Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Ankee, AYS, akc42, anotherscott, Animisha, Anglagard44, Beowulf, 20 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 462 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 #2777556 11/02/18 04:16 PM
cmb13 Online Content OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Warning - parental guidance suggested.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777559 11/02/18 04:24 PM
jeffscot Offline

‘we are the champions’

lola has upped the production value
lotta head jerkin goin on

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777562 11/02/18 04:33 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
My wife became a fan of Astanova after I performed brassplyer's Fantaisie Impromptu test on her - I sent her brassplyer's Pianist Corner audio link, and had her comment on the audio performance (she said it was very good) and then sent Astanova's Youtube video. As a result of this test, she visited Astanova's other Youtube videos and also forwarded the Fantaisie Impromptu video to an opera singer friend of hers. Unprompted, my wife had this to say to me about Lola and Hauser's collaboration a few days ago:

Mrs. Slothrop's opinion:
Both of them are well known and some of their attractiveness as artists is based on their appearance. That they individually appear 'eligible'. And you can fanboy/girl on them. It's really not the quality of their music even though both are conservatory-trained. But together, they appear as a 'couple'. This considerably diminishes either one's 'appeal'.

BTW, for those not aware, Hauser is one of the two cellists from the classical-crossover duo, 2CELLOS - here is Hauser's most famous Youtube video:

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777579 11/02/18 05:15 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, I'd love to play that.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: jeffscot] #2777587 11/02/18 05:57 PM
G
GoldmanT Offline
G
Originally Posted by Jefsco

Maybe if she sat a bit closer to the piano she wouldn't keep leaning backwards and forwards all the time and avoid the need for such long heels so her feet can reach the floor.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: GoldmanT] #2777590 11/02/18 06:02 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GoldmanT

Maybe if she sat a bit closer to the piano she wouldn't keep leaning backwards and forwards all the time and avoid the need for such long heels so her feet can reach the floor.

If she sat closer to the piano, how would she rub her back on Hauser, then? confused

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2777602 11/02/18 06:39 PM
G
GoldmanT Offline
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by GoldmanT

If she sat closer to the piano, how would she rub her back on Hauser, then? confused

A plain sequinless dress would be less itchy so she wouldn't feel the need. Come on girls, it's not difficult!

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777605 11/02/18 06:48 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What about this outfit? I thought I had seen her play this before.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2777612 11/02/18 06:59 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
What about this outfit? I thought I had seen her play this before.

I'm going to be asked to turn in my man-card for this, but for virtuosic piano covers of Queen songs I prefer Peter Bence's versions such these two. I think Lola just adds extra notes "because she can" and that sort of thing really only suited Liberace wink

Oops... now I've done it. For a second time, I've posted a guy's videos into what is obviously a Lola homage thread. grin

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777614 11/02/18 07:07 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, all I can say is that Astanova does NOT do anything to me...neither playing style nor musicianship...I prefer many female pianists over her. But I guess that is what makes life interesting-different tastes. grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: NobleHouse] #2777616 11/02/18 07:22 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Well, all I can say is that Astanova does NOT do anything to me...neither playing style nor musicianship...I prefer many female pianists over her. But I guess that is what makes life interesting-different tastes. grin

I think therein lies the root of her transformation. She's a talented pianist and was a big star at her conservatory, but she's graduated now, and there are many pianists out there and many are better than her. I personally think among the females who are Youtube stars, both Valentina Lisitsa and Khatia Buniatishvili are better pianists. (not counting previous-generation real-life stars like Martha Argerich). Sure she's gotten some accolades since, won an Emmy award, got to be hugged by Donald Trump (LOL), but there are a lot of pianists with more talent. If, for example, one looks at this video of her from a few years ago:

and compares this to the recent videos of her on this thread, it becomes clear how much [bio-]engineering has gone into the new Lola Astanova. My theory is that this is her way of keeping afloat in an ocean of talent where only the crème de la crème become the big successes.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777621 11/02/18 07:42 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
In regards to Female pianists who also display sexuality , I much prefer Elizabeth Roe (Anderson and Roe fame). Not only is the sensuality more subtle, IMHO she is a much better pianist. I can skip Lola

BTW: Of the piano duet scores I have seen of theirs, I would give them an excellent rating

Last edited by dogperson; 11/02/18 07:47 PM.
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: dogperson] #2777739 11/03/18 08:55 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
In regards to Female pianists who also display sexuality , I much prefer Elizabeth Roe (Anderson and Roe fame). Not only is the sensuality more subtle, IMHO she is a much better pianist. I can skip Lola

Certainly, speaking strictly of pianism and not taking into account presentation/theatrics, there must be an element of taste involved. Both have similar stature in the piano world. I note for example, Roe did not make it past the first round of the Van Cliburn, but of course just getting there was excellent. Still that sort of benchmarks Roe's level, does it not? Many people also deride Lang Lang's pianism. Each to their own, I say.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777752 11/03/18 09:54 AM
J
John305 Offline
J
I had never heard of Anderson and Roe before. I really enjoyed their performance that you posted, I’ll have to look for more of their performances on YouTube. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777760 11/03/18 10:14 AM
cmb13 Online Content OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Never heard of them, but this is an interesting video.....as a Piazzolla fan I had to watch. Interesting technique muting of the strings. Too bad the video quality is so poor.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: John305] #2777820 11/03/18 12:49 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305
I had never heard of Anderson and Roe before. I really enjoyed their performance that you posted, I’ll have to look for more of their performances on YouTube. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

My problem - and I admit that it's my problem - with Anderson and Roe is that they know just how cute they are, and that's always a big part of their videos: "Aren't we the greatest?"

That said, they are fine pianists and play extremely well together, having fun doing it, all of which is admirable. I just don't subscribe to that sub-text.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: BruceD] #2777824 11/03/18 01:21 PM
P
PianogrlNW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD

My problem - and I admit that it's my problem - with Anderson and Roe is that they know just how cute they are, and that's always a big part of their videos: "Aren't we the greatest?"

That said, they are fine pianists and play extremely well together, having fun doing it, all of which is admirable. I just don't subscribe to that sub-text.

Regards,

I know what you mean about their videos. They are a bit precious. I have seen them in concert and conducting a masterclass for university students. In both situations they came across as genuine, serious, and very accomplished pianists.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: BruceD] #2777829 11/03/18 01:48 PM
J
John305 Offline
J
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Yes, but we need to remember that this is a performance, and not just of the music. If it was just a music performance we wouldn't even need to see them, but since we are looking as well as listening the performers may feel the need to give us a visual performance as well. I wonder, how many pianists who are overly dramatic in their performances put on the same visual display when they are playing at home alone, or when they are recording?

And yes, they are selling the "how cute are we" image but is that better or worse than Lola and Hauser selling the "how sexy are we" image. If I had to choose, I'd pick the former.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: cmb13] #2777849 11/03/18 03:14 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Is this part of the "Crisis" on the thread over on the teachers' forum?

Learner
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody -Lola - PG13 [Re: John305] #2777851 11/03/18 03:21 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
I wonder, how many pianists who are overly dramatic in their performances put on the same visual display when they are playing at home alone, or when they are recording?

I'm quite certain there are none.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help determine knuckle-center pin distance
by Apache - 12/08/19 04:37 AM
“Sit-stand desk” type keyboard stand?
by Elphaba - 12/08/19 02:23 AM
Size of notation on the page
by Nikolas - 12/08/19 12:27 AM
1ms audio, can you tell the difference?
by Abdol - 12/07/19 10:18 PM
Looking for Chappell 1886 upright information
by steven_usa - 12/07/19 10:16 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,566
Posts2,899,601
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission