2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 419 of 425 1 2 417 418 419 420 421 424 425
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by AnotherSchmoe
Can I just say "first"? I've been away from this site for the better part of a decade and it blows me away that this thread is still going strong! I recognized it immediately. smile

May I be among the first to say: "Welcome back!"

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great to see so much going on here! I haven't been able to keep up with a lot of things, unfortunately including this thread.

I see that I wasn't keeping up with books about Chopin either! Fascinating to know about the "Chopin's Piano" book. I was horrified to read about Wanda Landowska having to escape without her instruments and other effects, then spending years trying to find them. Very recently the guitar I'd had for 38 years was stolen, and I can imagine just a little bit of what she must have experienced.

My own piano has been away since early June being rebuilt, and will return on 9/28. I literally have not touched a piano during this time-- only an electronic keyboard.

Regarding the bindings of various editions of Chopin-- sadly, the volumes of the Polish National Edition, while they're great otherwise, won't stay open well and could have been constructed a whole lot better. I hope maybe they've been improved in the past few years.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Indeed! We can only wonder what music we would have had if his health had been better and he'd lived longer than his oh-so-short thirty-nine years.

I wonder whether Liszt's later music is a clue to the direction Chopin would have gone? Of course, two different men, but you know, they did seem to have a connection in many ways.

It has always seemed to me that towards the end Chopin was sounding a bit like Brahms. I can't see him as becoming much like Liszt. But I haven't made a detailed analysis of any of that.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For the anniversary of Chopin's death, one of the most striking portraits of him ever:

Chopin Anew by Jan Nyka

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Reposted (posted to wrong forum earlier today):

Article about first person from UK to memorize Chopin's entire output.[/quote]

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's astonishing!

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Needless to say, I have been away for a long, long time. I was astounded for when they talk about things going viral , our thread has to have set some kind of record . 46, 531, 994 people have looked at and read whatever was posted here.. This is the best tribute to Chopin that I can imagine . But I should say I am not surprised. His music lives in the hearts of so many people , around the world . And I know he will continue to be there for decades and decades to come. Thank you all for not giving up on this thread . Thank you Professor Kallberg, I was so pleased to see that you have checked in and answered the questions people posted. To the rest of you, I would like to give you a big hug . I'm back at the piano , after a long time , and trying to relearn all the pieces of music I have forgotten. Wish me luck.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Needless to say, I have been away for a long, long time. I was astounded for when they talk about things going viral , our thread has to have set some kind of record . 46, 531, 994 people have looked at and read whatever was posted here.. This is the best tribute to Chopin that I can imagine . But I should say I am not surprised. His music lives in the hearts of so many people , around the world . And I know he will continue to be there for decades and decades to come. Thank you all for not giving up on this thread . Thank you Professor Kallberg, I was so pleased to see that you have checked in and answered the questions people posted. To the rest of you, I would like to give you a big hug . I'm back at the piano , after a long time , and trying to relearn all the pieces of music I have forgotten. Wish me luck.

Kathleen

HOW GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK! [Linked Image]

.....and I see that meanwhile we've had some more visits by Dr. Kallberg!!

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Kathleen

Welcome back, Kathleen! Glad you’re back to it. I have read some of this thread but it’s too long to read the whole thing. What a success!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
G
G

Kathleen

Do hope you relearn all of the pieces you are now working on! smile

Also, anyone who is devoted to Chopin should watch this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmy9xaXKdg

Will soon be acquiring a Baldwin SF-10 grand -- signed by Jorge Bolet:

https://imgur.com/a/3nkwAKA

G
G
Extra note:

One of the reasons Chopin is a favorite composer of mine is that my blood line ancestry is from Poland since my father originally had a Polish last name that he westernized into an easier to spell and more common American name before he married my mother. I am glad to carry this ancestry going back to Poland. Hence, my particular affection for Chopin's music!

Here is a great recording of the 4th Ballade by Polish pianist, Krystian Zimerman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-GrRQz8pk

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Mark , I certainly remember you as one of the old-timers, not that-you're old. And I do recall your vast knowledge of music and Chopin that you were willing to share with us and, if I'm correct, I seem to also recall a wonderful sense of humor. Thank you for your welcome . I'm glad to be back.

Cmb13. As proud as I am of this thread , I know that you know that nothing like this could ever be accomplished without the help of many, many people. I would venture to say a couple of hundred at one time. The reason I am so proud, even thrilled, is that all those people, the lurkers, and the peepers, and those who contributed , all of them have made their lives richer by learning a little bit more about Chopin . Whether it was about his life or his music or the man himself. And we all know, that we cannot separate the two . Chopin was his music and his music and Chopin. I sat at the piano yesterday and was really dumbfounded at the extent of my muscle memory. It took over . Quite frankly I was pleased and only wished that my brain memory could keep up. I hope to get perhaps 20 or 30 pieces back before the end of next year . But that is certainly a pipedream . Thank you for your good wishes and welcome aboard .

gp84: Thank you for the link to that astounding rendition of Chopin's G minor ballad. It has always been one of my favorites and the pianist certainly did it proud. I also have a Polish heritage. With the exception of my mother, all five of my aunts and uncles were born in Poland. And yes, like you, I was led to him because I wanted to be proud to be Polish. I grew up at a time when Polish jokes were quite the rage, and how I longed to be able to put those insensitive clods in their place by stating that the most famous composer of classical piano was Polish. Of course, I am assuming that none of them had ever heard of him. Their loss, for certain. Thank you for joining us on this thread and I hope to hear from you often.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For Fryderyk's name-day, this unusual portrait, based on the death mask. It has some issues but is mostly successful. (Hair is too dark for one thing.) I don't know anything about the artist, but I received it from Mary-Rose Douglas.

I haven't had any success getting the image to show up here, but I've put it on Box.com for you.

https://app.box.com/s/ps2bk7hd8hqn5rqlxnmwenwoi6fq3mc0

Elene

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Very convincing. Thanks for posting.

Laissez tomber les mains
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can i ask here what is the piece that people usually start with by Chopin? I was listening to Violin Sonata 35 and really enjoyed it as well as some Etudes and was really impressed.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Dobro

I'm afraid I'm confused by your question. Chopin didn't write any violin sonatas. (He did write a trio for violin, cello and piano.) The sonata you mentioned must be a transcription, if it's supposed to have been written by Chopin. Does it say which piece it's a transcription of?

One of the most accessible pieces Chopin did write is the 4th prelude in E minor (Op. 28 No. 4). That would be a likely first piece of his for someone to try. The 6th prelude, in B minor, is at about the same level of difficulty. A few less commonly known miscellaneous short pieces are around as well.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Elene, the piece that i referred to was something i heard on the radio and thats what the announcer called it. The piece was a very good piano and violin. I havent seen a score for it. I will certainly look into the ones that you mentioned as im an 18 month beginner.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
dobro, you can find the easiest Chopin pieces (which are not easy at all, if you ask me) in the Wiener Urtext Primo series, book 5 (Chopin, Liszt, Hiller). This it the list, if you want to look for them on IMSLP:

Bourrée I in G major (KK VIIb/1)
Bourrée II in A major (KK VIIb/2)
Cantabile in Bb major (KK IVb/6)
Waltz in a minor (KK IVb/11)
Sostenuto in Eb major (KK IVb/10)
Prelude in e minor (op. 28/4)
Prelude in b minor (op. 28/6)
Prelude in A major (op. 28/7)
Prelude in c minor (op. 28/20)
Polonaise in Bb major (KK IVa/1)
Mazurka in g minor (op. 67/2)
Mazurka in F major (op. 68/3)
Mazurka in Ab major (op. 7/4a)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
dobro, you can find the easiest Chopin pieces (which are not easy at all, if you ask me) in the Wiener Urtext Primo series, book 5 (Chopin, Liszt, Hiller). This it the list, if you want to look for them on IMSLP:

Bourrée I in G major (KK VIIb/1)
Bourrée II in A major (KK VIIb/2)
Cantabile in Bb major (KK IVb/6)
Waltz in a minor (KK IVb/11)
Sostenuto in Eb major (KK IVb/10)
Prelude in e minor (op. 28/4)
Prelude in b minor (op. 28/6)
Prelude in A major (op. 28/7)
Prelude in c minor (op. 28/20)
Polonaise in Bb major (KK IVa/1)
Mazurka in g minor (op. 67/2)
Mazurka in F major (op. 68/3)
Mazurka in Ab major (op. 7/4a)

What a great list! Thanks for sharing this, I believe I'll save this (there are so many new players asking for accessible Chopin pieces!) smile

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
You're welcome!

The bourrées are easy but not very interesting, the Cantabile and the Sostenuto sound nice and are very short and feasible, the A minor Waltz is the usual one that everybody plays (op. posth. B 150 - hard to play quickly and smoothly IMO), the preludes we all know about them (not easy to make them sound good), the Mazurka in F major is the easiest one, very march-style, the others I haven't tried yet...

Page 419 of 425 1 2 417 418 419 420 421 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission