2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think you and pianoloverus are talking slightly about different points in the development of pianism. Clearly at an earlier point in the development of this skill, practice has a great effect. Even if you don't have "knowledge" of what is good and what is bad, practice will allow pieces to become smoother and sound better. But I think pianoloverus is talking about a phase after you are already technically proficient. At that point, knowledge kicks in because you are proficient enough to control your hands and fingers to be able to do what you want. But what do you want them to do?
Not really what I meant.

At every stage of development, knowledge(both technical and musical) is of critical importance. The correct technical understanding is probably most critical in the beginning of learning so one develops the correct building blocks for later technical challenges. It's true that sheer repetition may help somewhat but will be much slower and reach a plateau quickly if one does not know what one is doing.

Musical understanding is equally important at every level. The more advanced one gets the more advanced the discussion of musical points will be. What's appropriate to tell an advanced student would often be inappropriate to tell a much less advanced one.

Online Content
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Greener
There is no right answer of how it is suppossed to sound. If there were, we could all sound the same. He has no such knowledge. The video is more to do with interpretation and articulation. Specialized training which is skills development.
I don't entirely agree. A missed beat is not a matter of interpretation.
Yes, this was not an interpretive matter but just an error this very advanced student made.

There is no one right way to how a piece should sound but that does not mean every way is right or equally valid. I think that is a basic misconception some posters make.

Greener #2772749 10/15/18 03:41 PM
Online Content
There may be some confusion then of what is musical understanding vs. Technical skill.

This now refers to the latter whereas the comparison was more related to the former. Ie. Musical understanding was what separated the great from not so great. Indeed it is more to do with technical understanding.
What do "this" and 'it" and "the comparison" refer to?

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
laugh

Good one ...

This ... Refers to your recent posts that are more about technical issues and not musical understanding. Yet it was Musical understanding (the former in your initial post) that made for being great vs mediocre. Nonetheles your later post clarified thumb and covered this too.

Had i used quotes would have been helpful i admit. i am using a phone and not great with it yet. Need more practice.

Last edited by Greener; 10/15/18 04:36 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

There is no one right way to how a piece should sound but that does not mean every way is right or equally valid. I think that is a basic misconception some posters make.

And suppose someone told you that your way is not "valid". Exactly how much money are you willing to pay to make it valid?

And such is the business of music. Playing music, intrinsically, has no hierarchy. Hierarchy is entirely manufactured by those who have the money, such as 17th royalty and those who desire to be better than someone else. Totally, manufactured by humans of such propensity. As me, I'm content with learning.

Richrf #2772778 10/15/18 05:11 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Richrf
Totally, manufactured by humans of such propensity.

Conservatories don't manufacturer it. People manufacture through deciding they will listen to one performer vs. another. This is probably the reason that formal training has never mattered for some genres like hiphop or jazz. Because in those genre, listeners don't prefer performances of performers with formal training over those without - in fact, for those genres, the opposite might be true.

Classical music is a genre where there is a clear preference by listeners for those performers of higher skill. Fewer people would go to concerts to listen to you play than Lang Lang. When I go to a concert, I don't consider what degrees the performer has. I consider if I feel they are good and if their music moves me. But as I mentioned above, there appears to be a positive correlation between classical performers that move me with their performances and those that have formal training. I know no classical performers that I like that have had no formal training. It's likely self-selecting. You can rail against the tyranny of a formal training regime, but this doesn't change the fact that people who appreciate classical music prefer more highly skilled performers, all things being equal (e.g., expressiveness, etc.).

Ultimately, conservatories exist because classical music listeners (audience) demand performers with greater skills.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Richrf #2772780 10/15/18 05:23 PM
Online Content

And suppose someone told you that your way is not "valid". Exactly how much money are you willing to pay to make it valid?
That would depend on how much money I had and how badly I wanted to improve. But I don't have the slightest doubt that some people have far more knowledge about the musical and technical aspects of playing the piano than I do and that my playing would get better if I took lessons from them and had the motivation to practice.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That would depend on how much money I had and how badly I wanted to improve. But I don't have the slightest doubt that some people have far more knowledge about the musical and technical aspects of playing the piano than I do and that my playing would get better if I took lessons from them and had the motivation to practice.

Let me know what happens when the ATM runs dry. But before you quit, just remember you don't need money to learn. Your desires are you own, manufactured by your own mind, and have nothing to do with what is required to learn piano.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Ultimately, conservatories exist because classical music listeners (audience) demand performers with greater skills.

Apparently, even more in demand are short dresses, high heels, and high fashion. The elite are a fickled bunch, and their tastes change. Be prepared to change with them. They are not tolerant of those that are not in keeping with their highfalutin tastes.

As for me, high school orchestras are plenty as are grade school bands. I'm just not as demanding as some.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
And who are these posters? Do they reveal their own pianistic expertise? I think each poster should post an example of his or her playing so that we have something to judge their opinions by.

Some, like me, post a link in their signature. Most of the recordings on my channel were recorded for the online recitals here and you can look for recordings by user name in the ABF Recital Index.

Not everyone chooses to participate in the recitals and that is just fine. But for those who want to verify the performances of a given ABF poster, Piano World is actually a pretty good resource.

You can also check the Member Recordings channels for both Classical and Non-classical forums.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Richrf #2772797 10/15/18 06:27 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Richrf, I agree you do not need money to learn. It is harder to learn on your own than have an expert teach you. For instance, golf, swimming, tennis, karate, etc.... I few music as a hobby for relaxation and enjoyment, even though as I mentioned lessons can be stressful, but is is a good stress. I feel I am putting money towards improving myself, mind, spirit, and health. I have taken care (professionally) of people who had self-destructive behaviors such as gambling, drugs, and alcoholism. I am sure this well would run dry fast, cocaine is really expensive. People work and it is important to reward yourself with something you value, and in fact it may be something other than music lessons.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
DFSRN #2772828 10/15/18 07:47 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Richrf, I agree you do not need money to learn. It is harder to learn on your own than have an expert teach you. For instance, golf, swimming, tennis, karate, etc.... I few music as a hobby for relaxation and enjoyment, even though as I mentioned lessons can be stressful, but is is a good stress. I feel I am putting money towards improving myself, mind, spirit, and health. I have taken care (professionally) of people who had self-destructive behaviors such as gambling, drugs, and alcoholism. I am sure this well would run dry fast, cocaine is really expensive. People work and it is important to reward yourself with something you value, and in fact it may be something other than music lessons.

What is interesting, is that as one practices the skill of learning and self-teaching, learning skills on one's own becomes easier. Learning by oneself is a skill just like any other skill. I've taught myself many things and continue to get better at it, as I practice it. The fundamental skills needed for self-study are: 1) relaxation 2) awareness 3) sensitivity 4) flexibility 5) creative imagination.

However, if one wishes to pay money for information, then that is an individual choice. What I object to is the myth that it requires thousands of dollars to learn and enjoy any hobby of any sort. It's simply an artificial, manufactured barrier that keeps people from enjoying their creative being.

Richrf #2772836 10/15/18 08:05 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What I object to is the myth that it requires thousands of dollars to learn and enjoy any hobby of any sort. It's simply an artificial, manufactured barrier that keeps people from enjoying their creative being.

I think you have manufactured that myth/strawman yourself. I certainly have never heard (or read) any statement on this forum or elsewhere that one must pay to enjoy a hobby. I think though for some people, myself included, part of the enjoyment of a hobby is to achieve a certain standard in one's hobby. Sometimes the easiest way to do that - the path of least resistance, if you will - is to pay someone to teach you. And as you say, if money is not a limiting factor, then why not? I have a friend whose hobby is sailing and certainly he has spent > 50x on his hobby than I have on mine so far, if one is comparing hobbies smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What I object to is the myth that it requires thousands of dollars to learn and enjoy any hobby of any sort. It's simply an artificial, manufactured barrier that keeps people from enjoying their creative being.

I think you have manufactured that myth yourself. I certainly have never heard (or read) any statement on this forum or elsewhere that one must pay to enjoy a hobby. I think though for some people, myself included, part of the enjoyment of a hobby is to achieve a certain standard in one's hobby. Sometimes the easiest way to do that - the path of least resistance, if you will - is to pay someone to teach you. And as you say, if money is not a limiting factor, then why not? I have a friend whose hobby is sailing and certainly he has spent > 50x on his hobby than I have on mine so far, if one is comparing hobbies smile

Well, I saw posts referencing golf, karate, flying, swimming etc... What I think Richrf said it that spending money is NOT necessary - but if one WANTS to spend money on a teacher, that is their choice. That is the way I have interpreted his comments, right or wrong grin

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
[
I think you have manufactured that myth/strawman yourself. I certainly have never heard (or read) any statement on this forum or elsewhere that one must pay to enjoy a hobby. I think though for some people, myself included, part of the enjoyment of a hobby is to achieve a certain standard in one's hobby. Sometimes the easiest way to do that - the path of least resistance, if you will - is to pay someone to teach you. And as you say, if money is not a limiting factor, then why not? I have a friend whose hobby is sailing and certainly he has spent > 50x on his hobby than I have on mine so far, if one is comparing hobbies smile

Why not? Because of all the downsides of having a teacher, and there are many, particularly because money is involved. As a said in my opening comments in this thread, having a teacher is not a panacea, it is just different. It guarantees nothing. What happens, happens. For example, most people I know who had a teacher ended up quitting. Just one possible outcome.

As far as me manufacturing myths, then I'll wait patiently until the next question someone asks, is answered with the totally empty reply of "Get a teacher". At $60/hour per week, that is $3000 to learn a few cute tunes.

Last edited by Richrf; 10/15/18 08:27 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Well, I saw posts referencing golf, karate, flying, swimming etc... What I think Richrf said it that spending money is NOT necessary - but if one WANTS to spend money on a teacher, that is their choice. That is the way I have interpreted his comments, right or wrong grin

Precisely, on target. :-)

I have a feeling we are talking about different objectives here.

If one wants to just enjoy learning music by oneself, they can go at it whichever way they want. There is nothing wrong with that.

But for someone who is serious about getting to play really well in a reasonable time period, lessons with good teacher(s) are almost a must.
I could try to figure out how to play one of Beethoven Sonatas technically and musically well by myself, but it might take longer than my lifespan to accomplish that.
Learning from someone with skills and experience is the solution for these people.

I used to be in "I can do all this by myself" too. Lessons from a good teacher changed that perspective.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Siros.
I know it’s not likely, but I really feel the need to ask, so I hope you don’t mind the question: any chance you are taking lessons from Paul Barton?? I can imagine he would be a wonderful private teacher

Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Siros.
I know it’s not likely, but I really feel the need to ask, so I hope you don’t mind the question: any chance you are taking lessons from Paul Barton?? I can imagine he would be a wonderful private teacher

Hi.
No, I haven't. Though it would be nice if I could. I really enjoy his videos.
I think he lives in a different city far away from me.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Everything is game for learning. It's even hard to really do the wrong thing provided you stay with it long enough.
I think one only has to listen to amateurs who have been playing their whole lives but with little good instruction to see that is not the case. Same for tennis players. Just go to the public courts and watch most of the people who play there regularly who cannot hit a backhand well if their life depended on it.

And watch those retired golfers. Many have been playing their whole lives and they still haven't the slightest idea of the motion that produces a "good" golf shot.

You cannot "watch" a good golfer play and then "learn" by watching. There is a subtle concept that is at work within the swing motion that cannot be observed .... it can be produced, of course, but only if you know about it. You cannot "see" it.

It is very possible that playing piano contains 1 or more of those "unobservable" concepts that produce results found in high quality playing. I would think it to be true.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission