Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
93 registered members (15shoes, AssociateX, ArchLivingIt, 90125, A Guy, AnnInMiami, accordeur, AndyP, 23 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Retsacnal] #2748264
06/30/18 09:06 AM
06/30/18 09:06 AM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
People try to write things into legal agreements all the time that aren't enforceable. Steinway is far from alone in trying this.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2748320
06/30/18 12:06 PM
06/30/18 12:06 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

🎹
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
People try to write things into legal agreements all the time that aren't enforceable. Steinway is far from alone in trying this.

Absolutely! I have no doubt that there will be attorneys eager to represent people on either side of this debate. But that gets to the essence of my overarching premise: that I would not want to be the one facing Steinway in a lawsuit of this nature. Win, lose or draw, it's going to be expensive. Those with the deepest pockets tend to prevail in fights of this nature.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Retsacnal] #2748323
06/30/18 12:57 PM
06/30/18 12:57 PM
D
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member
DanS  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
.. I would not want to be the one facing Steinway in a lawsuit of this nature. Win, lose or draw, it's going to be expensive. Those with the deepest pockets tend to prevail in fights of this nature.

Winning a lawsuit that angers a larger portion of the community that 1) services your instruments and 2) helps to guide purchasing decisions of your instruments would truly be a Pyrrhic victory.

This is all crazy speculation anyway at this point. It would be nice to have some sort of official word as to what's happening.

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: DanS] #2748358
06/30/18 03:47 PM
06/30/18 03:47 PM
Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
K
Keith D Kerman Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Keith D Kerman  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by DanS
.. I would not want to be the one facing Steinway in a lawsuit of this nature. Win, lose or draw, it's going to be expensive. Those with the deepest pockets tend to prevail in fights of this nature.

Winning a lawsuit that angers a larger portion of the community that 1) services your instruments and 2) helps to guide purchasing decisions of your instruments would truly be a Pyrrhic victory.

This is all crazy speculation anyway at this point. It would be nice to have some sort of official word as to what's happening.

This post wins for use of the word pyrrhic. However, because it was capitalized, 3 points are deducted.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out http://sitkadoc.com/
www.twitter.com/pianocraft https://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Keith D Kerman] #2748384
06/30/18 05:29 PM
06/30/18 05:29 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

🎹
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

This post wins for use of the word pyrrhic. However, because it was capitalized, 3 points are deducted.

I cringe every time I see the expression "Pyrrhic victory." Sadly, my brother belongs to a creepy religious cult. A few years ago I discovered that his wife was proselytizing my then middle school aged daughters, and I put a stop to it. It ended up causing a big dust up on Facebook, and all her koolaide drinking friends chimed in. She was embarrassed.

My brother chided me afterwards--and frequently in the interim--that I'd only won a "Pyrrhic victory," costing me family relationships. Ironically, it hasn't seemed to cost me any. He keeps badgering me, and she keeps badgering my girls in weird efforts to prove that they aren't weird. Sometimes I want to say, "please, at least allow me the spoils of my Pyrrhic victory!" wink

[Linked Image]

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: DanS] #2748395
06/30/18 06:06 PM
06/30/18 06:06 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

🎹

I don't think it's any particular loss to Steinway when someone who'd like a Steinway but won't go through Steinway channels to acquire one is offended. What's that person's recourse: to still not buy from Steinway? And some "on the fence" folks will go ahead and buy a new Steinway as opposed to a non-Steinway rebuilt one, or have Steinway rebuild it when they otherwise might not have. Both are "wins" for Steinway.

Agreed!

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2748762
07/02/18 10:58 AM
07/02/18 10:58 AM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Seattle Area
And the thing is, if you looked at the number of Steinway pianos available for sale at any given moment and put it on a pie chart, I think you'd find the lion's share would be used Steinways that were NOT restored because they were not at that point. Steinways less than 50 years old, etc. It very well may be true S&S has their own name to fear above all else with competition, but it's hard for them to make a decent case to someone who buys a nice, well-maintained B from the 90s for say $49,000 that they should pony up another 60 grand (plus tax!) for one they got to select that was brand new. Granted, Steinway NY has made a lot of really nice manufacturing improvements over the last decade, but I digress.

I will admit I've never really looked into their own restoration instruments very much because, frankly, I appreciate the styling of Steinway's post-20s contemporary design and one of those gaudy, flowery Edwardian grands would look pretty out of place in my home, no matter how beautifully it sounded. With these older instruments getting rarer and rarer maybe Steinway is trying to shore up their older restoration grands?

I don't think there is any kind of Machiavellian intent here. I think it just comes down to the fact that, while Steinway may not have a specific business reason to discontinue licensing decals, they realized they really had no incentive to allow them either. What IP holder giveth, IP holder taketh away. Anyway, various SVG vector images of Steinway logos exist online and I'm sure someone in China or another foreign market with a cheap laser cutter will come to the rebuilders' rescue.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2776454
10/29/18 12:25 PM
10/29/18 12:25 PM
New York State
E
edthetuner Offline
edthetuner  Offline
E

New York State
In my humble opinion, this is so short sighted on Steinway's part. Imagine the hundreds of vintage Ford automobile restoration garages being told by ford, "you cannot use the Ford logo on your car if you rebuild/repaint it. It's patently absurd. I've never seen a non Steinway piano, re-labelled as a Steinway product. The closest I came to that was a rebuilt Everett grand with proper decal and plate label, that the family who bought it was told it was a Steinway product so they bought it.
I have refinished several old Steinway's over the years and I always replaced the old decal with the historically accurate new decal. Now, I know some re-builders think taking off vintage legs and music desks to modernize the appearance, then removing any sign of the of the serial number will help them sell the piano as newer. This practice is at its best unethical and crooked, but again, in my humble opinion, it is still a compliment to Steinway's quality. All that being said, I would never, ever buy myself or encourage anybody to buy a rebuilt Steinway without a fallboard decal. It's like having a freshly restored Rolls Royce without the upright grill and mascot on front.
Also in my 25 years of being a tec., I have never seen anybody looking at rebuilt or "restored" Steinways, decide to go ahead and double their budget for a new one. I think for what Steinway charges for rebuilds, which leave nothing original, but the case and plate, not only defeats the idea of having a vintage Steinway, but I have found "all new" vintage "rebuilt by Steinway" pianos play and sound like a modern piano; meaning not as robust or rich as the old one.
Bad idea on Steinway's part. It won't really affect their sales or bottom line, but for technicians nationwide, the loss of respect will start the loss of reputation.

Mr. Ed
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: edthetuner] #2776726
10/30/18 08:59 AM
10/30/18 08:59 AM
St Louis, MO
J
jcgee88 Offline
jcgee88  Offline
J

St Louis, MO
Originally Posted by edthetuner
Steinway...rebuilds...leave nothing original, but the case and plate...

This is not quite accurate, as Steinway will leave in whatever original usable parts the owner requests. For example, they asked me if I wanted to replace the key tops, to make them perfect, but I had them instead refurbish the ivory, even though some of the ivory has tiny cracks. Of course, your statement would be accurate for a worse case, heavily damaged instrument. So the minimum is the original case and plate, yes. Additionally, refurbished original parts in mine are: Lyre and pedals. Keys, keytops, and keyframe. Action frame. [I can't tell whether the dampers are new or were refurbished.]

Based on how much of the original action and keyboard are left, my sense is that the touch and feel are similar to what the original was. Having played brand-new, same-model Steinways at the dealer that is only a half mile from my house, I can tell that playing a new Steinway is quite a different experience than playing my vintage Steinway.

I have found "all new" vintage "rebuilt by Steinway" pianos ... sound like a modern piano; meaning not as robust or rich as the old one.

This may well be true, though there is no way for me to tell exactly on my own piano, because it had no voice before I sent it off to be restored. Also, I like the sound of a modern Steinway, so that is no deficit for me.

John

Last edited by jcgee88; 10/30/18 09:02 AM.

1922 Steinway Model O, restored by Steinway Restoration Center, 2016. PianoDisc, installed 2017.
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: jcgee88] #2776744
10/30/18 09:59 AM
10/30/18 09:59 AM
K
Keith D Kerman Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Keith D Kerman  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by jcgee88
Steinway...rebuilds...leave nothing original, but the case and plate...

This is not quite accurate, as Steinway will leave in whatever original usable parts the owner requests. For example, they asked me if I wanted to replace the key tops, to make them perfect, but I had them instead refurbish the ivory, even though some of the ivory has tiny cracks. Of course, your statement would be accurate for a worse case, heavily damaged instrument. So the minimum is the original case and plate, yes. Additionally, refurbished original parts in mine are: Lyre and pedals. Keys, keytops, and keyframe. Action frame. [I can't tell whether the dampers are new or were refurbished.]

Based on how much of the original action and keyboard are left, my sense is that the touch and feel are similar to what the original was. Having played brand-new, same-model Steinways at the dealer that is only a half mile from my house, I can tell that playing a new Steinway is quite a different experience than playing my vintage Steinway.

I have found "all new" vintage "rebuilt by Steinway" pianos ... sound like a modern piano; meaning not as robust or rich as the old one.

This may well be true, though there is no way for me to tell exactly on my own piano, because it had no voice before I sent it off to be restored. Also, I like the sound of a modern Steinway, so that is no deficit for me.

John

I didn't know Steinway ( at least for the last decade or more ) would restore the parts you are listing. We have gotten several recently rebuilt by the Steinway factory Steinways and in the last few years they are always with new keysets including a new keyframe, never with restored keys and restored keytops. My understanding is that when Steinway rebuilds a piano they do everything possible new but the plate and rim. There might be exceptions on extremely old Steinways but yours is modern being from 1922.

Because new Steinway hammers are so different in sound from the hammers that were on your piano originally, for good or for bad, your piano sounds quite different than when it was original. Also, the weight of the hammers is significantly higher in current Steinway hammers compared to what they used in 1922 and I have never seen Steinway reduce their hammer mass to achieve a more authentic sound. The point of this is that significantly heavier hammers significantly change the sound and touch, well, significantly. This is no criticism of your piano, just a statement of fact. That you like your piano so much is the important part and had it been restored with an approach prioritizing authenticity you might not have liked as much.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out http://sitkadoc.com/
www.twitter.com/pianocraft https://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777266
11/01/18 12:52 PM
11/01/18 12:52 PM
Chesterfield. MA
C
Craig Hair Offline
Craig Hair  Offline
C

Chesterfield. MA
This is Richard. not Craig. We had an 1872 Bluthner, and could not get the soundboard decal, the decal people wanted close to $900.00 to make us one, and I really haven't seen any exact copy's. Well, we had a freind here at Hampshire College, he took a good photo, made it the exact dimensions, on the best, thinnest photo paper, and "voila" we had an exact reproduction, for $0.17 a copy, "seventeen cents"so I made several. The first one I ruined, trying to shellac polish over it, I had to use sanding sealer over it first, then it wes possible to do so, "fr.polish" the whole board. So I thought I'd share this with those who are concerned with authentic restoration. It worked well and it is extremely difficult to tell it is not the original. "cloned" The grain in this original recrowned SB, is aligned with the grain in the photo, fools them good. We are defenitely going to try this on them big multicolor ones. Fall boards well ???. We're working on that next.

Here is a link to some pictures of the process.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2777259.html

Last edited by Craig Hair; 11/01/18 12:55 PM.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105412259108667869462

Sometimes, all you can hear is the cat snore.
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Craig Hair] #2777335
11/01/18 06:11 PM
11/01/18 06:11 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

🎹
Interesting, but with the large variety of proper decal stock available, why not just print on something appropriate and let the actual grain show through?

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777390
11/01/18 10:49 PM
11/01/18 10:49 PM
Chernobieff Piano Offline
Chernobieff Piano  Offline

That what I was wondering. How come you just don't print it on decal paper. I'm currently looking at different techniques myself. Check out this water slide technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IomcdNVa3Wo

Maker of Fine Piano Soundboards
Chernobieff Piano Restorations
Lenoir City, Tennessee
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777401
11/02/18 01:57 AM
11/02/18 01:57 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

🎹
Yeah, cool stuff! I refinished a guitar a couple years ago, and couldn't get a replacement decal, so I basically did the same as in that video. It was a basic black logo on the wood grain headstock.

I think this process is pretty cool too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7FKdW5ndLw

It might be good for colorful emblems on a soundboard!

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777402
11/02/18 02:00 AM
11/02/18 02:00 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

🎹
Printing wood grain might be a clever way to conceal ugly soundboard cracks! wink

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777450
11/02/18 09:33 AM
11/02/18 09:33 AM
Chesterfield. MA
C
Craig Hair Offline
Craig Hair  Offline
C

Chesterfield. MA
Hello, decal stock?, didn't know I could get that. Well---, if you could get some magic paper that eliminates all the background, then there would be no name board decal reproduction problems.
Do you folks know of this possibility, I'd like to know. There are still many pristine examples of beautiful decals "art" that should be photographed. Take a good look at the details in that Bluthner soundboard decal, honestly! do you really think I'd get back a replica that fine, like heck, the originality of the background "some of the old board look" is kool! to some, especially the owner of the instrument. I tried real hard to get a replica, this one is one of the only ones left.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Watch us on YouTube

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Craig Hair] #2777484
11/02/18 12:33 PM
11/02/18 12:33 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
There is a lot of photo software out there that can eliminate a background.

Semipro Tech
Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: Retsacnal] #2777578
11/02/18 05:15 PM
11/02/18 05:15 PM
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rod Verhnjak  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B.C. Canada
Printing wood grain might be a clever way to conceal ugly soundboard cracks! wink

Well is done with exotic veneer under polyester. People think its real. Photo finish can mean a few things in this age.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Re: Problem getting Steinway fallboard and soundboard decals? [Re: pianoloverus] #2777721
11/03/18 07:51 AM
11/03/18 07:51 AM
Chesterfield. MA
C
Craig Hair Offline
Craig Hair  Offline
C

Chesterfield. MA
Like that stuff my mother lined the kitchen drawers with? Too funny.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Watch us on YouTube

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the best sampled VST for classical piano?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/16/19 10:30 PM
Is Vassar College really as good as it looks in music?
by Forest_Hills_Daddy. 01/16/19 09:48 PM
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,612
Posts2,782,582
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission