2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
61 members (bobrunyan, c++, chih-wei, chipsneeze, accordeur, Chrispy, 36251, 17 invisible), 422 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 401 of 442 1 2 399 400 401 402 403 441 442
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2775657 10/26/18 11:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
Well I played Blow the man down pretty good for teacher - she was happy I have come a long way in the last week (my counting is improving). I had good rhythm and got all the notes right but it was not up to the proper speed - so she wants me to get that part also. As many have commented on this forum, I will bring each line up to speed individually, then bring it all together.

Have a lot going on so I am getting up to 2 hour/day on practice. Seems that a 45 minute session followed by two 20 minute sessions feels about right. Teach is pushing me into scales before I actually get to them in the book. She added my first scale warm-up a couple weeks ago and this week she assigned me Joy to the World (scale based song) to add to my christmas repertoire. I am also renewing my commitment to 'the joy is in the process'!!


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2776422 10/29/18 09:57 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 354
F
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
F
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 354
I have cleared "Laura" and I am now moving on to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". In honor of having gotten so close to the end of the book I went out and purchased the level 2 Alfred's! I probably won't start that until the beginning of next year though.


Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Progman #2776449 10/29/18 12:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Progman
Well I played Blow the man down pretty good for teacher - she was happy I have come a long way in the last week (my counting is improving). I had good rhythm and got all the notes right but it was not up to the proper speed - so she wants me to get that part also. As many have commented on this forum, I will bring each line up to speed individually, then bring it all together.

Have a lot going on so I am getting up to 2 hour/day on practice. Seems that a 45 minute session followed by two 20 minute sessions feels about right. Teach is pushing me into scales before I actually get to them in the book. She added my first scale warm-up a couple weeks ago and this week she assigned me Joy to the World (scale based song) to add to my christmas repertoire. I am also renewing my commitment to 'the joy is in the process'!!

Well done! Blow the Man Down gives a lot of people issues (there is actually an entire thread about it!), but sounds like you cleared it!

As for me, we've had company so I've had very little practice: I've already warned my teacher, who promises he'll be nice to me grin

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2776452 10/29/18 12:23 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
Way to go Finfan! It looks like most of us go on to Book 2 rather than switching - after book 2 many go another direction rather than book 3. I'm a couple months behind you (at least). I notice as I go along and pay more attention to the process rather than stressing at how much I pass each week, this method feels pretty digestible (not too frustrating). While many complain about the childhood songs - I now appreciate that knowing a song makes it easier to learn the technical aspects of rhythm.


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Finfan #2776513 10/29/18 02:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
Originally Posted by Finfan
I have cleared "Laura" and I am now moving on to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". In honor of having gotten so close to the end of the book I went out and purchased the level 2 Alfred's! I probably won't start that until the beginning of next year though.


Congratulations Finfan. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is a keeper and it’s a good time for it. Book 2 starts with a bunch of review pieces. I’m just taking it a measure at a time.


Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2776624 10/29/18 09:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Glad to hear y'all are moving along. I've been very discouraged and feeling like I wasn't improving, so I put aside the book and worked with other resources for awhile. Tonight I opened the book back up and worked on the 1st page of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I feel like it went very well. In about a half hour, I was able to play through that 1st page more or less smoothly. Maybe a break was just what I needed!


[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
GidgetKeys #2776771 10/30/18 11:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Glad to hear y'all are moving along. I've been very discouraged and feeling like I wasn't improving, so I put aside the book and worked with other resources for awhile. Tonight I opened the book back up and worked on the 1st page of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I feel like it went very well. In about a half hour, I was able to play through that 1st page more or less smoothly. Maybe a break was just what I needed!

Great job, GidgetKeys! I'm hoping my "break" will yield decent results, too!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
GidgetKeys #2777004 10/31/18 08:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Glad to hear y'all are moving along. I've been very discouraged and feeling like I wasn't improving, so I put aside the book and worked with other resources for awhile. Tonight I opened the book back up and worked on the 1st page of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I feel like it went very well. In about a half hour, I was able to play through that 1st page more or less smoothly. Maybe a break was just what I needed!


I think that is a healthy way of responding to a frustration - it seems a short break or switching things up like you did is a good approach. When you got back to Alfred's, are you doing hands separate until up to speed and then hands together slow?


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Progman #2777009 10/31/18 09:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by Progman
... are you doing hands separate until up to speed and then hands together slow?


you know... I don't. but I guess I should and I should know better. I use the Piano Marvel app to help me improve note recognition, accuracy and timing and that's exactly how it progresses through each exercise. I'm going to do that with my Alfred pieces too. Thanks!


[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2777038 10/31/18 10:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
It is clear to me now that HOW we practice is a big factor in how well we learn. But there is something else that I am concerned about - playing for other people! I feel somewhat depressed that I was unable to execute a piece I thought I had down pat for my teacher yesterday. She is quick to point out that it happens all the time - and she generously pointed out it is evident I conquered my original timing problem with the piece. But man I feel like such a spaz. I guess that gets better with time and putting yourself out there - and i guess I take solace that the sense of accomplishment will be sweeter after going through this.


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Progman #2777074 10/31/18 02:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Progman
It is clear to me now that HOW we practice is a big factor in how well we learn. But there is something else that I am concerned about - playing for other people! I feel somewhat depressed that I was unable to execute a piece I thought I had down pat for my teacher yesterday. She is quick to point out that it happens all the time - and she generously pointed out it is evident I conquered my original timing problem with the piece. But man I feel like such a spaz. I guess that gets better with time and putting yourself out there - and i guess I take solace that the sense of accomplishment will be sweeter after going through this.

It happens a lot. I always play much faster in front of my teacher (and much worse than when I practice).

I had a friend over for a few days and tried to play some things for him. Not sure if it's because I was rusty from being on vacation or nervous to play in front of him (likely both), but I didn't play as well as usual. I'm sure with time and experience it will get easier.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Progman #2777255 11/01/18 12:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Progman
I feel somewhat depressed that I was unable to execute a piece I thought I had down pat for my teacher yesterday.


Swallowtail Jig on violin was mine. Irish-style fiddle was something I really wanted to learn, and I was so excited to be able to play a lively piece with my teacher, but when we got to that part of the lesson, I completely botched it. That was over four years ago, and it's still a point of frustration for me today. Honestly, I wish I knew how to beat that. The most interesting advice I've heard on the subject was from Josh Wright (iirc), who said to play it like you're dying, like you love the piece, and this is the very last time you'll get to play it. Ever. I haven't had the opportunity to try that mindset out, but it's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before, so I thought I'd share.


Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas]
Yamaha P-45


[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Downhill_Fast #2777327 11/01/18 05:56 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by Downhill Fast
...The most interesting advice I've heard on the subject was from Josh Wright (iirc), who said to play it like you're dying, like you love the piece, and this is the very last time you'll get to play it. Ever. I haven't had the opportunity to try that mindset out, but it's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before, so I thought I'd share.




I have actually read something very similar to that in one of my piano books. Let's see if I can trick myself into that perspective...


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2777467 11/02/18 10:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
Wonders never cease! I had my first lesson in almost a month last night, and warned my teacher ahead of time that I did not play a lot due to being on vacation and then having some company for a few days.

Somehow, I managed to get through Little Brown Jug, The Mexican hand clapping song, and Auld Lang Syne reasonably well. I have really been trying to go slow, look at the music, and pay more attention to the little numbers they insert for proper fingering ...and he said he could tell and that he was very proud! blush

Thankfully, I don't have too much "new" to work on (except for a couple of small Chopin pieces), but instead will be focusing on doing some more creative things with Christmas Time is Here and the Forest Gump Feather Theme...and of course getting to a few pages of the book.

I'll take a small victory!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
GidgetKeys #2777503 11/02/18 01:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Glad to hear y'all are moving along. I've been very discouraged and feeling like I wasn't improving, so I put aside the book and worked with other resources for awhile. Tonight I opened the book back up and worked on the 1st page of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I feel like it went very well. In about a half hour, I was able to play through that 1st page more or less smoothly. Maybe a break was just what I needed!


Don’t get down GidgetKeys. You’ve done a page of that piece in one practice session so it sounds as if you are doing well. I’m hoping that you are going to join up in the next level. I’m moving really slow but don’t feel pressured like in book 1. Don’t worry about taking some time here and there, you’ll bounce back.

Gilligans Isle was a personal goal and a fun tune to play. I hope to see you all soon.


Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
pathguy #2777601 11/02/18 06:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by pathguy
Wonders never cease! I had my first lesson in almost a month last night, and warned my teacher ahead of time that I did not play a lot due to being on vacation and then having some company for a few days.

Somehow, I managed to get through Little Brown Jug, The Mexican hand clapping song, and Auld Lang Syne reasonably well. I have really been trying to go slow, look at the music, and pay more attention to the little numbers they insert for proper fingering ...and he said he could tell and that he was very proud! blush

Thankfully, I don't have too much "new" to work on (except for a couple of small Chopin pieces), but instead will be focusing on doing some more creative things with Christmas Time is Here and the Forest Gump Feather Theme...and of course getting to a few pages of the book.

I'll take a small victory!


Nice! I like your 3 pointers also.


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Progman #2777704 11/03/18 05:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Progman
Originally Posted by pathguy
Wonders never cease! I had my first lesson in almost a month last night, and warned my teacher ahead of time that I did not play a lot due to being on vacation and then having some company for a few days.

Somehow, I managed to get through Little Brown Jug, The Mexican hand clapping song, and Auld Lang Syne reasonably well. I have really been trying to go slow, look at the music, and pay more attention to the little numbers they insert for proper fingering ...and he said he could tell and that he was very proud! blush

Thankfully, I don't have too much "new" to work on (except for a couple of small Chopin pieces), but instead will be focusing on doing some more creative things with Christmas Time is Here and the Forest Gump Feather Theme...and of course getting to a few pages of the book.

I'll take a small victory!


Nice! I like your 3 pointers also.

Thanks! Because I originally started playing on my own before taking lessons, my hands tend to go where I naturally feel they should go...although that may not be the best position in terms of moving to the next group of notes or chords. Using those little numbers really does help. I find that it may feel awkward at first, but it does make moving on to the next group much easier.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2777719 11/03/18 07:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
My teacher encourages and tests me about looking over a new score before i start practicing it. Finger movement/positions is a big part of that. Another skill to develop....i write lots of numbers on the score!


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2779070 11/07/18 06:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 179
Do you think it's okay to jump around the pieces at the end of the book? Like... I've got a pretty good grasp of Somewhere over the Rainbow, but being the time of year that it is, can I skip to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and then go back to the other pieces after the holidays?


[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... #2779107 11/07/18 08:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
My teacher jumped me 10 pages ahead for Joy to the World. IIRC the songs at the end do not introduce new concepts but re-inforce what you learned already. I actually tried out Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and decided I need easier stuff for now. Try it out, you can tell how hard it is.


Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Page 401 of 442 1 2 399 400 401 402 403 441 442

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,171
Posts3,029,031
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4