2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2773515 10/18/18 04:27 AM
A
almo82 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi All,

Following previous posts about my search for a Grand, I've narrowed it down to these 2 (both New).

Both Pianos are the same size, and, as far as I understand, have the same scale design and Millenium III action . The Shigeru is made by hand in a separate factory, largely hand-assembled : it also costs approx. 70% more.

I tend to like the Shigeru better both Tonally and touchwise - but the difference isn't great, and could be psychological as the pianos are not in the same show room - so a "blind" test isn't feasible. I will say that when I first played the Shigeru I had a "WOW" moment - but now, having played it on 3 different occasions - I'm not so sure.

I've recorded myself playing on both, and listening to the recordings the GX (the less expensive one) sounds slightly "harsher" - an opinion shared by another pianist with whom I've shared the recordings

I am interested in the forums opinion whether these differences are worth the significant difference in price.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 1999
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What level of player are you?
Will this be the last piano you ever buy, or is there a larger/better instrument in your future?
It is funny how the market positions itself— midrange pianos are roughly twice as expensive as the entry level ones, high performance stuff is roughly twice that of midrange product.

I never compared these two series at the same size because of the pricing differential. In an earlier grand piano search, I did consider an okay (not the best example I’ve ever played) SK-3 vs a very well prepped RX-5, and sort of vacillated back and forth, before going in a different direction.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
The fact that you like the Shigeru better is not surprising, It is a better piano.

I played both of them while looking for my piano. I had the exact same experience, nicer piano but is it worth the extra money?

In this case when you are not sure if the added expense is worth it I would consider the following.

1. Look for a lightly used Shigeru so you don't take the initial depreciation hit.

2. Dealers usually have a 5 year or more trade up policy. Buy the GX-2 and if after a couple of years you still want the Shigeru, trade up.

Good luck.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
A
almo82 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Terminal : I'm not a pro but consider myself fairly advanced classical pianist - Diploma level. I am in my 40's so it may or may not be my last piano - time will tell.

Learux; Trade up isn't really an option here, as I am dealing with different dealers - it is part of the problem.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by almo82
Thanks Terminal : I'm not a pro but consider myself fairly advanced classical pianist - Diploma level. I am in my 40's so it may or may not be my last piano - time will tell.

Learux; Trade up isn't really an option here, as I am dealing with different dealers - it is part of the problem.

None of ever ‘know’ if what we buy will be our last piano but I think you can probsbly have a good guess: is the potential piano size limited by your space? If so, it would make it more likely for a future upgrade. Do you anticipate an increase in income at some point (other than just cost of living)?

If it were my decision, I would not buy a piano I considered tonally harsh ..... you will need to hear it for many years, and you should not dread recording yourself. I would buy the SK or keep looking.... including the private market. But then, I am of the school of ‘keep looking until you find a piano you love within your budget’ group. YMMV

You could ask the dealer of the GX-2 if they would try and voice the piano more to your liking. Do you have room for a larger non Shigeru model? It might be more to your liking tonally and would still cost less than the Shigeru.

Unfortunately, only you can decide but your dilemma is a very common one among non millionaires. Some good considerations from terminaldegree.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Unless money is no object, I don’t think I would buy a new top tier piano. You can get a used but nearly new top tier piano for a fraction of the cost of a new one. That’s what I did. I found an SK7 that was about 10 years old but was in like new condition and saved maybe 70% off of the price of a new one. If you went this route you could buy an SK2 or an equivalent top tier piano of a different make for the price of the new GX2 or maybe even less. I know buying used may not be desirable for everyone but I think it’s worth considering.

Last edited by John305; 10/18/18 01:25 PM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Originally Posted by John305
Unless money is no object, I don’t think I would buy a new top tier piano. You can get a used but nearly new top tier piano for a fraction of the cost of a new one. That’s what I did. I found an SK7 that was about 10 years old but was in like new condition and saved maybe 70% off of the price of a new one. If you went this route you could buy an SK2 or an equivalent top tier piano of a different make for the price of the new GX2 or maybe even less. I know buying used may not be desirable for everyone but I think it’s worth considering.
Although a nearly new piano is certainly a good idea, if your piano was 70% off the typical selling price(and not 70% off the latest MSRP) I think you got an exceptional deal. I doubt, for example one can typically buy a 10 year old Steinway for 70% off the price of a new one.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Although a nearly new piano is certainly a good idea, if your piano was 70% off the typical selling price(and not 70% off the latest MSRP) I think you got an exceptional deal. I doubt, for example one can typically buy a 10 year old Steinway for 70% off the price of a new one.

You certainly couldn’t from a dealer. Especially not with a Steinway, since everyone thinks they are made of gold or something.

I’m talking about buying from a private seller. In my search for my piano I found many motivated sellers whose asking prices were in line with what I mentioned above. The number one reason I found for the need to sell was that the sellers were moving and were typically downsizing and could not take the grand piano with them to the new smaller home. I expect this would apply more to the larger grand pianos and less so the smaller ones. In fact, I was advised to look for used concert grand (9 foot) pianos since they are so big and hard to get rid of that they can be had for really great deals.

Last edited by John305; 10/18/18 03:19 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Unless money is no object, I don’t think I would buy a new top tier piano. You can get a used but nearly new top tier piano for a fraction of the cost of a new one. That’s what I did. I found an SK7 that was about 10 years old but was in like new condition and saved maybe 70% off of the price of a new one.

You got an exceptional, once in a lifetime sort of deal that pretty much nobody else could reasonably expect to get. I wouldn't extrapolate that into a typical expectation for everyone, though you make a good point about buying a recently made used piano from a private seller as a way to save money, so long as the buyer is willing to assume all the risk of having no warranty (in most cases) and coming up with the total amount without financing assistance from the seller.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
I can imagine that a 9 foot grand is much too loud for the average home.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Learux

That could very well be but there are people on this forum I believe who have a 9 foot grand in their home.

A
almo82 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I considered looking for a used : Used Shigeru's are extremely hard to find out here - I've yet to see one.

To reply to an earlier Post : the GX2 isn't harsh - in fact its sound is quite mellow. It is only in comparison to the SK2 that it sounds a bit harsh (and through a recording at that) .

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
A
almo82 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've put the two recordings in the attached link for comparison. Both were recorded using the same setup : a portable Zoom recorder using an M/S mic configuration, placed approx. 2 meters behind the pianist - on the Music stand of another instrument.

Apologies for the poor performance - I wasn't trying to be accurate or musical.... in one of them you might actually hear the dealer talking to another customer in the background.

I'm purposely not saying which is which: Both instruments were fully open.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AotslwjoknWchJZ0kC1ny371kYMr4w

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux

That could very well be but there are people on this forum I believe who have a 9 foot grand in their home.

Would a 9' grand even fit in an average home?

Learner
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Number 2 by some margin for me. I have no idea how much preparation could make a difference, so that variable is certainly there.

Last edited by dhull100; 10/19/18 08:08 AM. Reason: Addendum
V
V
Number 2 sounds like a more sophisticated scale design; it sounds more balanced. But Number 1 is also voiced differently, brighter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Despite the background noise on the 2nd recording, I liked the sound of that piano better. The sound was more refined to my ears.

Was it the SK or the GX?

Don't know. Doesn't matter with respect to your question.

Regarding SK vs GX - the "prep" really does matter. I was evaluating potential Kawai purchases for our university at a Kawai dealer. While I was there, among other instruments, I played a "well prepped" GX-3, and immediately after, though in a different room, a SK-2, so not an apples to apples comparison.

I expected to like the SK-2 better.

I didn't. The GX-3 was loads less expensive, and was the better sounding of the two instruments. The "feel" was about the same.

Turns out that the GX had been specially prepped by a Kawai master technician prior to showing a potential buyer.

Conclusion: in the case of the OP, buy the piano you like provided it's in your budget.

As to finding a 70% off SK-7 in near mint condition, wow! They don't project like a concert grand (I played one in front of an orchestra in a hall seating 1500 people), but they can be absolutey gorgeous. In a smaller hall, or in a home with a large music room, they would certainly make my list of top contenders.

Let us know which recording was which. Eh? And good luck with your purchase.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
A
almo82 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Seems to be a consensus on #2 - which is the SK-2 for those who were wondering - well done to all those who guessed right.

As to prep : I haven't considered that point and its a valid one. The GX-2 was brought in at my request - so is very new (literally unboxed a few days ago - 2 days before I came in). Should that be a factor? should I ask it to be voiced?

Last edited by almo82; 10/19/18 01:25 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Almo82,

When I opened my location in San Mateo, we were a Kawai Dealer without access to Shigeru Kawai. At that time I had a competitor in the area with Shigeru Kawai and I needed to prep the GXs to a point where I can close the gap between the performance of the Shigeru and the GX. I dedicated about 6 months also on a GX2 and GX5 doing extensive work and refinements including collaboration from fellow colleagues who have taken Shigeru prepping courses. (We didn't close the gap)
We sold the GX based on the lower price point but non of the buyers or people who were comparing the two pianos ever mentioned that the GX was near the SK regardless how much work we putted into it.

The difference is in many parts of the two pianos, key-balance, type of hammers, shanks, bridges, soundboard, rim, the bass strings are different. Last the factory prepping and follow up.
3 years later we are now a Shigeru Kawai dealer and a GX dealer. We had compare both pianos side to side and the SK are just a better piano.

Regards,

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission