Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
134 registered members (AnthonyPaulO, Amirhsol, Animisha, ando, 7uturu, Alex C, agraffe, alexk3954, anotherscott, amad23, 37 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha P515 First Impression #2775221
10/24/18 01:59 PM
10/24/18 01:59 PM
L
ly95 Offline OP
ly95  Offline OP
L

I received my P515 last Friday and I've been playing on it for several days. Here is some experience that I want to share with you.

Background: I'm a beginner player and can by no means provide professional opinions. What I say here will be highly personal and subjective. Before this digital piano, I practiced mainly on some Steinway baby grand pianos at school.

Action: I really love the action of this piano. It is smooth and even. In my opinion it is better than some of the out of tune grand pianos. The black keys have wood texture, making it very comfortable to touch. I hope white keys are also textured! The action is certainly in the 'medium to heavy' league, which I appreciate while someone else may not. The escapement is noticeable, while I think it's shallower than the real grand, by which I mean the distance from the escape point to the bottom is a little bit less. But I guess this is just a brand specific thing.

Sound: (Opinion based on the use through headphone) The CFX sound is quite different compared with Steinway grand. I'm not saying it's bad; they are just different and I'm happy with it. But we should realize after all it's a digital sound and is hard to be as good as real acoustic ones. One example: I am training my ear to hear individual notes in a chord. On an acoustic piano if I listen carefully I can hear the beat due to interweaving of two notes while on the digital ones there is not. Also, I notice a weird high frequency electrical buzz under certain circumstances. If you own a P515 or CLP series, you may want to try this: turn damper resonace to 10 and leave everything else default, hold the pedal, press A3 and E5, then press A4.

Speaker: I did not use the speakers a lot since one of my reason to go with a digital is not to annoy my neighbors. I only played with speakers a few times and I can say it is certainly beyond my expectation.

Appearance: My P515 is a black version. I don't know about the white version but the black one has a polished look on its two sides, as well as the matching stand. On the top of the panel it also has some wood texture decoration. I especially like the glass music stand that comes in box. The whole instrument looks compact and elegant.

Features: It has a built in bluetooth which is super easy and responsive to connect. If you want to use VST, all you need is a USB 2.0 A to B cable. Once it's connected to the computer, and the VST is on, the sound automatically goes into the piano. All you need to do is to turn off the local MIDI control in the menu. I also briefly tried the Smart Pianist app. It basically replaces the same functionality as the on board buttons with good looking UI. I haven't looked at the chord tracking feature yet.

Summary: Overall I'm really satisfied with this purchase. I knew I would not be disappointed since I've tried CLP645 and loved it before I put the order.

Last edited by ly95; 10/24/18 02:02 PM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: ly95] #2775226
10/24/18 02:21 PM
10/24/18 02:21 PM
M
MeM Offline
MeM  Offline
M

Thanks for the review, Ly95. I think I know what you meant the electric buzz (high frequency hiss, white noise?) and i heard that via speakers as well. I will try the combo note you said as well.

BTW, speaking of the connection to a smart device, I connected P-515 to my iPad with a USB-B to lightning cable from Amazon (~$20 shipped) and I found out, other than the Smartpianist app to control the piano, you can also output the sound of the device via the cable as well, like Pandora or YouTube. You can control the output volume by the volume keys on the device. Supposedly, this will have less loss compared to Bluetooth.

Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: MeM] #2775231
10/24/18 02:50 PM
10/24/18 02:50 PM
America
J
Jitin Online content
Jitin  Online Content
J

America
is the hissing through the speakers or it is a part of the sampling of the sound (i.e can also be noted in headphones)....

if it's occurring only from the speakers, a lot of times the hissing can occur, if you place multiple plugs into the wall sock

et, so if the wall slot has two plugin ports, i would only utilize one. Also, if you place other electronics on the piano, like phone or electric clock, it can trigger it to.

Last edited by Jitin; 10/24/18 02:58 PM.

P155
Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: ly95] #2775255
10/24/18 04:20 PM
10/24/18 04:20 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
J
johanibraaten Offline
johanibraaten  Offline
J

Gothenburg, Sweden
Thank you for your thoughts, P-155 look like a very fine instrument. Is the sound and touch exactly like clp-645 (trough headphones)?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: ly95] #2775302
10/24/18 10:55 PM
10/24/18 10:55 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
ly95, thank you for sharing your thoughts on your new piano.

Originally Posted by ly95
I especially like the glass music stand that comes in box. The whole instrument looks compact and elegant.

Was the glass (really glass?) music stand included with the P-515, or was it part of the matching stand set?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: Kawai James] #2775308
10/25/18 12:17 AM
10/25/18 12:17 AM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Was the glass (really glass?) music stand included with the P-515, or was it part of the matching stand set?

Kind regards,
James
x

sir kj,

it’s clear plastic, and comes with the piano

nice review ly95! thumb

you using a headphone amp?

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: Kawai James] #2775363
10/25/18 08:25 AM
10/25/18 08:25 AM
L
ly95 Offline OP
ly95  Offline OP
L

Originally Posted by MeM
you can also output the sound of the device via the cable as well, like Pandora or YouTube. You can control the output volume by the volume keys on the device.

Thanks MeM, It's good to know!

Originally Posted by Jitin
is the hissing through the speakers or it is a part of the sampling of the sound (i.e can also be noted in headphones)....

It can be heard in headphones. I guess it might be some kind of bug in its resonance algorithms.

Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Is the sound and touch exactly like clp-645 (trough headphones)?

I believe so. All CLP-600 series (except 625, it has no VRM) and P515 should have the same sound engine. As for the touch, Yamaha claim them to be the same NWX. I kind of forget how 645 feels since it was months ago I tried it. Now people could compare them side by side in store if they are available.

Ah, I thought it was glass... But as Jefsco said, it is plastic and it comes with the piano itself.

Originally Posted by Jefsco
you using a headphone amp?

I'm not using an amp. My headphone is a Sennheiser HD 6xx from Massdrop. It works perfectly without an amp.

Re: Yamaha P515 First Impression [Re: ly95] #2775547
10/25/18 09:56 PM
10/25/18 09:56 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by ly95

Ah, I thought it was glass... But as Jefsco said, it is plastic and it comes with the piano itself.

Thanks for confirming!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Octaves -- How to strengthen #5
by CebuKid. 03/23/19 12:18 PM
Chikering rebuilder
by pianoloverus. 03/23/19 10:08 AM
Who has gone to NAMM show?
by Jitin. 03/23/19 09:54 AM
Vienna album
by Sibylle. 03/23/19 05:04 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,067
Posts2,809,842
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission