Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
89 registered members (36251, baudelairepianist, astrotoy, amyram, apianostudent, AndrewJCW, 21 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me #2778327
11/05/18 08:43 AM
11/05/18 08:43 AM
Y
yairspolter Offline OP
yairspolter  Offline OP
Y

Hi everyone! 👋
I'm working on a research project about piano teachers and I would really appreciate if you can fill out this 1 minute survey (and share with other people that could help). In appreciation for helping, one of the participants will win an 💲Amazon gift card.💲
The survey is here:
https://goo.gl/forms/vqrk3K1SjgWt70Ra2

Thank you!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778334
11/05/18 09:06 AM
11/05/18 09:06 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by yairspolter
Hi everyone! 👋
I'm working on a research project about piano teachers and I would really appreciate if you can fill out this 1 minute survey (and share with other people that could help). In appreciation for helping, one of the participants will win an 💲Amazon gift card.💲
The survey is here:
https://goo.gl/forms/vqrk3K1SjgWt70Ra2

Thank you!

Kindly answer how a bunch of people guessing at the number of piano teachers helps with your research project. How will this data be used?

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778417
11/05/18 02:37 PM
11/05/18 02:37 PM
Foster City, CA, US
K
Ken Iisaka Offline
Ken Iisaka  Offline
K

Foster City, CA, US
The questionnaire almost looks like a job interview question given to engineers at some tech companies. It tests the candidate for their instinct to understand the scale of the problems encountered with incomplete data. The final answer itself isn't always that important, but the process is critical, because as more information is given, the answer becomes more accurate.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Ken Iisaka] #2778419
11/05/18 02:50 PM
11/05/18 02:50 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
The questionnaire almost looks like a job interview question given to engineers at some tech companies. It tests the candidate for their instinct to understand the scale of the problems encountered with incomplete data. The final answer itself isn't always that important, but the process is critical, because as more information is given, the answer becomes more accurate.

I think you are giving the OP way too much credit.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778446
11/05/18 04:07 PM
11/05/18 04:07 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Lexington, Kentucky
Hmm... as a former psychology professor, I'm guessing that the OP is replicating research on scale anchor effects. That is, I'd wager that some respondents are seeing choices that range from <25,000 to >500,000 (what I see when I click on the link), and others are seeing a response scale with different anchors (<100,000 to >2 million, say).

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Monica K.] #2778455
11/05/18 04:28 PM
11/05/18 04:28 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Hmm... as a former psychology professor, I'm guessing that the OP is replicating research on scale anchor effects. That is, I'd wager that some respondents are seeing choices that range from <25,000 to >500,000 (what I see when I click on the link), and others are seeing a response scale with different anchors (<100,000 to >2 million, say).

Maybe..., but all of our responses will be a complete guess as we have no verified baseline data available. In addition, the OP states he will throw out the outlier responses to the survey (see his other thread)

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778465
11/05/18 04:51 PM
11/05/18 04:51 PM
Germany
E
Eric399 Offline
Eric399  Offline
E

Germany
To me, this looks like the OP's request to do all his work for him...

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778508
11/05/18 06:40 PM
11/05/18 06:40 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Why is it that most of the responses here are filled with suspicion? Why can’t you people, for once, actually contribute positively to a request rather than engage in pointless drivel? I offer up the ‘Teacher Cancellations” thread as an example of the typical standard displayed.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: prout] #2778519
11/05/18 07:00 PM
11/05/18 07:00 PM
Y
yairspolter Offline OP
yairspolter  Offline OP
Y

Thank you. I honestly am just asking for some assistance with an assignment. I appreciate your trust.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778569
11/05/18 09:19 PM
11/05/18 09:19 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I've seen some strange questions by students coming into the forum of my own profession, and I'm thinking that some professors are just too much in their own academic worlds to think practically. So their students are stuck with these odd questions. I suppose this is more of the same.

I looked up the population of the United States. I figured out that if an average number of students was 30, and if I multiplied the highest number of teachers given in the choices, what kind of numbers would I get? It was still only a fraction of the population of the US so I figured that might be a plausible answer. In actual fact, it can't be known. People can teach music without registering the fact anywhere, so it stays undocumented and untraceable.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778597
11/06/18 12:50 AM
11/06/18 12:50 AM
C
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Candywoman  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

The answer is too many. There are too many piano teachers.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Candywoman] #2778661
11/06/18 08:43 AM
11/06/18 08:43 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Candywoman
The answer is too many. There are too many piano teachers.

Yes, too many. And not enough good ones.

Learner
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: keystring] #2778669
11/06/18 09:19 AM
11/06/18 09:19 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by keystring
I've seen some strange questions by students coming into the forum of my own profession, and I'm thinking that some professors are just too much in their own academic worlds to think practically. So their students are stuck with these odd questions. I suppose this is more of the same.

I looked up the population of the United States. I figured out that if an average number of students was 30, and if I multiplied the highest number of teachers given in the choices, what kind of numbers would I get? It was still only a fraction of the population of the US so I figured that might be a plausible answer. In actual fact, it can't be known. People can teach music without registering the fact anywhere, so it stays undocumented and untraceable.
I spent six weeks one summer on scholarship between third and fourth year high school in intensive study of conceptual mathematics. (4 hours classes 8 hours homework in resisdence under monitor, six days a week in the US paid for by the govenment - Cold war and all, ya know) The knowledge I gained in allows me to understand how randomized data collection can produce accurate answers. I can show you how to converge on the the value of pi by repeatedly and randomly dropping a toothpick on the floor. If you understand the math, which is trivial, arriving at the answer is also trivial.

Again, I ask, why not just answer the original question? The answer can be known.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: yairspolter] #2778674
11/06/18 09:35 AM
11/06/18 09:35 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
I randomly pick a cell phone SIM ICCID or IMSI (these are like serial numbers for the cell phone, but have no personal identifying characteristics), without knowing the cell phone number or numbers to which it calls or anything about the person using it. I decide to monitor its pinging of cell phone towers for two weeks, which gives me the location of the cell phone relative to cell towers at all times, but no geographic Lat/Long data, since that is private and encoded. I then have my computer overlay the unique pattern of ping location dots on a map of the world until it finds a matching pattern of cell phone towers. The result is - I know where you live and where you go to work every day, so by searching public records I know who you are and the company for which you work. I know where you shop, and eventually what kind of food you like, clothes you wear, and so on. The more pings I collect the more intimate my knowledge will be of you, and I gained all this knowledge without every compromising your privacy.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: prout] #2778695
11/06/18 10:36 AM
11/06/18 10:36 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by prout
Why is it that most of the responses here are filled with suspicion? Why can’t you people, for once, actually contribute positively to a request rather than engage in pointless drivel? I offer up the ‘Teacher Cancellations” thread as an example of the typical standard displayed.

This is because we, as teachers, have been burned too many times and have seen it all before. OPs such as this one and the one in the "Teacher Cancellations" threads raise a lot of red flags that many of us recognize as indicating a lack of sincerity.

I used to be heavily involved in musicology research (specifically in traditional American fiddle styles). I've washed my hands of that, partially because of trouble caused by "researchers" working for private "institutions." Forget that.

I would want to see some academic qualifications before assisting anyone with research. Specifically, I insist on the following information before "helping" any "researcher":

• Current university affiliation
  • Publication history with links to freely accessible PDFs
  • Link to freely accessible PDF of doctoral dissertation
  • If researcher is a graduate student, then I want the above information of their advisor and confirmation from said advisor

Legitimate academic researchers have no problem providing the above.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2778702
11/06/18 11:31 AM
11/06/18 11:31 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers

This is because we, as teachers, have been burned too many times and have seen it all before. OPs such as this one and the one in the "Teacher Cancellations" threads raise a lot of red flags that many of us recognize as indicating a lack of sincerity.

I used to be heavily involved in musicology research (specifically in traditional American fiddle styles). I've washed my hands of that, partially because of trouble caused by "researchers" working for private "institutions." Forget that.

I would want to see some academic qualifications before assisting anyone with research. Specifically, I insist on the following information before "helping" any "researcher":

• Current university affiliation
  • Publication history with links to freely accessible PDFs
  • Link to freely accessible PDF of doctoral dissertation
  • If researcher is a graduate student, then I want the above information of their advisor and confirmation from said advisor

Legitimate academic researchers have no problem providing the above.
A reasonable expectation. I agree.

On the other hand, the original question was asking for vectors to data sources. I don’t see I could get burned by the answer I gave to the original question.

I also expect, but rarely see provided by posters on PW forums, any published evidence to back up their opinions or claims. I either disregard their opinions or tell them I find their contribution worthless, which gets me into a lot of trouble. I don’t care, because I joined PW in hopes of having enlightened arguments on technique and interpretation of keyboard music. Sadly, I find little of that.

Thank you for providing a considered and verifiable opinion on the matter. It is truly appreciated.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: prout] #2778719
11/06/18 12:45 PM
11/06/18 12:45 PM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas

...I joined PW in hopes of having enlightened arguments on technique and interpretation of keyboard music. Sadly, I find little of that.

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Probably best not to try in an open forum. We would probably need a private forum where the members were vetted on their qualifications and abilities... but that would be a whole other can of worms.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2778721
11/06/18 12:53 PM
11/06/18 12:53 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
hello my name is  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
[quote=prout]
...I joined PW in hopes of having enlightened arguments on technique and interpretation of keyboard music. Sadly, I find little of that.

I have searched the Internet a little for discussion groups on technique. There's a FB group called Piano Technique Discussion. Maybe try there?

~piano teacher in training~
Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: hello my name is] #2778752
11/06/18 02:24 PM
11/06/18 02:24 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by hello my name is
[quote=prout]

I have searched the Internet a little for discussion groups on technique. There's a FB group called Piano Technique Discussion. Maybe try there?
Thanks. I didn’t know about it.

Re: Please answer a quick question about piano teachers for me [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2778779
11/06/18 03:44 PM
11/06/18 03:44 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA

After grad school, I swore I was never going back to get another advanced degree.

The question posed by the OP reminded me how stupid and irrelevant college courses can be.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has anybody used Schaum series?
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:41 PM
Looking for a new teacher
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:23 PM
Missing Marty...5 years on
by Retsacnal. 10/22/19 09:42 PM
"Standard" Regulation Job
by Seeker. 10/22/19 08:58 PM
Best Online Jazz Piano Courses?
by PlayitSam. 10/22/19 08:54 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,681
Posts2,882,299
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission