2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Plover
Of course you wouldn’t travel— You don’t need to. But if you lived someplace without concerts, I bet you would. Think outside of your own little world. Some of us are hungry for great performances. Can I do it often? Of course not
I said I wouldn't travel even if I lived in a remote area without easily available concerts. Maybe part of my thinking is due to the endless number of performances on Youtube.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Plover
Of course you wouldn’t travel— You don’t need to. But if you lived someplace without concerts, I bet you would. Think outside of your own little world. Some of us are hungry for great performances. Can I do it often? Of course not
I said I wouldn't travel even if I lived in a remote area without easily available concerts. Maybe part of my thinking is due to the endless number of performances on Youtube.

Well, if Youtube is like a concert to you, then maybe your are alive at the right time in history wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
For certain performers I might well travel a much longer distance. For example, to see Argerich I'd consider going halfway across the country.
I saw her three or four times right in NYC.

So? grin

As they say, "what's your point".....

Online Content
For certain performers I might well travel a much longer distance. For example, to see Argerich I'd consider going halfway across the country.
I saw her three or four times right in NYC.

So? grin

You didn't have to leave NYC to hear her play.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Which is not a surprise since you live in the 6th largest city in the world as ranked by urban area population. It would be a surprise if you said <some major performer> had never given a concert in NYC.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Very few people travel more than a small distance to see a concert. People who live in a given place know which venues have classical concerts and should check the online listings for those places. It takes just a few minutes to bookmark all the concert listings for all the venues.

Any listings on a PW thread are just duplicates of those listings, and they will only be a minuscule percentage of those listings that are easily available online. If someone is interested enough to travel far to see a famous pianist, just check their website for their concert schedule.

Plover
You live in NYC so you have many options the remainder of us do not have. I have traveled from western Florida to NYC Follow specific pianists? I get to hear so few, that my list to follow would go around s NYC block. Please don’t assume the usefulness to others unless you live in a town of 30,000
You traveled from Florida to NYC for a single concert??

I can't think of any pianists I would travel more than a couple of hours to hear even if I lived in a remote area. I can listen and watch them, sometimes in live performances, on YouTube. It's hard for me to imagine anyone would have a list of more than 10 pianists they would travel a distance to hear.

If whoever said they are traveling from Europe to hear Rzewski play his People United variations is traveling that far ONLY for that concert, I have to say I find that bizarre. I think he plays it on Youtube.

This is a great thread. I know many people that travel hours to see a huge name pianist/performer. It's not uncommon at all.

I also enjoy reading about the events various people are going to, even though I probably won't go.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Many people I know travel for all sorts of recreational reasons. I have friends who travel to see Dave Matthews or other jam bands, friends who do marathons or ultras in various cities and even other countries, some who travel to see presidential libraries, some who travel to see baseball games at various parks even if the teams come here occasionally, etc.

I traveled to NY to see Beegie Adair; made a weekend of it and spent the weekend with my brother, who lives in NJ. I bought tickets to see Lisitsa in Amelia Island, a 6 hr drive, but then she booked another venue right in my town so I cancelled the other one. I also once bought tickets to see Umphrey's McGee in Atlanta but then they came to Miami so I cancelled that one too. My brother once went to Chicago for a special wine tasting after work, came back the same night in and out of Newark.

We've got one life to live, may as well make it count! Traveling by plane is not much different than a long bus ride was years ago. Plus, I have friends and family all over the country, so we make a weekend out of it.

Exactly.

I don't know if there's a pianist I'd travel far to watch; but years ago I flew to Amsterdam to watch the Bangles perform. Last year I flew to London to watch "Harry Potter and the cursed child". And I haven't even mentioned football fans who travel all around Europe to watch their favorite team play.

So if you want to travel far to watch a piano concert: Go for it.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
B
B
About half a century ago, I travelled to Amsterdam to watch Amadeus grin - OK, I happened to be there while on a budget (read: penniless) 'backpacking' Inter-Rail trip around Europe, and even though it cost me one night's accommodation in a youth hostel, I couldn't wait until I'd returned to the UK to watch it, such was my addiction to all things Mozartian. And it was worth it, even if I had to put up with the Dutch subtitles (the movie of course wasn't dubbed, unlike what happens in France and some other countries).

I get the brochure sent to me automatically by post every year from the Schubertiade which is held in Schwarzenberg and Hohenems (Austria), with the delights in 2018 including Sabine Meyer playing the Brahms Clarinet Quintet, Khatia Buniatishvili playing Brahms's Sonata No.3 and Tchaikovsky/Pletnev and Rach's Cello Sonata, Christoph Prégardien and Ian Bostridge singing Schubert, Igor Levit playing the Diabelli, Hamelin playing Beethoven/Liszt, and the pièce de résistance, a mandolin & accordion duo (Avi Avital & Ksenija Sidorova) playing Mozart, Bach, Villa-Lobos and Bartók. Almost irresistible, especially in such idyllic locations.....except that I almost always find somewhere else exotic to travel and climb instead whistle.

Maybe next year.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline

You're looking at this through a remarkably narrow lens.

A few things:

-- What good does that do me now? She's not playing in NYC, nor probably any time soon.

-- I didn't go then. Maybe you might say that's my mistake, and maybe it was. But, maybe someone just wasn't particularly in a mindset of going to concerts at that time (or times), but is now? What if someone didn't go because he just didn't know -- we can even say, maybe it was because we didn't have a thread like this one at that time? Or that it was before this site existed, maybe before this person was on the internet at all and just wasn't much plugged into what concerts were going on?

-- Running through all this, you're looking at this exquisitely personally, which is fine -- for yourself. It takes no account of what might be relevant for others.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Johnstaf: Thanks!

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Mitsuko Uchida is playing Mozart Concertos there on January 31st.

......and yes, she's another one that I would always be interested to know about, and I think many other people are also.

April 30, also at Carnegie.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm planning on seeing Marc-Andre Hamelin at Stern Hall on Nov 15th. Never seen him play in person before, not sure if I should be excited or scared of being demoralized.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693
I'm planning on seeing Marc-Andre Hamelin at Stern Hall on Nov 15th. Never seen him play in person before, not sure if I should be excited or scared of being demoralized.

Hamelin’s concert last week was thrilling. I had heard of him as a brilliant technician and so I expected a cold or sterile performance. Instead: he played a quite varied selection of works — including a long rather modern piece by Feinberg that wasn’t really to my taste — with such commitment and daring (including a couple of little wobbles, or so it seemed) that I eagerly joined in the standing ovation before the intermission. His playing conveyed how deeply interesting this music is to him, and that made me interested in it too. Knocked my socks off! Made me want to be a more daring player, to worry less about hitting every key perfectly and instead to think more about how to deliver to a listener what I love about the music I am playing. Commitment and daring! (And try to hit the right notes too.)

Yeah, these are Big Thoughts for someone who has been playing for less than 2 years! But still, it’s what his playing made me think. Go, and may your playing be enriched!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Plover

I live in London where we certainly have no shortage of music. But I am just about to travel to Vienna for am opera. Of course, everyone is different.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by David-G
I live in London where we certainly have no shortage of music. But I am just about to travel to Vienna for an opera. Of course, everyone is different.

Yes.
I once went from New York to Monte Carlo for an opera. grin

I had gotten kind of obsessed about this particular obscure opera (Cherubin, by Massenet) because of a beautiful old poster for it (about 100 years old). I sent letters and made phone calls all over to try to find out if it was being performed anywhere. (This was long before I was on the internet.) I lucked out -- it so happened that it was being done soon, and in such a beautiful place. This was a total fluke. As I've since learned, years go by without any major performances of it. I would have gone just about anywhere for it.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I’ve always said that if Page Plant Jones and Jason play together is fly anywhere. London would be the most likely site.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693

Me too. I got great seats, perfect really. First tier near the front, perfect view of the keyboard.

I saw him a decade ago at Mannes I think. He played Gaspard and the Liszt sonata on the same program. Make no small plans, they say.

I’m really looking forward to this concert.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
I live in London where we certainly have no shortage of music. But I am just about to travel to Vienna for an opera. Of course, everyone is different.

Yes.

I had gotten kind of obsessed about this particular obscure opera (Cherubin, by Massenet) because of a beautiful old poster for it (about 100 years old). I sent letters and made phone calls all over to try to find out if it was being performed anywhere. (This was long before I was on the internet.) I lucked out -- it so happened that it was being done soon, and in such a beautiful place. This was a total fluke. As I've since learned, years go by without any major performances of it. I would have gone just about anywhere for it.

I looked it up. Oh what fun! How was it? Did you rid yourself of your obsession? I see Naxos has the video of a performance in Sardinia from 2006. I must add to my queue.

A few years ago, I traveled 330mi to see this rarely performed opera, "Oresteia" by Sergei Taneyev. It was totally worth it. Even today, I don't see any videos of Oresteia. But it will live in my memory smile

[Linked Image]

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I looked it up. Oh what fun! How was it? Did you rid yourself of your obsession? I see Naxos has the video of a performance in Sardinia from 2006. I must add to my queue.

It was beautiful, in every way.
As Yogi Berra said after seeing some opera (true story, supposedly), "Even the music was good." ha

Such a beautiful setting and beautiful opera house, such a visually beautiful opera, and yeah, even the music was good. smile
Perhaps not the greatest music ever written but beautiful, and the cast was top-class.

And yes, the obsession ended as soon as I found out that the opera was being performed somewhere, and got the tickets.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

It was beautiful, in every way.
As Yogi Berra said after seeing some opera (true story, supposedly), "Even the music was good." ha

Such a beautiful setting and beautiful opera house, such a visually beautiful opera, and yeah, even the music was good. smile
Perhaps not the greatest music ever written but beautiful, and the cast was top-class.

And yes, the obsession ended as soon as I found out that the opera was being performed somewhere, and got the tickets.

That's so nice. And it was a nice opera house? A friend of my wife's lives part of the year in Monte Carlo and has invited us over to see them. But I've never had a good reason, except to play poker, and I can do that here in the US. Maybe I should look up what is playing... Oh, it appears one of my favorites, Verdi's Otello is playing in January. I wonder what the weather is like in January? Probably too cold.

[Linked Image]

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....I wonder what the weather is like in January? Probably too cold.

Warmer than Washington D.C.! grin

Internet says:
average daily high 54° F
average daily low 46° F

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission