Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Angelos58, Carebear, cathryn999, Beowulf, beeboss, cliowa, Alex C, bennevis, Agent88, 11 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 48 of 48 1 2 46 47 48
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: nancyde] #2709267
01/27/18 05:10 PM
01/27/18 05:10 PM
U.S.A
KaylaX Offline
KaylaX  Offline

U.S.A
Originally Posted by nancyde
My 2 favorite instruments--piano and cello. Pretty great that you play in your community orchestra. Are you interested in chamber music?

My 2 favorite instruments--piano and cello. Pretty great that you play in your community orchestra. Are you interested in chamber music?

I have never played Chamber music. Ill have to ask my Cello teacher about that. I am not very good. Kinda like the last chair. But our orchestra is all volunteers and we have kids & adults, and beginners and more advanced. Everyone helps each other. And our performances are free and fun. Its great.

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2709491
01/28/18 02:30 PM
01/28/18 02:30 PM
N
nancyde Offline
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Offline
Silver Subscriber
N

Sounds like lots of fun.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2712294
02/07/18 10:36 AM
02/07/18 10:36 AM
Florida
S
sunnydaze Offline
sunnydaze  Offline
S

Florida
Hi, I am a 52 year old re starter. I grew up in Germany where I had piano lessons from 10 to 16 . After living in the US for 27 years now I discovered my love for the piano again. My current budget allows for a Yamaha P95, which is on the bottom of the " pecking order", but I enjoy the practice and love the freedom to go at my own pace now and rediscover the gift my parents gave me with the lessons (which where not always appreciated at the time). My patient audience consists of 3 senior pets: 2 Siamese and a Chihuahua, who intently
listen for food. Currently I manage to put in 2 hours of practice a day which needs to get more focused on my part. A lesson plan is needed.
I am fortunate to have found this forum in a google search and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and ideas.

Yamaha P95
Started again after 25+ years
Currently loving and relearning the Kuhlau Sonatinas
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2712345
02/07/18 12:56 PM
02/07/18 12:56 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Welcome sunnydaze, you’ll find this forum to be a great resource. It sounds like you have a good practice routine.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2712348
02/07/18 01:11 PM
02/07/18 01:11 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Welcome to the forum, sunnydaze! Where in FL are you? There's a few of us around; I'm in Boca Raton. Two hours seems like enough time. Keep it up!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2712362
02/07/18 01:57 PM
02/07/18 01:57 PM
Phoenix, AZ
agraffe Offline
agraffe  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Hi sunnydaze, for organizing your practice time you may be interested in a book by Tom Heany titled First, Learn to Practice. It is very brief and very comprehensive in its suggestions.

Also, welcome to the forums. You will find many here who love pianos and playing the piano.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: agraffe] #2712424
02/07/18 04:48 PM
02/07/18 04:48 PM
Massachusetts
G
Gibbsey Offline
Gibbsey  Offline
G

Massachusetts
Hi I'm a 64 year old totally newbie living in Massachusetts. I've always wanted to play the piano but work and everyday life got in the way. After getting laid off after 30 years in the same company, I borrowed my grand-daughters keyboard and got and Alfreds book and dived right in. I wish I had started years ago but I'm enjoying learning and seeing my progress.
I'll admit it's probably going a little slower than the kids but I love it. I practice every day it's so enjoyable. I even upgraded to my own Roland NP-30 which I love. Getting used to the weighted keys took a couple of day but it's going good.

Looking forward to retirement so I won't have to practice around my work schedule. I don't have a teacher and I'm kicking around that idea, I know there's lots of advice on here regarding that. I've been reading all the posts on here and some people practice for hours a day now that's impressive. I'm in awe of those people. Love the forum and thanks for all the help here it's nice to know everyone struggles once in a while but just keep at it and you'll get better.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: monkeeys] #2712913
02/09/18 12:06 PM
02/09/18 12:06 PM
Florida
S
sunnydaze Offline
sunnydaze  Offline
S

Florida
Thank you for the welcome, Carolinakeys. Cmb13 : I live in the Pensacola area. Agraffe: thank you for the book tip. I get so lost in playing that I forget about the goal.

Last edited by sunnydaze; 02/09/18 12:07 PM.

Yamaha P95
Started again after 25+ years
Currently loving and relearning the Kuhlau Sonatinas
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: sunnydaze] #2712922
02/09/18 12:28 PM
02/09/18 12:28 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by sunnydaze
Thank you for the welcome, Carolinakeys. Cmb13 : I live in the Pensacola area. Agraffe: thank you for the book tip. I get so lost in playing that I forget about the goal.

Welcome from another Floridian.... although I live on the West Coast. Just a thought if you’re getting your piano fingers back. Try to remember to separate playing from practicing.., mentally and let that guide what you do. For instance, when you are working on getting a sonata back in shape, Refrain from giving yourself the pleasure of playing the sections or measures that you play well, Most of us habitually start from the beginning and just play until we reach a snag.

focus your practice time on those pesky sections that give you problems. Each of us is different, but what works for me is to use a Post-it note arrow to pinpoint the measure that needs focus. When it gets off the needy list, I remove the flag, Your method will of course be different.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by dogperson; 02/09/18 12:30 PM. Reason: Typo

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2713461
02/11/18 02:02 PM
02/11/18 02:02 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
This is a “re-introduction” of sorts as I changed my user name. My niece suggested it since she didn’t like the former carolinakeys and the current monkeeys was a little joke. I don’t question, rather I just exist. I’m the same guy asking dumb questions, just a different name. Thanks.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2713522
02/11/18 04:58 PM
02/11/18 04:58 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Oh, I liked carolinakeys.....Im a Carolinas fan. Tar Heels!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2713536
02/11/18 05:33 PM
02/11/18 05:33 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
I’m right next door to Charlotte and catch all of the Tar Heel news. They have great programs there.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2718877
03/04/18 02:35 PM
03/04/18 02:35 PM
Germany
C
Contraalto64 Offline
Contraalto64  Offline
C

Germany
Hi, I'm a 54 years old German piano restarter. I had some lessons when I was thirteen. But financial issues kept me from going. It was always clear to me that one day, I would return to piano. And so I did. Six years ago I bought myself a nice upright and restarted lessons.
At the moment I don't have a teacher since I'd rather be on my own right now.
A year ago a nice Kawai GE 30 replaced my modest little upright and I enjoy playing even more.
Returning to piano was one of the best decisions ever made.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2719215
03/05/18 07:14 PM
03/05/18 07:14 PM
Oregon
Pallen Offline
Pallen  Offline

Oregon
Greetings, PianoWorld

I am 56 years old from Oregon in the US with my Wife of 18 years. I have repeatedly tried at learning to play music but have found it very difficult as I am a slow learner. Well this time I am being a lot more serious about my practice as I use a 61 key board I was given. I shopped online for a teacher and for 8 months now I have been slowly but consistently learning a lot from her. I have next to no money to save each month for a digital piano slab but will keep at it, and once I both have enough for one AND prove to myself it will get used I will let myself get a used YD P-115 digital piano. I have already obtained an FC3A half and FC4A pedals for use with it as a good faith in myself investment. I am already using the FC4A with my current keyboard.

Using an eMeda 61 KB for dummies Yup, That's really what it's called. Can you blame for wanting to upgrade to an 88 key Digital Piano (ie. YDP115w). Yep, I've got the bug for digital sound and 88 keys. I am learning to play using PianoVideoLesson.com Year 1 Course, and am currently in Unit 3.
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724411
03/26/18 08:59 AM
03/26/18 08:59 AM
R
Reaper_FBB Offline
Reaper_FBB  Offline
R

Hi all. This is actually my second post on this stream:-) I tried learning for the first time in 2012 but got stuck and frustrated after a couple of months and stopped.

However, my girlfriend got to grade 5 while at school (15 years ago) and has recently started playing again. This got me inspired to try again so I'm now a 48-year old beginner.

I started again in September 2017, bought the grade 1 books and aimed to do the grade 1 exam in March 2018. I had my exam on the 2nd March and am happy to say that I passed (and only 5 points short of a Merit).

I've now started the Grade 2 stuff and I'm hoping to do the exam later this year (although this may be a little optimistic since I'm finding the pieces pretty tough).

As well as continuing through the grades, I am aiming to Transcribe a few of my favourite songs. I'm already about half way through "Someone Else" by Queensryche and actually really enjoying it.

Also, I bought the music for I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi and that is going to be a long-term project to dabble with here and there. So yeah, Hello again. I'm really enjoying it and the grade seem to keep me motivated because I have a clear aim... Let's see how it goes,

Cheers

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724521
03/26/18 05:58 PM
03/26/18 05:58 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Good luck on your journey, Reaper! I'm 48 also, began at around 43. It can be done but it takes commitment. I also transcribe sometimes, or modify transcriptions to suit my level, but it is sometimes a big killer of time. Most importantly, have fun!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2724536
03/26/18 06:56 PM
03/26/18 06:56 PM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Offline
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Same here, I'm also 48, started just under 2 years ago. I finally felt confident enough to submit a piece to the Waltz recital. That was a big moment for me. Definitely never too late.

And, even without you posting age, your reference to Queensryche gives away we are the same vintage smile Saw them play at Day on the Green along with Metallica, Faith No More and Soundgarden. What a concert!

Anyway, glad to have you here again, I found this forum really helps me stick with it!

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: squidbot] #2724599
03/27/18 06:10 AM
03/27/18 06:10 AM
R
Reaper_FBB Offline
Reaper_FBB  Offline
R

Nice... I've seen all those bands as well:-) As far as Queensryche goes, I actually saw Geoff Tate earlier this year where he performed the whole of Operation: Mindcrime live since it was the 30th anniversary of the album. Absolutely amazing! He also sang a selection from "Empire" and "Promised Land" including "Someone Else" on hearing which, I suddenly realized that it would be a great song to try to Transcribe, hence where I am now:-)

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766486
09/19/18 03:06 PM
09/19/18 03:06 PM
Claremont, CA
T
Telchar Offline
Telchar  Offline
T

Claremont, CA
Hi all, I'm 60 years old from Southern California. I'm a complete novice who is still trying to formulate a plan of attack that addresses my work schedule. I am planning on finding a teacher as I believe that structure will help keep me focused. I bought a Roland FP-90 a couple weeks ago and have been playing with it practicing scales and sight reading as well a a couple simple songs. Since my work day (including commute time) is usually around 14 hours practice has been brief during the week with longer sessions on weekends. So far progress has been rapid (at least for me), but I can already see several places where a teacher will be of great benefit (hand independence).

I work as a computer security engineer for the electrical grid. After 37 years of computer security it still holds my interest.

Looking forward to the journey!

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766503
09/19/18 04:11 PM
09/19/18 04:11 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
nice to have you on board Techar. A teacher will be of enormous help, even if it is just someone to talk to.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Telchar] #2766518
09/19/18 05:56 PM
09/19/18 05:56 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Telchar
Hi all, I'm 60 years old from Southern California. I'm a complete novice who is still trying to formulate a plan of attack that addresses my work schedule. I am planning on finding a teacher as I believe that structure will help keep me focused. I bought a Roland FP-90 a couple weeks ago and have been playing with it practicing scales and sight reading as well a a couple simple songs. Since my work day (including commute time) is usually around 14 hours practice has been brief during the week with longer sessions on weekends. So far progress has been rapid (at least for me), but I can already see several places where a teacher will be of great benefit (hand independence).

I work as a computer security engineer for the electrical grid. After 37 years of computer security it still holds my interest.

Looking forward to the journey!

Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey!

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2766561
09/19/18 09:52 PM
09/19/18 09:52 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Welcome Telchar, you’ll find some great people here. Enjoy.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775356
10/25/18 07:09 AM
10/25/18 07:09 AM
Finland
J
Juke Offline
Juke  Offline
J

Finland
Since I finally decided to join after being long time lurker, I might as well introduce myself.

Greetings everyone.

I'm 39 year old Finnish man. Six years ago I started learning piano simply because I needed a hobby. Ever since I have practiced almost daily, and I have made clear progress.

My interests are piano (no surprises there smile ), gym and video games. Also, out of curiosity, I'm trying to learn Japanese.

Before starting piano, I listened only metal music, but after I started this new hobby, I have learned to appreciate also classical music.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775376
10/25/18 08:10 AM
10/25/18 08:10 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Hey, Juke, welcome the forum! Some metal has classical roots, and some metal guitarists have classical training. Enjoy the journey.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2775387
10/25/18 09:10 AM
10/25/18 09:10 AM
48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
T
TheophilusCarter Offline
TheophilusCarter  Offline
T

48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
Hi. I’ve been lurking for quite a while, and only posting a little recently, but I might as well introduce myself!

I’m relatively new to piano, but I have played various other instruments to some degree or another for most of my life. After unsuccessfully noodling on piano on and off over the years, I finally decided to get serious about it several years ago, but even then, my progress was a bit irregular. About five months ago, I really got the bug, and have been practicing two hours a day, five or six days a week, and I’m finally making some progress! I’m not following an exact syllabus, but looking at the RCM one, I have some pieces in the level 3 and 4 range, and one that I’d guess is early level 5. I’m following a standard classical kind of curriculum, though that also includes some rock / pop tunes in classical-style arrangements. I’m also dipping my feet into blues piano and hoping to test out the jazz waters someday. Right now, my goal is simply to continue to make practicing a priority, even when life tries to get in the way …

My other interests include, well, more music! I play bass, mostly upright, including some gigging here and there with a small jazz combo, in which my wife plays drums, so that’s cool too! I’m also, on and off, a bit of a gamer of various sorts, having been obsessed with chess at one point, and dabbling in video games, pen-and-paper role-playing games, etc. I also enjoy reading and TV, usually light stuff these days, fantasy, scifi, whathaveyou.

I’m looking forward to learning more about piano from my fellow forum dwellers. Cheers!

Decent upright bassist, aspiring decent pianist
Casio PX-160, Casio CDP-130
Roland KC-80
Page 48 of 48 1 2 46 47 48

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
Kawai CA87 key action noise in comparison
by Carebear. 11/19/18 02:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,423
Posts2,762,768
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission