2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (Bluthendorfer, BachToTheFuture, Alex C, Bill SF Bay, Animisha, AndrewJCW, Carey, 7 invisible), 494 guests, and 576 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette
David-G #2772857 10/15/18 08:39 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by David-G
An extraordinary amount of anti-Schiff sentiment in this thread.

It's only anti his personality, not his piano playing, which is the important thing.

Zaphod #2772939 10/16/18 06:08 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Zaphod

It's only anti his personality, not his piano playing, which is the important thing.

Actually if we were genuinely interested in the music we wouldn't comment on his personality. To describe it as "only anti-personality" could be a cover for many sins.

For example, I checked to see if he was Jewish. Being a good pianist doesn't make him immune to rudeness or incapable of being rude, but then, neither does being bad, which compared to him I'm sure many of us are.

slipperykeys #2773010 10/16/18 10:55 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Originally Posted by Zaphod

Actually if we were genuinely interested in the music we wouldn't comment on his personality. To describe it as "only anti-personality" could be a cover for many sins.

For example, I checked to see if he was Jewish. Being a good pianist doesn't make him immune to rudeness or incapable of being rude, but then, neither does being bad, which compared to him I'm sure many of us are.

I would agree in general, however the discussion on this thread appears to be more about the interaction between him and the audience i.e. his personality, than the actual performance itself.

I don't think personality much matters when judging someone's actual piano playing,

wr #2773014 10/16/18 11:07 AM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by prout

As far as the perfume thing is concerned, I'm not sure where I stand on that. It raises the question, what is a heavy scent? For example if I had a shower with some scented soap? Or is it actually that some scents contain chemicals that some people are allergic to? Not being a particular scent-wearer, I wouldn't know.
Why should anyone use scented soaps, deodorants and shampoos and such-like products. They are all available now in unscented versions and do the same job. The scent has no function. This is not 17th C France where bathing was costly, not available to most people, and where there was a widespread belief that immersion in warm water was bad for you.

For some people, soaps with scent have a function with some similarity to the function of music - it's a matter of esthetic appreciation. I'm thinking quite a lot of people must think that way, since the range of scented soaps is vast. Many such soaps, perhaps most, don't really have much of a scent that lingers on the skin in any noticeable way. The idea is to make bathing pleasant, I think. It's not necessarily about leaving a strong scent after the bath (which might interfere with other scents the person might want to apply later), although there are some that actually are designed to do that.

On a related tangent - years ago Stephen Hough had an active blog at a Brit newspaper site, and I was somewhat surprised to learn from his entries there that he was very much into the world of perfumes and scents, and loved to talk about them. Thinking more about it, I don't know why that would be surprising to me, but it was.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
At least it wasn't snoring - a common problem at many opera performances. Nothing like watching Kundry sing in Parsifal, accompanied by a sonority of someone sawing wood - at the Met, no less! shocked

I think I've found the connection here. The performer whose concert gets coughed at by the cougher would be the coughee. The concern with fragrance would be for those audience members who wake up and smell the coughee.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
JohnSprung #2773037 10/16/18 12:10 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
I think I've found the connection here. The performer whose concert gets coughed at by the cougher would be the coughee. The concern with fragrance would be for those audience members who wake up and smell the coughee.... ;-)

Groan. Chuckling softly.

Best regards,

Deborah
gooddog #2773160 10/16/18 06:32 PM
D
David-G Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gooddog

Groan. Chuckling softly.

!!

JohnSprung #2773165 10/16/18 06:37 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
[quote=wr][quote=prout]

[quote][...]

With all due respect, I don't think that the coughee is someone I would care to smell, thanks all the same! smile

Cheers

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
David-G #2773439 10/17/18 07:36 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How did he know who coughed?

Last edited by johnstaf; 10/17/18 07:36 PM.
David-G #2773445 10/17/18 07:58 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I think the NYC concert coughers are almost bad enough to turn a lifelong Democrat into a Republican.

pianoloverus #2773468 10/17/18 10:19 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think Schiff is a terrific pianist but in master classes he can be quite cruel. I have observed this in person at least twice.

That's disappointing to hear. I've only seen his master classes online and he came across as lovely. What a shame.

David-G #2773482 10/17/18 11:41 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Is this the concert?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000p44

It's only available for a few weeks online.

David-G #2773534 10/18/18 06:17 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At least the Schiff incident didn't end in a brawl, like this here yesterday in Sweden:

https://www.thelocal.se/20181017/fist-fight-breaks-during-mahlers-fifth-in-malmo

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
David-G #2773553 10/18/18 07:40 AM
D
D
Wearing a fragrance isn't essential. Neither is attending a concert or eating at a restauarant. If fragrances bother a person or even provoke allergies I would advise that person to not attend events where an interaction might occur.

Obviously this is a different matter in places where compulsory attendance might be necessary: schools, colleges, hospitals, courtrooms etc. In these cases it is probably more considerate for everyone to minimise the use of fragrances.

Schiff is an ill mannered fool. He nor could the OP possibly be 100% certain of the need or otherwise for the cough so the human being should always be given the benefit of the doubt rather than being publicly shamed by an egomaniac who seems to think he is a gift from god.

johnstaf #2774032 10/20/18 09:09 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf

I think Schiff is a terrific pianist but in master classes he can be quite cruel. I have observed this in person at least twice.

That's disappointing to hear. I've only seen his master classes online and he came across as lovely. What a shame.

In this sort of instance it is probably best to go with your experience of an individual, rather than an anonymous posting on an internet forum.

I have observed this in person at least twice.....

slipperykeys #2774157 10/20/18 07:43 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Originally Posted by johnstaf

In this sort of instance it is probably best to go with your experience of an individual, rather than an anonymous posting on an internet forum.

I have observed this in person at least twice.....

Fair point.

David-G #2774162 10/20/18 08:20 PM
K
K
Schiff is a superb pianist and scholarly musician and has my upmost respect an admiration. I've highly enjoyed his WTC for decades among others. His masterclasses on youtube seem benign enough and he tends to speaks slowly and deliberately during interviews whether in English or German. This incident is of little import and his respect by the public at large and colleagues are what truly represent this master.

kbrod1 #2774167 10/20/18 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by kbrod1
Schiff is a superb pianist and scholarly musician and has my upmost respect an admiration. I've highly enjoyed his WTC for decades among others. His masterclasses on youtube seem benign enough and he tends to speaks slowly and deliberately during interviews whether in English or German. This incident is of little import and his respect by the public at large and colleagues are what truly represent this master.
I agree Schiff is a terrific pianist but don't you think in a masterclass that's being filmed he might act differently than a non filmed masterclass? I found his masterclass behavior so extreme that for quite a while I couldn't listen to his playing objectively. IMO major ridiculing of a student in public is not excusable no matter how great the teacher is.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/20/18 08:37 PM.
David-G #2774186 10/20/18 10:04 PM
K
K
I remember reading that Cortot was very strict and condescending with students. Ironically he too is a pianist I highly admire, perhaps my all around favorite. He said something to the effect of music is a temple and only the chosen few are allowed to enter. Maybe with the constant applause, doting and idolation they become narcissistic in their behavior. Then again some people are malignant narcissists and think they know more than anybody and have done more than anybody ......

pianoloverus #2774197 10/20/18 11:01 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by kbrod1
I agree Schiff is a terrific pianist but don't you think in a masterclass that's being filmed he might act differently than a non filmed masterclass? I found his masterclass behavior so extreme that for quite a while I couldn't listen to his playing objectively. IMO major ridiculing of a student in public is not excusable no matter how great the teacher is.

Totally agree. I observed a masterclass, not Schiff, but another big name completely humiliate an undergraduate music major. He asked her if she could even count to 4. I wonder now if she has anything to do with piano. This approach is so mean-spirited compared to another master class with Andre Watts who was so supportive.

PianogrlNW #2774219 10/21/18 12:29 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
[...]
Totally agree. I observed a masterclass, not Schiff, but another big name completely humiliate an undergraduate music major. He asked her if she could even count to 4. I wonder now if she has anything to do with piano. This approach is so mean-spirited compared to another master class with Andre Watts who was so supportive.

A friend of mine reports that she attended a master class by an internationally acclaimed pianist who so humiliated a student with severe criticism ending with the crass remark: "Why are you even playing the piano?" that the student left the stage in tears, and my friend has lost a great deal of the respect she had had for this artist. My friend, not a pianist but a long-time music aficionado, thought that the student was a fine performer and did not deserve the disrespect she got.

Yes, this artist is a highly respected musician, but such insensitivity so publicly displayed makes one wonder why such a person even gives master classes.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Funny Yamaha promotional booklet
by Sonepica - 01/23/21 12:56 AM
Replacement for Kawai MP11?
by Dan Clark - 01/22/21 09:04 PM
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,476
Posts3,050,341
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission