2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2774850 10/23/18 10:48 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all.

Does anybody have any experience disassembling a Kawai ES110 to access the action? I would like to try and see if I can fix a key clicking noise, but I'm also affraid to break something else while on it.

I suppose that taking off the top cover would at least allow me to give it a quick look and maybe find the failure. Is there anything I should be specially careful about? I never disassembled a digital piano before so any advices are welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Last edited by RodrigoPon; 10/23/18 10:50 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Do yourself a great favor. Get the service manual from Kawai.
Really.

R
OP Offline
R
I didn't know such thing was avalible. I'll look for it online, or perhaps ask Kawai directly.
Thanks.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

R
OP Offline
R
I just found that. Thanks! Any general tips that may be out of the manual?

It's a shame that this manual is so very incomplete. It does not offer what you wanted ... disassembly instructions. frown

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Is your ES110 not under warranty...?

R
OP Offline
R
Yes. I got it months ago (my first unit). I got a second unit with the same defect less than a month ago. Explained here

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ai-es110-clicking-noise.html#Post2771645

I suppose Ill give up the warranty if I open it up. But I don't want to lose more time and money with shippings, also I'm worried that my next unit can even be worse than my current one, assuming they'll be willing to replace again.

Maybe it's time we stopped buying Kawai pianos?
They seem to have the best sounding pianos ... when they work.
But they also seem to have the largest number of defects out-of-box. frown

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Totally understand the frustration but if you open it and something else goes wrong you’ll be faced with more than just a clicking sound...if I had this problem I’d try to make use of the warranty as far as I could possibly take it and maybe even go as far as asking for a completely different DP if they cannot refund me.

Opening it, should really be the last resort once all other possibilities have been exhausted.

Last edited by jamiecw; 10/23/18 03:18 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by jamiecw
Totally understand the frustration but if you open it and something else goes wrong you’ll be faced with more than just a clicking sound...if I had this problem I’d try to make use of the warranty as far as I could possibly take it and maybe even go as far as asking for a completely different DP if they cannot refund me.

Opening it, should really be the last resort once all other possibilities have been exhausted.

Yeah Jamie, I agree with you, but I live in Argentina and warranties here don't work as intended. It's nearly impossible to get a refund or a different piano, I'm actually surprised I managed to get a new replacement unit, which unfortunately didn't work very well as it's also defective. Also I've been without any piano for 2 months because of this, since they have to "evaluate" the situation and apparently that takes a lot of time, and spent 10% of the piano's price on shipping already since they won't cover it. I will have to pay for that again if I send it.

All these things just make me want to fix it myself (at least give it a try, I'm not going to do anything risky: if I don't understand the problem when I open it I'll leave it as it is). Is there really many things that can go wrong only by opening it? I'd like to know this to evaluate if I should open it or not. Maybe somebody who opened one before can share their opinion.

Thanks for your reply!

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Maybe it's time we stopped buying Kawai pianos?
They seem to have the best sounding pianos ... when they work.
But they also seem to have the largest number of defects out-of-box. frown

I wish I found all the clicking noise threads before buying, specially considering my particular situation in Argentina. Maybe Id have gotten the Px160 instead, knowing the risk of es110 and other Kawai models.
I agree that kawais are unbeatable in sound and action, but reliability is as important as those two aspects.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Any chance there is a similar manual for ES8 somewhere?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by EVC2017

Any chance there is a similar manual for ES8 somewhere?

I did a quick search and couldn't find any. I suppose you're considering trying to fix your clicking problem as well? I seen your posts, apparently you have the same problem as me.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon

I did a quick search and couldn't find any. I suppose you're considering trying to fix your clicking problem as well? I seen your posts, apparently you have the same problem as me.

I could not find any either.

Yes, I will do it. I am just waiting for soon to come vacations to work on this project. But mine's warranty is expired (one year only in Brazil). I like the ES8 most of the time but for this freaking click.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Finding piano service manuals online for free is hit or miss. Usually it's a miss.
Just order one from Kawai. Simple.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon

I could not find any either.

Yes, I will do it. I am just waiting for soon to come vacations to work on this project. But mine's warranty is expired (one year only in Brazil). I like the ES8 most of the time but for this freaking click.

I see. Your warranty didn't help you with the click? I agree with MacMacMac, you should email Kawai asking for that manual.

H
H
Thank you so much for that link. It cemented in my mind to never try to take it apart. Kawai was really nice about locating a tech near me to do the work .my es 110 has a 3 yr warranty so I can take it there myself . I hear the part about the hassle of shipping and further issues. That’s exactly why I’m not taking mine in just yet.
Piano button stuck. But main piano sounds great. Master teacher only available here to me for six more months, have no other piano and really just bought this to practice and play piano . No bells no whistles. Guess I got my wish.
Good luck. Mine makes a soft click as keys rise but not very loud .

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Thank you so much for that link. It cemented in my mind to never try to take it apart. Kawai was really nice about locating a tech near me to do the work .my es 110 has a 3 yr warranty so I can take it there myself . I hear the part about the hassle of shipping and further issues. That’s exactly why I’m not taking mine in just yet.
Piano button stuck. But main piano sounds great. Master teacher only available here to me for six more months, have no other piano and really just bought this to practice and play piano . No bells no whistles. Guess I got my wish.
Good luck. Mine makes a soft click as keys rise but not very loud .

Actually, taking off the top cover only doesn't look too hard to do in that manual, and by doing that you should be able to access the stuck button. Disassembling the action is different story tho, but it shouldn't be needed.

Last edited by RodrigoPon; 10/24/18 07:43 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission