2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 46 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 45 46
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Maybe, but pound is much more expensive than euro.

Not really. 1£ = 1.13€ currently.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Ok then so it's only that expensive for me in pounds smile

Roland LX708
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Roland says “....and your hands won’t grow tired when playing over longer periods.”
This is regarding the so-called benefits of a longer key/pivot point. To add to the soothing experience of playing these keyboards, Roland has added a finger-massage feature in the form of vibrating keys.

“The keys’ subtle vibrations massage your fingers whilst the extra-long pivot provides for a smooth and fatigue-free playing experience. So kick back and relax; practice is a thing of the past!”

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
"Massage"... I've missed that in descriptions. Main reason for those vibrations is to simulate soundboard vibrations that go to keyboard on acoustic, Sice this digital piano is build differently,vibrations from speakers can't directly affect keyboard hence this Roland's idea, which is interesting. As for longer key- yeah- less tiring practice might be true. It's so much more comfortable to play on concert grand than some smaller grands and I think it's mostly because of different pivot point.

Roland LX708
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, take in mind the "quote" (quote in quotes) was made up by Pete wink Surprise?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I think I've missed or skipped over something in this discussion.

What is the CH version and how does it differ from the not-CH version?

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
It's just the colo(u)r.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
CW is just mat finish instead of polished one. It's a lot cheaper if you don't need that.

Roland LX708
B
B
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by Bambers

Still finding the sound a little... thin??... in the p/mp mid-midhigh range

Hi Bambers,

This is what I think every time I hear YouTube videos of the FP90: I hear thin mids / highs. Didn't hear that whilst playing the LX17 through speakers though. Perhaps when sat in front of 8 speakers all pointing in different directions, the effect is different..

Kind regards,

Doug.

yea, I touched on that a bit afterwards. Playing in a room you're going to get much more real world reverb to put some body into the sound, I think for samples on websites they need to perhaps mess with the settings a bit more rather than it sounding like it's being played in an anechoic chamber which is always going to sound weird.

That one is a fair bit nicer to my ears.

Originally Posted by JoBert

Not really. 1£ = 1.13€ currently.

was close to €1.30 two and a bit years ago... crazy Really quite glad I got back into this and bought a DP in May 16 actually and not later!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Sounded exactly the same to me as the other samples. But having said that I definitely prefer the American sound. Will be interesting to hear it in the flesh, so to speak. Would it persuade me to upgrade from my LX7?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Pete14
Roland says “....and your hands won’t grow tired when playing over longer periods.”
This is regarding the so-called benefits of a longer key/pivot point. To add to the soothing experience of playing these keyboards, Roland has added a finger-massage feature in the form of vibrating keys.

“The keys’ subtle vibrations massage your fingers whilst the extra-long pivot provides for a smooth and fatigue-free playing experience. So kick back and relax; practice is a thing of the past!”

Well then, Roland has "gone cheap" on us! A full time massage therapist came with every V-Grand. smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Colin- I don't think so, it's not a huge upgrade from LX-7, unless you will get LX 708. But if you have money for that then even 706 might be interesting upgrade, anyway too early to tell.

Last edited by Nordomus; 10/16/18 01:05 AM.

Roland LX708
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
BTW is this legit store? https://nebout-hamm.com/boutique/piano-roland-lx708/
They don't answer my questions.

Roland LX708
S
S
BTW is this legit store? https://nebout-hamm.com/boutique/piano-roland-lx708/
They don't answer my questions.

Yes, the store definitely exists.

In the web site it invites you to contact them to arrange an in store try out/ demo.
Also if you go on Google Maps, go to the Paris area, type in “Nebout and Hamm”.

It shows the location with photos of a few Nebout and Hamm piano stores in Paris.
There are even user reviews of customers that have visited the store.

Last edited by sheffsteel; 10/16/18 04:26 AM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Yeah found a bit info as well, gonna try to contact them again then.

Roland LX708
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Also could you change topic so it clearly says about LX-700 series?

Roland LX708
G
G
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
@Nordomus

That is an interesting thread you linked to, thank you. I had no idea Roland uses Grease in their actions. Is this a new thing? Perhaps beginning with the PHA50 action? Or have they used grease in their older actions as well? I was beginning to strongly favor Roland particularly for their actions (edit: and for their solid system stability as well), but this information has turned me off.

AFAIK they always used grease.
It's used mostly in 3 places, and I'm 90% sure it's the same in the new keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/d1oyJRz
The worst are 1 and 2. In 1 there is plastic pin on which key moves and on 2 there is "basket" with grease in it to smooth out key leverage and in both places there is problem with grease moving. In 1 it's worse because once grease moves it can't go back on it's own, on 2 it does go back because of gravity(grease is less dense). I didn't have much problems with 3.
Still, maybe they improved it somehow, I'm really curious and I'm anxious to try those pianos out.

Hi, I apologize for the late response. Thank you for clarifying this. I'm surprised because I've been using a Roland for many years and never had an issue with its action. That's why I was surprised to hear that this could be a problem for the current action. Perhaps the grease is more of a problem for the current PHA 50 action than for the older ones? I'm still undecided on which piano brand has the sturdier actions which last longer. Looks like Roland might be just that, but the grease makes it susceptible to issues down the line. Thanks.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Yeah like I said many times, no piano is perfect unfortunately frown Still I'm very, very interested in this new LX series and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get 708.

Roland LX708
Just my 2 cents here . . .

I think it's great that Yamaha, Kawai and Roland are addressing the "high end" digital piano market. I see a situation one day where I will want a quality piano in my home, but will not have the space to accommodate a baby grand. I understand the tone and atmosphere you get with a grand piano that digitals do not (yet) fully match. At the same time, it would be nice to not have to tune or regulate the instrument - just dial in the character and tone you want.

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread about being able to provide updates to the digital instruments, as this is one of the places that do potentially add value. My primary concern is that Roland does not have a robust track record of longer-term support of a product after the 1.0 release. It would be very satisfying as a customer to know that Roland continued investment in the LX pianos by providing software updates with features and new sounds to existing customers. But their practice is to abandon the prior generation product and introduce an all-new model. Have the LX-17 owners seen any software updates?

I would expect more after paying all that money for the instrument. We will see if this changes in the future.

I have not played any of these instruments, so I cannot comment on anything other than the aesthetics and YouTube videos. I personally prefer Kawai's UI implementation of putting the touch screen on the left cheek block.

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
@Nordomus

That is an interesting thread you linked to, thank you. I had no idea Roland uses Grease in their actions. Is this a new thing? Perhaps beginning with the PHA50 action? Or have they used grease in their older actions as well? I was beginning to strongly favor Roland particularly for their actions (edit: and for their solid system stability as well), but this information has turned me off.

AFAIK they always used grease.
It's used mostly in 3 places, and I'm 90% sure it's the same in the new keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/d1oyJRz
The worst are 1 and 2. In 1 there is plastic pin on which key moves and on 2 there is "basket" with grease in it to smooth out key leverage and in both places there is problem with grease moving. In 1 it's worse because once grease moves it can't go back on it's own, on 2 it does go back because of gravity(grease is less dense). I didn't have much problems with 3.
Still, maybe they improved it somehow, I'm really curious and I'm anxious to try those pianos out.

Hi, I apologize for the late response. Thank you for clarifying this. I'm surprised because I've been using a Roland for many years and never had an issue with its action. That's why I was surprised to hear that this could be a problem for the current action. Perhaps the grease is more of a problem for the current PHA 50 action than for the older ones? I'm still undecided on which piano brand has the sturdier actions which last longer. Looks like Roland might be just that, but the grease makes it susceptible to issues down the line. Thanks.

I think with each new keybed deign, it remains to be seen what problems may occur over time. In a thread a few years ago when Jay was still working for Roland in Canada, he stated that the PHA-III action had thousands of hours of kids pounding on it in schools all across Canada and there had not been any problems reported. I have not heard about problems with newer Roland keybeds, but neither have I heard a statement such as Jay made about the PHA-III either, probably because he no longer works for Roland and the newer keybeds had not been out as long yet.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Page 8 of 46 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission