2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
siros Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm looking to buy an acoustic piano. I've never owned an acoustic, so I would like opinions about buying and owning ones.

Now I'm in the state of asking the dealers around about model availability and rough prices. I'm a bit surprised to learn that local piano importers/distributors here offer relatively short period of warranty for new piano.
Kawai has standard 4 year of warranty. For Yamaha, it is only 2 years.
I understand that 10 year warranty is the norm in US.
I have yet to locate and contact other brand dealers.

Do you think 2-4 year warranty for new piano is reasonable?
How important is it for a new acoustic piano to have longer period of warranty?
And by this condition, would it be better to just look for a used one?
For comparison, dealers that sell used piano here (usually imported from Japan) offer 3-5 years warranty.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant. I understand that it is what it is where I live. I'm trying to understand the options I have.
Thank you for all comments in advance.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It has been my experience that the highest percentage of new piano warranty issues happen in the first year of ownership. By a few years in, pianos stabilize and whatever is going to show up, will have shown up 99% of the time. So, as far as length is concerned, 4-5 years is fine with me, while shorter than that is not. Longer warranties are usually used for purposes of marketing. Also, there's a difference (in the US) between "limited" and "full" warranties, that describe whether the warranty can be transferred to a future owner. The vast majority of manufacturer warranties for pianos are limited warranties.

Having said all that, the quality of service from the dealer is of equal or higher importance compared with that of the distributor or manufacturer, because oftentimes the dealer has to "eat" the cost of fixing the small stuff that's most likely to occur in that first year of ownership.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Having said all that, the quality of service from the dealer is of equal or higher importance compared with that of the distributor or manufacturer, because oftentimes the dealer has to "eat" the cost of fixing the small stuff that's most likely to occur in that first year of ownership.

Absolutely!

To add to terminaldegree's awesome post, a warranty from a manufacturer will only cover failures due to breakage. The vast majority of service needs on pianos have to do with issues that do not include breakage. They are about adjustments. This is where a dealer with technical knowledge and the desire to fully prep a piano before delivery can make a huge difference.

Good luck in your search!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
siros Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you terminaldegree and Rich Galassini.

When you talk about fixing small stuff and adjustments, do you mean something like voicing and regulation? Or do you mean something more obvious like action issues?
Both dealers offer 4-5 free tunings, but I think what you mean is beyond that.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The experts are absolutely right. You want the best dealer prep, delivery, and after delivery customer care as possible. The first tunings and service are important so your piano settles in just right. After you go through the dealer’s free tunings, be sure to find a great piano technician to keep your new baby sounding it’s best for years to come. There’s a large, sad, guilty group of piano owners who rarely if ever get their pianos tuned or maintained after the first year or so.
Have fun shopping! Best of Luck! I’m on my 3rd new piano and I’ve never, ever had anything happen that needed warranty work.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by siros

Do you think 2-4 year warranty for new piano is reasonable?
How important is it for a new acoustic piano to have longer period of warranty?
And by this condition, would it be better to just look for a used one?
For comparison, dealers that sell used piano here (usually imported from Japan) offer 3-5 years warranty.

No, that all sounds a bit unreasonable to me, nevertheless if that is how it is in your country then that is how it is. However if a Yamaha dealer only offered a two year warranty against 5 years on the same used model I'd laugh in their face , then go away to buy a used one plus lots of lessons with the change.

Last edited by gwing; 10/30/18 10:43 AM.
siros Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by j&j
...After you go through the dealer’s free tunings, be sure to find a great piano technician to keep your new baby sounding it’s best for years to come. ...

I definitely will. As I'm also considering to buy used, I'm looking for one now to evaluate the condition of the piano.

Originally Posted by gwing

...However if a Yamaha dealer only offered a two year warranty against 5 years on the same used model I'd laugh in their face , then go away to buy a used one plus lots of lessons with the change.

At first, I thought buying new would give at least comparable warranty. Given brand new condition, it would provide better peace of mind comparing to buying used.
I'm not sure if it can be bargained during the negotiation.
I will look for more used ones for comparison then.

Thank you again for the suggestions

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission