/18 04:48 PM.

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor, Grieg Lyric Pieces Book 1
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778819
11/06/18 05:48 PM
11/06/18 05:48 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
What gets me is the rapid learning of piece after piece. I suppose it’s possible but to learn piano AND to read music that quickly he must be quite a prodigy. Good for him. Wish I could learn that quickly.

But what really amazes me is that he has a million and a half views!!! Holy cow! That’s even more than some silly cat videos.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: Peyton] #2778836
11/06/18 06:57 PM
11/06/18 06:57 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Peyton
[...]That’s even more than some silly cat videos.

How silly do cats have to be before they can make videos! smile

Cheers, folks!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: Peyton] #2778893
11/07/18 03:55 AM
11/07/18 03:55 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T

Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by Peyton
But what really amazes me is that he has a million and a half views!!! Holy cow! That’s even more than some silly cat videos.

When it comes to YouTube videos, sometimes we forget the audience is not very sophisticated. Many of them probably don't play music of any kind. Anybody who can play at an advanced level can attract an audience. We are not talking about viewers who may be music teachers and even ones who teach at an university or a prestigious music school who are looking for good dynamics, phrasing, etc.

A few years ago, I came across a YouTube video with the title "3 year old violinist" presumably from Korea. The video featured a young lady playing "Twinkle Variations" from Suzuki Book 1. In just a year the video had over 3M views. Anybody who knows the Suzuki music program, students are required to learn the Twinkle Variations by ear and perform the pieces in their first recital at the end of the year. Every day you see new comments that numbered in the thousands. Some complemented on her wonderful playing that she is a prodigy while others criticized the parents for pushing the kid into music at such a young age (that she didn't choose to play an instrument on her own sort of thing). And others talked about her "stabbing the instrument". The way students play the Twinkle Var. tend to be rather mechanical repeating each note 4x with different rhythms. A friend of my family got their 2 kids (around age 5) enrolled in the Suzuki piano & violin programs. They had to go through the same repertoire starting with Book 1 Twinkle Var. as the first pieces on the list. Back then the 2 kids did not post their videos online. Some people think a kid at age 3 who can perform even a easy piece without mistakes is a genius.

-------------------

The first thing I can pick out on this YouTube video is that the man who learned his pieces for over a year did not "read" music. There is no indication anywhere whether he learned from sheet music and then memorized his pieces or he simply followed YouTube demos on finger sequences and would learn his pieces completely by ear.
His hands seemed relaxed with nice phrasing / hand gestures. Many of us struggled playing the right notes... never mind the phrasing & dynamics.

I know a man who learned by play by watching YouTube demos. For the past 3 years he learned to play just 5 advanced pieces which he would practice for many months. And he put off learning notations as being too difficult and would only get into a piece if he can find video demos... no concern for the technical stuff: tempo, dynamics, Key Signature, Time Signature even don't get into counting beats.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2778994
11/07/18 02:42 PM
11/07/18 02:42 PM
P
philipraposo1982 Offline
philipraposo1982  Offline
P

I rarely post here and this is kind of why.

I know what I am about to say is going to trigger a bunch of you but here it goes.

Many time people on here sound very elitist. Who cares how he progressed, why he plays, if he learned theory, can he read sheet music, did he watch demos, ect..

I feel many new piano players will steer clear from this forum for this reason. Feeling like they will be critised to no end because of how they play.

I for one go by the rule that if we can't offer something constructive to say and offer feedback in a positive way then we shouldn't say anything at all.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: philipraposo1982] #2779017
11/07/18 03:47 PM
11/07/18 03:47 PM
Warsaw
P
Purrblast Offline
Purrblast  Offline
P

Warsaw
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982

(...)
Many time people on here sound very elitist. Who cares how he progressed, why he plays, if he learned theory, can he read sheet music, did he watch demos, ect..
(...)

Speaking for myself: I'm new here and also beginner and I have to admit that I was tempted to post this link here myself. I was just curious of the opinions (from colleagues with more years under belt as well as teaching experience) and I'm glad someone else posted it. Didn't find replies elitist and tbh I identify with some of the shared opinions.

I feel many new piano players will steer clear from this forum for this reason. Feeling like they will be critised to no end because of how they play.

I for one go by the rule that if we can't offer something constructive to say and offer feedback in a positive way then we shouldn't say anything at all.

Personally I registered to look for criticism as as beginner I don't have much experience to share and help. And I'm glad that people express freely here. There are not many places where piano loving comunity "hang out". Others that I found are either half-dead (pianostreet, though I found some brilliant posts in history) or not very structured with lots of post that I'm not very interested in (/r/piano and lots of questions that are answered in faq).

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: philipraposo1982] #2779049
11/07/18 04:48 PM
11/07/18 04:48 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida

I know what I am about to say is going to trigger a bunch of you but here it goes.

This was not posted by the pianist asking for feedback, but by someone whoo just found the YouTube. Videos. This is a Different situation than a forum member asking for help and feedback. If you look at the general feedback from the ABF recitals, the comments are supportive regardless of the level and the quality.

This was different, and many of the comments were based on the thought of
‘He really did this???? I didn’t’. Is he real? How good is he REALLY

IMHO, a waste of time to compare ourselves to others.... just human nature.... but not cruel to question a meteoric progression.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: philipraposo1982] #2779051
11/07/18 04:51 PM
11/07/18 04:51 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA

Certainly there is no call for plain old meanness, and I think here on the ABF when it does occur, it's an outlier.

As for who cares how he progressed, well, a lot of people. It's an interesting topic for discussion. Some will find tips and/or inspiration for their own studies.

Over the years I've been on this forum, I've never had the impression it's elitist in the least. Many of the people who post here on a regular basis are passionate about music (piano, specifically) and invest a fair amount of their time and energy to the pursuit of it. It's not elitist to form your own opinions and discuss what you've learned from your own experiences.

[Linked Image]
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: philipraposo1982] #2779052
11/07/18 04:56 PM
11/07/18 04:56 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida

My opinion of the forum differs. I come here for support, guidance, education, companionship (my friends and family have no interest whatsoever in this hobby), and try to offer the same when possible. It has met my expectations, and I generally don’t get involved in the tiresome debates about teacher / no teacher, etc. I hope you can get out of it what I have, which has been a tremendous amount.

My opinion on this person is who knows? With a lot of hard work, motivation, and time I’m sure one can progress very rapidly. I cannot but I’m perfectly pleased with my progress nonetheless. I’m doing better than some, not as well as others, and really don’t care. I’m noncompetitive, just doing the best I can personally.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: cmb13] #2779056
11/07/18 05:02 PM
11/07/18 05:02 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by cmb13
I’m doing better than some, not as well as others, and really don’t care. I’m noncompetitive, just doing the best I can personally.

thumb thumb

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779073
11/07/18 06:18 PM
11/07/18 06:18 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

"It's not about comparing yourself to what someone else is today, rather, it's about comparing yourself to what you were yesterday".

Can't remember where that's from, but you get the point.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779089
11/07/18 07:08 PM
11/07/18 07:08 PM
M
Michael P Walsh Offline
Michael P Walsh  Offline
M

This guy covers it later on in the video, comparisons are futile.
His videos tend to be quite lengthy. I didn't care for his 'zen like' approach but now I'm seriously having second thoughts. I tend to make many many mistakes in playing, ridiculously frequent. He wanted me to stop thinking about playing. I didn't know how to do that, seemed impossible. Then I suddenly found myself listening to the actual sound rather than the physical activity of moving fingers. Mistakes suddenly became much less frequent. Maybe he's on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enAp8px6tg

Last edited by Michael P Walsh; 11/07/18 07:09 PM.
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: Zaphod] #2779117
11/07/18 08:32 PM
11/07/18 08:32 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Zaphod
"It's not about comparing yourself to what someone else is today, rather, it's about comparing yourself to what you were yesterday".

Can't remember where that's from, but you get the point.

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779158
11/08/18 12:51 AM
11/08/18 12:51 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T

Toronto, Canada
Everybody has a different reason why they would pick up music and play an instrument such as reducing stress, keeping the mind healthy, etc. If we would compare ourselves to other people who are supposedly more talented than we are, then more than half the people including myself wouldn't get into playing piano in the first place. Many people who took lessons before no longer play and the piano is just sitting at home like a piece of furniture.

If somebody came up with a faster way to master advanced pieces whether by reading music, playing by ear, etc. we are all curious to find out and learn some new tricks.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: thepianoplayer416] #2779159
11/08/18 12:57 AM
11/08/18 12:57 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416

If somebody came up with a faster way to master advanced pieces whether by reading music, playing by ear, etc. we are all curious to find out and learn some new tricks.

But here's the thing. There aren't any tricks. Just a lot of hard work.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779213
11/08/18 07:45 AM
11/08/18 07:45 AM
India
M
ManishP Offline
ManishP  Offline
M

India
That is why I never see such videos - progress of beginners! I feel I will get depressed 😀. Most will be so much better than me. And now I clicked on the link and it opened in the YouTube app. And now app will keep suggesting beginner's videos🙁.

On a serious note, this forum has been a huge help for me. My playing has become a bit better and easier because of suggestions here.

Wish I had started earlier!
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2779231
11/08/18 09:07 AM
11/08/18 09:07 AM
Belgium
SideShow Offline
SideShow  Offline

Belgium
Do you really believe this guy started at age 15 with no musical knowledge whatsoever and is playing Fantaisie-Impromptu when he is 16? (I'm just guessing his age). Come on...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cutting down the sides of a Keyboard
by Connor Price. 01/19/19 12:03 AM
Finally Posted Photos of New AA
by DDobs. 01/18/19 11:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,662
Posts2,783,449
Members92,155
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission