2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#277543 02/22/08 08:21 AM
L
OP Offline
L
We are going to look at a 10 yr old rosewood 5'10" Kawai KG2-A on Saturday. Can you help me understand the difference between this and the updated millenium action on the Kawai RX series? I have two daughters, ages 13 and 10, who have been playing for 8 and 5 years and are quite advanced. Will the KG2 work well enough for them?

Unfortunately, we are on a very limited budget for this purchase (single income, homeschooling family--and both girls play cello also and will be needing new cellos soon as well!). We were hoping to stay under $5000 for this purchase. This piano is in (supposedly) pristine condition and the owner is asking $7000 and has said that she will work with us on price because she really wants this piano to go to a good home.

We are going to a local piano store that carries new Kawai's before we go look at this one. I thought it would be good for the girls to play on an RX before they go and try the KG. Also, there piano teacher is coming to check out the piano with us--so that will be very helpful. If she gives it a thumbs up, and the girls like it, then we will have our tuner go and look at it.

At this point, just about any piano will be a big improvement over the 50+ yr old Wurlitzer spinet they are playing on now. But I do want to make sure we are getting them the best we can offer given our budget constraints.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

V
V
I thought the RX series was the new version of the GS series, GS standing for Grand Supreme.
RX are very nice grand pianos in my opinion, but I did not find one for 5 grands (yet!).
I was on a budget like you but I would not compromise on quality. My choice was between a new cheaper or an older high quality grand requiring some work from a good technician.
I took the route of the older high quality grand and spend the money I saved to have the technician to prepare/regulate/tune it.
SO far, I am happy with my choice. I have a piano that sounds way better to me than anything I have tried and that costs even twice what I paid for so far.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
The action on the KG will feel heavier than that on the new RX. Your girls may find that off putting--especially because they're used to playing a spinet. The piano teacher may be able to judge its suitability.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had a KG2 similar to the one you describe. I've played on a few new RX-2 since not too long ago. The action on the RX-2 is noticeably quicker than that of the KG2. But for me, I like the KG2 sound better because I think it is fuller and warmer than the RX2.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Both are nice pianos. I like the KGs quite a bit, but the RXs are a definite improvement, mostly in the action department.

Having a teacher go with you to look at pianos isn't a bad idea, but I would strongly recommend having a tech look at the KG to determine how much work, if any, will be required to put it into it's best possible playing condition.

The RX is a known quantity, and it's new, covered by Kawai's warranty. The teacher could help you select a specific instrument, because while they're pretty consistent, there will be tonal differences.

With the KG, you need to factor in potential maintenance costs--regulation, repairs, tuning--moving costs, and the fact that there's not likely to be any warranty included when considering purchasing a used instrument from a private party. These things, at least tuning, delivery, and any subsequent warranty service that might be necessary, should be included in the purchase of a new instrument.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The KG-2A was discontinued by Kawai in 1995. Their ten year age quote is off by a meaningful amount even if they bought the last one off the line.
The rosewood model came with nickel plated hardware instead of traditional brass. Kind of neat. The rosewood finishes along with all the woodlook finishes were suseptable to fading and will usually show darker behind the lid fly and behind the fallboard.
The KG-2 was the most popular selling Kawai of all time. A real workhorse. Great piano.
The new RX-2 was/is a true evolution upgrade in scale design with more sustain and power. The newest Millenium III actions are a wonder.
If you can get the KG2A rosewood between $5k-$7k, and it checks out by a qualified tech (not just your teacher) snap it up.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both the resident techs are right on in their assessment of the KG2 vrs. the RX2. The action and touchweight of the KG2 changed from the KG2D to the KG2E in the mid to the late eighties. The KG2A and KG2S soon followed in the later years. I personally like the firm feel of the later KG action. The RX series besides the new millenium action has duplex scaling which the KG2 series did not have which is no big deal. As I stated in your other thread the higloss Rosewood mdl.with the chrome hardware was considerably more $ than any other finish
(special order).It's nice to know the differences of the two Kawai mdls. but the preowned KG for 5-6K is a steal vrs.the new RX2 in rosewood. Retails for 29K+. You better move quick or someone will snatch that deal while you're still contemplating.

Vincent L
Back than the GS series started at 6'1" either the GS30 and later the GS40. Since Kawai's better series now is the RX. The Kawai KG2 would be comparable size wise to the RX2 in that there was no 5'10" mdl. apart of the GS series.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Hi Mary,

Sounds like you found a great deal on the Kawai KG Grand. Yes I do love the new RX series. Great action! The price is right on the KG if it is in good working condition. Have a tech take a look at it first! Then deside.

Enjoy

Piano Factory Gallery
Dealer of Estonia, Kawai, Bluthner, George Steck and many more.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Since a new RX is much more than 5k I guess its a mute point.

M
M&B Offline
M
The KG series has nothing to do with RX-series. The rims are not the same, the bridges are different, the scale designed has been changed, both lines use a different type of hammer, the actions are far apart from each other, keyboards are not the same neither.
There are too many things separating the KG series from the RX.
Kawai’s RX series is definitely a superior instrument than its predecessor.

V
V
Ok I did not make my point clear and I am sorry for that. Here it is:
- The RX will cost way more than $5000. I have never seen even a RX-1 going for $5000 for the last 12 months. That might change with a coming recession, maybe.
- No point to compare the RX and the KG series: their targeted customer is not the same. The RX and the GS do/did target the same customers: those looking for and being able to afford higher quality instruments. It does not discount the quality of the KGs. I love Kawai pianos, despite the fact I only own Yamahas. Good point about the family smallest GS-30 that is as big as the RX-3.

And last, if the budget is tight, and there are 2 options (used or new), I would rather look at a used high quality instrument that can be properly prepared and tuned to sound to its best or close than a cheap new one. But that is just my opinion.
Example: I would spend $4000 on a used high quality and $1000 a technician to set it properly rather than spending $5000 on a new piano that would never satisfy me.
Now this is tough to find a good used instrument for cheap. It takes time and you have to be lucky. The same thing goes with the good technician you can trust.
A new instrument can be purchased instantly or almost.

And now I remember how painful it was to find the piano I wanted to play on in my house ...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As posted above. If your tech OK's the KG-2 buy it ..

A new RX is way over your stated budget at this juncture.

Older, well cared for, Kawai KG grands that have been used at home usually have many good years left in their life cycle.

Buy it ... Enjoy it ... But only with the tech's approval.

Regards,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
L
OP Offline
L
We went to check out this Kawai yesterday. First we went to the local Kawai dealer and looked at what they had to offer. The girls really liked the RX3, but as I stated earlier a new piano at this price point is just not a possibility for us right now.

The girls' teacher was very pleased with the condition, sound, and action of the used Kawai we looked at (KG2A--1995). The girls really liked it as well--the touch, the sound, and the looks. They say they like it even better than the RX. It is a bit dusty/dirty, but other than that appears to be in great condition and has had very limited use. It was last tuned in April and still was very well in tune. The rosewood finish is gorgeous!

So our tuner is doing us a huge favor and going to look at it this afternoon. Pending his approval, I think this may be the piano for us.

Thanks to everyone who replied--I really appreciate all the input. This is a big decision for us. I'll keep you posted!

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The girls really liked it as well--the touch, the sound, and the looks.
love2learn,

Didn't the girls mention the touch on the KG2A was different from that of the RX-3?

schwammerl.

L
OP Offline
L
They say they really didn't notice a big difference. They are still fairly young, ages 13 and just turned 10. But they have been playing for a good number of years. They did think the RX3 had a slightly better, more rounded sound, probably because it is 6'1" compared to 5'10". They also knew all along that the new RX's were not a possibility for us, so maybe that plays into their opinions, at least in psychological way. I'm just glad they are happy with the feel of the KG2A.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
love2learn
The deal sounded like a no-brainer from the beginning. Congrats if you do pull the trigger on the KG2A. The big question is what did the girls think of the KG2A compared to the RX2 not the RX3.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
M
M
Just curious but what is the main differences (besides the Millenium III action) between the GS-30 & the RX-3.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by menancy:
Just curious but what is the main differences (besides the Millenium III action) between the GS-30 & the RX-3.
Your profile shows that you own a Kawai GS-30.
Here is Kawai's web site where you can read all about the new RX-3's.

www.kawaius.com

Enjoy, smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
L
OP Offline
L
We did it! We came to an agreement with the seller last night and we are buying this rosewood KG2A.

Our tuner looked it over and gave it a definite thumbs up.

This is really exciting for us--our first serious piano. The girls cannot wait to get their hands on it--literally. Hopefully, within the next week or so it will be in our living room and we will all be enjoying it. Once we get it I'll post a picture.

Thanks again for all the advice and input everyone offered. It was really helpful!

Mary

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats Mary,

Great choice for your family.

Hope you and your daughters enjoy that wonderful KG-2 for many years to come. smile

Sincerely,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
And here we are in 2022 and I'm looking at a 1995 KG-2A LOL!

Marcus Valdes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission