2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I just tried to turn on and use a Yamaha YPG-535 digital piano after 5 years of not being used at all. Unfortunately, it's not producing any sound. It powers up and the screen lights up. I've tried numerous voices, adjusting the volume up and down, everything I can think of. But no sound comes out of it. When you play a song the light even blinks on and off. But no sound. Is it possible the sound has been muted somehow? Any other ideas?

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by projecttoday
I just tried to turn on and use a Yamaha YPG-535 digital piano after 5 years of not being used at all. Unfortunately, it's not producing any sound. It powers up and the screen lights up. I've tried numerous voices, adjusting the volume up and down, everything I can think of. But no sound comes out of it. When you play a song the light even blinks on and off. But no sound. Is it possible the sound has been muted somehow? Any other ideas?

You will need a technician to look at it. It may be something as simple as a cable that got disconnected. It may also be a faulty electrical component, with the capacitors being the usual culprit. Capacitors tend to be the weakest link in electrical circuits such as power supplies and sound amplifiers as they have a limited lifespan even when used regularly on a suitable environment. But a capacitor (especially electrolytic capacitors) also degrade when stored or not in use due to chemical reactions involving the electrolyte. This is why capacitors have a "use by" date. Five years of storage would be above the recommended shelf life that leading capacitor manufacturers state on their specs. If it is a capacitor fault and there was no leakage, then it might be a simple repair. So, call a technician!

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D

Try resetting the instrument (maybe backup settings prior to running the reset). If after resetting, it still won't play, then phone for a qualified technician.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is there a headphone adapter still lodged in the headphone output?

When I was younger there were several times where that was the source of the problem.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good point Dave. Sometimes the biggest problems are caused by the simplest issues.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Also, try it with headphones. If that works then there is an issue with it's audio amp.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Does midi working at least ? Maybe you can still use it with PC if sound chip is gone.

I think it would be revealing if the OP had an answer to the question: How much will it cost to repair this piano?

M
M
Pretty hard to answer that question when no one knows what is wrong with it. It could be anything from a simple fault to one that requires parts or component level repair. Someone has to take the thing apart, diagnose the problem and give a quote. Back in the day when I was doing a bit of electronic servicing (long time ago) that was a free quote. I would be surprised if people are still doing that. You'll probably have to pay a minimum charge for someone to take a look at it.

Last edited by Michael P Walsh; 10/06/18 04:12 AM.
Exactly. It has to go to a repair shop.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all who replied. I apologize for the delay in responding. I have not been receiving notification e-mails. (Maybe my fault, I don't know.) I will check out these suggestions.

I don't know of any technicians and I doubt that there are any where I live. How would I find one? Yellow pages of a large city? Under what? Does the Guitar Center have them (never been to one.)?

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks to all who replied. I apologize for the delay in responding. I have not been receiving notification e-mails. (Maybe my fault, I don't know.) I will check out these suggestions.

I don't know of any technicians and I doubt that there are any where I live. How would I find one? Yellow pages of a large city? Under what? Does the Guitar Center have them (never been to one.)?

Call Yamaha and ask them for an authorized service center close to your area.
https://www.yamaha.com/en/contact_us/ (if your are in the US https://usa.yamaha.com/support/contacts/pac/)

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you.

A
A
There is a button called "Function". If you press that button, then use the dial to cycle through all the "function" options, you should reach one that says:

local on/off.

If you turn that one off, the built-in keyboard makes no sound. Maybe somebody turned it off? See owner's manual:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/335377/dgx530_en_om_b0.pdf

Page 91, category MIDI.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you. So I powered up. Pressed the Function button. On the screen, something like this:

...............................................FUNCTION
VOLUME
Language...................................................................Song Volume

..............................................Style Volume

Style Volume and 040 are black buttons of sorts. At this point, pressing a key produces no sound. When I turn the large, black wheel over to the right the number changes but no sound from the keys. What am I doing wrong?

I doubt you're doing anything wrong.

You powered it up. That's normal.
You pressed buttons. That's normal.

The piano mis-behaved. That's not normal. It's broken.
Get it repaired. That's all. Really.

P
OP Offline
P
Well, I took guyl's suggestion and hunted up some headphones and, yes, it works through the headphones. Thanks, guyl. I guess that means the problem is with the audio amp and I have to take it to a technician. Unless, somebody can think of anything else.

Thanks, all.

P
OP Offline
P
Wait! After I took the headphones out it started working! Knock on wood. So it's okay now. Great! Thanks, all, especially guyl.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission