2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
BTW, a rendition of an earlier piano solo version of Albert Ketelbey's Romany Rhapsody, called With The Roumanian Gypsies - Phantasie, can be found here, in case the OP recognizes this as the version he was seeking:

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
OP Offline
T
OK, let me (the OP) try to clear up some of the confusion and save a lot of people a lot of time.

1. The title of my search should be, “Long Lost Recital Piece”.
2. It is a teaching piece, and I memorized and performed it after one year of study.
3. I have the saved recital program showing that I performed Romany Rhapsody composed by Benjamin Wermel - no other composer possible. If you will note the original response from Tyrone Slothrop he provides a copy from somewhere showing a list of First and Secobd grade pieces, Arpeggio and Broken Chord Pieces, along with Recital Pieces. There is listed the beginners piece that I learned. Believe me when I say this could have never been originally an orchestral piece.
4. So, i am definitely looking for Romany Rhapsody composed by Benjamin Wermel and published by the Boston Music Company.
5. The back of my piece of music probably looked identical to the photocopy provided to us by Tyrone.
Thank you very much, Tyrone.
Thank you to all of you.
We may just happen upon this piece by some stroke of luck.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Turnthepage!
We may just happen upon this piece by some stroke of luck.

As mentioned, high likelihood this will be at the LOC. Back in the 50's/60's publishers (like Boston Music Company) were much more diligent about sending one copy of every published work to the LOC, than publishers are nowadays. In the Main Reading Room, with the permission of the research librarian, you'll be able to snap a pic of it if on microfilm/microfiche, or snap a cameraphone pic of the pages if it is only in physical form. Obviously other ways of obtaining this might be easier/cheaper, but you should consider this as a last ditch measure.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
OP Offline
T
Oh, to have a mole in DC.
I found another place to search. New York City’s Library of Performing Arts.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/inforeas/researchers.pdf

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/inforeas/researchers.pdf

Good catch, malkin. Hiring someone who already has the proper LOC researcher credentials certainly beats my suggestion of finding someone on Craigslist to pay a visit to the LOC and apply for temporary credentials. With your link, I think we've given the OP all the tools he needs to replace his copy of the score for this piece, depending on his budget for this. All this thread needs to close it is a post from the OP on how he found his missing work, and can now rest. wink

[Linked Image]

T
OP Offline
T
Whoa! I logged in to thank dogperson because I just received an email from eBay that a new Benjamin Wermel piece became available for sale on eBay.
I certainly was not expecting this incredible information from malkin.
Malkin, thank you so much! I appreciate your help.
I hope to close this thread soon.

T
OP Offline
T
WOW! This is my lucky day.
I have an acquaintance in DC, and I sent him an email this afternoon asking if he ever goes to the LOC. He replied that he never has, but that he would go for me. So I hope very soon to be able to close this thread - The Phantom Thread.

T
OP Offline
T
HELP! I need help. Is there a clinical psychologist available on here? I have started snapping up and collecting every vintage teaching piece by Benjamin Wermel that I find.
The good news is that it is only four so far. He writes excellent and delightful teaching pieces. I can see now what he is teaching in every piece he wrote.
But let me say once again, nothing compares to his Romany Rhapsody.
Thank you everybody. I’ll give you a heads up as soon as I am holding the music in my hand. I may even try to post a performance of it.

T
OP Offline
T
Well, my collection of all things Benjamin Wermel came to a screeching halt. A piece came up on eBay this week and the seller was asking $30 for the teaching peace!
No thank you, I’m still holding out for Romany Rhapsody, and waiting to hear from my friend in DC.
I am amazed, however, at how frequently I get emails from eBay informing me that a new (old) Wermel piece is up for sale.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No one ever said it would be cheap.

Learner
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Well, my collection of all things Benjamin Wermel came to a screeching halt. A piece came up on eBay this week and the seller was asking $30 for the teaching peace!
No thank you, I’m still holding out for Romany Rhapsody, and waiting to hear from my friend in DC.

Did your friend in DC know that all his effort is worth less than $30? Make sure you tell him to use the least expensive way of transportation.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I've paid much more than $30 for some of the books I got.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
T
OP Offline
T
Let me clarify. The $30 was for a Benjamin Wermel teaching piece that is not on my wish list. I am still looking for his Romany Rhapsody and I am prepared to pay whatever for Romany Rhapsody when and if it shows up.
I too have paid a lot more than $30 for something I am looking for and really want.
$30 is too much to pay for a piano piece just because it was written by Benjamin Wermel.

It is not anyone’s business, but my friend in DC is doing this for me for free..

I think that is all the rude and obnoxious and unsolicited remarks that I want.
This thread is now closed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry you took off in a huff.
Or maybe it was in a minute and a huff.

Anyway, it would be lovely if you would come back when you are reunited with your piece, and lovelier still if you would post a recording. (You might like to post it on youtube and disable the comments!)

Learner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Turn the page
Sorry you feel like we were not helpful, as a number of us have spent time, more than what may be self-evident, trying to find your sheet music.

Last edited by dogperson; 10/18/18 04:48 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think that is all the rude and obnoxious and unsolicited remarks that I want.

You know what? I've been following this thread with mild amusement. When people are actually trying to be helpful to a stranger on the Internet, and a couple of people make additional comments, that does not make it "rude and obnoxious and unsolicited."

I think you owe some people an apology.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member

This thread is now closed.

Nope.

T
OP Offline
T
Everyone has been extremely helpful, and I want to thank all of those who helped. I was making a joke about being obsessive and collecting every Benjamin Wermel piece that came up, but a $30 price tag for a kiddy piece that I wasn’t even searching for nipped that in the bud. I guess no one got the joke. What I’m willing to pay and what I’m not willing to pay for Romany Rhapsody is absolutely no one’s business. What I’m paying my friend in DC or even if I am paying him is no one’s business. Some people got way off the track and confused helping me find my long lost piece with minding MY business instead of theirs.
I do not owe anyone an apology. I think some people owe me an apology.

T
OP Offline
T
AZNpiano - you’re 2 cents worth was the most offensive. I’m sorry I rattled your cage.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission